PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's Orlando decision

SpursFanFirst
06-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Whew!
Did anyone see this in today's Dime?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070610

I wonder what ultimately made his decision. Whatever is was, I'm glad he stayed! :spin

Cover your eyes, Orlando.

We've got more this close heartbreak for you.

Tim Duncan unexpectedly announced on the eve of Game 2 that his decision in 2000 to spurn free-agent riches from the Magic to stay with the Spurs "was probably a lot closer decision than people even think or even know."

Gulp.

"It's worked out the right way, to say the least, and I can't even go through all the factors that went into making the final decisions to come back," Duncan said.

So for those of you in the Magic Kingdom who are brave enough to keep score ...

Orlando's nine-figure contract offer to Shaquille O'Neal wasn't enough to convince Shaq to stay in 1996 ... and Duncan was apparently more serious about joining Grant Hill four summers later than the basketball world ever realized ... and Billy Donovan just set a land-speed record for backing out of the lucrative coaching agreement that had folks in Central Florida believing that their string of free-agent miseries -- Shaq, Duncan, Hill and Tracy McGrady are the most prominent four -- had finally been broken.

-- Marc Stein, in San Antonio

duncan228
06-09-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm glad he stayed too.

Why is the press so concerned about the past? In all the media availability sessions so far some reporter has asked Duncan about Orlando and about the Kidd/Parker issue. They asked Parker about the Kidd issue also.

Is there nothing better to ask? Have they run out of questions regarding this year's Finals already?

I thought I was sick of LeBron hype. But at least that's current!

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I'd still be a Spurs fan, and I'd be booing Duncan. I've been booing Barry Bonds since he left the Pirates.

SpursFanFirst
06-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm glad he stayed too.

Why is the press so concerned about the past? In all the media availability sessions so far some reporter has asked Duncan about Orlando and about the Kidd/Parker issue. They asked Parker about the Kidd issue also.

Is there nothing better to ask? Have they run out of questions regarding this year's Finals already?

I don't know why they asked about this now either...but now that it's been brought up, I am curious. I wonder if Robinson swayed him to stay.

AlamoSpursFan
06-09-2007, 10:04 PM
They're just looking for Spurs related feature material to use when the series shifts back to Cleveland.

:lol

ClingingMars
06-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I'd still be a Spurs fan, and I'd be booing Duncan. I've been booing Barry Bonds since he left the Pirates.

I've been booing Barry Bonds since his head expanded.

-Mars

ducks
06-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Whew!
Did anyone see this in today's Dime?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070610

I wonder what ultimately made his decision. Whatever is was, I'm glad he stayed! :spin

Cover your eyes, Orlando.

We've got more this close heartbreak for you.

Tim Duncan unexpectedly announced on the eve of Game 2 that his decision in 2000 to spurn free-agent riches from the Magic to stay with the Spurs "was probably a lot closer decision than people even think or even know."

Gulp.

"It's worked out the right way, to say the least, and I can't even go through all the factors that went into making the final decisions to come back," Duncan said.

So for those of you in the Magic Kingdom who are brave enough to keep score ...

Orlando's nine-figure contract offer to Shaquille O'Neal wasn't enough to convince Shaq to stay in 1996 ... and Duncan was apparently more serious about joining Grant Hill four summers later than the basketball world ever realized ... and Billy Donovan just set a land-speed record for backing out of the lucrative coaching agreement that had folks in Central Florida believing that their string of free-agent miseries -- Shaq, Duncan, Hill and Tracy McGrady are the most prominent four -- had finally been broken.

-- Marc Stein, in San Antonio

david came to the rescue

david can get superstars to sign with the team duncan can not

duncan228
06-09-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't know why they asked about this now either...but now that it's been brought up, I am curious. I wonder if Robinson swayed him to stay.

Duncan wasn't specific in the interview, he said it was "the people, the organization" that led him to stay.

I've read different things over the years, one of which was that Robinson played a big role in helping him decide.

I think it was a combination of all of it. Duncan fits the Spurs, or maybe the Spurs fit him. Pop has been his only pro coach, it's been said many times they get along beautifully. I think Duncan had begun to build his life in SA by the time Orlando came calling, it would make sense that "riches" wouldn't sway him if he was happy there.

All in all it worked out well for Duncan, the Spurs, and the fans.

I just don't understand why they're asking now. I don't remember them asking in the '05 run.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I've been booing Barry Bonds since his head expanded.

-Mars
Literally or figuratively? Just so I know the timeline.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
The media is searching for controversy to spice up this series so they have to go back 7 years when TD was a free agent.

AlamoSpursFan
06-09-2007, 10:27 PM
"Free-agent riches"?

Holt Cat's not getting his services for minimum wage.

Wasn't the most Orlando could offer something like 10% over what he was getting?

It's not like they broke open Fort Knox and he said no thanks...

duncan228
06-09-2007, 10:27 PM
The media is searching for controversy to spice up this series so they have to go back 7 years when he was a free agent.

:lol

He really needs some street cred.
Getting a ref tossed wasn't enough.

I love they way he handles the press though. A simple "Let's just leave it at that" shuts them all up.

Summers
06-09-2007, 10:30 PM
I think it was the cold cuts.

pjjrfan
06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
According to Buck Harvey, it was the Magic's refusal to let Tim's girlfriend, now wife, Amy ride with him on the team plane that had a lot to do with his final decision. Something Pop never had a problem with either Tim or any of the players. I remember Buck wrote an article about it, don't know how much truth there is in it. But it's something that points to the laid back style that Pop has about team rules off the court. There is no laid back in his rules about playing the game on the court.

fuckespn
06-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Didn't David just sit him down and convince him to stay basically?

duncan228
06-09-2007, 10:49 PM
But it's something that points to the laid back style that Pop has about team rules off the court. There is no laid back in his rules about playing the game on the court.

I don't think it's "laid back" as much as "family first."
I've always understood the entire Spurs organization has a "family" feel to it. For a player that's on the road half his season it has to be nice to have your family with you (if you want them with you!)

ClingingMars
06-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Literally or figuratively? Just so I know the timeline.

Since I noticed it...around 02, 03

-Mars

duncan228
06-09-2007, 10:50 PM

It would appear that Robinson was part but not all of it.

SpursFanFirst
06-09-2007, 10:51 PM
According to Buck Harvey, it was the Magic's refusal to let Tim's girlfriend, now wife, Amy ride with him on the team plane that had a lot to do with his final decision. Something Pop never had a problem with either Tim or any of the players. I remember Buck wrote an article about it, don't know how much truth there is in it. But it's something that points to the laid back style that Pop has about team rules off the court. There is no laid back in his rules about playing the game on the court.

I've never actually heard that, but, if that's true, it says a lot about his relationship with her. That's cool.

BlackFlagg
06-09-2007, 10:52 PM

Could be. It's like any other job: Morale = Productivity

Despot
06-09-2007, 10:53 PM
He's just trying to butter up Dwight Howard.

'08 plan just officially kicked off.

Summers
06-09-2007, 11:04 PM

Was that actually written? I thought that was just a rumor by disgruntled Magic fans to make it seem like it was Amy's fault he didn't move.

dbreiden83080
06-09-2007, 11:05 PM
He was certainly thinking about it can't blame him for that. Tim is never leaving SA now though he and POP are like father and Son and this team will be contenders for at least another 3 years.

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Will Howard be unrestricted in '08?

:stirpot:

timvp
06-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Event #24,568 where David Robinson saved the franchise.

ClingingMars
06-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Event #24,568 where David Robinson saved the franchise.

Might as well give him 50% share

-Mars

dbreiden83080
06-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Might as well give him 50% share

-Mars

David saved the franchise and then Timmy came along and made them one of the great franchises in all of sports.

makedamnsure
06-09-2007, 11:41 PM
do you remember those black and hot pink posters that HEB gave out that said WE LOVE TIM on them??? ohhh mannn I remember those days. places had flags that said WE LOVE TIM too...good times

Despot
06-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Will Howard be unrestricted in '08?

:stirpot:

Howard has a qualifying offer in 08-09, so does that make him restricted?

Marcus Bryant
06-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Howard has a qualifying offer in 08-09, so does that make him restricted?

If Orlando makes it, yes.

Despot
06-09-2007, 11:58 PM
If Orlando makes it, yes.

Well, it is obvious that they would, if they can't agree on a contract.

I can't see the Spurs working out a sign and trade, so I guess that takes him off the board.

Marcus Bryant
06-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Anyways, it would take something catastrophic for the Spurs to lose TD at this point. Obviously he would expect them to show a commitment to winning championships from this point forward, but the Spurs have the pieces in place, from the coaching staff to having established 2nd and 3rd stars and a proven track record. Maybe I'm wrong and he feels like he's proven everything he could in SA and would like the challenge of winning with another team for his legacy, but that doesn't seem like him. If he was to leave SA, that would've happened 7 years ago.

sheriee84
06-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Pop had asked David to go to the VI's, from his vacation in Hawaii, and try and convince TD to stay.... Anyways.... TD said that David had put on this hour long speech about why he should stay, and after it was over TD said "David, David, David.... You had me from hello" and gave david a hug.... He said over all that was why he decided to stay...

SpursFanFirst
06-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Pop had asked David to go to the VI's, from his vacation in Hawaii, and try and convince TD to stay.... Anyways.... TD said that David had put on this hour long speech about why he should stay, and after it was over TD said "David, David, David.... You had me from hello" and gave david a hug.... He said over all that was why he decided to stay...

Where did you get this?

Dro210
06-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm glad he stayed too.

Because the national media is just now figuring out that all these things happened...... Come on now.... You know they don't pay attention to the Spurs!

SRJ
06-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Anyways.... TD said that David had put on this hour long speech about why he should stay, and after it was over TD said "David, David, David.... You had me from hello"

:lol Damn, that was funny!

texasqb2
06-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Was that actually written? I thought that was just a rumor by disgruntled Magic fans to make it seem like it was Amy's fault he didn't move.

I remember Doc Rivers waiting in a limo of a bunch of girls in bikinis picking him up and everyone said they lost Timmy right there. I don't know how much truth there is to that and wasn't it Shaq who offered to rent his house out to Tim just to get him out of the West?

texasqb2
06-10-2007, 04:41 PM
But still Orlando was getting excited about possibly adding Duncan, Hill, and McGrady that offseason....I would have definitely been scared

mrcoon29
06-10-2007, 05:00 PM
:clap *sniffles* Just beautiful. DRob certainly is da man!

The Buck Harvery reference I believe is correct - it's been a few years but I do believe he wrote this in his column.

Doc with hookers for Timmy? :rollin Oh, man. I can certainly imagine Timmy's face if that had happened.

blaze89
06-10-2007, 05:09 PM

Hand me a tissue. I wanna cry.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Tim should demand a trade after this season if they don't bring Scola