PDA

View Full Version : James, Anthony give NBA a much-needed matchup

ducks
12-02-2004, 11:17 AM
James, Anthony give NBA a much-needed matchup

By EDDIE PELLS, AP Sports Writer
December 2, 2004
DENVER (AP) -- Two stars on the court lobbing shots and grabbing rebounds instead of landing punches and dodging beer cups.

That's what the NBA and its fans badly need right now. On Thursday night, health permitting, that's what they'll get when LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony play in the first of their two meetings this season.

``It's going to be fun, competing against one of my good friends, as always,'' James said.

Anthony is nursing a sprained ankle, although he's improving. After Denver's practice Wednesday, he said his status will be a game-time decision and the prospect of playing against James wouldn't influence it.

``If I can't play, I can't play,'' Anthony said. ``I'm not going to go out there and try to force it and hurt myself real bad.''

Honestly, though, the NBA could really use this matchup, not only to provide a glimpse of star power, but to shift the focus -- at least for a night -- off the aftermath of the ugly brawl in Detroit.

Last season, the two meetings between the rookies were hyped as huge events.

``It was out of control,'' Anthony said.

This season, the hype has diminished, and that's not the only thing that has changed in the dynamic between the league's two, brightest young stars. Their paths have diverted greatly since James edged Anthony in a feel-good race for Rookie of the Year.

Both played for the Olympic team, getting sparse minutes. James said nothing. Anthony complained and got called out by coach Larry Brown, who said he was lazy.

Upon their return from Greece, James has been in the headlines for very little besides his play.

Anthony, meanwhile, has been in a bar fight that resulted in an extortion plot against him, which was snuffed out by police last week. He also got caught with marijuana in his backpack at the airport, a transgression that resulted in no charges after police believed Anthony's claim that the marijuana belonged to a friend.

``I never wish anything bad on him, him being a good friend of mine,'' James said. ``I just hope that everything goes smooth sailing for him, and all my best wishes from me are out to him.''

James is averaging 25.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 2.4 steals. He has been selected the Eastern Conference Player of the Week twice, was honored Wednesday as the conference's Player of the Month and is an early front-runner to be the league's Most Valuable Player. The Cavaliers are 9-6, a bit better than most people expected.

Coach Paul Silas gives a lot of credit for the fast start to his star.

``He senses what needs to be done out there,'' Silas said. ``Whatever we need, he's providing. It is earlier than I expected. I didn't know it was going to come together this fast. He's taken it to another level.''

The Nuggets, meanwhile, are 8-6 -- not as good as expected -- and are still waiting for Anthony to take his game up a notch. Although he's leading the team with 19.6 points a game, he's shooting just 38 percent (James is at 51.5) and nothing has come easily. Last month, he was taking too many outside shots, which led coach Jeff Bzdelik to sit him down for an extensive period in a game in just the first week of the season.

He picked things up for a bit, then went into another mini slump and most recently, he sprained his ankle.

The Nuggets are playing it coy with Anthony's status, acting as though the game Thursday is just another game.

``This is the Denver Nuggets against the Cleveland Cavs,'' Bzdelik insisted.

But if Anthony plays, it will be more than just another routine spot on the schedule.

The league and its fans can only hope it's the next in a long line of meetings between the two stars.

``There are always going to be comparisons between us,'' Anthony said. ``You might not hear it as much now, but there are always going to be comparisons.''

ducks
12-02-2004, 11:17 AM
no article on amare against james though
I guess amare sucks :rolleyes

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Shouldn't you be complaining to the Associated Press, then?

Seriously, Ducks. How many casual NBA fans know who Amare is or how exciting of a player he is to watch on an up-and-coming team?

Now, how many casual fans (A) saw the Pistons-Pacers fight (B) know who Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony are - based on their commerical appeal and placement in American homes every night of the week by Nike/Jumpman, Powerade, etc.?

ducks
12-02-2004, 11:28 AM
that is the problem

the nba should promate more of amare, manu and other rising stars not just james

it will hurt them if james pulls a kobe and bite them in the ....

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-02-2004, 12:02 PM
As it would for anybody that pulled a "Kobe" right now.

How many people knew who Stephen Jackson was prior to two weeks ago? How many now?

The NBA has never been good at promoting its talents in small markets (or overly beneficial to the league). Think Vince Carter.

How many people know who he is and would theoretically tune in to see him as they flip channels versus Amare?