Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Prince James

San Antonio welcomes LeBron to the finals, Spurs' style

By Colby Satterthwaite

Frozen.

Hesitant.

Flustered.

These are all words that describe the fashion in which LeBron James played his first NBA Finals game.

In the week leading up to Thursday night's series opener, it was hard not to think, "Is LeBron REALLY the next Jordan?" I was one who contemplated it as well, it's impossible not to. Could he really take over the NBA, and win the first Finals he appeared in, as MJ did? Well, it may have just been one game, but if the Spurs' 85-76 victory was any indication of how the series may go, the answer is no.

At least I didn't see a second coming in Game 1. I saw a young superstar who was frozen. Hesitant. Flustered. I saw the young kid in him come roaring out as fast as they let Paris Hilton out of jail.

But somehow, I feel a little bad for the kid. Somehow everyone seems to forget this kid is 22 years old. In his short NBA career, he's been asked to resurrect an NBA franchise from the lottery, to be the new face of the NBA, to be a savior to not only Cleveland, but perhaps basketball in general, and he's responded to every call. I really do recognize the pressure he's facing, and how tough it probably is to live up to that pressure.

Still, there's a reason we ask him to do these things.

Now LeBron has set himself up to be asked to become the next great player of all-time, starting with these NBA Finals. But Thursday, I saw a kid who was absolutely frozen, hesitant, flustered, just flat out bothered. There's no other way to describe it. He was visibly bothered by Bruce Bowen's mere presence in his general area, not to mention the wall that was Tim Duncan he saw over Bowen's lowered shoulders.

Tim Duncan? Oh yeah, he IS still playing, isn't he?

The Big Fundamental was no less than a wall on Thursday night, to put it lightly. He stormed out of the gate, swatting away three shots in the 1st quarter alone, to go with his eight points and four boards, including one that contributed to LeBron James' 0-8 start. Duncan would finish with 24 points, 13 rebounds, and five rejections in all, making him the early frontrunner to snag his 4th Finals' MVP award in 4 tries.

However, some could very well argue that it was another part of San Antonio's 'Big 3' that was the focal point of the Spurs' success tonight. That part is Tony Parker. Parker shot just over 50% from the field and ended up with a game-high 27 points, most of it from acrobatic drives and finishes among Cleveland's trees in the paint. Cavaliers' Coach Mike Brown threw multiple defenders at Parker, as every team San Antonio has faced thus far has, and each of them failed miserably. Larry Hughes couldn't stop Parker on the very first drive the Frenchman attempted. Sasha Pavlovic looked just overwhelmed by his speed. LeBron, while long enough to help contain him, couldn't keep up with Parker, and nobody who had to help these guys out when they got picked by Duncan could stop him either, as Parker effortlessly pitched perfect passes to his big man, many of which Timmy finished with a dunk.

Regardless of who was the best player on the court was, we all know who the country - and the NBA - wanted it to be. Maybe even needed it to be -- 'King' James.

He hardly played like royalty, finishing with a disastruous 4-16 shooting night. He didn't convert on a field goal attempt until the 7:13 mark in the 3rd quarter. Contrary to the layout of James' first half gameplan, it was on a lay-up. He would finish another acrobatic drive in the 3rd, and hit consecutive 3's in the middle of the 4th quarter to round out his scoring from the field, but he, Drew Gooden (14 pts), nor rookie Daniel Gibson (team-high 16 points) could cut the Spurs' lead to any less than 8 down the stretch.

Even after all of this, the basketball Gods handed LeBron one last chance to perhaps turn the game around and steal one in the AT&T Center in the final minutes. A chance to begin his legacy with a stunning comeback in the waning moments of Game 1:

With the Cavs down 8, LeBron put up a 3 from the top of the arc early in the shot clock, just where he'd hit two a few minutes before, and missed. San Antonio got one of its 42 rebounds on the night (to Cleveland's 33), ran down the shot clock, and fittingly pushed the lead to 82-72 with a Tim Duncan dunk. Game over.

Maybe these basketball Gods have a plan. Perhaps LeBron himself does. But if that plan was to send a message in San Antonio Thursday night, send a message to the Spurs, the Western Conference, and to the rest of the world, then something went terribly wrong, something got lost in the shuffle.

So let's just wait and watch before we crown James as King.

Playoffs>>Reg.Season
06-08-2007, 12:06 AM
:tu

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Thanks.

Any feedback is very encouraged! Negative, positive, grammatical, statistical, anything!

This is the career I'm pursuing, so if you'd like to, some critique (if needed) is nice.

Thanks!

Lebowski Brickowski
06-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Nice work.

However, with sensible and unpopular opinions like the above, I'm sorry to say you'll never get a sportswriting gig. :lol

MannyIsGod
06-08-2007, 12:13 AM
If you're serious about pursuing this as your career, I'd seriously reconsider titling your work with something that is either sexist or homophobic.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-08-2007, 12:15 AM
oh you wrote that? nice article I thought. I feel exactly the same way

Lebowski Brickowski
06-08-2007, 12:19 AM
You'll be much better off writing an in-depth analysis of how "spectacular, incredible, delicious, unimaginable," EACH of lebron's 4 made baskets was. Maybe throw in two paragraphs for the clutch freethrows. You will surely receive an offer from a magazine like Dime or Slam or SI or ESPN.

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 12:21 AM
How about the way he changed the Finals and how the country perceives basketball with his performance tonight?

Too far?

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 12:21 AM
oh you wrote that? nice article I thought. I feel exactly the same way

Thank you.

But you feel the same way as what?

MaNuMaNiAc
06-08-2007, 12:23 AM
How about the way he changed the Finals and how the country perceives basketball with his performance tonight?

Too far?:lol

MaNuMaNiAc
06-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Thank you.

But you feel the same way as what?about LeBron getting too overhyped, and it not being entirely his fault. The dude is 22 and is amazing, but the media talks about him as if he is the second coming of Christ let alone MJ. Today the Spurs showed the man is just a man. I am really pissed off at how the media overlooks Tim. Today Tim played great as usual but I guess nobody notices that.

The_Worlds_finest
06-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Not bad not bad at all, the only thing I find bad is the repetition of frozen hesitant and flustered. I like the paris bit...and please post again after next game

MannyIsGod
Lebron is not overhyped. He's the best 22 year old player in the history of the NBA. Tim gets a ton of media coverage. The most appealing story in these finals to the majority of fans is going to be Lebron. Thats not being overhyped.

But the sad fact is that no matter what Lebron does, someone will always say he's overhyped. And no matter how much Duncan gets covered, someone will say he's not covered enough. I have a feeling Duncan gets as much coverage as he wants.

Corn on the Colb
about LeBron getting too overhyped, and it not being entirely his fault. The dude is 22 and is amazing, but the media talks about him as if he is the second coming of Christ let alone MJ. Today the Spurs showed the man is just a man. I am really pissed off at how the media overlooks Tim. Today Tim played great as usual but I guess nobody notices that.

Yeah, I think people say that Tim is underappreciated so often that he isn't really underappreciated anymore. Ya know what I mean? Just my opinion.

So anywhere I can improve in the article?

O-Factor
06-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Good job Colb. Much better analysis that that ignorant prick Kiss ma grits...he's a loser.

MannyIsGod
06-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I think people say that Tim is underappreciated so often that he isn't really underappreciated anymore. Ya know what I mean? Just my opinion.

So anywhere I can improve in the article?The title. Seriously.

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Not bad not bad at all, the only thing I find bad is the repetition of frozen hesitant and flustered. I like the paris bit...and please post again after next game

Thanks. I thought I may be able to get away with that, since I only repeated it once.

I will definitely post next game. No worries.

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 12:36 AM
The title. Seriously.

Ha....

I don't think it's that bad. Is it really that far off the truth?

MannyIsGod
06-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Ha....

I don't think it's that bad. Is it really that far off the truth?Dude, It doesn't offend me. But I think its terrible unprofessional. You're calling James a Queen. You don't see why that is bad?

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Dude, It doesn't offend me. But I think its terrible unprofessional. You're calling James a Queen. You don't see why that is bad?

King James when good.

Queen James when bad.

King > Queen.

It's not Queer James. Queen. I don't see it the way you do, I guess. Not angry here, damn message board. Just saying. I appreciate it, really. I'll keep in mind what others may take from it.

jag
06-08-2007, 12:41 AM
that actually was a well written article. Nice Job.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2007, 12:42 AM
King James when good.

Queen James when bad.

King > Queen.

It's not Queer James. Queen. I don't see it the way you do, I guess. Not angry here, damn message board. Just saying. I appreciate it, really. I'll keep in mind what others may take from it.

:lol

There's everything wrong with this logic. First of all, a king isn't greater than a queen. A queen is just a female monarch. So, it would be better if you wanted to call it Prince James. That might mean not quite yet a king.

Queen James either means female or gay, it doesn't mean lesser than.

MannyIsGod
06-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Take it from the professional journalist, not me.

L.I.T
06-08-2007, 12:44 AM
If you're going for the pithy thing you could say something like: Sovereignty Denied: Spurs take Game 1.

Anyway, on the whole not bad.

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 12:45 AM

There's everything wrong with this logic. First of all, a king isn't greater than a queen. A queen is just a female monarch. So, it would be better if you wanted to call it Prince James. That might mean not quite yet a king.

Well, okay. Maybe I play too much poker.

I had Prince James in there to begin with, and changed it.

It can always be changed back! Sorry guys!

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 12:48 AM
that actually was a well written article. Nice Job.

Thanks a lot man!

judaspriestess
06-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Over all an excellent read. Maybe a little more stats thrown in? Casual fans, whom you also have to appeal to, really seem to be enthralled with the numbers.

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Over all an excellent read. Maybe a little more stats thrown in? Casual fans, whom you also have to appeal to, really seem to be enthralled with the numbers.

Thanks. I'll definitely keep it in mind in my future writing. I'm overjoyed that people enjoy reading it.

judaspriestess
06-08-2007, 12:56 AM
You're welcome :toast

san antonio spurs
06-08-2007, 01:17 AM
great read.
Better than what most so called proffessionals write.
________
USACollege (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/USACollege/)

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it.

ATRAIN
06-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey Cold, good job....If you want to pursue it......do it. With all the crap writers there are out there you have a good shot.

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey Cold, good job....If you want to pursue it......do it. With all the crap writers there are out there you have a good shot.

That's the way I'm trying to look at it!

But I'll stop pursuing it if I have to resort to covering high school sports by the time I'm 30. Ha.

After writing about pro sports a few times, I can't do anything different!

Thanks.

Sweetey
06-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I LOVE the "Queen James" part. "Prince" sounds stupid !!

florige
06-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah it was a good article. :reading

peskypesky
06-08-2007, 11:08 AM
great read.
Better than what most so called proffessionals write.

I agree.

But I didn't agree with the part where you said you feel "sorry" for Lebron. No f-ing way i feel the slightest bit of pity for a guy who signed a $90 million dollar shoe contract before he played a single minute in the NBA. No way. Unless, of course, something really terrible happened to him, like his legs get chopped off in a car accident, or he loses an eye, or something like that.

MannyIsGod
06-08-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry what did Magic do when he was 19 years old and lead the Lakers to a title. Magic had 42 points, 15 rebounds, seven assists and three steals, lifting the Lakers to a 123-107 win and winning the NBA Finals MVP award.

Bird also won a title in his second session too. Now I know the Lakers and the Celtics had better supporting cast thean Lebron, but the NBA needs to stop saying he is the "Greatest ever" or comparing him to MJ.

Carmelo is just as good and he is only 22 years old too.

p.s. Great article: keep writing!Carmelo is just as good yet his team with a better supporting cast is sitting at home?

You just said that Magic and Bird had FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR better supporting casts, so why are you even trying to make that arguement?

No, Lebron is not overhyped. If he were a Spur you are the same people that would say he's underhyped.

Corn on the Colb
06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

samikeyp
06-08-2007, 12:39 PM
I think Prince is better....it means that he has not reached the highest level yet.

Nice job :tu

SpurOutofTownFan
06-08-2007, 01:14 PM
If you're serious about pursuing this as your career, I'd seriously reconsider titling your work with something that is either sexist or homophobic.

:clap

FuzzyLumpkins
06-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Actually in the Romanovs handled it so that if a reigning king got married his wife would be named queen but the kings authority supereseded however if a queen were to get married his title would be prince consort or some other blather as for her to not lose her authority.

ForeignFan
06-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I will feel sorry for LJ if Spurs sweep and if he continues to play miserably. Other than that, why feel sorry for a 22 year-old mega bankable superstar who does not even seem to be stupid (a la Stoudemire) ?

for the title, I would have suggested : King James' learns first French lesson : how to spell "guillotine" (but that is probably far fetched, I agree)

Clutch20
06-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I get a mental image of Prince James perched atop a very tall ladder made to reach the clouds, but suddenly he needs to lower himself and then finds to his dismay that all the middle steps have been removed.

I enjoyed reading your article, when's the next one :reading