PDA

View Full Version : Duncan: Best Power Forward Ever? USA Today

duncan228
06-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Hope it hasn't been posted...I looked!
Nice article, backs up the "yes" answer!
(Just trying to pass the time!)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2007-06-06-bonus-duncan_N.htm

Tim Duncan: best power forward ever?

By David DuPree, USA TODAY

SAN ANTONIO — Tim Duncan stands out because he doesn't stick out. He is a selfless, fundamentally sound all-star in a league that thrives on pomp and flair.
The San Antonio Spurs star could also be the greatest power forward in NBA history.

The position is a modern-day amalgam that requires old-school skills. You have to be a scorer, rebounder, facilitator, shot blocker, passer and team defender.

Some players meet more than one of those requirements; Duncan has mastered them all.

"He is probably the best player to ever play the position the way he plays it," said Utah coach Jerry Sloan, who coached Jazz great Karl Malone.

With Duncan as the centerpiece, the Spurs have won three NBA titles (1999, 2003 and 2005) and are going for a fourth beginning Thursday night (9 ET, ABC) against LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers. No matter what the outcome, Duncan's place in history is secure.

"I think all around, there's never been a big forward quite like him," said Hall of Fame coach and analyst Jack Ramsay. "Bob Pettit was a great scorer and rebounder. Karl Malone was a more powerful player, but they didn't have the versatility Tim does. Kevin McHale was probably the best low-post, back-to-the-basket big forward, and he was a good defender, but he, too, couldn't do the things Duncan can do."

McHale, now vice president of basketball operations for the Minnesota Timberwolves, also puts Duncan at the top of the list.

"With what he has done, three championships in eight years and having the Spurs right there for a fourth, he has to be right up there," the former Boston Celtics star said. "The thing about him is he's not flashy. He just goes out and plays."

Duncan is averaging 23.2 points, 11.4 rebounds, 3.3 blocked shots, 3.1 assists and is shooting 53.9% from the field in the playoffs.

During the postseason, he had a string of 11 consecutive games with at least 20 points and 10 rebounds. He has had game highs of 33 points, 19 rebounds, nine blocked shots and seven assists in different contests.

"He's one person who impacts every single aspect of the game," said former teammate David Robinson. "Everything you ask him to do he's able to do."

"He may be a 7-footer, but he's basically a quarterback in shorts," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

Team feeds off his steadiness

It's never about the individual accomplishments with Duncan.

"I feel good right now," Duncan said. "On top of putting those kinds of numbers up, we're winning games and winning series, and that's all that matters."

Robinson, a former league MVP who teamed with Duncan to help the Spurs win their first two championships, has witnessed Duncan's growth from an eager yet consistent and dominant rookie to a polished superstar without changing his demeanor or approach.

"No question he's the greatest power forward ever," Robinson said. "It's hard to compare anyone to Tim. He's in a class by himself. He's been consistently good for so long, and he's been ridiculous from Day One. He's just a steady presence, and the team feeds off it."

Because his style looks simple and he never seeks attention or accolades, Duncan is often taken for granted by the media and fans. Not so with his teammates and peers.

"He doesn't worry about credit," said Popovich, the only NBA coach Duncan has had. "It's fool's gold and doesn't figure into the equation to him."

What does figure into Duncan's equation is winning.

Since he joined the team as the first pick in the 1997 draft, the Spurs have had the best winning percentage in any of the four professional major sports (.709).

Duncan this season made the All-NBA first team and all-defensive first team. In his 10 seasons in the league, he has made All-NBA first team nine times and second team once. He has been named to the all-defensive first team seven times and the second team three times. He's been to the NBA Finals three times, has three rings and three Finals MVP awards to go with his two NBA MVP awards.

These are incredible feats for a player in a sport driven by highlights of spectacular plays. Duncan says every time he tries something fancy he loses the ball.

"He is just a steady man, and it's a pleasure to play alongside a guy like that because he opens up so many shots and creates so many opportunities," teammate Bruce Bowen said. "Look at all of his MVPs and All-NBA stats. It's truly incredible. But he would never tell you that. That's his humbleness, and we need more of that in this world."

Funny bone emerges

Though it is as hard to get a comment from Duncan about himself as it is for opponents to contain him, he does have a sense of humor and manages to loosen things up when necessary.

Manu Ginobili was in a horrendous shooting slump early in the playoffs until he got belted in the eye during the Phoenix series, causing a large welt that made him look like Rocky Balboa.

"It fixed his shot. I might do the other eye," Duncan said deadpan. Then in the Utah series, Duncan was cut under his eye from an errant elbow and said he asked for it because he liked the way it looked on Ginobili. "I think it's sexy," he said jokingly.

Duncan laughs so rarely on the court that when referee Joey Crawford saw him doing it during a game against the Dallas Mavericks on April 15, Crawford took it as Duncan taunting him and ejected the Spurs big man.

What isn't funny is trying to defend Duncan.

"He's probably the best post-up player we have in the world," Utah's Carlos Boozer said. "He has every move. He has poise. He never gets rattled. You can send a double-team at him, but he'll pass out of it. If he has single coverage, he'll face you up and shoot off the glass, get the layup, spin move baseline, right hook, left hook, fadeaway.

"He can do whatever he wants down there."

Duncan has been criticized as being soft, but former NBA coach Rick Carlisle dismisses that.

"He's such a great guy and a great person that the thing you forget is the thing that may define him — he's a cold-blooded killer as a competitor," Carlisle said. "There is no one tougher and no one who loves winning or hates losing more than Tim Duncan. With a superstar who is that good, that competitive and that selfless, you've got a franchise cornerstone and one of the greats of all time."

Power forwards are so critical to a team's success that seven of the past 15 league MVPs have played the position —Charles Barkley of the Phoenix Suns (1993), Utah's Malone (1997 and 1999), Duncan (2002 and 2003), Kevin Garnett of the Minnesota Timberwolves (2004) and Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks this season.

Pettit is a fan of Duncan's game, although he says he doesn't know what a power forward is ("I guess it's a forward who scores and rebounds. In my day, there were just forwards and centers and guards.")

"He's pretty unique in how he plays," Pettit said. "He can play with his back to the basket or facing it. I spent 95%-97% of the time facing the basket. He's pretty versatile as a player. It also seems that he's stepped it up in the playoffs."

Duncan teammate Robert Horry echoes Pettit's sentiments.

"He is the head of our snake, and everyone knows that, yet he still manages," said Horry, who has won six NBA championships with the Houston Rockets, Los Angles Lakers and the Spurs. "It's a testament to his abilities. His place in history is sure to find him as one of the best power forwards to ever play."

Tony Parker has had the luxury of playing all of his six NBA seasons alongside Duncan.

"He makes it very easy on me," Parker said. "He's doesn't mind sharing."

Suns point guard Steve Nash, the league's MVP two of the past three seasons, shakes his head and pauses when asked what impresses him most about Duncan.

"Just the way he approaches the game," Nash said.

Duncan had one of the most impressive Finals performances in 2003 when he averaged 24.2 points, 17.0 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 5.3 blocks against the New Jersey Nets. In the series-clinching Game 6 win, he came within two blocked shots of the only quadruple-double in NBA playoff history with 21 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists and eight blocks.

"He plays great games at the right times," Robinson said. "You know you can count on him, but you don't have to praise him. You just have to appreciate him."

Obstructed_View
06-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Manu Ginobili was in a horrendous shooting slump early in the playoffs until he got belted in the eye during the Phoenix series, causing a large welt that made him look like Rocky Balboa.

"It fixed his shot. I might do the other eye," Duncan said deadpan.

:lmao
I hadn't heard this.

MadDog73
06-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Best power forward ever? No question.

One of the best players ever.

The best player now.

gino>yourlife
06-07-2007, 03:47 PM
yes

Mr. Black
06-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Is this the only thing they have to hype up the game besides the Bron train? On topic: You're preaching to the choir.

duncan228
06-07-2007, 03:55 PM
You're preaching to the choir.

I know that.
I'm thrilled at the amount of positive press coming Duncan's way amidst the LeBron storm.

Duncan deserves it.

Besides, it passed a few minutes while reading it! :lol

leemajors
06-07-2007, 03:58 PM
i have a hard time believing he is the best ever since Cav fan has declared Z and/or Gooden will cancel him out.

Spurminator
06-07-2007, 04:01 PM
In a couple of years that question mark is going to look really silly.

Loose Cannon
06-07-2007, 04:11 PM
In a couple of years that question mark is going to look really silly.

It already does.