PDA

View Full Version : NIN: Year Zero

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2007, 07:17 PM
I know I started this thread already but searching is disabled.

I highly recommend this CD to anyone remotely into NIN. Trent has dropped all that Disco bull shit/minimalistic nonsense that plauged alot of [AWITHA_TEETHA], and this CD has NO weak songs. Some are blatantly radio friendly (youtube search "Capital G") but theres alot of good stuff going on in all of the songs (angry synths and keyboards!!!)

Alot of it sounds like The Fragile but live-version of the songs with angrier keyboards. The beautiful soft piano parts are there of course. It's well worth the buy. Plus when you play the CD all the way through the CD changes color, cool designs on it too. lol. That alone is worth the lame, simple packaging that [AWITHA_TEETHA] had.

So thats NIN, Bjork, Manson, now I just gotta wait for the new Smashing Pumpkins and we have ourselves a pretty cool year for music :smokin

ObiwanGinobili
06-07-2007, 07:37 PM

Oscar DeLa
06-07-2007, 08:54 PM
I know I started this thread already but searching is disabled.

I highly recommend this CD to anyone remotely into NIN. Trent has dropped all that Disco bull shit/minimalistic nonsense that plauged alot of [AWITHA_TEETHA], and this CD has NO weak songs. Some are blatantly radio friendly (youtube search "Capital G") but theres alot of good stuff going on in all of the songs (angry synths and keyboards!!!)

Alot of it sounds like The Fragile but live-version of the songs with angrier keyboards. The beautiful soft piano parts are there of course. It's well worth the buy. Plus when you play the CD all the way through the CD changes color, cool designs on it too. lol. That alone is worth the lame, simple packaging that [AWITHA_TEETHA] had.

So thats NIN, Bjork, Manson, now I just gotta wait for the new Smashing Pumpkins and we have ourselves a pretty cool year for music :smokin
I don't know what it is but when the CD came out you were talking foul mess about it!

Viva Las Espuelas
06-07-2007, 09:37 PM
So thats NIN, Bjork, Manson, now I just gotta wait for the new Smashing Pumpkins and we have ourselves a pretty cool year for music :smokinBjork has a new one? I didn't know that. The new pumpkins should be good. Have you seen their ROCK AM RING set in Germany from the 2nd of this month. It's pretty good. you can download it here. http://www.thepumpkins.net/images/stories/performances/rockam.wmv
Manson is old news to me. very old news.

dickface
06-07-2007, 11:04 PM

.....aaaaaaaaaaand credibility goes flying out the window with one word.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
.....aaaaaaaaaaand credibility goes flying out the window with one word.it had the same effect on me, too.

spyder
06-08-2007, 04:26 AM
NIN freaking rocks :music

Cant_Be_Faded
06-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Bjork has a new one? I didn't know that. The new pumpkins should be good. Have you seen their ROCK AM RING set in Germany from the 2nd of this month. It's pretty good. you can download it here. http://www.thepumpkins.net/images/stories/performances/rockam.wmv
Manson is old news to me. very old news.

Well i threw MAnson out there cuz he's been around for a while. I am not buyin the album and most likely it will be crap, but i figure if he's recorded and played with Jeordie White through the songs for Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals, and Holywood, he should be able to write a good song or two by himself now.

Golden Age of Grotesque was crap, but it was his first CD without Jeordie, who wrote almost every song through his best three albums. IMO, this latest album will make or break our perception of Manson. If it sucks, it proves he wwas a cool poet and conceptual artist at best, but not a good musician. Regardless of how commercial and cliche he is, he released three amazing albums in a row, so...

Cant_Be_Faded
06-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I don't know what it is but when the CD came out you were talking foul mess about it!

Which one? I thought Year Zero was tight when I first heard it on the nin website and listening to it the second day in a row on CD, I still am liking it.

guess what---the new album is totally bleak, dark, and the songs have a tendency to sound self destructive.....run of the mill NIN album but that means its bad ass
wayyyyyyyyy better than the last one.

scott
06-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Year Zero I dig... lots of Downward Spiral elements to it, IMO. Whatever song #9 is... I love it.

pussyface
06-09-2007, 03:02 AM
Well i threw MAnson out there cuz he's been around for a while. I am not buyin the album and most likely it will be crap, but i figure if he's recorded and played with Jeordie White through the songs for Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals, and Holywood, he should be able to write a good song or two by himself now.

Golden Age of Grotesque was crap, but it was his first CD without Jeordie, who wrote almost every song through his best three albums. IMO, this latest album will make or break our perception of Manson. If it sucks, it proves he wwas a cool poet and conceptual artist at best, but not a good musician. Regardless of how commercial and cliche he is, he released three amazing albums in a row, so...

i never met anyone in to quasimoto who was on the marilyn manson tip before .

...a first time for everything. do you wear black makeup and shit than, or what?

http://www.avclub.com/content/hater/evidence_that_marilyn_manson_is
'thank god i am not 12 years old anymore and liable to fall prey to this line of bullshit anymore'

...sincerely didnt realize that this guy had genuine fans left in this world of ours
than again, i didn't realize that 'green day' did either, and they are 'the last great rock band of the generation' or some shit appparently, so what do i know.

pussyface
06-09-2007, 03:11 AM
just to clarify i am not saying i'm wrong about green day. how about them putting john lennon's song on american idol the other day?

that was a song that couldn't possibly have been written in any more of a spirit not intended or appropriate for 'american idol' in 100 years. if rock and roll werent fun and yucks, that shit would have been borderline shameful.

...im done. all 'you are an out-of-touch/pretentious/non green day and marlyn manson appreciating wanker' flaming gladly accepted.

LaMarcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 11:15 AM
i never met anyone in to quasimoto who was on the marilyn manson tip before .

...a first time for everything. do you wear black makeup and shit than, or what?

http://www.avclub.com/content/hater/evidence_that_marilyn_manson_is
'thank god i am not 12 years old anymore and liable to fall prey to this line of bullshit anymore'

...sincerely didnt realize that this guy had genuine fans left in this world of ours
than again, i didn't realize that 'green day' did either, and they are 'the last great rock band of the generation' or some shit appparently, so what do i know.

I don't limit myself to genres; in fact I think the existence of genres are one of the root causes for why popular music sucks more and more as time passes on.
Manson's trilogy is bad ass though, you'll never change my mind about that. Pretentious and all that jazz, but the music cant be faded. I'm probably gonna go to the Slayer/Manson concert in August, mostly for Slayer. I'd be hyped for Manson but his new guitarist blowwwwwwwws...John 5 played Mechanical Animals songs amazingly.
Quasimoto owns too.

Slinkyman
06-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Manson fucking sucks, dude has covered more songs then William Hung. His gimmick is tired and lame and i can't believe people still buy into it.

p.s. Green Day fucking sucks ass too.

Amarelooms
06-10-2007, 07:43 PM
TOOL >>>> any band you like

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm a very big fan of Marilyn Manson, and I admit, the new album is not that good. The only good song on there is the single Heart-Shaped Glasses. At least there're still many more new albums to look forward to. The album I'm looking forward to is the new KoRn album releasing July 31st. The two songs that were leaked out, "I Will Protect You"(not a single), and "Evolution"(the first single), were very good.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-10-2007, 08:41 PM
TOOL >>>> any band you likehttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif
That's funny. This ain't the 90's anymore. playing 3 over 2 gets old after the first 6 minutes............................of the intro.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-10-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm looking forward to is the new KoRn album releasing July 31st. The two songs that were leaked out, "I Will Protect You"(not a single), and "Evolution"(the first single), were very good. I'm not a Korn, but I wanna hear what Bozzio does on the album. I also wanna see them live and see how Jordison sounds with them.

leemajors
06-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Manson fucking sucks, dude has covered more songs then William Hung. His gimmick is tired and lame and i can't believe people still buy into it.

p.s. Green Day fucking sucks ass too.

i don't like manson at all, but there's nothing wrong with covers.

Xolotl
06-11-2007, 10:54 AM
I haven't been paying too much attention to the music news.....so forgive me for being way way behind....but I had no damn idea that Smashing Pumpkins were coming out with a new album....is it the original lineup or Billy Corgan with other people ala the new GNR?

monosylab1k
06-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I haven't been paying too much attention to the music news.....so forgive me for being way way behind....but I had no damn idea that Smashing Pumpkins were coming out with a new album....is it the original lineup or Billy Corgan with other people ala the new GNR?

It's Billy and Jimmy Chamberlain with hired hands playing guitar and bass. No D'arcy and no James Iha....and if Iha isn't a part of it, then it's really not Smashing Pumpkins, IMO. I'll buy it but I'd be more excited if it was the original lineup and not just Billy Corgan trying to cash in on the SP name after Zwan and his solo career failed so badly.

ATRAIN
06-11-2007, 11:04 AM

I think there are 2 returning members

Xolotl
06-11-2007, 11:15 AM
It's Billy and Jimmy Chamberlain with hired hands playing guitar and bass. No D'arcy and no James Iha....and if Iha isn't a part of it, then it's really not Smashing Pumpkins, IMO. I'll buy it but I'd be more excited if it was the original lineup and not just Billy Corgan trying to cash in on the SP name after Zwan and his solo career failed so badly.

Yeah I agree with you on that I'd be much more psyched if Iha and D'arcy were there. I'll admit I did get a little excited just to let it blow up......but I guess I can hope that the CD is good.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-11-2007, 11:40 AM

pussyface
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM

you buy albums put out by a rock singer who put out a book of poetry called "blinking with fists" (...funniest title since "smell the glove") and I am the one who is pretentious because I like Woody Allen?

when you are 15 years old, i guess this sort of logic still makes sense

monosylab1k
06-11-2007, 01:20 PM
you buy albums put out by a rock singer who put out a book of poetry called "blinking with fists" (...funniest title since "smell the glove") and I am the one who is pretentious because I like Woody Allen?

when you are 15 years old, i guess this sort of logic still makes sense

and now you show everyone that you don't know the definition of "pretentious". keep trying.

p.s. 15 year olds these days are into My Chemical Romance, not Smashing Pumpkins.

pussyface
06-11-2007, 01:38 PM
and now you show everyone that you don't know the definition of "pretentious". keep trying.

p.s. 15 year olds these days are into My Chemical Romance, not Smashing Pumpkins.

haha, funniest post ever.

grunge-rock-singer thinks his shitty lyrics are so profound that they rise to the level of poetry. they don't need a killer riff, they stand on their own. decides he is more than what public thinks. no mere singer of rock songs. an artist. a poet. publishes book and calls it "blinking........with fists." 2 weeks later it is available in every "half-priced books" the world over.

this does not fit under the definition of pretentious? funny, funny shit. you crack me up, dude. you have got to be without question of the top 10 funniest guys in the sophomore class at your high school.

monosylab1k
06-11-2007, 01:42 PM
haha, funniest post ever.

grunge-rock-singer thinks his shitty lyrics are so profound that they rise to the level of poetry. decides he is more than what public thinks. no mere singer of rock songs. an artist. a poet. publishes book and calls it "blinking........with fists."

this does not fit under the definition of pretentious? funny, funny shit. you crack me up, dude. you have got to be without question of the top 10 funniest guys in the sophomore class at your high school.

wow. nobody said anything about billy corgan not being pretentious. do you even read your own posts? you kill your own arguments so much it's not even funny to read anymore. i just wish you'd learn to read, especially your own posts.

you said IN YOUR OWN POST that the fact that i like smashing pumpkins means that i have no basis to call you pretentious.

you can't be pretentious for liking smashing pumpkins. you can't be pretentious for liking woody allen. the fact that they're pretentious doesn't make you pretentious.

you CAN be pretentious, however, for telling someone what a dumbass they are for enjoying crap like Boondock Saints and using your love of Woody Allen films as some sort of barometer as to why your taste in film is more elevated than theirs.

that bachelor's degree is serving you well. a "sophomore in high school" is making you look like a fucking idiot every time you try to talk shit at him. hilarious.

pussyface
06-11-2007, 01:51 PM
you CAN be pretentious, however, for telling someone what a dumbass they are for enjoying crap like Boondock Saints and using your love of Woody Allen films as some sort of barometer as to why your taste in film is more elevated than theirs.

what you are saying, then, is that all art/entertainment is created equal. superiority doesn't exist. ideals of taste/preference/quality have no place at all and shouldn't be commented on in any way.

if someone's favorite film director is michael bay and they think orson welles, stanley kubrick, scorcese, and fellinni are hacks, one cannot derive from this that there taste is not very sophisticated under the theory you just put forth and will continue to pretend to believe just to keep arguing.

opinion has no place. all is equal. jerry bruckheimer should be given exactly equal respect as hitchcock.

...this is not the sort of world I choose to inhabit.
so if that makes me and every social critic(mark twain, dave chappelle, roger ebert, kant etc etc) who ever lived and what they have to say irrelevent to you and your "you can't be critical of art/entertainment/one size fits all" worldview, than so be it.

when you get a little older, move out of your parents house/go off to college etc etc. much of this may become more clear to you.

monosylab1k
06-11-2007, 01:59 PM
what you are saying, then, is that all art/entertainment is created equal. superiority doesn't exist. ideals of taste/preference/quality have no place at all and shouldn't be commented on in any way.

if someone's favorite film director is michael bay and they think orson welles, stanley kubrick, scorcese, and fellinni are hacks, one cannot derive from this that there taste is not very sophisticated under the theory you just put forth and will continue to pretend to believe just to keep arguing.

opinion has no place. all is equal. jerry bruckheimer should be given exactly equal respect as hitchcock.

...this is not the sort of world I choose to inhabit.
so if that makes me and every critical minded person (mark twain, dave chappelle, roger ebert etc etc) in the world and what we have to say irrelevent to you and your "you can't be critical of art/entertainment/one size fits all" worldview, than so be it.

when you get a little older, move out of your parents house/go off to college etc etc. much of this may become more clear to you.

nobody said anything about any of this? where the fuck do you get off writing this bullshit? unfortunately for me, i picture you jerking off hard to the delight of your own pointless words.

when did i say you can't be critical? i think boondock saints is one of the worst movies ever made. i love pre-1985 woody allen films. but i'm not going to be the pretentious dick that says "you are an idiot for liking boondock saints. i have far better taste in movies than you do. why? because i am a woody allen fan. take that siccophant!"

all art/entertainment is NOT created equal, but it's also NOT a black/white situation where liking one thing equates you to an idiot and liking something else gives you good taste. your view of "this movie is good, no questions asked. this movie sucks, no questions asked" is just as ridiculous as any "everything is equal" view.

but go ahead and continue telling people how "faggy" they are for liking John Grisham and Michael Crichton books while you inform them that you are "un-faggy" and far smarter than them because you enjoy Michael Chabon.

leemajors
06-11-2007, 02:58 PM
wonder boys was almost bad enough to make me wish i had never read kavalier and clay

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-11-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm not a Korn, but I wanna hear what Bozzio does on the album. I also wanna see them live and see how Jordison sounds with them.
Here's Jordison playing "Shoots and Ladders" with KoRn, but they start with the intro to Jordison's own "The Blister Exists" from Slipknot after a bagpipe solo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_9jgMZQCOk

And here's him playing "Y'all Want a Single" with KoRn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_9jgMZQCOk

And if you become a member of Kornspace.com, you can download the two songs I mentioned that have Bozzio on the drums. They fuckin rock!

Cant_Be_Faded
06-11-2007, 06:17 PM

What can you possibly base this assumption on? Smashing Pumpkins has always been Billy and Jimmy. The other parts are for aesthetic value only and played absolutely no part in like 99% of every Smashing Pumpkins song ever written.

Billy always recorded 100% of the guitars, 100% of the bass, and Jimmy 100% of the percussion. Darcy played horrible live, and Billy did not trust her enough to lay down sounds on a single track. I think Iha played a major role in one (1) SP song, and it was the last song on Disc 1 of Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness. Iha sings in that song. Curiously enough, that song fucking blows.
I guess if you love watching Iha play rhythm that much, you can't consider Smashing Pumpkins the Smashing Pumpkins anymore, but Billy behind SP is not unlike Trent behind NIN. The only exception is Jimmy, and Billy keeps him because he's one of the most ruthless drummers around. It's not a coincidence that Billy went digital with Adore after Jimmy got kicked out of the band for drug addiction.

It's always just been Billy and Jimmy.

Zwan was a total joke, i think he was burnt out on MDMA by then, but his solo album was actually pretty progressive. As for cashing in on the SP name, have you heard the new song? It's obvious the new album is going to bomb, it's not exactly something that's aimed towards cashing in.

BTW, Pussyface, if you were talking about Corgan's poetry (maybe you werent, I never knew he had a book) you are right. Corgan is one of the most pretentious fuckers in the business. I mean he transcends pretention. But I still like his music.

monosylab1k
06-11-2007, 06:51 PM
It's always just been Billy and Jimmy.

Interesting, since they made an entire album without Jimmy.

As far as your "Billy went digital once Jimmy was out"....well that's completely untrue. He was speaking of electronic music being the future of the Pumpkins almost immediately after Mellon Collie was released, while Jimmy was still a part of the band. And despite what people think, the vast majority of Adore was NOT recorded with a drum machine, but with a live drummer, whether it was Matt Walker, Matt Cameron, or one of a few other guys who layed drum tracks down for that album.

Up until this point, Billy and James were the only two constant parts of SP from the beginning. You seriously underplay what James meant to the chemistry of the band. Billy was the brains behind the Pumpkins, but he was by no means a Trent Reznor one-man band with a bunch of hired guns playing instruments for him.

And there's only one reason why the new song isn't catching on with listeners - it sucks.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Interesting, since they made an entire album without Jimmy.

As far as your "Billy went digital once Jimmy was out"....well that's completely untrue. He was speaking of electronic music being the future of the Pumpkins almost immediately after Mellon Collie was released, while Jimmy was still a part of the band.
Which is why he shyed away from electronic and went the Machina route when Jimmy returned, right? (owned...)

And despite what people think, the vast majority of Adore was NOT recorded with a drum machine, but with a live drummer, whether it was Matt Walker, Matt Cameron, or one of a few other guys who layed drum tracks down for that album.
I'll buy that, props to you. But have you heard bootlegs from this era? Have you heard Adore songs live when they got Jimmy back? There is a difference there. The way they played Adore songs live when Jimmy came back put the smashing back in the pumpkins. Frankly, it kicked more ass. I gaurantee Adore would have sounded different if they had Jimmy. No SP drummer could ever replicate the sounds in Billy's head like Jimmy could, which is why i was saying he's the only crucial member of the band.

Up until this point, Billy and James were the only two constant parts of SP from the beginning. You seriously underplay what James meant to the chemistry of the band. Billy was the brains behind the Pumpkins, but he was by no means a Trent Reznor one-man band with a bunch of hired guns playing instruments for him.
No i dont. Find me some credits or links where it says Iha plays an actual role in making serious contributions to SP songs.

And there's only one reason why the new song isn't catching on with listeners - it sucks.

Yeah I already alluded to that.

monosylab1k
06-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Which is why he shyed away from electronic and went the Machina route when Jimmy returned, right? (owned...)

He shyed away from electronic and went the Machina route because of the fact that Adore failed and he thought that a "return to rocking" would bring the Pumpkins back to their former fame and glory - but it was too late cuz at that point nobody gave a shit about the Pumpkins.

Now after see the resurrection of bands like Green Day, Corgan is hoping that the Smashing Pumpkins name is enough to get him back in the spotlight. He's a great musician, but let's not forget that he's also the biggest whore for attention this side of Paris Hilton, and he'll do anything to be back on the music scene the way the Pumpkins were in the mid-90's.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-11-2007, 08:55 PM
He shyed away from electronic and went the Machina route because of the fact that Adore failed and he thought that a "return to rocking" would bring the Pumpkins back to their former fame and glory - but it was too late cuz at that point nobody gave a shit about the Pumpkins.

Now after see the resurrection of bands like Green Day, Corgan is hoping that the Smashing Pumpkins name is enough to get him back in the spotlight. He's a great musician, but let's not forget that he's also the biggest whore for attention this side of Paris Hilton, and he'll do anything to be back on the music scene the way the Pumpkins were in the mid-90's.

For the most part I agree with your second paragraph but I'm convinced Adore woulda (sorry my vocabulary sucks) rocked more if Jimmy had been in the band.

I think Machina was simply where he chose to go once he got his drummer back. Have you heard the drumming on Everlasting Gaze? Noone else but Jimmy could have performed that peice (while getting along with billy enough to get through recording and touring of course). Machina has some of the most un-pumpkin sounding tracks if you consider the glory days of "Bullet" and "Zero" and "Disarm" and "Today" to be mainstream pumpkins.
The lyrics are still lovey dovey but the music is different, in fact every album they did was different.

leemajors
06-11-2007, 10:30 PM
everything after Siamese Dream blew anyway.

Slinkyman
06-11-2007, 11:18 PM
i don't like manson at all, but there's nothing wrong with covers.

nothing wrong with covers sure, but when your last 3 radio hits are covers somethings really really wrong with that.

ATRAIN
06-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Which NIN album do you think is the best. I personally think the Fragile is the best from what they have made. Of course all people that like closer and just the downward spiral usually disagree with me. I'm giving year zero another full listen right now as I type this.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-12-2007, 06:24 PM
This one guy I worked with said he considered Year Zero > The Fragile.

I still think Trent reached a peak with The Fragile, and that is my favorite NIN album. Downward Spiral is amazing, but I like the sadness Fragile evokes opposed to the anger that Spiral evokes.

DarkReign
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Downward Spiral

I still have this avatar and its starting to grate on me. 10,000 Years = teh ssuk

Went to a show, played the entire stupid album. Dont get me wrong, its got some good stuff in it....but if 40% Good is all they aim for anymore, I'll 60% care.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Downward Spiral

I still have this avatar and its starting to grate on me. 10,000 Years = teh ssuk

Went to a show, played the entire stupid album. Dont get me wrong, its got some good stuff in it....but if 40% Good is all they aim for anymore, I'll 60% care.

I like listening to WFM/10KD on the album but live its soooooo boring.
I woulda liked them to take out that 20 minute song and add Third Eye, take out The Pot and add Push It.
Their setlist has remained the same for like over a year. Kinda sucks but still, was way worth seeing Danny turn into a human drum machine.

CharlieMac
06-12-2007, 06:38 PM
The new Queens of the Stoneage is pretty good too.

I'm a big fan of covers too.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-12-2007, 06:47 PM
better than lullabies to paralyze?

monosylab1k
06-12-2007, 11:10 PM
The Fragile is my favorite NIN album. I'm not a huge fan but I do like The Fragile a whole lot. Although I think the best NIN song of all time is "right where it belongs" on With Teeth.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-12-2007, 11:59 PM
The new Queens of the Stoneage is pretty good too.

No it's not.
It's disappointing to say the least.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Surely they sing a couple songs about writing songs in the desert right?

ATRAIN
06-13-2007, 07:17 AM
better than lullabies to paralyze?

From what I have heard (half of it) its pretty good.....better than lullabies........no but they are both totally different. The opening song is pretty damn good.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-13-2007, 11:34 AM
NIN sounds the same as every album reznor has made since phm. phm was original and cool......everything else sounds very monotonous.are you "100%" sure about that.