PDA

View Full Version : "Spurs Win, We Yawn"

SpursFanFirst
06-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Spurs keep winning, we keep yawning
Michael Rosenberg
Special to FOXSports.com, Updated 9 hours ago

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6887716?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10136

Ah, the San Antonio Spurs. The more they win, the more you want them to hide under a rock.

In a week and a half — maybe two weeks, depending on LeBron James' level of brilliance — the Spurs will almost certainly win their fourth championship in nine years. It will also be their third title in the last five years.
This will place San Antonio among the elite of the elite. Since the end of the Bill Russell Celtics, only two dynasties won more than four championships: the Magic Lakers and the MJ Bulls. And the Spurs should contend for several more years. Tim Duncan is only 31, Manu Ginobili is 29 and Tony Parker is 25.

And what do the Spurs get for their hard work, no-nonsense attitude and unparalleled excellence? Yawns.

This must be the least popular great team in recent sports history. The Spurs do not even evoke the hatred of the Yankees or Notre Dame, institutions that have long had the best of everything and lord it over the masses. :lol They make you feel the way you once felt about chemistry class — as soon as you sit down, you get a headache and can't wait for the bell to ring so you can go anywhere else in the world.

The Spurs used to be known as nice, boring guys. Now we don't even give them that. They are the villain in this series — the tough guys trying to keep LeBron from his ring.

The Spurs' reputation has taken some shots lately. There was the Robert Horry hip-check of Steve Nash in the Phoenix series, followed by the suspension of prominent Suns Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw — suspensions that followed the letter of the law but went against most fans' sense of fairness.

And speaking of fairness: Here comes Bruce Bowen. Watch your ankles.

Bowen is one of the nicest guys in the league, and one of the best defensive players of the era. But he has earned (yes, earned) his title as the chippiest player in his sport. NBA players don't accidentally trip jump shooters on a regular basis. When one player is consistently accused of something that nobody else is accused of, that player has probably crossed the line.

Now Bowen will guard James, probably as well as any human can. And Duncan — also one of the best defensive players of his generation — will be in the lane, ready to meet LeBron. All they will be trying to do is stop America's next basketball icon. Good luck winning fans with that.

It isn't really the Spurs' fault (well, except for Bowen's cheap shots). In so many ways, they are such a likeable team. Duncan might be boring, but he goes into every season with the sole goal of winning a championship. He doesn't care about the scoring title (like Kobe) or clowning around (like Shaq) or his TV commercials (like, uh, almost everybody else). He just wants to win.

Wilt Chamberlain once famously said it was his role to be played against. The Spurs are the same way. Of the millions who will tune in to the NBA finals, most will want to know if LeBron can beat San Antonio. If the Spurs win...well, did you see that move by LeBron? :depressed

Someday, maybe we will all appreciate the Spurs' greatness. In the meantime, the best thing anybody can say about the San Antonio Spurs is actually the greatest compliment of all: Nobody could beat them. :tu

Let 'em yawn...Spurs fans will be happy! :hungry:

Hook Dem
06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Amen to that Michael Rosenburg! :clap

Solid D
06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Meanwhile, Charles Barkley sits on the TNT set and shouts out "What's His Name?", right?

Meanwhile, ESPN highlights never have any shots of Tony Parker's amazing finishes in traffic or Manu Ginobili's twisted-beyond-comfort trick shots, right?

Meanwhile, NBA tv, Fox, ABC/ESPN never show that play of Tony Parker passing it to Manu between Okur's legs, right?

Real Tomato Ketchup
06-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Any dumb SOB that still thinks the Spurs are boring just aren't watching. Plain and simple!

1SUNSFAN
06-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Any dumb SOB that still thinks the Spurs are boring just aren't watching. Plain and simple!

You're right... we aren't watching! Because the SPURS are BORING! Try to dunk one handed once in a while and maybe even pump fake it or something... Tim with his bank shots looks like he's out there playing a game of horse! :dizzy

nkdlunch
06-07-2007, 12:33 PM
You're right... we aren't watching! Because the SPURS are BORING! Try to dunk one handed once in a while and maybe even pump fake it or something... Tim with his bank shots looks like he's out there playing a game of horse! :dizzy

I love the bankshot! it's money

JMarkJohns
06-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Spurs aren't boring. They just aren't the Suns. Which is why they are still playing.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-07-2007, 12:35 PM

Is that your idea of fun and entertaining? You are miles aways from being a true basketball fun and thousands of miles away from being an olympic gold medalist contender.

cheguevara
06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
hey sun fan, how is the fishing season going?

LuvBones
06-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Winning is everything. Period.

MadDog73
06-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Yep, Tony, Manu and Tim are all boring. I can't believe anyone will even watch the Finals. Yeah, LeBron is great, but Manu sucks all the excitement out the place.

:rolleyes

OldDirtMcGirt
06-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I don't get this. I think that Cleveland is way more boring than San Antonio. Did anybody see the basketball holocaust that was New Jersey versus Cleveland? That was absolutely disgusting.

JMarkJohns
06-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't get this. I think that Cleveland is way more boring than San Antonio. Did anybody see the basketball holocaust that was New Jersey versus Cleveland? That was absolutely disgusting.

Isolation offense is always going to be more boring than team ball. Yes, the Spurs have their share of isolation players and run their fair share for them, but they aren't strictly dependant upon such. If James can't attack, then all they do is settle and settling isn't exciting. The Spurs rarely settle. They attack the rim, attack the post, screen-n-roll, transition when it's there and play team ball when it's not. There's nothing boring about a team that routinely puts up 100 points. No, it's not 110, but it's a far cry from 75/80...

Trainwreck2100
06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Isolation offense is always going to be more boring than team ball. Yes, the Spurs have their share of isolation players and run their fair share for them, but they aren't strictly dependant upon such. If James can't attack, then all they do is settle and settling isn't exciting. The Spurs rarely settle. They attack the rim, attack the post, screen-n-roll, transition when it's there and play team ball when it's not. There's nothing boring about a team that routinely puts up 100 points. No, it's not 110, but it's a far cry from 75/80...

He may have been talking about NJ scoring single digit points in the fourth AND WINNING.

JMarkJohns
06-07-2007, 12:51 PM
He may have been talking about NJ scoring single digit points in the fourth AND WINNING.

Yeah... Both teams settle.

I was talking big picture.

judaspriestess
06-07-2007, 12:51 PM
I guess michael rosenberg doesn't want to yawn he wants to jerk off watching the finals.

thats the (L)east for you.

ambchang
06-07-2007, 12:53 PM
If a Spur dunked and no Suns fans were around to see it, was there a dunk?

No no, let's make it,
If a Spur dunked and no Suns fans were around to see it, why would the Suns fan be able to comment on how the Spurs never dunked?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ycNu7vi657c

judaspriestess
06-07-2007, 12:55 PM

next time you actually pay attention to a game, look for the white square right above the rim on the backboard and take a semi educated guess as to why its there.

ATRAIN
06-07-2007, 12:58 PM

WE will save the dunks to the idiots who dont care to win COUGH COUGH SUNS COUGH!!

Mixability
06-07-2007, 12:59 PM
The Spurs save the flash, glitz and glamour for when it's necessary:

After the O'Brien is handed over by David Stern.

Extra Stout
06-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Have Eddie Johnson write an article in his blog, suggesting the league add a panel of judges on the sideline who award bonus style points for dunks.

Then, if the league adopted that rule, maybe the Suns might have a prayer of winning a title.

JMarkJohns
06-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Have Eddie Johnson write an article in his blog, suggesting the league add a panel of judges on the sideline who award bonus style points for dunks.

Then, if the league adopted that rule, maybe the Suns might have a prayer of winning a title.

If D'Antoni is still the coach, he'll mess even that up...

JMarkJohns
06-07-2007, 01:23 PM
It seems like you are the only true intelligent Suns fan; and its not because you kiss the Spurs ass, it's because you aren't a blind homer. You know that the Suns need to improve to win a title, instead of whinning and complaining about how Stern screwed your team over.

I commend you sir!

While I appreciate the praise, I'm not nearly the only good Suns fan. There are plenty. Sir Chaz who's been here longer than I, my buds from various other sites, AZLouis and BillsCarnage, one of the few open minds frm PHXsuns.net, Xylus, Some RA-RA, but still sensical fans like Ron Mexico and Catharsis, and a few newbies like OldDirtMcGirt... Check 'em out.

There are others, but them's the tops in my book. Most post pretty frequently, just not as much as I do on non-Suns topics.

Avitus1
06-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Whatta dumbass

Shaolin-Style
06-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Let them bitches yawn. I'll be pumped up like a ninja for months.

BWJACKETS
06-07-2007, 02:22 PM

They are boring, and that's why people aren't watching. Plain and simple. I've watched San Antonio enough to know that not everything is all boring basketball, however I've got to admit usually me watching the Spurs stems from me being at home at that particular moment with absolutely nothing else on TV, and usually it's because they're playing another good team. Also, your team is comprised of people with names like Ginobili and Oberto, what American fan is going to want to watch foreign floppers falling all over the place? Also, none of your players have any personality. Besides Bowen giving your whole team a bad name, incidents like Duncan being a jackass on the bench don't help your cause either.

Sorry, but the only way the Spurs are being recognized by the American public as a great team is if they win like 5 more titles, because as a team goes they have already cemented their legacy as the most unlikeable team in a long while regardless of sport.

jag
06-07-2007, 02:53 PM
"Someday, maybe we will all appreciate the Spurs' greatness. In the meantime, the best thing anybody can say about the San Antonio Spurs is actually the greatest compliment of all: Nobody could beat them."

The Spurs may never be the most liked team, but they've always been respected. That means more than seeing dunk highlights on ESPN.

Budkin
06-07-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm tired of all these motherfuckers that don't actually watch the Spurs calling them boring. Well guess what... because of LeBron a shitload of people will be watching and can now decide for themselves.