PDA

View Full Version : I hate my job sometimes.

easjer
06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
We found out that one of our accepted applicant's record was deleted from our database. We don't know who or when or how. But since I am responsible for the database, for the records, and for overseeing the students who access this data, it's ultimately my fault.

The students aren't supposed to have delete access. But they do, because when our IT guy set up the access, he screwed it up. And despite repeated requests to change things, he didn't. But it wasn't workable, because they couldn't access all the fields they needed for data entry or file verification. And I don't have time to go back and fill in those fields with my password access.

So we finally gave them all the same access level that I have. It's not like my boss was unaware of this issue - she's been doing it to, and she has had the same trouble with the IT guy (more, actually).

But somehow, this file was deleted, so now she's pissed off that I gave the students access and says I should have worked harder to resolve the issue with IT guy.

:bang

It also means we're going to have to trawl all the records and verify the files next week.

:bang

clambake
06-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Shit rolls downhill. Did you expect your superior to claim responsiblity? Your position there is to make her look good, not bad.

Good luck.

PS. I wouldn't broadcast that she knew there was a problem. Keep that conversation between you and her.

tlongII
06-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Sounds like you released the pink slip virus.

Mixability
06-08-2007, 01:28 PM
You really lived up to the title under your username in regards to your attitude towards getting that IT guy to do his job.

angel_luv
06-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your frustration Easjer. Hope you are able to get everthing resolve simply and quickly. :)

PakiDan
06-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Someone's gonna get fired... Someone's gonna get fired.

easjer
06-08-2007, 02:33 PM
No one is getting fired.

This is one mistake under my perview (and not one she thinks I personally made) with a whole laundry list of exceedingly well done projects.

I just needed to vent because I was frustrated with the situation.

It's already resolved (minus the IT guy situation - he is less than reliable and has already put this off multiple times, so I have no idea of when it will get done). I'm already back in her good graces because I've already had the files trawled to ensure accuracy in the electronic data before she thought of it.

Summers
06-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I know someone who did this to someone in college. An old friend of mine had a beef with someone... can't remember what, but it was pretty bad. So she had a friend of hers who had access to the student data base erase him.

easjer
06-08-2007, 02:54 PM
I know it wasn't intentional; not with applicants anyway. And fortunately, we've got three different backups for just this sort of problem. But I've heard stories of things like that happening - that can be a really serious problem if it occurs.