PDA

View Full Version : PSA: If you want to sell kids' clothes on ebay...

Summers
06-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm stocking up on kids' winter clothes. I really love ebay to find awesome cheap kids clothes, but I have to vent. People sell the weirdest shit!

First, 7 articles of clothing does not a "huge lot" make. Ebay should define "huge" as somewhere upwards of 20.

If you pile the clothes into a heap and take a picture, nobody will buy it. We have to see something worthwhile.

Do not mix in your kid's crappy toys, arm floaties, dog treats, whatever in with the clothes just because you're spring cleaning.

Along the same lines, don't mix shoes and clothes. My kid has huge feet, and I have no use for the size 4 shoes you're trying to sell with the clothes that will fit my scrawny preschooler.

Just because it's a big name brand doesn't mean it's attractive. Why would I want my baby to look like a patchwork quilt? Don't trick me into looking at your auction with the word "gorgeous!" in the title.

I don't think I'm a snob, but seriously! People dress their kids in ugly shit. I don't notice it so much when we're out and about in public. I've never been in HEB and gasped at the sheer ugliness of children's attire. I've never seen a kid at the park that's made me mutter "Egads!". Where do the ugly clothes come from? (Well, mostly Michigan from my observations)

If more than 2 items in your auction have a notation like "really worn, but okay for summer play" or "just noticed a food stain on the pocket, but only noticeable in strong light", you need to donate that stuff to Goodwill. It's bad enough my kid is wearing hand-me-downs; I don't want him to look like a street urchin.

I'm not a complete moron. If your starting bid is $9.99 and your shipping price is $10.00 (which is complete baloney when everyone knows you can stuff that fucker in a manilla envelope and mail it for $1.87, but I digress), that is more than the $12.99 you paid for the George brand size 2-toddler 3-piece suit at Walmart.

Okay, I think I've sufficiently ranted and can get back to wading through ugly clothes. Thanks for listening! :)

leemajors
06-08-2007, 12:01 PM
luckily my daughter is still the only grandchild. we get all kinds of stuff from dad and stepmom, mom, and my wife's parents.

Summers
06-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Man, that's sweet. We get toys from our parents... lots of noisy toys. :lol I'd rather have pajamas!

leemajors
06-08-2007, 12:07 PM
if they are toys, we plead that they not have multiple pieces!

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2007, 03:44 PM
LMFAO!!!

oh my god that is so damn true! :lol
especially the mixing shoes and clothes... i run itno that all the time and it pisses me off. Isabella is a 3T (just barely) and wears a 7w. "apparently" all the other 3T's wear a 8 or 8.5. :rolleyes.

And I am constantly amazed at all the auctions labeled "So CUTE!!" "Gorgeous!" "just ADORABLE!" "Must LOOK!! New & hip!!" and they of course are NOT!
I once saw an auction of 4 - thats right FOUR! - sailor outfits. sailor dresses, sailor shirrts, sailor shortalls.. with hats ick. bidding started at .99c.... shipping was $15 flat. :lol
I wanteed to message them and tell them noone was going to buy thier decades old ugly shit.

Flea
06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
I used to love shopping on Ebay many years ago for kids clothing and now I don't even bother. You have to go through so many crappy listings and then you find something you think you might like and they try to rip you off on shipping.

NorCal510
06-08-2007, 05:40 PM
first off, who shops for their childrens close on ebay?

...people

SpursWoman
06-08-2007, 06:31 PM

...people

Spoken like someone who has never had to buy clothes that kids outgrow faster than you can cut the price tag off.

Expensive clothes for toddlers & babies are a COLASSAL waste of money.

ChumpDumper
06-08-2007, 06:35 PM
One of my hangups is wearing a stranger's clothing.

SpursWoman
06-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Toddlers & babies usually don't care...their diapers leak and they vomit all over it indiscriminately. :lol :lol

ChumpDumper
06-08-2007, 07:22 PM
they vomit all over it indiscriminately.So do I.

SpursWoman
06-08-2007, 07:33 PM
:lol :lol

Summers
06-08-2007, 07:49 PM

...people

Poor housewives who'd rather sleep in on the only day they're allowed to instead of going to garage sales.... ass!

NorCal510
06-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Spoken like someone who has never had to buy clothes that kids outgrow faster than you can cut the price tag off.

wal mart

SpursWoman
06-08-2007, 07:53 PM
wal mart

True ... but when you have to extra clothes to leave at daycare, in the diaper bag, at grandma's, the cheaper the better.

Ebay wasn't around when mine were that age, but I had tons of cousins & friends with kids a little older than mine that would give me all of their stuff....most were some pretty damn nice things. I was pretty lucky. :)

Summers
06-08-2007, 07:53 PM

Exactly! I swear Ben's legs grow another inch every month.

Summers
06-08-2007, 07:58 PM
wal mart

Perhaps you have a misconception of ebay. I could spend $100 a month at WalMart just keeping up with my 2 growing boys. Or I can spend about $50 in one shopping spree like I just did buying them an entire winter wardrobe of Old Navy jeans, Ralph Lauren oxfords, Gymboree sweaters... You get the idea. It's the world's biggest garage sale... If you look through enough crap, you'll find really good deals on good stuff.

marini martini
06-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Have u checked out Goodwill?? Tons of good brands for cheap! I have a friend that loves getting bargains there, then resells to kid's resale shop!

Summers
06-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Have u checked out Goodwill?? Tons of good brands for cheap! I have a friend that loves getting bargains there, then resells to kid's resale shop!

Yes, but nothing's organized by size or gender, so you have to go through a lot to find a few things you like. Most of it's crap, as in dirty, torn, etc. I live in San Marcos... might be different in SA in the right part of town. :)