PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

MaNuMaNiAc
06-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Some time ago my girl started watching this show and she loves it. I mean absolutely loves it. Now she keeps trying to make me watch it...

I hate the damn thing. The only good part is the ending when they show the difference with the before-and-after part. It is sort of cool to see the end product, some great looking houses. What I hate about the stupid show is the unexplicable need to fabricate emotional moments throughout the whole thing. You can tell most of the dialogue is scripted, even the ones from the families, its just so obvious. On top of that these dumbass designers will break down into tears EVERY 5 minutes for some stupid reason. I mean yeah, some families' situation are actually very sad, and I could see how someone could break into tears during those, but EVERY f'n episode they script a section of the show for crying takes... it doesn't fail :rolleyes at least not in the ones I've watched.

It really is corny...

clambake
06-08-2007, 11:14 AM
I always found the hyperactivity of the host to be over-acting.

Then he got arrested for DUI and possesion of meth. I guess he isn't acting.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-08-2007, 11:25 AM
what? you mean the man wasn't high on the love he felt at the end of every show??

clambake
06-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Maybe high on the love of meth. It explains all his screaming in the blowhorn.

SpursWoman
06-08-2007, 11:45 AM
I like that show ... however, the episode where they redid a home for this man who had had cancer really traumatized me. Apparently, even while sick, he was always helping his neighbors...so they were going to do something back for him.

So they totally transformed his home....family crying, happy, etc., and in the end credits you see the "In loving memory of ... " Apparently the man lost his battle with cancer before the show even aired. It was horrifically sad. I couldn't watch it for a while after that. :(

clambake
06-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Scripted or not, I give props to sears.

Sonia_TX
06-08-2007, 01:36 PM
I like that show ... however, the episode where they redid a home for this man who had had cancer really traumatized me. Apparently, even while sick, he was always helping his neighbors...so they were going to do something back for him.

So they totally transformed his home....family crying, happy, etc., and in the end credits you see the "In loving memory of ... " Apparently the man lost his battle with cancer before the show even aired. It was horrifically sad. I couldn't watch it for a while after that. :(

I hadn't watched it in the past couple of weeks. Sad that I missed that one. :( You kind of get a bit emotionally involved in some of these families though.

The one I hated was this couple that wanted to bring their two families together but their houses were too small so they wanted EM:HD to build them a house! WTF? don't you people have jobs? Can't you just buy/rent a home? There wasn't anything special about their story. Nobody was dying, sick, no tragedies... they just wanted a house so all the family could be together. The man had 2 or 3 kids and so did the woman, they weren't even married!! (they got married on the show). It was really dumb. :madrun Most of the other stories I like and usually cry. lol

SpursWoman
06-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Yeah...I'm a sucker for that show and tend to get a little verklempt, too. :oops :lol

PakiDan
06-08-2007, 02:09 PM
That show is great. You all have no hearts.

xrayzebra
06-08-2007, 02:13 PM
I have watched it a couple of times and I often wonder how the
family will keep the "new" house up, since the few times I have
watched they were always very large homes, requiring lots of
electricity and other utilities. And who makes all the payments on
these new homes? And cleans them. Looking at the condition of
the old homes, seems that some are not very good housekeepers
to begin with. I know I would have a hard time paying the
A/C bill on some of these homes.

DarkReign
06-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Some time ago my girl started watching this show and she loves it. I mean absolutely loves it. Now she keeps trying to make me watch it...

I hate the damn thing. The only good part is the ending when they show the difference with the before-and-after part. It is sort of cool to see the end product, some great looking houses. What I hate about the stupid show is the unexplicable need to fabricate emotional moments throughout the whole thing. You can tell most of the dialogue is scripted, even the ones from the families, its just so obvious. On top of that these dumbass designers will break down into tears EVERY 5 minutes for some stupid reason. I mean yeah, some families' situation are actually very sad, and I could see how someone could break into tears during those, but EVERY f'n episode they script a section of the show for crying takes... it doesn't fail :rolleyes at least not in the ones I've watched.

It really is corny...

Can you say "Target: Female Audience ages 25-45"?

Look at soap operas, "chick flicks" and any other melodramatic waste of human entertainment on television. Women eat that shit up and expect men to share in that crap.

Note: the word is "inexplicable" not "un-"...grammar police, I am not.

SpursWoman
06-08-2007, 02:19 PM
I have watched it a couple of times and I often wonder how the
family will keep the "new" house up, since the few times I have
watched they were always very large homes, requiring lots of
electricity and other utilities. And who makes all the payments on
these new homes? And cleans them. Looking at the condition of
the old homes, seems that some are not very good housekeepers
to begin with. I know I would have a hard time paying the
A/C bill on some of these homes.

The A/C bill is a lot easier to digest, I'd imagine, when you don't have to pay the mortgage.

xrayzebra
06-08-2007, 02:21 PM
The A/C bill is a lot easier to digest, I'd imagine, when you don't have to pay the mortgage.

Yeah, but does the show pay off the old mortgage and pick
up the tab and taxes on the new one? I honestly don't
know.

SpursWoman
06-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah, but does the show pay off the old mortgage and pick
up the tab and taxes on the new one? I honestly don't
know.

They get the house mortgage-free. :)

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2007, 02:25 PM
you lack hatred man

xrayzebra
06-08-2007, 02:26 PM
They get the house mortgage-free. :)

Wow! everytime I have seen the show they build a
small mansion. Must have been at least 3000 Sq feet
of living area. Heck, the living rooms were almost the
size of my house, a slight exaggeration, but you know
what I mean. And in one the hard wood floors would
keep one person busy all day..... :lol

Especially with all they kids they had. Hey Mom, look
how you can skate on these floors........... :lol

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2007, 05:11 PM
The one a few seasons back where they built a house for Lori Piestewa's kids...... :cry that one really got me.

Sonia_TX
06-08-2007, 10:09 PM
The one a few seasons back where they built a house for Lori Piestewa's kids...... :cry that one really got me.

I remember that one. :(

polandprzem
06-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Hey - who would like o change my house only from the inside?

I realy was into this show when I was sick and was at home all the time. But now Im not getting any kind of excitment

PakiDan
06-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Hey - who would like o change my house only from the inside?

I realy was into this show when I was sick and was at home all the time. But now Im not getting any kind of excitment

Try tying a necktie around your neck and auto-asphyxiating yourself while they move the bus.... It's a huge rush man!!!

Dan Rather
06-09-2007, 04:14 AM
Why I don't watch anymore

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/micpack.jpg

I made a topic in the Troll forum not knowing there was one in here , This was my question.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70607

A serious question about the Extreme Makeover show
Do the home owners and their families know when they pull up to surprise them, (that they won a makeover) do they know already?

It looks to me that they are trying to make the TV audience think they are surprising the home owners, is that true, or do they know they are already coming to do a show about them?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2007, 09:37 AM

It really is corny...

That's a pretty ignorant and short-sighted take. One of my buds from college and his dad are both electricians in the Houston area, and have been used on the show three times now when they did stories here in Texas.

Of course the dialog by the host is scripted, that's not surprising at all. But they really are heart felt and sad situations that they are helping out. He says it's the hardest thing about doing the show, is going out and hearing the story of the family they are helping out, and the build teams and show staff really do get attached to the family they're helping out.

But if you want to be an ass, feel free to keep up the ingorant hate.

BacktoBasics
06-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Scripted or not, I give props to sears.I really don't. Its a massive write off. It saves them millions of tax dollars donating like this. Its not from the kindness of their hearts its a pure financial move.

BacktoBasics
06-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Who got busted with meth?

Sonia_TX
06-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Why I don't watch anymore

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/micpack.jpg

I made a topic in the Troll forum not knowing there was one in here , This was my question.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70607

A serious question about the Extreme Makeover show
Do the home owners and their families know when they pull up to surprise them, (that they won a makeover) do they know already?

It looks to me that they are trying to make the TV audience think they are surprising the home owners, is that true, or do they know they are already coming to do a show about them?

I just googled and got an article about a family that just learned that they're getting a makeover. So the ABC producers call them to notify them before hand..

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Jun/06/br/br0549823671.html (http://)

(ok, nevermind...it doesn't say they were called I read it wrong... I think I heard one time that they tell the families beforehand to be prepared just in case they show up. I guess that's why the families are always dressed and ready. I am not sure though)

And what's wrong w/the girl in the picture having a mic pack? They have to talk to the families anyway so they would mic them so we can hear them...

clambake
06-09-2007, 10:35 AM
The guy named Ty.

It's not that huge of a write-off. If it were, you'd see more of it, from everywhere. They still have to pay actors and crew. Production is no joke when it comes to cost. Travel and equipment, editing and final cut cost big money.

BacktoBasics
06-09-2007, 11:50 AM
The guy named Ty.

It's not that huge of a write-off. If it were, you'd see more of it, from everywhere. They still have to pay actors and crew. Production is no joke when it comes to cost. Travel and equipment, editing and final cut cost big money.I had no idea that dude got busted with meth. Definately explains his weirdness.

Not a write off for ABC or NBC or whatever its a massive write off for Sears since they are donately millions of dollars worth of shit. ABC gets money from plenty of sponsors. The construction companies get write offs too. The show itself practically runs itself. Donation type shit is the most cost effective spending ever. They can write off full retail no just cost for the equipment.

BacktoBasics
06-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I looked everywhere and all I read is that he was drunk DUI. He looks like he's been on meth but I don't see anywhere that states they found Meth on him or in his vehicle.

SpursWoman
06-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Who gives a damn if someone gets a write-off? I get a write off for donating a small percentage of my paycheck that's deducted for United Way ... should I stop? You get the write off as encouragement to help those less fortunate than you. If it's not written off, you pay tax to the government who then spends it how they choose. Wouldn't you rather have a little more control over it?

I haven't seen a family yet that didn't seriously need the help and wasn't deserving of it.

Bear Grylls
06-09-2007, 01:09 PM
I would rather watch Man vs. Wild

BacktoBasics
06-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Who gives a damn if someone gets a write-off? I get a write off for donating a small percentage of my paycheck that's deducted for United Way ... should I stop? You get the write off as encouragement to help those less fortunate than you. If it's not written off, you pay tax to the government who then spends it how they choose. Wouldn't you rather have a little more control over it?

I haven't seen a family yet that didn't seriously need the help and wasn't deserving of it.Please don't hurt me

Debbie Downer
06-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I just googled and got an article about a family that just learned that they're getting a makeover. So the ABC producers call them to notify them before hand..

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Jun/06/br/br0549823671.html (http://)

(ok, nevermind...it doesn't say they were called I read it wrong... I think I heard one time that they tell the families beforehand to be prepared just in case they show up. I guess that's why the families are always dressed and ready. I am not sure though)

And what's wrong w/the girl in the picture having a mic pack? They have to talk to the families anyway so they would mic them so we can hear them...

I have done some reality Tv and they don't Mic you unless your going to be filmed. Are you going to say there is another family sitting in their home with Mic packs on their bodies waiting to see if they get picked?

The whole purpose of them showing up in the bus and saying to the camera "Shhhhhhh! lets sneak up on the Johnson Family they have no idea we are here and they have been chosen!"

That is down right lying to the Tv viewers making them think the family has no idea.

Placing Mic packs down everyones shorts kinda takes away from the surprise element don't you think?

Ok the ST posters are going to have a surprise Birthday party for Kori and we want WOAI TV to film it so they go to kori's house and Mic her first?

So much for surprise Birthday :lmao

SpursWoman
06-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Please don't hurt me

Then don't be so damn bitter. :lol :lol