PDA

View Full Version : Do the Spurs go small?

BeerIsGood!
06-07-2007, 04:13 PM
At times when the Cavs have a slow lineup with Z on the floor, does Pop try breaking out a small ball lineup to either make Z guard Finley or force the Cavs to put Z on Duncan and go small to match Finley?

eisfeld
06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
I hope he does not make the same mistake. It depends on who is guarding Duncan. There's no way Big Z can stop him on the low post. I can see Oberto/Elson switching position with Duncan from time to time but going small is something I hope he will not do.

Mr. Body
06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I can see a pseudo-small lineup when Ilgauskas is on the floor, or else Elson.

Marcus Bryant
06-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't really see the need in this series. The Spurs can play an open court game with two bigs. If they want to run they can use Elson.

DDS4
06-07-2007, 04:39 PM
I don't really see the need in this series. The Spurs can play an open court game with two bigs. If they want to run they can use Elson.

2nd. In fact, I absolutely don't want to see small ball at the expense of getting killed on the rebounds.

Marcus Bryant
06-07-2007, 04:41 PM
2nd. In fact, I absolutely don't want to see small ball at the expense of getting killed on the rebounds.

The only way the Spurs could end up going small for extended minutes is if the Cavs try something like James as the defacto 4, but then the Cavs will weaken their interior D and rebounding and their offense overall is not as competent to pull it off as the Mavs are.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-07-2007, 04:42 PM
the Suns shitted on the Cavs by going small and making big z useless

wouldn't be a bad idea

BeerIsGood!
06-07-2007, 04:56 PM

They can definitely run with Elson, and I even think they can run with Oberto because Z is so damn slow. I was thinking that a small matchup with Finley at the 4 forces Brown to either come small to match Finley's 3 pt ability, or else stay big and compromise the D by having Z or the other big floating out at the 3 line on Finley. Plus, it could force Z on TD and then let TD work to tire out and possibly accumulate fouls on Z.