PDA

View Full Version : Dvr 2 Dvd

DannyT
06-08-2007, 03:37 PM
anyone know how to pull a recorded program off of dvr and put it on the dvd?

i have a box from time warner
i believe its an 8300 scientific....if anyone has done this i would appreciate your help, i dont have xp media edition...but if i can connect usb to the box or if i can pull the hard drive out of the cable box let me know....

thanks

johngateswhiteley
06-08-2007, 03:43 PM
it can be done, but i don't know how. i await a response as well...

SpursWoman
06-08-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't know if this is much help, but we've copied a couple of the games we DVR'd onto DVDs ... with my DVD player/recorder. :drunk

resistanze
06-08-2007, 05:25 PM
You need to connect an external SATA Hard Drive to your machine.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/1283/98/

Summers
06-08-2007, 08:01 PM
I don't know if this is much help, but we've copied a couple of the games we DVR'd onto DVDs ... with my DVD player/recorder. :drunk

Yep, that's how we do it.

resistanze
06-08-2007, 08:18 PM
True, that's how I recorded the World Cup last year, how could I forget :lol

DannyT
06-10-2007, 02:10 AM
yeah thats how my brother in law does is is off is dvd recorder but then he was to actually play the whole thing as it records....kinda like old school dubbin....but i was just trying to avoid the 150 dollar purchase and use the pc some how

PM5K
06-10-2007, 03:56 AM
You need to connect an external SATA Hard Drive to your machine.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/1283/98/

Does that work, I'd imagine the files are on a special file system that's also probably encrypted.....

I've used this once to get a fight off my DVR:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100112

I don't know of anything else that will work unless you have a stand alone DVD Player/Burner...

missmyzte
06-10-2007, 04:26 AM
You can use a camcorder. Plug the A/V cords from your camcorder to your DVR, there should be instructions in the camcorder's booklet. Record what you want, then plug your camcorder into the PC and rip it using a video-editing program. Then burn it onto a DVD.

It's a pain to go through all the steps, which would explain why I don't do it, but if you really want to, that's one way.

DannyT
06-10-2007, 09:32 AM
tight tight....thanks i will look into the usb joint....but im not sure how the cables connect as it looks like they are rca's and looks like they need a pair of rca to connect to the composite video and audio but im sure i could use the s vid if i had to....so on the laptop will i just plug the audio into the mic?

but ifi dont get that i will look into the camcorder idea....thanks mizz and everyone else

boutons_
06-10-2007, 10:28 AM
The format of the files on the S/A Explorer are NOT readable industry-standard formats, so adding a bigger external drive is no help.

When the video is stored on S/A (or external drive) they are compressed, causing loss of quality. The easiest way to copy to DVD isn't copy, but playback from DVR disk through the S-video output of the DVR to S-video PC capture card to PC disk, giving another step of video compression and loss of quality.

With high-quality, large screen TVs, the loss of quality from 2 steps of loss-y video compression is noticeable.

The best quality is to avoid the DVR drive step completely and capture direct to PC disk as the first/last step, using a high-bit rate compression ( 3 Mbits/sec minimum). Hauppage cards do this well, including scheduled capture and downloadable program listings matching the facilties in the DVR alone.

To cut out the ads without compressing again, use a video splicer tool that snips out the unwanted segments without re-compressing (quality loss). This usually means video in MPEG2 rather than MPEG4.

Video processing and editing is a really complex, time-consuming pain in the ass and tools aren't cheap.