PDA

View Full Version : Predict Brown average the closest

Rummpd
12-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny Blaze 47

Devin Brown 3.4 PPG, 1.0 RPG, 10 Games

Devin Brown will average 10 points and 5 rebounds this season. Save it in your favorites, make it a classic, just mark my words

My belief after last night and the previous night not quite 10/5 = 8.8/2.8 but he will have at least two more 20+ point games this year.

MadDoc (the Sage)

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Use my updated sig if you're quoting me.

Kori Ellis
12-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Unless something drastic happens, I don't think he'll get enough minutes to average 10 and 5. But should he get more minutes? That's probably a question that's very hard to answer. Behind Manu, Bowen and Barry, there's not much playing time. It will be hard to NOT give him more minutes if he plays well in spurts like this. But where will they come from and at whose expense? Last night he came in ahead of Barry. And Pop said he came in for "defense". So I think the key is if he keeps improving his D, they'll continue finding him more playing time.

Marcus Bryant
12-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Bowen's. As long as Brown can play solid defense then he should get some PT and it also should help to keep Bowen fresher throughout the season.

Depth is nice. :hat

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-02-2004, 12:20 PM
I totally agree and see the point about him not being able to get the minutes necessary to make that, but I'll stick by it.

I think it Brown improves his defense, then LJ's prediction might come true.

JUUOT
12-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Manu should not play more than 30 mn to be as agressive as he can be. Bowen is still one of the gretest defender but i think just like manu he should not play more than 30 to stay healthy and have a chance to play some nice more years.

Therefore this let at least 36 mn to share between Barry and Devin. do you think a simple split 18/18 would be fair. I think Timvp said Dbrown would need at least 15 mn to develop his play and i agree. So the split should not be less than 15mn for brown and 21 for barry.

thoughts?

Manu20
12-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Barry should play more minutes than Brown.

But is great to have a quy like Brown that does not complain about minutes and when he is put in the game he gives it 100%.

JUUOT
12-02-2004, 01:29 PM
so you would go for a 21mn barry and 15 brown.

Jimcs50
12-02-2004, 01:33 PM
This is a great conundrum for Pop. It does not suck having too many players that can play great for the Spurs, and trying to find enough mins for all of them.

bigzak25
12-02-2004, 01:34 PM
talking backup to manu and bruce, it's all about defensive matchups and how big the other teams SF is. you know dis.

Manu20
12-02-2004, 01:34 PM
so you would go for a 21mn barry and 15 brown.

I will say 25mn for barry and 11 for brown.

JUUOT
12-02-2004, 01:40 PM
it is true it can be a nice problem to have to choose. but sometimes it can kill a team spirit. Hopefully if there is one team where there is less risk it happens it is SA. i hope we can keep both of them. and u know what we do not even consider LJIII...

FromWayDowntown
12-02-2004, 01:48 PM
It is a nice problem to face, but I think when push comes to shove, you can count on more consistency from Barry than you can from Devin. Devin is, without a doubt, the much more explosive player, but from night-to-night, I'm not sure that you can be certain what Devin will bring. Ultimately, Pop's a nut for consistency, and because of that, my guess is that Barry will continue to see the majority of the minutes.

As O'Brien's quotes after the game last night indicate, Devin is (for now at least) still something of an unknown with coaches around the league. Philly gave Devin some good looks from behind the arc last night because O'Brien didn't think he had that kind of range. I'm not altogether convinced that Devin will be a reliable 3 point shooter, but as he gains more and more exposure, teams will figure out what to take away from him. If he's truly improved his range out beyond 15 feet, Devin becomes much more difficult to stop, since he can get to the rim as well. And before you drop his .462 from behind the arc on me, note that he was 2-6 before last night -- he hit as many 3's last night as he hit all of last season. For now, I'm putting last night in the 2001-02 Charles Smith category of "Nice Suprises That I Hope Become Longer Term Trends" . . . but I'm not sold yet.

By the way, he went to Brown ahead of Barry last night, but it was the first time this season that Brent was not the first wing (if not the first player) off the bench. I'm not sure it's a long-term trend; Pop may have tried to capitalize on Devin's good 4th Quarter in Dallas with an early call against Philly.

Spurminator
12-02-2004, 02:20 PM
I like the way Devin is playing knowing that he has to fight for minutes. I'm wary of how his aggressiveness might change if he expects to get 15-20 minutes per night. Keep him hungry. Competition is healthy.

Rummpd
12-02-2004, 04:35 PM
All: Predict the numbers and lay it on the line and sorry Mr. Blazes - did not realize you had changed call signs = new one is a good one!

MadDoc