PDA

View Full Version : RC gives credit for Parker to Presti and other nice comments....

ploto
06-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Spurs already missing Presti

After 30 minutes, San Antonio Spurs general manager R.C. Buford knew he was going to offer Sam Presti an internship with the NBA team.

Buford hired the fresh-faced 22-year-old from Boston's Emerson College to work his summer basketball camp in Aspen, Colo., at the urging of a mutual friend. Presti, a former Division III shooting guard, seemed to have a natural instinct for working in basketball operations.

He never complained, came to work early and stayed late. He was easy to get along with and he didn't take himself too seriously, which is important when working for the Spurs — the men who run the franchise, coach Gregg Popovich and Buford, are constantly poking fun at each other and everyone else.

Every compliment is accompanied by an off-color wisecrack, and Presti was a natural fit.

"About a week after he was with us [in San Antonio], I made that decision that he was going to be a star," Buford said. "Just because he has a great combination of humility and intelligence and work ethic that you just knew he couldn't fail."

Eight years after their initial meeting, Buford says he's proud to call Presti, who was hired Thursday as Sonics GM, a friend and a foe.

"When 'Pop' started this and brought people in, he wanted us all to come in and have success within the team and then go out and have the opportunity to get ourselves advancement, find challenges and achieve personal success," Buford said. "Whether it's a downside of winning or not, it's also a dream of every one of us that our entire group continues to grow."

One particular story describes the bond between Buford and Presti.

According to Popovich, it was Buford who convinced him to draft Tony Parker in 2001. Buford, however, credits Presti.

Apparently, Parker performed poorly during an initial workout with the Spurs, and the coaching staff didn't think he would ever mature into a NBA guard.

"We got him in for a second workout, and in between that time Sam listened to the things that the coaches didn't like about Tony, and on his own went out and made an eight-minute tape that showed them what they didn't think he could do," Buford said. "I think he convinced [assistant] Hank [Egan] first, which is the hardest thing to convince an old curmudgeon like that. Once he got Hank on board, things kind of fell into place."

For Parker and for Presti. Six years later, Parker is a two-time All-Star, and Presti, 30, is the youngest general manager in the NBA.

"I expected Sam would be in this position one day," said Cleveland GM Danny Ferry, who played for the Spurs and was a member of the team's front office before taking the Cavaliers job in 2005. "He's organized, prepared, smart and focused. I think he's unbelievably talented."

When Ferry left San Antonio, he tried to poach Presti from the Spurs; San Antonio blocked the move by promoting Presti to assistant GM.

"Sam can look at things on a lot of different levels," Ferry said. "He's got a great feel for the draft and players. He has a good understanding for the numbers side of things. And he's a quality person."

They already miss him in San Antonio. For many Spurs — who have a 1-0 lead over Cleveland in the Finals — the championship series isn't the same without Presti on the team. He attended Thursday's game and is expected to be at the AT&T Center for Sunday's game, but it's not the same.

"We knew this day was coming because you just don't hold on to talent like that for very long," said Spurs guard Brent Barry, who spent five years with the Sonics before joining San Antonio in 2004. "I'm biased because I feel as if I know him and I know the team, and bringing in some fresh meat is probably a good thing.

"There's been some turnover in Seattle the last few years, and a lot of it has been in house. Now it's new ownership and they're thinking a little bit outside the box and doing something pretty creative. It's a calculated risk to bring in somebody like Sam who is so young, but he understands what success is. I think it's a really, really good hire."

During his seven years with the Spurs, Presti helped Popovich and Buford transform an aging Spurs team that won the title in 1999 into a younger, more athletic group that won the championship in 2003. More roster tweaking over the next two years led to the '05 title.

"Sam has got a really good understanding of what it takes to put together a team as far as its chemistry," Barry said. "Having the second pick in this year's draft and having an impact player like Kevin Durant more than likely, I think Sam is going to do a good job of evaluating talent to surround a guy like that. He's seen what they've done with Tim here.

"Just being around the success they've had here, it rubs off on you, and that's going to bode well for what the Sonics do in the future."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003740969_soni09.html

Bruno
06-09-2007, 03:51 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70627