PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on having a Garage Sale

RashoFan
06-09-2007, 10:42 PM
I am thinking about having a Garage Sale because I will be moving in a couple of months. I live at an apt complex and I wanted advice about having a G.S.
Can I go somewhere to have a G.S. ? Can I have it at an apt complex? Is anyone going to have a G.S. soon and may I sell my stuff there? What have y'all done in the past? Thanks for any helpful advice!
RF

SpursWoman
06-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Wherever you end up having it, make sure you're absolutely ready to go before the sun comes up. We had a big one before we moved and ended up with people there with flashlights.

trueD
06-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah, Friday and Saturday early mornings are the best time to sell.

Also very important is putting up legible, simple, large lettered signs from major cross streets.

leemajors
06-10-2007, 12:34 AM
i know in austin you can get ticketed without it being registered with the city. outside of that, it's always a good idea to put an ad in the classifieds about it. people actively check the garage sale classifieds to find out what's there beforehand.

mrsmaalox
06-10-2007, 12:58 AM
i know in austin you can get ticketed without it being registered with the city. outside of that, it's always a good idea to put an ad in the classifieds about it. people actively check the garage sale classifieds to find out what's there beforehand.
Here in SA you need a permit too; a pretty expensive one as I recall.

kris
06-10-2007, 04:38 AM
Just give 90% of it to Goodwill and keep your more valuable stuff (10%) to sell through ebay or what have you.

Garage sells are so inefficient nowadays they are almost obsolete.

This plan saves you:

time
headache on where/how to have GS
haggling
on tax deduction
and money on permit at the very least

kris
06-10-2007, 04:39 AM
As I've given away some of my experience in garage sales, let me just say you don't want to get involved in the game. It's a vicious cycle that's hard to break.

AlamoSpursFan
06-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Never spread your stuff out so far that you can't keep an eye on everything. This might sound racist, but it is sound advice, because you will have several pickups show up with Mexico license plates and apparently "Garage Sale" translates to "load as much crap as you think you can get away with and only pay $5" in Spanish. Happened several times at our last (and I DO mean LAST) GS. They'll pick up a few trinkets and pay you for them and on the way out they'll start loading up whatever large items happen to be near where they parked. Sneaky little bastages don't act like they're stealing the stuff either. One guy actually asked me to help him load a $250 clothes rack errrr treadmill that the ex was selling for $25 after I watched him give her $5 for some clothes and old vhs tapes. Caught 2 others trying to gank some chairs and a bike. Also with Mexico plates. Watch your stuff, that's all I'm sayin'...

And back then the permits were $10 and could be bought at HEB. I think they're good for 3 days. Or were. It's been like 5 years. Who knows what changes the Shitty Clowncil has made in the ordinance since then.

Sunshine
06-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I THINK the permits are now $25 and can be purchased at HEB or online through the City of San Antonio website.

As far as having it at your apartment complex, you need to check with management. My complex has a yearly tennant garage sale and doesn't allow anything on your own. Your best bet might be finding someone who's having a GS and selling your stuff with them, placing an add for the big ticket items and maybe even looking at renting space at a flea market for a weekend and set your stuff out there.

SpursWoman
06-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Here in SA you need a permit too; a pretty expensive one as I recall.

IIRC, I think it was only $12 or $16.

mrsmaalox
06-10-2007, 09:34 AM
IIRC, I think it was only $12 or $16.
I don't really remember, but I think it was just too much to pay for all the hassle a garage sale is.

ploto
06-10-2007, 01:10 PM
A lot of nice subdivisions have a subdivision wide garage sale day- so a good idea is to find someone you know who will let you sell your stuff at their house during one of those.

RashoFan
06-10-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't have alot of stuff to sell off, so it seems the best option is to see if a friend is having a garage sale and see if I can sell stuff there. Or go to local pawn shop and offload some stuff there and donate the leftovers to Good Will.

RashoFan
06-10-2007, 01:53 PM
So Anyone having a garage sale soon??? :)

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-10-2007, 01:58 PM
If it's not a whole lot, maybe try Craigslist to sell or Freecycle to give away.