PDA

View Full Version : 91 bulls - 07 cavs

td4mvp3
06-09-2007, 09:07 PM
timvp actually brought this up in another thread, but i just watched the espn classic game where chicago beat the lakers. a lot of the statements were eerily similar to what folks say now, that the power was in the west, that the bulls ran through the east but didn't get the credit they deserved. what was striking was how, even though the lakers had worthy and scott injured, they still scored nearly 100 points in that last game, hardly the defensive stalwarts folks brag about with the bulls. injuries really hit the lakers hard. i loved at the end when marv albert was saying folks were wondering if a michael jordan led team could ever go all the way.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 09:15 PM
If the Cavs can find three guys on their roster to score 66 points per game for the rest of the finals, I'll say congratulations to the future of the NBA on their upset of the Spurs.

baseline bum
06-09-2007, 09:36 PM
The 91 Bulls swept the two-time defending champion Pistons, had another first ballot Hall of Famer, and one of the top power forwards of the 90s. It's true about everyone saying Jordan would never win anything... I remember how much the media shit all over him after they dropped game 1 to LA that year, about how Jordan could never be Magic or Bird. :lol

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I remember where I was when I watched the lakers win game 1. It was Magic's last hurrah, and it was considered a huge upset. Most people figured they were just rolling off the momentum of beating the Blazers. Turns out they were right. The East in 1991 was fucking loaded, and any comparisons to this year's east are laughable. The Bulls beat Ewing's Knicks, Barkley and Mahorn's Sixers and destroyed the Bad Boys.

The_Worlds_finest
06-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Some guys on sirius were saying they are worried god is going to strike them with lightning for letting cavfan call in comparing james to jordan

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Nah, God's too busy rooting for the Spurs.

ClingingMars
06-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Nah, God's too busy rooting for the Spurs.

the nuns demand it!

-Mars

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 11:50 PM
When Larry Hughes turns into Scottie Pippen circa 1991 and Mike Brown is replaced by Phil Jackson I'll worry.

fuckespn
06-09-2007, 11:52 PM
When Larry Hughes turns into Scottie Pippen circa 1991 and Mike Brown is replaced by Phil Jackson I'll worry.

Phil Jackson is a sham of a coach

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Phil Jackson is a sham of a coach
Been a Spurs fan long? :lol

timvp
06-10-2007, 12:10 AM
I forgot the exact context of my comparison, but I think it was with a Laker fan trying to compare the '07 Cavs to the '04 Pistons ... which isn't even close to a good comparison. While the '91 Bulls > '07 Cavs, if the Cavs win the championship this season, you'd have to point to the '91 Bulls as the most similar circumstance.

The Lakers were an aging team with multiple championships under their belt. The Bulls had one All-Star that year and it was their first time in the Finals after beating their longtime rivals in Detroit. I remember going into that series that everyone was saying that no championship team could be built around a high scoring guard.

Of course there are a lot of differences but if the Cavs win, people would have to point to that Bulls team as the closest comparison.

Nikos
06-10-2007, 12:17 AM
I remember where I was when I watched the lakers win game 1. It was Magic's last hurrah, and it was considered a huge upset. Most people figured they were just rolling off the momentum of beating the Blazers. Turns out they were right. The East in 1991 was fucking loaded, and any comparisons to this year's east are laughable. The Bulls beat Ewing's Knicks, Barkley and Mahorn's Sixers and destroyed the Bad Boys.

Of course 2/3 teams were not very good. And the Pistons were on the decline. But it wouldn't have mattered anyway -- Chicago was an excellent team that year despite the weak competetion. Actually weren't a lot of key Lakers hurt that finals come to think of it? Worthy and Scott I think were badly injured in 2 of the games I beleive?

O-Factor
06-10-2007, 12:18 AM
If the Cavs can find three guys on their roster to score 66 points per game for the rest of the finals, I'll say congratulations to the future of the NBA on their upset of the Spurs.

Lol, that will NEVER happen....

mavs>spurs2
06-10-2007, 12:24 AM
91 bulls simliar to the CAVS???? :lmao

Lebron is good but he's no Jordan.

And where's Pippen? What about Rodman? Larry Hughes and Gooden?? LMAO

Obstructed_View
06-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Of course 2/3 teams were not very good. And the Pistons were on the decline. But it wouldn't have mattered anyway -- Chicago was an excellent team that year despite the weak competetion. Actually weren't a lot of key Lakers hurt that finals come to think of it? Worthy and Scott I think were badly injured in 2 of the games I beleive?
The Pistons were on the decline because Jordan and Pippen stopped allowing them to beat them to a pulp. In 1988 the Pistons beat the Bulls in 5. In '89 the Pistons them in 6. In '90 the Pistons beat them in 7. That was the last time anybody beat Jordan's Bulls.

If the Cavs win this year, I'd equate it to the Amazing Mets or Super Bowl III.

timvp
06-10-2007, 12:36 AM
What about Rodman?

More proof Mav Fan started watching basketball at 2004.

mavs>spurs2
06-10-2007, 12:39 AM
More proof Mav Fan started watching basketball at 2004.

Ok I was a few years off. And no I'm only 18 years old, ive only been watching since about 96'.

Avitus1
06-10-2007, 12:45 AM
What about Rodman?

Probably in 1995

Phenomanul
06-10-2007, 12:46 AM
I guess he meant to say Horace Grant....

Though I would add that having BJ Armstrong and Craig Hodges on that team really spaced out the floor for Jordan and Pippen to do their thing. The Cavs have no one nearly as consistent from the outside like those two were that year (Gibson's current hot-streak excluded).

Obstructed_View
06-10-2007, 12:53 AM
I guess he meant to say Horace Grant....

Though I would add that having BJ Armstrong and Craig Hodges on that team really spaced out the floor for Jordan and Pippen to do their thing. The Cavs have no one nearly as consistent from the outside like those two were that year (Gibson's current hot-streak excluded).
John Paxson was a decent shooter, too. He hit threes at a higher percentage than Hodges did, and he was a starter.

WalterBenitez
06-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Cavs needs a set of suport palyers ... that Boobie (?) good looks, Varejão coming from the bench looks good ... MJ got wise older that LBJ, what I don't like (up to know) from Lebron is he trends to push the game to himself, which is obvious in the Spurs' scheme ... He'll improve and improve and improve ... I see many finals ahead when Tony got older, adn grandfathers TD & Manu came from the bench.

We must have in mind LBJ is just 22!!!