PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Bruce & Yardley

rwb
06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Bruce Bowen was a tiny bit late for the Spurs' morning film session on Saturday. He had a tiny excuse.

"I'm a proud papa again," Bowen announced after getting to the AT&T Center to practice for Game 2 of the NBA finals.

Bowen's wife, Yardley, gave birth to the couple's second son, a 6-pound, 11-ounce baby boy named Ozmel. The newest member of the Bowen team -- he has a nearly 2-year-old son named Ojani -- arrived at 9:19 a.m.

"My wife is doing well and the baby is well," said Bowen, who was in the delivery room for the birth. "What a gift during quite a time."

The Spurs last won the NBA title in 2005, and Ojani Bowen was born a few months later. Bowen is hoping the arrival of his second son means another championship is on the way for San Antonio.

"I hope that's prophetic," he said.

RashoFan
06-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Congrats to the Bowen Family on their newest addition!

duncan228
06-09-2007, 10:54 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70629

rwb
06-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Sorry, didn't see that one. I was wondering why no one had said anything yet :oops

duncan228
06-10-2007, 12:21 AM
That's why I gave it to you. You can catch everyone's comments!

milkyway21
06-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Congratulations to Bruce & Yardley for new Baby Ozmel :baby

it means = :bling :bling

Give Yardley Bowen credit. Just like her husband, she does her work early.
At 9:19 a.m. Saturday, Yardley gave birth to Ozmel, a healthy 6-pound, 11-ounce boy. According to delivery room sources, he didn't knee a single nurse in the crotch.

advertisement

"But afterward he got a little irritated," Bruce Bowen said. "Then he started kicking."

Five minutes old and already following in his father's flailing Nikes. Ozmel also shares his dad's timing: By arriving early, he ensured Bowen will be able to work tonight against the Cleveland Cavaliers when the NBA Finals resume at the AT&T Center.

"I was a little concerned, to be honest," Michael Finley said. "But his wife pulled it out. She got that thing out and she took one for the team, literally. She might be the MVP.

"I'm going to go thank his wife. I'm going to thank the little one."

Finley has reason to be grateful. If Bowen were unable to play tonight, Finley might have to open the game guarding LeBron James. That doesn't figure to be an enjoyable task, considering James will be looking to improve upon his 14-point, six-turnover performance in the Spurs' series-opening victory.

"I've done a great job of preparing myself from one game to another," James said. "I definitely feel like it's going to be a bounce-back game for me tomorrow."

Bowen, as usual, will be charged with trying to prevent that.

The Spurs defended James as a team in the opener, clogging the lane when he tried to penetrate and blitzing Tim Duncan or another big man at him on pick-and-rolls. But Bowen provided the initial line of defense by trying to stay in front of James and shielding him when the Cavaliers tried to get the ball back in his hands.

For Bowen, that's just another night's work. Runner-up for NBA Defensive Player of the Year each of the past three seasons, he has guarded Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson, Steve Nash, Shawn Marion, Deron Williams and now James since the start of the playoffs.

Bowen has been successful on some nights and not so on others. What has remained the same, however, is his approach.

"Never give up," he said. "I think that's the whole key to my defense is to try to stay in each and every play.

"Some nights you're going to do a great job; some nights they're going to do a great job. But, for me, the telling situation is, am I still putting a hand up on each shot? When they have 40 points, am I still as aggressive trying to defend them as I was in the first quarter?"

The NBA hasn't made Bowen's job or that of any other perimeter defender any easier in recent years. Hand-checking and essentially any other form of contact are forbidden.

To counter, Bowen tries to show his hands and slide his feet quicker. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich often praises him for "doing his work early" by beating his man to specific spots on the floor. Bowen also likes to keep enough space between him and whomever he's guarding because he thinks it works to the offensive player's advantage to be able to feel his body.

Ray Allen would probably laugh at that. He's one of more than a handful of players to accuse Bowen of playing dirty, whether it be stepping under a shooter or using his knee to clear space, as he did in the second round when he leveled Nash with a shot to the groin.

Bowen now seems amused by the accusations. After recently answering a question on whether James deserved to be labeled the next Michael Jordan, Bowen was asked if he knew of a player who could be called the next Bruce Bowen.

"I don't think anybody wants that title," he said. "It's not a welcome title in this league."

That Bowen can stay close enough to frustrate his opponents says something in itself. He will celebrate his 36th birthday on Thursday, an age when many of his peers have retired to the tee box. Yet tonight Bowen will be asked to guard someone nearly 14 years younger and at least 50 pounds heavier.

"I sit by him on the plane and he ain't the best eater in the world, either," Robert Horry said. "It's just that he's got the genetics for it. :lol

"You know how LeBron has the genetics to be all big, fast and strong and look like he's 30? (Bowen) has the genetics to just stay slim, trim and fit."

Or, as Spurs assistant coach Mike Budenholzer said, "He's probably going to be one of those grandpas that's going to be skinny and healthy and strong."

For now, Bowen is content to be a dad. The Bowens' first son, Ojani, was born shortly after the Spurs won the 2005 championship.

Ozmel, who also was given a Cuban name in honor of Yardley's heritage, wasn't expected to arrive until after the Finals. But when it became evident he wouldn't wait that long, the Bowens decided to induce labor Friday night.

Yardley already had told Bowen she wanted him to play if she went into labor the day of a game. Including the playoffs, Bowen has played in 533 consecutive games for the Spurs.

"I was totally prepared not to be at the game," Bowen said. "But if she OKs it, then it's OK.

"To all the single men who think you run things right now, once you get married you realize that it's not you that runs things. It's definitely the wife."

Bowen arrived at the AT&T Center on Saturday morning for the second half of the team's film session. "Just after they finished talking about everything I had done wrong," he said. "So it was good timing."

James was surprised to learn Bowen's wife was expecting. His girlfriend, Savannah Brinson, is expected to give birth to their second child any day.

"She's just going to play it by ear," James said. "Whatever happens, happens. We're very excited by it and we can't wait."

Bowen, who was wearing a hospital ID bracelet around his right wrist at practice, was hopeful Yardley and Ozmel would be released before this afternoon. Cleveland general manager Danny Ferry preferred Bowen spend Saturday night with the newest addition to his family . :lmao (NO WAY!)

"And I hope," Ferry said, "Bruce will be tired as hell." :lol

milkyway21
06-10-2007, 01:45 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/playoffs_2007.html

interview on Bruce Bowen is hilarious. He looks like he hasn't get enough sleep though. now I'm scared LeBron might score 50 on him tonight :lol

Got2bHilikus
06-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Congrats Bruce & Yardley

SRJ
06-10-2007, 06:26 AM
I fought Ozmel toward the very end of Final Fantasy IX. Tough, tough battle.

WalterBenitez
06-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Congrats Mr and Mrs Bowen ...

Is the kid a good defender?

Testing
06-10-2007, 10:09 AM
"I was a little concerned, to be honest," Michael Finley said. "But his wife pulled it out. She got that thing out and she took one for the team, literally. She might be the MVP.

"I'm going to go thank his wife. I'm going to thank the little one."

Finley has reason to be grateful. If Bowen were unable to play tonight, Finley might have to open the game guarding LeBron James.

:lol who knew finley had a sense of humor?

angel_luv
06-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Oh my gosh! How wonderful! :) :)
And what a considerate baby- coming in between games and everything.

Congrats to the Bowens!

Cavaliers Rule
06-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Congrats to the Bowen family. Pop made me laugh with his talk to the team about two miracles! He is probably the best Coach in the League!!!