PDA

View Full Version : Game 2 Adjustments

timvp
06-08-2007, 10:21 PM
For the Cavs:

--Find a way to slow down Parker. This has to be their number one goal. If Parker is getting to the basket like he was in Game 1, it's almost impossible to beat the Spurs. Their best options looks to be LeBron James. Larry Hughes didn't look like he could do it. Perhaps Boobie Gibson has a chance, but not for long stretches. It'll have to be up to LeBron.

--Play with Boobie. The kid is on fire. Whatever he's shooting is going in right now. On top of that, he's playing pretty good defense. He's confident and is in a groove. I expect 35 minutes from him in Game 2, whether he's starting or coming off the bench.

--Get Big Z going. The Cavs are going to try to force it into Big Z and let him operate down low. It makes sense to go to him no matter who the Spurs have on him. Oberto and Elson aren't great matchups for him and if Duncan is guarding him, Big Z can try to get Duncan in foul trouble.

--Get LeBron the ball deeper. In Game 1, LeBron almost always got the ball on the perimeter. In Game 2, expect him to catch the ball closer to the foul line as often as possible. Either way, LeBron will have a bounce back game and should have good numbers.

--Rebound better. The Cavs are a very good rebounding team. Expect them to come out with more of a purpose on the boards in Game 2.

For the Spurs:

--Don't leave Boobie uncovered. He's on fire right now and is knocking down all his jumpers. In the fourth, the Spurs didn't do a very good job of staying with him at all times. As it stands, he's a guy you simply can't double team off of.

--Expose Boobie. If he's going to play more minutes, the Spurs have to expose him defensively. If he's guarding Parker, Parker needs to drive the lane. If he's guarding Manu, Manu needs to drive the lane. The Spurs have stronger guards and need to use that to their advantage.

--Get Manu a bit more involved. If he has a mismatch, I wouldn't mind a few more isolations called for him. Manu has to do his part and drive the ball to the basket. The Cavs are physical and will send you to the line if you attack.

--Up the tempo. The Cavs are a very good halfcourt defensive team. Probably the best the Spurs have faced in the playoffs. It's hard to score on them in that setting. To combat that, the Spurs need to get out on the break. Transition points in this series are going to be huge. Parker and Manu meed to push the ball and the bigs need to run.

--Concentrate. While the whole world is waiting to crown the Spurs, it's way too premature to be thinking of a championship. In Game 2, the Spurs need to come out and concentrate on winning the game. It's easy to lose focus and start looking at the big picture instead of the next step. The Cavs are a good team. Their two best players played as bad as they can play and they still only lost by nine points. Game 1 was far from their best punch. Expect them to play better and be prepared to up your game to match their intensity.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2007, 10:29 PM
--Up the tempo. The Cavs are a very good halfcourt defensive team. Probably the best the Spurs have faced in the playoffs. It's hard to score on them in that setting. To combat that, the Spurs need to get out on the break. Transition points in this series are going to be huge. Parker and Manu meed to push the ball and the bigs need to run.

Agreed. The Cavs' gameplan goes out the window when the Spurs get out on the break.

As for James, the Spurs should continue to put the pressure on him. While he can be expected to enter Game 2 with more intensity and focus, the opportunity is there to take advantage of a young player out to do too much at once.

Avitus1
06-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I agree with everything you say.

I think that Finley definitely needs to get going. He had a few open looks and just couldn't knock it down. Fin is going to have to work harder! Other then that I think he played solid defense it was only his offense that was lacking.

davidpuddy1
06-08-2007, 10:40 PM
100% agree with everything you said. Excellent post.

Brown has GOT to play Gibson more. Hughes is just hobbling around and cannot keep up with anyone. Snow needs to see a little time as well... he is probably the only one who can defensively match up agaisnt Parker.

One more key for the Cavs... don't expect the Spurs to miss as many open shots as they did in the first half.

MrChug
06-08-2007, 10:42 PM
--Play with Boobie.
--Don't leave Boobie uncovered.
--Expose Boobie.

These are fuckin CLASSIC timvp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao

EXCELLENT POST!!

Avitus1
06-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Yea Snow definitely needs more time on the floor. He's done this dance before he should know whats at stake and that'll make him even more important.

duncan228
06-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I don't understand why Brown said he wouldn't start Gibson.
Did I miss something? How can a hobbled Hughes be a better option than a hot Boobie?

SpurOutofTownFan
06-08-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't think they can do much about anything. It is clear they wanted to slow down parker and they couldn't. Maybe playing in their home court they are able to do it 1 or 2 times while TP is having and off night. He does from time to time. I know Manu will own at least one game as visitor. He always does that in each series and bails everyone out. Anyway, my 2cents.

raspsa
06-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Did I miss something? How can a hobbled Hughes be a better option than a hot Boobie?

Hughes is on record saying his foot is feeling better even w/o taking an injection and this was after game 1 so we can assume he may be seeing even more playing time.. maybe this is why Mike Brown will keep him in the starting line up.. I anticipate Pollard getting some playing time so he can rough up Duncan a bit.. also, more hard fouls on Parker to keep him out of the lane.. Pavlovic's hard foul in Q1 really shook Parker up and he wasn't the same until later on in the 3rdQ

duncan228
06-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Hughes is on record saying his foot is feeling better even w/o taking an injection and this was after game 1 so we can assume he may be seeing even more playing time.. maybe this is why Mike Brown will keep him in the starting line up..

Thanks...I did miss that. I still thought he was in pretty bad pain.

UV Ray
06-08-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't see any effective solution for Parker. Sure the Cavs can try to limit him in short stretches. For Spurs fans looking for a sweep, Parker is the key. The intimidation that Duncan's shot blocking provides had LeBron hesitating and totally out of sync. It doesn't much matter if TD has a monster night offensively because he's always capable of great defense whether the shots are falling or not.

As you mentioned, potential for TD foul trouble might be exploited with some success, but offensively, I don't see the Cavs consistently able to deliver to LBJ inside against a tough Spur defense. I see the Spurs stepping up their offensive rebounding as well. As much as I hate to say it... I can't say it...

florige
06-08-2007, 11:21 PM
James actually didn't do too bad of a job on Parker when he was sticking him. With James length and leaping ability he can afford to play off of Parker and still manage to bother his jump shop some. I think we will see Lebron more on Parker in game 2. Snow can't stay with Parker, he is waaaay to quick for Snow at this point in Snow's career. I think Brown knows that and thats why he didn't even try it in game 1. THe Cavs also did a good job of knocking the ball away from Manu on a couple of his drives during the 2nd half. He got a few calls that bailed him out on a couple of them. I think that Barry and Finley are going to be the X-factors in this series before it's all said and done. We are going to need someone else who can turn it on if the Cavs manage to keep Parker from getting to the basket.

FromWayDowntown
06-08-2007, 11:49 PM
As much as I'm inclined to think that James and Boobie are keys here -- and I certainly do think they're important -- I think that a vital issue for the Spurs remains a commitment to the defensive glass. The Spurs limited the Cavs to 9 offensive boards in Game 1, which isn't perfect but a pretty good first effort. Overall, the Spurs grabbed just short of 78% of the total defensive boards available to them, which is a pretty good number against Cleveland. I think that number needs to stay at about 73-75% for this series.

ambchang
06-09-2007, 12:03 AM
The reason Brown is hesitant to play Gibson is because of his defense. He had a couple of strips, but he can't keep up with Parker, and he can't guard anybody else because of his size, and this wrecks, the Cavs defensive scheme because he would NOT want to double anybody on the perimeter when Duncan is taking so much attention.
Gibson is quick, but he has yet to understand positioning on the defensive end that well.

picnroll
06-09-2007, 12:08 AM
James actually didn't do too bad of a job on Parker when he was sticking him. With James length and leaping ability he can afford to play off of Parker and still manage to bother his jump shop some.
James backed way off Parker and left him wide open jump shots. If it was one of those nights where Parker was hitting his 16 footer Spurs would have been up 20 at the half.

Guajalote
06-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Look for the Cavs to plug up the middle and make the Spurs beat them with jumpshots.

I predict Finley will have a breakout game. When I consider how long he's waited and how close he is (oh yeah, and how much last year's game 7 loss must have hurt), he's got to be a great white that smells blood. Look for 4-5 3's. Just a hunch.

As far as offense, I think Boobie will get a lot of playing time. I think that Coach Brown will deal with any defensive lapses from him in exchange for the spacing that he'll provide LBJ.

This game will definitely be an interesting one.

michaelwcho
06-09-2007, 01:06 AM
It's hard to imagine Brown wanting LeBowned on Parker (did I just write that?). They need him to be strong in the fourth quarter, so do they really want him to chase around Parker all game? Notice for all of Kobe's rep as a superior defender, he actually chooses to rest on that side of the ball and loads up for O. As long as Bron guards Bowen, he gets to rest there, too. How much will he have in the tank if he has to carry the team and guard Parker, too?

T Park
06-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Ginobili is gonna have to bring his A Game sunday.

Offensively, and defensively on sunday.

He will have to body up on Gibson, cause Parker cannot get worn out guarding him and using energy defending Gibson

KidCongo
06-09-2007, 01:55 AM

Brown hates playing rookies...

BeerIsGood!
06-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Brown knows that if he plays Boobie for 35 minutes the game is going to be higher scoring and I don't think he wants that. The Cavs have a better offensive punch with Boobie, but there is absolutely no one for him to guard. Parker blows by him, Manu goes right through him, and he's not a good help defender to put on Bowen and help off of. He won't effect TD on the block on a double so either Lebron or Sasha will stay with Bowen to provide size on doubles. It's a catch 22 for Brown because his defense can't play as well with Boobie but his offense is horrid without Boobie. Other than scrapping PnR for the most part and having Lebron isolate I can't see many adjustments that Brown can make that his team will feel comfortable running. I think that's the key here, we can all talk about them doing this and that, but the fact is the offense they are comfortable running is going strictly through Lebron and putting the ball in other's hands is foreign and uncomfortable to them.

You say to get the ball to Lebron deeper, but Lebron isn't a good post up player and wasn't very effective playing off the ball coming off of screens in game 1. I can't think of a way to get him the ball deeper without him posting Bowen and being swarmed on the catch with his back to the basket, and that's not his game. I see a lot of ISO's coming in game 2 and the Spurs are going to have to give help in the lane and have crisp rotations on the pass.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 07:17 AM
For the Spurs: Hit outside shots. The opportunities will be plentiful, as the Cavs are going to aggressivley pack the lane trying to prevent a repeat of the bludgeoning they got in game 1. If the shooters can hit open shots this game will be over before the end of the second quarter.

ShoogarBear
06-09-2007, 07:27 AM
As much as I'm inclined to think that James and Boobie are keys here -- and I certainly do think they're important -- I think that a vital issue for the Spurs remains a commitment to the defensive glass. The Spurs limited the Cavs to 9 offensive boards in Game 1, which isn't perfect but a pretty good first effort. Overall, the Spurs grabbed just short of 78% of the total defensive boards available to them, which is a pretty good number against Cleveland. I think that number needs to stay at about 73-75% for this series.The number of Cavs offensive rebounds are going to be a reflection of the number of shots they missed. 78% defensive rebounding by the Spurs (higher than their regular season average) in combination with a low Cavs FG% is phenomenal, and I'll take it every time.

The thing I'd like to see the Spurs do more of is the PnR. For a good defensive team, the Cavs were incredibly bad at defending it in the first couple of quarters, and then it seemed the Spurs just stopped running it.

Spurs Brazil
06-09-2007, 10:30 AM
--Play with Boobie. The kid is on fire. Whatever he's shooting is going in right now. On top of that, he's playing pretty good defense. He's confident and is in a groove. I expect 35 minutes from him in Game 2, whether he's starting or coming off the bench.

He's playing like Antonio in 01 playoffs after DA injury

In Mavs series Antonio was on fire hitting everything

It seems in every year playoffs one of those players show up

JJ in 99, Croshere in 00, Antonio in 02 and again in 05

samikeyp
06-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Antonio wasn't in SA in 05.

Spurs Brazil
06-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Antonio wasn't in SA in 05.

I know but he had a good series against us with the Sonics

samikeyp
06-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Ahh yes! Good call! :tu

td4mvp3
06-09-2007, 10:40 AM
if gibson's out there and lebron is on parker, wouldn't manu or finley take gibson to school? hell, hughes would still be at a disadvantage, i'd think, since manu can get to the rim like tony.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I expect more Lebron on Parker. Which means... we need to pick and roll his ass to death.

First, Cleveland showed in game 1 they can't defend the PnR to save their lives. Second, by bringing say, whoever Ilgauskas is guarding out to set the pick, you just sprung Parker in a foot race with Z from the three point line. I like our odds there.

Third, every time you set a pick on James you are getting a free shot to beat him up and wear him down a little bit, kinda like a boxer hitting his opponent continually in the ribs. The first shot won't get him, but over time you wear him down.

We need to attack Gibson defensively and make Mike Brown HAVE to take him out. We can do this with isos for whoever he is guarding, putting him into PnR situations, and also posting him up. Manu and Finley should be able to easily post him up, and I've also seen Parker take smaller guys into the post before. Actually now that I think about it, we should pound on him with the pick and roll as well. Let's see how long he stays in his 'groove' after getting knocked on his ass a couple of times by Oberto, Duncan, Horry, and Elson.

Speaking of Gibson, we CANNOT leave him open. A lot of the shots he got in the fourth weren't a case of us doubling off of him, but rather Parker and Vaughn sagging off of him looking to help defensively. Those two have GOT to stay at home on him when he's in the game.

The only other thing to add is agreement with FromWayDowntown that we need to continue to do a good job on the defensive glass. Cleveland isn't getting easy looks, and we've got to keep it that way.

On one final note, I expect Mike Brown to take a page out of the playbook of the Lakers back when we struggled with them in the post-season. Namely, look for him to start sagging his defense into the lane to A) frustrate Duncan and B) keep Parker and Manu out of it.

He's basically going to challenge us to beat him with the jump shot, and we better be up to the task.

cherylsteele
06-09-2007, 11:11 AM
if gibson's out there and lebron is on parker, wouldn't manu or finley take gibson to school? hell, hughes would still be at a disadvantage, i'd think, since manu can get to the rim like tony.
If Gibson is on Finley, I can see Finley posting him up a lot and hitting that turn around "J".

boutons_
06-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Spurs had only 3 players in double figures (vs 5).

3 starters scored total of 8 pts.

Excluding "fake bencher" Manu, Spurs bench scored 10 pts. Robert did have an amazing 6 AST, and Francisco 6 RBs.

The offense will need more balance to be reliable, to complement the hustle stats of RBs, STLs, forced TOs, BLK.

Shooting 45% @home is not championship offense.

Room for lots of improvement, by both teams.

SA210
06-09-2007, 12:18 PM
DEFENSE! Go Bruce!

Phenomanul
06-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Also look for Oberto to get more done....

T Park
06-09-2007, 01:11 PM
agreed on the added pick and rolls.

on defense, switch Parker off of Gibson and put Ginobili on him.

Someone with a better body size to body him up and stay in front and keep a long arm in front of him.

Maybe throw a little zone at em.

Force guys like Z and Gooden to shoot outside shots.

picnroll
06-09-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm betting the Cavs will try to isolate LeBron on Bowen at the top of the key some, flattening the offense along the baseline.

ArgSpursFan
06-09-2007, 04:05 PM
something that is missing for the spurs ,as far as adjustments is :start hiting the mid and long range jumpers.(mostly by Finley,Manu and Horry)

O-Factor
06-09-2007, 04:20 PM

Brown is a Pop disciple. He probably wants the points off the bench with boobie, like we use Manu. But dont get me wrong. Boobie is no Ginobili...

td4mvp3
06-09-2007, 04:28 PM
something that is missing for the spurs ,as far as adjustments is :start hiting the mid and long range jumpers.(mostly by Finley,Manu and Horry)
you think it was jitters or the defense?

ArgSpursFan
06-09-2007, 04:30 PM
most of them were open looks.So I would say Itīs something that the spurs need to adjust or improve.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 06:36 PM
As much as I'm inclined to think that James and Boobie are keys here -- and I certainly do think they're important -- I think that a vital issue for the Spurs remains a commitment to the defensive glass. The Spurs limited the Cavs to 9 offensive boards in Game 1, which isn't perfect but a pretty good first effort. Overall, the Spurs grabbed just short of 78% of the total defensive boards available to them, which is a pretty good number against Cleveland. I think that number needs to stay at about 73-75% for this series.

Spurs held the 2nd best rebounding team in the NBA to 32 boards, 11 under their season average and outrebounded them by 11.

T Park
06-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Hopefully the Spurs can duplicate the series vs UTAh against Cleveland.

Utah was a great rebounding team and the Spurs held them in check.

Another thing needed is Oberto needs to have a better game. He was pretty useless in game 1.

Dro210
06-09-2007, 06:46 PM
^He was... Elson really stepped it up in his absense tho. He was out there playing, going for loose balls, rebounds, and blocks (didn't get any, but he was after 'em) like he realized it was the NBA Finals. Good to see

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 07:32 PM
The Spurs didn't have many open three looks at the beginning of the game, and the opportunities started to open up as the game progressed and the Cavs overplayed and double teamed. The Spurs just missed a lot of shots they normally make. As long as they keep taking the smart shot they will start going in.

td4mvp3
06-09-2007, 07:46 PM
The Spurs didn't have many open three looks at the beginning of the game, and the opportunities started to open up as the game progressed and the Cavs overplayed and double teamed. The Spurs just missed a lot of shots they normally make. As long as they keep taking the smart shot they will start going in.
here's hoping. i think cleveland takes game 2, though.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 07:58 PM
here's hoping. i think cleveland takes game 2, though.
I don't see how that's possible. The Spurs missed three out of every four outside shots they took in game 1. If they shot like that against Denver, Phoenix or Utah they'd probably lose by double digits. They certainly wouldn't be up by 20 in the fourth quarter.

The Spurs are capable of going out and failing to show up, as they've done once so far this postseason, but that's the only chance the Cavs have. I can't find a single legitimate basketball reason that the Cavs can win a game in this series if the Spurs are playing well. If they prove me wrong, then power to them.

td4mvp3
06-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't see how that's possible. The Spurs missed three out of every four outside shots they took in game 1. If they shot like that against Denver, Phoenix or Utah they'd probably lose by double digits. They certainly wouldn't be up by 20 in the fourth quarter.

The Spurs are capable of going out and failing to show up, as they've done once so far this postseason, but that's the only chance the Cavs have. I can't find a single legitimate basketball reason that the Cavs can win a game in this series if the Spurs are playing well. If they prove me wrong, then power to them.
not sure about your stat, they had above 45 percent shooting, which seems on par with the rest of their scoring this post season. and if the cavs do the same as they did in game one but james has a more 7-17 game (20 or so points) the cavs can win.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 08:38 PM
not sure about your stat, they had above 45 percent shooting, which seems on par with the rest of their scoring this post season. and if the cavs do the same as they did in game one but james has a more 7-17 game (20 or so points) the cavs can win.
According to the shot charts on ESPN.com for the game, here's how the Spurs shot from outside the paint:

1st quarter 3-10 = 30%
2nd quarter 2-11 = 18%
3rd quarter 3-13 = 23%
4th quarter 3-9 = 33%

11 of 43. 26% for the game, that's dismal outside shooting, and those shots weren't highly contested, so unless the Cavs play defense by ESP it was just bad shooting.

I checked, and the Spurs shot 34%, 39%, 45% and 39% from outside the paint in their four LOSSES in this year's playoffs, and the Spurs led by double digits until the last minute of the game. The only worse quarters they've shot than the four against Cleveland were the first against the Nuggets, the collapse against the Suns, and the fourth against the Jazz. I have to see them shoot that poorly again for four consecutive quarters to believe it's anything other than the effects of 8 days off.

If your FG% stat is correct, that means the Spurs made up for it in the paint. Unless the Cavs completely change their defense, the Spurs are going to kill them inside again. That means even more opportunities to shoot open jumpers, and the math dictates that those shots start to go in the more they are taken. Unless Hedo's ghost comes back for game 2 they are going to have a hard time losing, even if Lebron scores 30 on 15 shots. Nothing short of a complete Spurs collapse on both ends is going to save Cleveland, I'm afraid.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 08:43 PM
According to the shot charts on ESPN.com for the game, here's how the Spurs shot from outside the paint:

1st quarter 3-10 = 30%
2nd quarter 2-11 = 18%
3rd quarter 3-13 = 23%
4th quarter 3-9 = 33%

26% for the game, that's dismal outside shooting, and those shots weren't highly contested.

I checked, and the Spurs shot 34%, 39%, 45% and 39% from outside the paint in their four LOSSES in this year's playoffs, and the Spurs led by double digits until the last minute of the game. The only worse quarters they've shot than the four against Cleveland were the first against the Nuggets, the collapse against the Suns, and the fourth against the Jazz. I have to see them shoot that poorly again to believe it's anything other than the effects of 8 days off.

If your FG% stat is correct, that means the Spurs made up for it in the paint. Unless the Cavs completely change their defense, the Spurs are going to kill them inside again. That means even more opportunities to shoot open jumpers, and the math dictates that those shots start to go in the more they are taken. Unless Hedo's ghost comes back for game 2 they are going to have a hard time losing, even if Lebron scores 30 on 15 shots.

When you face a team with the best low post threat in the game, two star penetrators, and a plethora of outside shooters you won't be able to shut down them all.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 08:46 PM
When you face a team with the best low post threat in the game, two star penetrators, and a plethora of outside shooters you won't be able to shut down them all.
I'm perfectly ready to give Cleveland's defense credit, just as soon as the Spurs shoot that bad again in this series.

td4mvp3
06-09-2007, 09:02 PM

1st quarter 3-10 = 30%
2nd quarter 2-11 = 18%
3rd quarter 3-13 = 23%
4th quarter 3-9 = 33%

11 of 43. 26% for the game, that's dismal outside shooting, and those shots weren't highly contested, so unless the Cavs play defense by ESP it was just bad shooting.

I checked, and the Spurs shot 34%, 39%, 45% and 39% from outside the paint in their four LOSSES in this year's playoffs, and the Spurs led by double digits until the last minute of the game. The only worse quarters they've shot than the four against Cleveland were the first against the Nuggets, the collapse against the Suns, and the fourth against the Jazz. I have to see them shoot that poorly again for four consecutive quarters to believe it's anything other than the effects of 8 days off.

If your FG% stat is correct, that means the Spurs made up for it in the paint. Unless the Cavs completely change their defense, the Spurs are going to kill them inside again. That means even more opportunities to shoot open jumpers, and the math dictates that those shots start to go in the more they are taken. Unless Hedo's ghost comes back for game 2 they are going to have a hard time losing, even if Lebron scores 30 on 15 shots. Nothing short of a complete Spurs collapse on both ends is going to save Cleveland, I'm afraid.
well, you've got me there, i was just looking at the overall shooting stats. good numbers though, man.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 09:10 PM
well, you've got me there, i was just looking at the overall shooting stats. good numbers though, man.
Thank you. My only goal was to keep you from worrying about game 2, so I hope the work was worth it. :toast

ShoogarBear
06-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Anybody else have any thoughts on the Cavs PnR defense? Were they worried too much about covering the perimenter? I mean, even the Nuggies and Suns played it better than that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Anybody else have any thoughts on the Cavs PnR defense? Were they worried too much about covering the perimenter? I mean, even the Nuggies and Suns played it better than that.

They flat out sucked. I said it in the game thread, and have earlier in this one. We need to run PnR until they prove they can stop it.

We tore Cleveland up the first quarter of G1 with it, then went away from it for the entire second quarter and struggled greatly.

Why, I don't know...

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 09:56 PM
The Spurs had three 3 pointers attempted, all misses, until Manu's shot at the end of the first half off a designed play. Limiting three opportunities was good defense by the Cavs. It was fool's gold because the Spurs weren't hitting anything and were still up by five because of their dominance inside. When you have to give up the paint in order to limit jumpers that's not championship defense. If they dare to change it up it's going to get bloody real fast.

florige
06-09-2007, 10:04 PM

For Finley it's probably more Jitters than anything. It seems it always takes Manu a game or 2 or sometimes 3 to catch fire. And you all know the story with Horry.

florige
06-09-2007, 10:09 PM
The Spurs had three 3 pointers attempted, all misses, until Manu's shot at the end of the first half off a designed play. Limiting three opportunities was good defense by the Cavs. It was fool's gold because the Spurs weren't hitting anything and were still up by five because of their dominance inside. When you have to give up the paint in order to limit jumpers that's not championship defense. If they dare to change it up it's going to get bloody real fast.

So you don't think that Cleveland is going to collaspe the paint on Duncan and force us to make jumpers being as though thats where we killed them Fri?

ShoogarBear
06-09-2007, 10:13 PM
The best way to beat anybody in the playoffs is to make them shoot contested jumpers. Especially if they've got a Duncan on the blocks.

Obviously you don't want to leave people wide open behind the arc, but you've got to think that you'd rather have guys trying to closing out jump shooters than giving up easy shots in the paint and picking up fouls.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 10:13 PM
So you don't think that Cleveland is going to collaspe the paint on Duncan and force us to make jumpers being as though thats where we killed them Fri?
I was just answering the question about defending the pick and roll. The most success they've had so far is in giving up the paint to limit threes, but they still got shredded and Duncan wasn't really having a good offensive game. In my opinion, they have no choice but to try harder to defend the rim, and everybody knows it because otherwise Duncan's gonna drop 40 points on them. The Spurs are all telling their shooters to be ready and the lead's going to get out of control really quick unless the Spurs just can't throw it in the ocean. I'm on record saying I expect this game to be a runaway before halftime because of the wide open shots. The Cavs can't stop everything, and because of that, in the end they won't be able to stop anything.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 10:15 PM

...and they didn't even do a good job on defending the 3, as the Spurs shot 37.5% on 16 3pt attempts in Game 1. That was a shade under their regular season average of 38.1%. If they had shot 37.5% from 3 in the regular season their ranking in 3pt FG% would not have changed (4th).

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 10:17 PM
...and they didn't even do a good job on defending the 3, as the Spurs shot 37.5% on 16 3pt attempts in Game 1. That was a shade under their regular season average of 38.1%. If they had shot 37.5% from 3 in the regular season their ranking in 3pt FG% would not have changed (4th).
But the Spurs only had four attempts in the first half, the one make on Manu's shot with one second left off a designed inbounds play. Holding the Spurs to four attempts and one make was pretty good.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 10:21 PM
About the only impact the Cavs were able to have on the Spurs' perimeter game was that the Spurs averaged 19.0 3pt attempts per game in the regular season and 19.5 per game in the playoffs. The Spurs have shot 39.0% from 3 in the playoffs so maybe there's been a slight impact, but overall the impact of the Cavs' D has been negligible.

florige
06-09-2007, 10:21 PM
I was just answering the question about defending the pick and roll. The most success they've had so far is in giving up the paint to limit threes, but they still got shredded and Duncan wasn't really having a good offensive game. In my opinion, they have no choice but to try harder to defend the rim, and everybody knows it because otherwise Duncan's gonna drop 40 points on them. The Spurs are all telling their shooters to be ready and the lead's going to get out of control really quick unless the Spurs just can't throw it in the ocean. I'm on record saying I expect this game to be a runaway before halftime because of the wide open shots. The Cavs can't stop everything, and because of that, in the end they won't be able to stop anything.

Your post always seem to give me reassurance when I start thinking otherwise.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 10:23 PM
But the Spurs only had four attempts in the first half, the one make on Manu's shot with one second left off a designed inbounds play. Holding the Spurs to four attempts and one make was pretty good.

Sure, but that didn't translate into a lead at half. The Spurs still got into the paint far too often, the big 3 got their points, and the Spurs still 'got theirs' from beyond the arc.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Sure, but that didn't translate into a lead at half. The Spurs still got into the paint far too often, the big 3 got their points, and the Spurs still 'got theirs' from beyond the arc.
Agreed. It don't look good for the Cavs, do it? :fro

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Your post always seem to give me reassurance when I start thinking otherwise.
If I could find any reason to be worried, I'd be worried. Lebron is capable of dropping 40 or 50 on the Spurs and winning a game by himself. Probably not going to do it twice, though. The Spurs are capable of taking a game off, as they've done before, but probably not two.

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2007, 11:03 PM

Early in the game, the Spurs were effective with Parker-Duncan pick and rolls that were defended by James and Ilgauskas. I would think that Pop would exploit that every time it happens, because Ilgauskas doesn't have the speed to give any sort of a hedge to Parker. Parker was able to turn the corner pretty much whenever he wanted to, which made the Cavs defense quite vulnerable. With Ilgauskas involved, Cleveland can't switch the play, so that also creates space for Duncan to make a hard roll to the rim as James and Ilgauskas scramble to get back to their assignments.

It seems to me that one obvious cure is to play Gooden or Varejao on Duncan in that situation, but: (1) the Spurs' counter to that would seem to be pounding the ball to Duncan in 4-down mode so that he can exploit his advantages over those guys; and (2) that leaves the other side of the floor, where the Spurs can do to Ilgauskas what they did to Boozer early in the WCF, running Oberto/Elson to the rim on backdoor plays and giving them some easy looks.

Ultimately, I think that as long as James is checking Parker, you have to make him work on the defensive end and one great way to do that is to play pick and roll with Parker and Duncan. That combination, I think, just presents too many decisions for the Cavs and too many options for the Spurs with the added benefit of taxing Lebron a bit.

As much as it would seem to be contrary to Pop's personality, I wonder if the Spurs chose to stop pounding the Cavs with pick and roll hoping to give them something else to look at for Game 2. I would agree that the Cavs' first counter would seem to be the decision to pack it in (I wonder now why more teams don't just start playoff series against the Spurs with that mentality) and force jump shots, which takes away some of the pick and roll stuff and puts the onus on the wings to make some shots. Had the Spurs consistently hit shots late in Game 1, it might have made the Cavs think twice about packing the lane - if that's Brown's first adjustment.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Good call. The shooters will be that much tougher if they can hit some open shots early, and then let Duncan handle mop up duty when they try to adjust.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Against other opposing coaches I might worry, but I think Pop already has trumps 2 and 3 to drop on the Cavs' moves in Game 2.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Against other opposing coaches I might worry, but I think Pop already has trumps 2 and 3 to drop on the Cavs' moves in Game 2.
Nah. Brown might be an average coach, but I don't think their problems are going to be addressed with adjustments. At least Custer could have turned back.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 11:54 PM
The Cavs are going to have to cut off Parker's penetration. I'm expecting them to focus on him in Game 2 and do what they can to take the ball out of his hands. The problem is, the Spurs are used to rotating the ball and finding the open opportunity. Maybe they pack the paint and force the Spurs to beat them from outside. The last team in recent memory that I've seen pull that off with any success was the '04 Lakers and they had probably the most physically intimidating frontcourt in NBA history. The Spurs had Hedo.

Mavs<Spurs
06-10-2007, 12:06 AM

I completely agree with your take, Obstructed View.

Unless we can't hit the broad side of a barn, this next game is win by at least 15 points.

LeBron will have a better game, but the improvement in our offense (which was clearly badly affected by the 8 days off) will be greater than the improvement in LeBron's offense.

Game 2 probably is a win by a wide margin.

This also was Rich Kamla's take on NBA tv.

Those jumpshots were just too wide open and our shooters have proven over the years that they can knock those out. We have proven shooters on this team:

Finley (shooting about 50 % from 3 prior to last game), Barry (high % 3 pt shooter), Manu (shooting better than 50 % from 3 this playoffs), Bruce (from the corner, in any event, is pretty reliable), Bonner (42 % from 3 for his career).

Obstructed_View
06-10-2007, 12:07 AM
The Cavs are going to have to cut off Parker's penetration. I'm expecting them to focus on him in Game 2 and do what they can to take the ball out of his hands. The problem is, the Spurs are used to rotating the ball and finding the open opportunity. Maybe they pack the paint and force the Spurs to beat them from outside. The last team in recent memory that I've seen pull that off with any success was the '04 Lakers and they had probably the most physically intimidating frontcourt in NBA history. The Spurs had Hedo.
Fortunately there are no ex-Kings on the perimeter, and no gold jerseys to make them piss themselves. Quicker rotation by the Cavs just means shooters are that much more open.

T Park
06-10-2007, 12:24 AM
If they cut off Parker's penetration, Finley, Ginobili, Bowen, and Horry better be ready to make shots.

Period.

gilmor
06-10-2007, 03:54 AM
Bottom line is to run alot and use a lot of PnRs to get the Cavs bigs into foul troubles. Expect Parker to be defended profusely. They may use the same set on Parker as we have used on James. In that case, the open man has better hit his shots. I see immediately a bigger role for Manu. If Manu is on, there is no one in that Cavs team who can stop him. And with so much attention focused on Parker and Duncan, Oberto better has at least a B+ game..

timvp
06-10-2007, 05:04 PM
I have a feeling this game will come down to the Spurs' three-point shooters hitting shots. To stop Parker's penetration and the Spurs' pick-and-rolls, I expect Mike Brown to send help. That should leave shooters open.

If the Spurs can capitalize against that defensive strategy as well as they did in Game 1 and Game 2 of the Jazz series, the Spurs will be fine. But if the Big 3 isn't passing well or the outside shooters are missing, it could get ugly for the Spurs offensively.

That said, Mike Brown knows the Spurs are going to expect that adjustment because that's how every team adjusts to the Spurs. Brown could very well go with a defense that just will force Parker into hitting jump shots. He could put LeBron on Parker and just go way under every PnR and just not let Parker penetrate.

If that's the case, hopefully Parker can knock down a few jumpers. As a Spurs fan, the second defensive adjustment is scarier than the first one. Outside of 2004 versus the Lakers, the Spurs have always made teams pay for leaving three point shooters. If Parker misses 17 footers and they deny him the lane, that will bog down the Spurs offense.

Either way, if the Spurs can get out and run and get a lot of fast break points, that could be enough right there. Parker and Manu need to attack early in the shot clock whenever possible.