View Full Version : NBA.com Power Rankings: Dec. 2, 2004

Manu20
12-02-2004, 04:45 PM
By Rob Peterson

High jump of the week: Clippers (+10)
Free fall of the week: Grizzlies (-9)

TEAM (LAST WK) REC. BREAKDOWN

1 Phoenix (2)
13-2 Quibble with our fourth No. 1 in as many weeks, will you? Check this -- They've won nine straight, Amaré's playing like an All-Star and Nash was Player of the Month. That's what I'm talkin' aboot!

2 Seattle (1)
14-3 Only No. 2 because the Suns have been tanning hides as of late. We can't flog this stat enough: .395. That is what the Sonics are shooting from behind the arc -- as a team!

3 San Antonio (3)
13-3 Four wins last week -- and five in a row overall -- by an average of 16.5 points. Next up: The defending NBA champion Pistons with Ben Wallace back.

4 Sacramento (5)
10-5 They said the Kings were dead. Who are they? They are obviously the people who haven't seen Sacramento win nine of its last 10 games.

5 Orlando (8)
9-5 They've averaged 113 ppg in their last four to vault past Miami to the top of the Southeast Division. Kudos to coach Davis, who was named the East's Coach of the Month for Nov.

6 Minnesota (7)
9-5 Lost to the undermanned Pacers on Thanksgiving, but have been perfect since, gorging themselves to the tune of 114.3 ppg in their three consecutive wins.

7 Dallas (6)
10-6 Nowitzki's digits in the last three games: 25.3 ppg and 15.0 rpg. Got waxed in San Antonio as asst. coach Avery Johnson took the helm for an evening in a strange Don Nelson "experiment."

8 Miami (4)
10-6 The last two times Shaq has led the Heat in scoring, the Heat have lost. The last time in the last week D-Wade led Heat in scoring: A win. Make of that what you will.

9 Cleveland (11)
9-6 He's third in the league in scoring (25.5), he has more total steals than anyone (36) and he was the East's Player of the Month for Nov. And to think, Bron is only 19. So good, so soon.

10 Indiana (12)
10-5 Let's just give it up right now for Rick Carlisle. (Applause!) I mean, please, to have this team at 10-5 without O'Neal, Jackson and Artest, in addition to all the injuries is just amazing.

11 L.A. Clippers (21)
10-6 They've won five consecutive games and no one's been larger than Brand, who has averaged 27.3 ppg in his last three games. Schedule's nice too: Next four are at home.

12 Detroit (10)
7-7 He may not get the hardware, but is there any player more valuable to his team than Big Ben? They went 3-3 while he was away. He returns in time to take on the Spurs on Fri.

13 Washington (15)
8-5 They're spankin' folks. Their only loss in their last six games was a 116-114 OT thriller to Philly. Three starters -- Jamison, Arenas, Hughes -- average more than 19.5 ppg.

14 L.A. Lakers (13)
9-7 Brian Cook had a career night in Milwaukee on Tue. (25 pts., 11 rebs.), only the second time Kobe hasn't led the team in scoring this season. Losing to the Bulls on Wed. drops 'em a notch.

15 Portland (17)
8-6 Handed the Sonics their only loss in last six games on Tuesday. They have three days to prepare for the rematch at Key Arena in Seattle on Sat.

16 Denver (16)
8-6 Have won six of their last seven, but are still fourth in the rugged Northwest. Five guys average double-figure scoring and five different players have led them in the last five games.

17 New York (18)
8-6 Their record may not stand out, but it's good enough to lead the Atlantic. They've won three straight but head out on the road for four of their next five.

18 Utah (9)
8-8 Facing at least a month without their Mr. Everything -- Kirilenko -- who's out with a sprained knee. And it doesn't get easier with Mavs, Heat and Magic on the docket.

19 Philadelphia (23)
6-8 A.I.'s having his best season since his MVP year (2001) as he's in third in the NBA in scoring (25.5 ppg), fifth in assists (7.7 apg) and ninth in steals (1.85 spg).

20 Boston (20)
6-8 Ricky Davis has flourished off the bench in the Hub averaging 16.3 ppg as a sixth man. After the Raptors on Fri., the C's are looking at a killer five-game trip West starting Sun.

21 Toronto (22)
7-10 Though they've lost three of their last four, you can't say they're boring as they've scored 103.5 ppg in that stretch. Unfortunately, they've also given up 110.8 ppg in those four.

22 Houston (19)
6-10 Struggled mightily of late, losing their last four games. T-Mac's averaging 20.2 ppg this season, almost eight fewer than last, and only 18.0 ppg during the losing streak.

23 Memphis (14)
5-11 Set adrift by Hubie's retirement last week, the Grizz have lost six in a row. Sources say new coach Mike Fratello, the Czar of the Telestrator, has tremendous upside.

24 Milwaukee (24)
4-9 Turnovers, missed shots, offensive fouls. Coaches don't like these, especially in the closing moments of close games. Bucks have had their share in their last two ugly losses.

25 Golden State (25)
3-11 Dunleavy Jr. and Co. got it handed to them by dad and the Clips twice last week. Good news: Looks like Troy Murphy's back. Murph had 25 and 17 in loss to Wolves on Wed.

26 Charlotte (26)
3-10 Led by Keith Bogans, they have six players averaging double figures in scoring. Have won two of last four, but head out on rugged four-game West swing starting Mon.

27 New Jersey (27)
3-12 Scored 99 in win over Bobcats on Tue., the closest they've come to scoring 100 points in regulation this season. At 21.2 ppg, R-Jeff leads team in scoring by more than 10 points.

28 Atlanta (28)
2-12 Have lost seven straight games. How unlucky have the Hawks been? A Knick who had gone 1-11 from deep hits game-winning 3-pointer in OT on Wed. despite 'Toine's 36 and 13.

29 Chicago (30)
2-10 Nice win against the Lakers in their first home game since Nov. 13. Positive: Won two of last three. Negative: They give up 9.41 ppg more than they score (90.0 ppg).

30 New Orleans (29)
1-13 They have the worst record in the league and their All-Star center, Jamaal Magloire, will miss three months with a dislocated finger. Ouch! (On so many levels.)

http://www.nba.com/features/power_rankings_041202.html (http://)

ShoogarBear
12-02-2004, 06:41 PM
So far this is shaping up to be the best season in years.

Seattle, Clips, Magic, Cavs and MIGHTY WIZ all competitive out of the gates.

Slow, tortuous pain for Laker fans.

Not to mention a little silver-and-black juggernaut.

boutons
12-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Remember this time last year?

For weeks,the talking head buzz was "why can't NBA players shoot?" "Why are scores so low?" blah blah blah blah

This year, neither shooting nor scoring is any problem for half of the NBA.

A very different November from 2003.

ShoogarBear
12-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Yes, and of course nobody in the media is talking about it, because it would mean having to say something good about the NBA.

Manu20
12-02-2004, 06:54 PM
After starting slow Sacramento has pulled it together. If they stay healthy watch out for this team. That is a big "IF" though.

travis2
12-03-2004, 08:15 AM
11 L.A. Clippers (21)
10-6 They've won five consecutive games and no one's been larger than Brand, who has averaged 27.3 ppg in his last three games. Schedule's nice too: Next four are at home.

14 L.A. Lakers (13)
9-7 Brian Cook had a career night in Milwaukee on Tue. (25 pts., 11 rebs.), only the second time Kobe hasn't led the team in scoring this season. Losing to the Bulls on Wed. drops 'em a notch.

:lmao

Rummpd
12-03-2004, 01:09 PM
After starting slow Sacramento has pulled it together. If they stay healthy watch out for this team. That is a big "IF" though. Manu20

Good post = I believe Kings are for real and sense the urgency of staying in the hunt for a top seed and will be the Spurs opponent in WCF. Per post yesterday, may have as good as backcourt as anyone in league (all though Spurs do too), are still deep (ala Spurs) but not as before, but still have Stoj, Miller and the question mark Webber (Ala a fine front court and height ala Spurs) - if healthy they can knock off anyone in WC except Spurs.

MadDoc

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Good point about the rumblings a year ago about the shooting woes of the NBA. Thankfully this comes at just the right time to silence that "no three until the last five minutes" BS that there was talk of implementing.

ALVAREZ6
12-03-2004, 03:42 PM
2 Seattle (1)
14-3 Only No. 2 because the Suns have been tanning hides as of late. We can't flog this stat enough: .395. That is what the Sonics are shooting from behind the arc -- as a team!

Once Seattle's shooting goes cold, they are gonna be in problems...

No 3's = No W's for the Sonics
:hang

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-03-2004, 03:57 PM
That's very true Alvarez, but everyone on this board and every NBA commentator I've seen has been saying that since the first week and it still hasn't happened yet. I think a pact with the devil was made. Either that or it was Barry holding them back all of this time. I mean, who the hell would think that a team would lose a guy like him to free agency and improve their 3pt. shooting?

exstatic
12-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Kings are still good, but as for deep? Nope. They've lost almost all of that magic depth that took them so far in the last 3-4 years, and their front line players are getting older. Not a good combination of circumstances for them.

Manu20
12-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Kings are still good, but as for deep? Nope. They've lost almost all of that magic depth that took them so far in the last 3-4 years, and their front line players are getting older. Not a good combination of circumstances for them.

That is why I think the Kings got to stay healthy. The only good player off the bench is Bobby Jackson.

myhc
12-03-2004, 06:06 PM
That's very true Alvarez, but everyone on this board and every NBA commentator I've seen has been saying that since the first week and it still hasn't happened yet. I think a pact with the devil was made. Either that or it was Barry holding them back all of this time. I mean, who the hell would think that a team would lose a guy like him to free agency and improve their 3pt. shooting?

I agree. Everyobdy has been saying for weeks now the Sonics will fall and that they aren't for real. I think they've proved everybody wrong and while I don't think they'll be a #1 or #2 seed but they can compete with Minnesota for the division title.

Rummpd
12-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Mark it down within 2 weeks equilibrium in league.

Spurs who are the best team = 1.

Suns and Sonics both 3-5 maximum and will drop. Suns will most likely stay higher because of Nash but sooner or later they are going to cool. Still a dangerous team and the one I do not want the Spurs in 2nd round facing.

MadDoc