PDA

View Full Version : Pop endorsed Presti interview during the playoffs

ShoogarBear
06-08-2007, 08:25 PM
So claims the Tacoma News Tribune. Some other interesting tidbits regarding Pop and Presti's relationships with PJ and Newman.

Also, Lenny Wilkins' reign as president didn't last very long.

Link (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/81537.html)

Wilkens ‘put out to pasture’

FRANK HUGHES; The News Tribune
Published: June 8th, 2007 01:00 AM

Less than two months into his role as Seattle SuperSonics president, Lenny Wilkens had his power stripped by chairman Clay Bennett. When the Sonics hired Sam Presti as general manager Thursday, Bennett took away Wilkens’ title as president and renamed him vice chairman because, sources say, Bennett was upset with the short tenure of the 69-year-old Wilkens and wanted to, as one source said, “put Lenny out to pasture.”

From Wilkens’ unsavory handling of the announcement of his position of president to his perceived mismanagement of the hiring of a general manager and coach, Bennett was said to be so upset with Wilkens the divide was irreversible.

Wilkens will remain with the organization in an advisory capacity, but day-to-day power has been handed to the 30-year-old Presti.

Though Wilkens is likely to be a small part of the search for a coach, the ultimate decision will fall to Presti and Bennett, who has quietly taken on more of a decision-making role in basketball operations.

The team attempted to downplay the decision at the news conference announcing the hiring of Presti and buried the information in the ninth paragraph of a 13-paragraph release.

When asked about the restructuring, Bennett said: “I am so pleased to find the skill set that Sam represents. And to do the job and be accountable and be responsible, he has to have the authority. He has to have the absolute authority in conjunction with ownership.”

Still, as the search for a general manager unfolded, sources say it became clear Wilkens no longer was favored by Bennett, who in part hired the Seattle icon because he was a conduit to the public for an ownership group from Oklahoma City that had no ties to the Pacific Northwest.

That relationship began to unravel almost immediately, when Wilkens went on KJR-AM radio on April 26 and announced he was the team’s president.

On April 25, the day after the Sonics fired coach Bob Hill and general manager Rick Sund without a press conference to explain their decisions, KJR producers contacted Sonics staffers in an attempt to get Wilkens on the air with host Mitch Levy the following morning.

Sonics employees told KJR they needed to clear the interview with Bennett in Oklahoma City. The Sonics told KJR they would call them back Wednesday night if the interview was on, and the Sonics told Wilkens they would call him if it was OK to conduct the interview.

Late Wednesday night, Bennett’s representatives said it was not OK to conduct the interview. A source told The News Tribune it was because contract negotiations between Wilkens and Bennett were not complete. A source said Wilkens was asking for far more money than Bennett was willing to pay and the sides had not reached an agreement.

Thursday morning, KJR producers hadn’t heard from Wilkens so they contacted him at home. Wilkens told producers he had not heard from the Sonics. KJR producers said they had been speaking with the Sonics the day before. Wilkens then relented and went on the air with Levy.

Apparently, it was a miscommunication. When Wilkens said he had not heard from the Sonics, he meant he had not gotten confirmation to conduct the interview. When producers told him they had been speaking with the Sonics the day before, Wilkens assumed they meant they had gotten the OK.

Still, when Wilkens went on the air, he told Levy the team was working toward naming him president of the organization – even though a contract had not been signed.

A team spokesman that afternoon said Wilkens’ claim was not true, and that he would confirm it later in the day. The Sonics did not confirm Wilkens’ new position until the next day, after an agreement on a contract had been reached.

Bennett was enraged by Wilkens’ pre-emptive announcement, multiple sources say, and viewed it as an underhanded way for Wilkens to force him into agreeing to a contract. Before the relationship even started, a rift was formed. One source said while the contract was agreed upon, it was never signed, the reason it was so easy for Bennett to demote Wilkens back to a consultant role.

Despite his anger, Bennett had no choice but to allow Wilkens to conduct a search for a general manager and a coach. He had fired Wally Walker, Sund and Hill and had no one left to whom he could turn.

But as teams around the league with vacancies conducted their own searches, Wilkens allowed his search to drag on while considering hiring his son as a scout.

Then, as the San Antonio Spurs were competing in the playoffs, coach Gregg Popovich called Bennett to endorse assistant coaches P.J. Carlesimo and Don Newman as potential replacements for Hill.

During the conversation, Popovich also told Bennett he did not have to wait until after the playoffs to request an interview with Presti. Bennett asked Popovich if Wilkens had called the Spurs to request permission and was informed he had not. Bennett was further angered by that bit of news, sources say.

Though Wilkens had interviewed Portland consultant John Gabriel and Atlanta Hawks assistant general manager Gary Fitzsimmons, Bennett interviewed Presti and Washington Wizards assistant general manager Tommy Sheppard by himself.

It wasn’t until Tuesday night in Colorado Springs, Colo., that Wilkens met Presti, though by then it was established in Bennett’s mind that Wilkens no longer would have a significant say and Bennett was going to make the final decision.

In fact, up until Bennett decided to hire Presti, Wilkens had been informing Gabriel he was going to recommend Gabriel to Bennett for the opening. Apparently, Wilkens did not know Bennett was planning on taking away his power.

What this means for the future of the organization and for Wilkens remains to be seen, but in the short term it implies Presti will have significantly more input in major decisions than originally believed.

Several league insiders thought Wilkens wanted to hire his friend Paul Silas for the coaching vacancy, but this likely means Silas will not get the job, at least not based on Wilkens’ recommendation.

Presti has a good relationship with Rick Carlisle, recently fired by the Indiana Pacers, and though he is not close with Carlesimo, he has inside knowledge of him.

Also, this means the end of Wilkens’ one-year stint as the team’s color announcer. FSN spokeswoman Jill Wiggins confirmed on Thursday that Wilkens had telephoned program director Mark Shuken and informed him he would not take the job next season. Wiggins said it was too soon to name a replacement.

Phenomanul
06-08-2007, 08:38 PM
How would Presti not be close with Carlesimo?

T Park
06-08-2007, 08:48 PM
that tells me Pop didn't think he was the "phenom" anymore.

Shit.

RC didn't want to go if Lenny Wilkens was in charge.

Damn, TAKE RC INSTEAD!!!!

Kori Ellis
06-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I heard last night at the game that Carlesimo is not a top choice of Presti's at all for the coaching job.

It makes me wonder how well liked PJ is within the organization by other people.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2007, 08:54 PM
that tells me Pop didn't think he was the "phenom" anymore.

It doesn't tell me that at all. The article says that Pop was calling Bennett to recommend PJ and Newman. And that while on the phone he gave an endorsement and permission to talk to Presti (the Sonics were already interested in Presti). That doesn't seem like Pop didn't think highly of Presti. It just makes it seem like he wasn't going to hold him back.

What's weird is that every summer Pop calls around trying to sell people on PJ and no one bites. I wonder if Pop still wants PJ here.

T Park
06-08-2007, 08:54 PM
PJ must be a grating personality.

He was not well liked in Oakland and Portland.

He seems to not be the most loved in SA.

WTF is his deal

T Park
06-08-2007, 08:56 PM
And that while on the phone he gave an endorsement and permission to talk to Presti

yup

and IMO, if he was still untouchable, and still thought of as a "genius" then Pop would've reccommended RC instead.

I know I would've :pctoss

Phenomanul
06-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Still I don't like the fact that he is taking critical draft knowledge with him...

Kori Ellis
yup

and IMO, if he was still untouchable, and still thought of as a "genius" then Pop would've reccommended RC instead.

I know I would've :pctoss

:lol

He's never been untouchable. They've always supported him and knew he wanted to be a GM. Why would he have recommended RC when they were interested in Presti and RC had already said he wasn't interested in moving there until Wilkens?

Marcus Bryant
The plot thickens.

T Park
06-08-2007, 08:59 PM
RC had already said he wasn't interested in moving there until Wilkins?

thats what im trying to say.

Pop could've reccommended RC, bennet would've called, RC says, not interested if Wilkens is in charge, he tells RC hes not, RC leaves, Presti takes over as GM.

Voila.

ShoogarBear
06-08-2007, 09:01 PM
It doesn't tell me that at all. The article says that Pop was calling Bennett to recommend PJ and Newman. And that while on the phone he gave an endorsement and permission to talk to Presti (the Sonics were already interested in Presti). That doesn't seem like Pop didn't think highly of Presti. It just makes it seem like he wasn't going to hold him back.

What's weird is that every summer Pop calls around trying to sell people on PJ and no one bites. I wonder if Pop still wants PJ here.Course, you could use the same argument to say Pop was offering Presti because he doesn't want him here any more, either.

Clearly PJ really wants another head coaching job and maybe Pop feels he's paid his penance as an assistant and has earned it.

But if I was a GM, I really don't know why I would take PJ over either one of the many more established and accomplished coaches, or any of the younger, more promising ones. PJ had a couple of chances and didn't exactly make himself a star. There's no shame in that, lots of great assistants are guys who never panned out as head coaches.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2007, 09:01 PM
By the way, Shoogar's thread title is pretty misleading. It wasn't Pop's idea for the Sonics to interview Presti. As the article states, "Popovich also told Bennett he did not have to wait until after the playoffs to request an interview with Presti."

The Sonics already had the idea and desire to interview Presti before talking to Pop.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2007, 09:03 PM
thats what im trying to say.

Pop could've reccommended RC, bennet would've called, RC says, not interested if Wilkens is in charge, he tells RC hes not, RC leaves, Presti takes over as GM.

Voila.
Except RC is more highly thought of in the Spurs organization than Presti. Thus they would prefer to keep RC if they were losing one of the two.

T Park
06-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I would've offered up RC before Presti.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2007, 09:04 PM

I get that.

The Spurs don't think of RC as lowly as you do.

T Park
Except RC is more highly thought of in the Spurs organization than Presti. Thus they would prefer to keep RC if they were losing one of the two.

he has naked pics of Holt, thats the only reason.

ShoogarBear
Okay, noted. My point was that Presti was getting bashed for the timing of interviewing/acceptance, and it appears that may been Pop's initiative.

timvp
It has been public knowledge for a while that the Spurs will let Presti and any of the coaches interview during the playoffs. With how teams rush to make their hires in the offseason, it'd really lower the chances of anyone on the Spurs getting jobs if they didn't have that policy.

However, I haven't seen anywhere where Pop or the Spurs say it was cool for Presti to get hired away before the playoffs were over. That's a whole different ball game. Even if Presti has nothing to do with on the court play, the potential for distraction -- even if minor -- should have dissuaded Presti from having it announced during the Finals.

Again, I've never heard in the history of sport where someone leaves an organization in the middle of a playoff run.

T Park
The Spurs don't think of RC as lowly as you do.

The Spurs are morons.

No question.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2007, 09:07 PM
My point was that Presti was getting bashed for the timing of interviewing/acceptance, and it appears that may been Pop's initiative.

True. Of course, Pop/Spurs granted permission for the interview. Though I'm not sure everyone thought he'd be out the door before the draft.

The second round is going to be interesting with the Sonics picking two picks before the Spurs :lol

timvp
06-08-2007, 09:07 PM
My point was that Presti was getting bashed for the timing of interviewing/acceptance, and it appears that may been Pop's initiative.

Since the first round we've known that Presti and PJ could do interviews. Being interviewed wasn't the issue. Being hired away in the middle of the playoffs is what I'm questioning.

ShoogarBear
06-08-2007, 09:12 PM
That's still not whole point. The Sonics didn't call the Spurs to ask about Presti. Pop called the Sonics.

According to the article, Pop called Bennett to endorse PJ and Newman.

Then, without prompting, he also told him they could interview Presti.

That's an entirely different scenario than the Sonics calling the Spurs asking for permission.

I think the new thread title is equally misleading.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Then, "without prompting", he also told him they could interview Presti.

The article doesn't say without prompting. It doesn't say either way.

That's an entirely different scenario than the Sonics calling the Spurs asking for permission.

I think the new thread title is equally misleading.

And the article says that Bennett was pissed off because he thought Wilkens already called asking for permission. So the point is that the Sonics already wanted Presti before talking to Pop. Pop didn't start the idea.

How is the new title misleading? Didn't Pop endorse the Presti interview during the playoffs?

texasqb2
06-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Who cares when they get interviewed or hired......Presti or Buford interviewing or accepting a job before the playoffs, during the playoffs, or after the playoffs will have absolutely NO bearing on how the spurs do during the playoffs.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Kori,
Long post but i want your real take on PJ.

You always hint that PJ isn't all he's cracked up to be.

It's true (at least as I recall) that PJ is recommended by Pop for any vacancy in the last 2 or 3 off-seasons. I always thought Pop supports PJs coaching aspirations and thinks highly of him and believes he deserves a head coaching job. I've never figured out why PJ doesn't even make the initial cut for the team looking to hire a head coach (I chalked it up to the sprewell thing and the stupidity of most basketball owners and GMs in the league.)

But the way you chuckle here whenever someone pimps PJ as a good coach, and now with the news that Presti doesn't seem to like him either, I wonder what the hell is wrong with PJ. I, along with a lot of other people at ST, always believed PJ was a damn good coach.

BUT

You aren't a fan (as far as I can tell.)
Pop seems not to be a fan.
No team has hired him and there have been a ton of open jobs.
According to this article, Presti isn't going to hire him and doesn't even like him??? I thought that would be a given that Presti takes him.
:wtf
Does he suck that bad?
If so, why doesn't Pop just fire his ass?

Kori Ellis
06-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Who cares when they get interviewed or hired......Presti or Buford interviewing or accepting a job before the playoffs, during the playoffs, or after the playoffs will have absolutely NO bearing on how the spurs do during the playoffs.

This isn't about the playoffs. It's about the draft.

texasqb2
06-08-2007, 09:21 PM
also why wouldn't Pop want his assistant coach or assistant GM become a head coach or a general manager. The spurs are a tight group and I am sure Pop wants to see his guys who aren't at the top be allowed to start their program and become successful as a head guy...see Danny Ferry or Mike Brown

texasqb2
06-08-2007, 09:22 PM
This isn't about the playoffs. It's about the draft.

well people are saying they have no problem interviewing for a job during the playoffs but not announcing it til after the playoffs....who cares?

Kori Ellis
06-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Kori,
Long post but i want your real take on PJ.

You always hint that PJ isn't all he's cracked up to be.

It's true (at least as I recall) that PJ is recommended by Pop for any vacancy in the last 2 or 3 off-seasons. I always thought Pop supports PJs coaching aspirations and thinks highly of him and believes he deserves a head coaching job. I've never figured out why PJ doesn't even make the initial cut for the team looking to hire a head coach (I chalked it up to the sprewell thing and the stupidity of most basketball owners and GMs in the league.)

But the way you chuckle here whenever someone pimps PJ as a good coach, and now with the news that Presti doesn't seem to like him either, I wonder what the hell is wrong with PJ. I, along with a lot of other people at ST, always believed PJ was a damn good coach.

BUT

You aren't a fan (as far as I can tell.)
Pop seems not to be a fan.
No team has hired him and there have been a ton of open jobs.
According to this article, Presti isn't going to hire him and doesn't even like him??? I thought that would be a given that Presti takes him.
:wtf
Does he suck that bad?
If so, why doesn't Pop just fire his ass?

I don't know PJ on any personal level and I don't have insight into what goes on in their coaching circle. I do know that some people consider him to be very brash and hard to work with.

That being said, I don't get how he gets overlooked to even interview for jobs. There have been some horrible, scrub coaches getting hired in the past few years and the Spurs have been practically advertising that PJ is available. Therefore, it's not hard to conclude that something must be an issue, if he doesn't even get an interview.

It's far enough past the Sprewell deal now that he should be able to at least get some looks. From the outside PJ always appears personable and seems to be well liked by people around the Spurs. What goes on outside the public view, I have no idea.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2007, 09:28 PM
well people are saying they have no problem interviewing for a job during the playoffs but not announcing it til after the playoffs....who cares?

The Sonics draft two spots ahead of the Spurs in the second round. People have a problem with him leaving during the playoff run, distracting the team by leaving before the season has ended and also using the knowledge he acquired scouting for the draft for the Spurs to draft players for the Sonics.

And can you try to capitalize your sentences? They are hard to read.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't know PJ on any personal level and I don't have insight into what goes on in their coaching circle. I do know that some people consider him to be very brash and hard to work with.

That being said, I don't get how he gets overlooked to even interview for jobs. There have been some horrible, scrub coaches getting hired in the past few years and the Spurs have been practically advertising that PJ is available. Therefore, it's not hard to conclude that something must be an issue, if he doesn't even get an interview.

It's far enough past the Sprewell deal now that he should be able to at least get some looks. From the outside PJ always appears personable and seems to be well liked by people around the Spurs. What goes on outside the public view, I have no idea.

He's won 2 rings here, right?
Pop wouldn't keep dead weight around and he absolutely wouldn't keep someone who's not good to work with (Corporate Knowledge is the saying?)
I always thought it retarded that he isn't hired.

Of course, basketball GMs and owners have never been accused of making good decisions.

If Presti doesn't even consider PJ, I think PJ should give up trying to be a head coach and just stick around here as long as he can.

btw -- good luck Sam spreading the Gospel of San Antonio.

timvp
06-08-2007, 09:39 PM
It looks like what happened was:

1) Bennett hires Wilkens as a token gesture to the Seattle community. Bennett hoped that by hiring the local icon, he would appear open to the idea of staying in Seattle.

2) Bennett tells Wilkens to go hire a GM. At first, this GM was to work under Wilkens as Wilkens would serve as team president and have final say in matters.

3) Bennett tells Wilkens to look at the Spurs -- specifically Buford and Presti.

4) Buford isn't interested in job for whatever reasons (control, money, lame duck status of team, whatever).

5) Pop calls Bennett to try to unload PJ. Bennett checks with Pop to make sure Wilkens did his job of talking to the Spurs' personnel. Pop tells Bennett that Wilkens never called.

6) Bennett gets pissed and decides to circumvent Wilkens and calls Presti himself. Presti impresses Bennett.

7) Bennett decides to hire Presti and to strip all power from Wilkens.

I'm not sure what the title of the thread should be, but it looks like that's what happened.

:smokin

texasqb2
06-08-2007, 09:48 PM
The Sonics draft two spots ahead of the Spurs in the second round. People have a problem with him leaving during the playoff run, distracting the team by leaving before the season has ended and also using the knowledge he acquired scouting for the draft for the Spurs to draft players for the Sonics.

And can you try to capitalize your sentences? They are hard to read.

So when do you want Presti to take the job then? After the draft? That's the most critical time for a GM....If he wants to be a GM and run his own show, now was the time

picnroll
06-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Every one is guessing who is sharper Presti or Buford. Facts is Manu was drafted pre-Presti. Reported by Ludden was that Buford was sold on Parker when Pop wasn't and asked Presti to put a tape togethr to convinve Pop. Presti gets credit for Mahinmi, apparently Beno and the Russian stiff.

If all that is true can't say that Presti's eye for talent loss has me too concerned. Maybe his talents were more as an accountant. The real eye for talent I believe is Pop but unfortunatley or fortunately he's so tied up going deep into the playoffs to do much talent evaluation. Also he probably wanted to defer to Buford and Presti on that responsibility.

easjer
06-08-2007, 10:13 PM
So when do you want Presti to take the job then? After the draft? That's the most critical time for a GM....If he wants to be a GM and run his own show, now was the time

Yeah, but the Spurs paid him for that work, the benefit of which goes to his new team. Additionally, the Spurs could be harmed by the fact that Presti knows of their plans and hopes for the draft, which could potentially interfere in any number of subtle ways. Presti won't openly screw the Spurs, but he can indicate certain things or snake us on a trade offer or any number of things.

And it's classless to announce that on the eve of the fucking NBA finals. Plain and simple. If the team that has been loyal to you and good to you by even allowing you to interview (which they have no obligation to do), the least you could do is make sure that there is nothing that could distract them.

He's got every right to take the job and of course whenever he took the job, he'd be taking valuable knowledge. It just could have been handled in a more appropriate manner.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2007, 10:34 PM

That's why you're running circus rides.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2007, 10:35 PM
The Spurs are morons.

No question.

Yep. Spurs = 3 rings, fixing to get #4.

Tpark = 0 rings, outside of the ring pop he bought at the 7-11.

Clearly the Spurs are fucking stupid.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2007, 10:36 PM
I really don't know why I would take PJ over either one of the many more established and accomplished coaches, or any of the younger, more promising ones.

Who are all the established, accomplished coaches out there ready for jobs? And while you're at it, spit out the younger, more promising ones.

Thanks.

SequSpur
06-08-2007, 11:14 PM
RC is not going anywhere. I can guarantee that.

Presti is a 30 year old ballboy supervisor... WGAF?

whottt
06-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Maybe Pop is just trying to do the right thing by everyone...

I think if Pop didn't want PJ here...he wouldn't be here. Pop doesn't suffer fools lightly.

And he probably did want Buford over Presti...Buford has been his partner for a while.

T Park
06-09-2007, 01:36 AM
Yep. Spurs = 3 rings, fixing to get #4.

Tpark = 0 rings, outside of the ring pop he bought at the 7-11

funny people question your intelligence based on "where are your championship rings"

You get all offended.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

MannyIsGod
06-09-2007, 01:37 AM
Maybe Pop is just trying to do the right thing by everyone...

I think if Pop didn't want PJ here...he wouldn't be here. Pop doesn't suffer fools lightly.

And he probably did want Buford over Presti...Buford has been his partner for a while.I think thats exactly correct People tend to read into things too often, but it has been reported that this is Pops style. He loves to see people succeed and he's always promoting people.

When he recruited Finley he told him to do what was best for him. He does this for everyone. It just seems thats his MO. Pop rules man.

genghisrex
06-09-2007, 01:56 AM
Presti may be an up-and-comer, but I don't see how this suddenly makes RC a stale GM. It wasn't that long ago that people were touting RC as the Spurs' wunderkind and I don't recall anyone being upset when Pop stepped aside as GM to help prevent RC from jumping ship to another franchise.

Short of RC wanting to go elsewhere, I don't know why the Spurs would have replaced him with Presti and I'm not at all convinced that would have been a better move for this franchise. Pop and RC seem to make a good team and they've got history together and with this franchise. Good basketball decisions over the years and loyalty have to mean something.

Kori Ellis
06-09-2007, 01:59 AM
I don't really care that much about all this, but look for the Sonics to steal at 31 whoever the Spurs were going to draft at 33. :lol

whottt
06-09-2007, 02:17 AM
I don't really care that much about all this, but look for the Sonics to steal at 31 whoever the Spurs were going to draft at 33. :lol

And hopefully Presti will go with his "instinct".

TDMVPDPOY
06-09-2007, 02:34 AM
pop playin mind games again

the rich gets richer

objective
06-09-2007, 02:47 AM
1. How does Presti have a good relationship with Carlisle? When would those two ever get together? As far as I know Carlisle has never been on any euro scouting trips with Walsh or Bird so it's not like they could have gotten to know each other on the road.

2. Maybe the Spurs would like Carlesimo out of the #1 chair to make room for Ettore Messina, who supposedly would accept an AC job with a team like the Suns or Spurs.

timvp
06-09-2007, 02:58 AM
1. How does Presti have a good relationship with Carlisle? When would those two ever get together? As far as I know Carlisle has never been on any euro scouting trips with Walsh or Bird so it's not like they could have gotten to know each other on the road.

That's what I've been trying to figure out. When Presti came into the league, he wasn't close to anybody in the NBA. So sometime between 2000 and now he became close to Carlisle.

The weird thing is Carlisle has been either an assistant coach or a head coach for each of those seasons. They attended some of the same summer leagues so perhaps that's where they formed their relationship. But that'd be pretty odd to form a good enough relationship with a coach in summer league that he becomes your number one choice over a guy like PJ.

It to make it even weirder, Carlisle was PJ's assistant coach for like three years in Portland.

Right now if I had to guess, I'd guess Presti hires Carlisle.

BeerIsGood!
06-09-2007, 03:03 AM
I think thats exactly correct People tend to read into things too often, but it has been reported that this is Pops style. He loves to see people succeed and he's always promoting people.

When he recruited Finley he told him to do what was best for him. He does this for everyone. It just seems thats his MO. Pop rules man.

It seems that Pop's M.O. is definitely to help out whoever he thinks highly of no matter who they are. Raja Bell more than likely would still be an obscure no-name player overseas if not for Pop. I can't imagine many coaches go to those lengths to help players or coaches when he doesn't get anything of value in return. It say's a lot.

ShoogarBear
06-09-2007, 06:37 AM
How is the new title misleading? Didn't Pop endorse the Presti interview during the playoffs?Pop "endorsing" the interview is more or less a big "duh". It wouldn't have happened otherwise, unless Holt decided to overrule him.

What this article may be suggesting is that Pop pushed for the Sonics to interview Presti, in much the same way that he pushes for PJ to get a job.

picnroll
06-09-2007, 07:32 AM
What's also strange is Carlisle, I believe, has the reputation of being somewhat distant with his players, not a player's coach. Pop on e otherhand has a hands on approach. If true you would think Presti would appreciate Pop's approach and be somewhat leery of a guy who has alienated two different teams' players, even if many of those players were knuckle heads.

ploto
06-09-2007, 07:35 AM
I think that PJ is more suited to be a college coach than an NBA head coach and is probably more tolerable- for lack of a better word- with a team with more players from Europe who are more used to an authoritarian style of coaching. Away from coaching, he seems to be quite pleasant. His coaching persona is brash, but I also think Pop has used him to fill that role on his staff.

As for Presti- I do not see how people reading this article can come to the conclusion that somehow Sam has lost his luster. Seattle wanted him to be the GM so much that they basically stripped power from Wilkens and gave it to Presti to get him to take the job. Otherwise, he probably wasn't going to go there.

As for Pop's actions- EVERYONE knew Seattle would want to talk to Presti, and Pop just told them they didn't have to wait. There was no way that Presti would have waited until after the draft to join the Sonics. I can at least partially understand people caring about it being during the playoffs but to expect him to wait until after the draft is far-fetched.

And of course, everyone who leaves one job to go somewhere else takes with them knowledge, education, and experience gained at their previous job and on the payroll of their previous employer. Why do you think the Spurs stash players in Europe where they can develop on someone else's payroll? All you owe your job is to perform your duties to the best of your ability WHILE you are there in return for the salary and benefits for which you have agreed. It's a business arrangement and that is how it works-- you do your job and they pay you. And be assured Presti has contributed greatly and leaves behind with the Spurs many things that he has developed and created. Why can't people just leave it at that. He was good for the Spurs and they are sorry to see him go but are happy for him and knew it would happen soon anyway.

ggoose25
06-09-2007, 08:13 AM
If Presti is responsible for Beno, and the Euro infusion (minus Parker) let him go.

Spurs havent drafted shit since Parker, and I'm tired of watching draft day just to see us pick another 18 yo native Antartican that we trade for a 2nd round draft pick in 2020

BIG IRISH
06-09-2007, 09:05 AM
If Presti is responsible for Beno, and the Euro infusion (minus Parker) let him go.

Spurs havent drafted shit since Parker, and I'm tired of watching draft day just to see us pick another 18 yo native Antartican that we trade for a 2nd round draft pick in 2020 :clap :clap that the spurs let set overseas till 2030

exstatic
06-09-2007, 09:26 AM
he has naked pics of Holt, thats the only reason.
He got rid of Malik's and Rasho's contracts. That pretty much makes him a witch.

exstatic
06-09-2007, 09:35 AM
What's also strange is Carlisle, I believe, has the reputation of being somewhat distant with his players, not a player's coach. Pop on e otherhand has a hands on approach. If true you would think Presti would appreciate Pop's approach and be somewhat leery of a guy who has alienated two different teams' players, even if many of those players were knuckle heads.
Exactly. I'm thinking Carlisle is a terrible hire there. How is he supposed to control the traveling Ganja Circus that are the Sonics? He's a terribly light weight version of Larry Brown, a good Xs and Os coach who doesn't relate to the players.