PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Marion To the Celtics For the #5 Overall Pick?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Climbers reach top step

By Shira Springer | June 10, 2007

Trade action could pick up

At least one NBA executive figures the Celtics will trade the No. 5 pick before the draft rolls around June 28, and he sees Phoenix as a prospective partner. The Suns are looking to dump salary and picks. New Phoenix president of basketball operations and general manager Steve Kerr has the No. 24, No. 29, and No. 59 picks. One of the scenarios raised by the executive had Shawn Marion and the $33.6 million and two years remaining on his contract headed to Boston for the No. 5 pick and Theo Ratliff, who has one year remaining worth $11.7 million. The Celtics would throw in another player or two with one year left to make the money work -- say, Delonte West ($1.9 million), Tony Allen ($1.9 million), or even Sebastian Telfair ($2.6 million). One way or the other, Celtics assistant executive director of basketball operations Leo Papile predicts a lot of deal-making in the days and hours preceding the draft, because there are teams with too many picks and teams with no picks. Look for an organization like Indiana, without any picks, to try to deal its way into the mix.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2007/06/10/climbers_reach_top_step/?page=4

kontrolheat
06-10-2007, 08:42 PM
there was also some talk about them trading paul perice to the pistons

ABDENOUR POWER
06-10-2007, 09:01 PM
there was also some talk about them trading paul perice to the pistons

Where? I haven't seen anything like that outside of Pistons fans daydreams.

BradLohaus
06-11-2007, 12:07 AM
That would be a great trade for Phx and a horrible trade for the Celtics. We should all be hoping this doesn't happen.

K-State Spur
06-11-2007, 12:21 AM
In the Suns system, Marion is a 20/10 type player. In any other system, he's a 15/7 guy. Now, maybe that's worth the #5 pick and maybe it's not, but Ainge is probably dumb enough to think he can just take the numbers that Marion puts up in D'Antoni's system and directly insert them to Doc's.

AFBlue
06-11-2007, 12:45 AM
In the Suns system, Marion is a 20/10 type player. In any other system, he's a 15/7 guy. Now, maybe that's worth the #5 pick and maybe it's not, but Ainge is probably dumb enough to think he can just take the numbers that Marion puts up in D'Antoni's system and directly insert them to Doc's.

Marion's 15 and 7 are better than anything they can get at #5 for sure. I'm not sure if it's best for the long term, because so many teams are so much better...but it puts them closer to being a contender now.

I understand the deal from the Suns' end regarding cap relief, but I'm not sure I get adding another pick....that would give them 3 in the first round. D'Antoni already uses only a 7 or 8 man rotation and three rookies would be unlikely to play much if at all. Who would they target at 5?

ShoogarBear
06-11-2007, 01:23 AM
In the Suns system, Marion is a 20/10 type player. In any other system, he's a 15/7 guy. Uh, Marion's points/rebounds in years without D'Antoni and Nash:

10.2/6.5, 17.3/10.7, 19.1/9.9, 21.2/9.5, 19.0/9.3.

He's not as good as he probably thinks, but he's an ultimate complementary player.

Johnny RIngo
06-11-2007, 01:30 AM
Looks like the Suns implosion is happening earlier than I thought. Guess the excuse next year will be "We woulda won if we still had Matrix"

lmao

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2007, 01:40 AM
the suns did well without amare in 05/06...wonder how they go without marion in 07/08

itzsoweezee
06-11-2007, 01:44 AM
suns are stupid if they do this. they definitely aren't winning next year if they trade marion for a rookie (the #5 pick). and i don't think their window is going to be open any longer than a year.

SRJ
06-11-2007, 02:09 AM
The Celtics should ask themselves this question: Does Shawn Marion fit in with our long-term plan of growing a young team?

The next question they should ask: How old is he?

Followed by:

How many seasons has he played?
How many minutes has he played?

The answers to these are: No, 29, 8, nearly 20000.

Marion is a good catch for a veteran team looking for a missing piece to a championship, not so much for a young team. By the time the Celtics get good, Marion will be past his best and the Celtics will be missing the very depth they gave away to get him.

judaspriestess
06-11-2007, 02:17 AM
sorry Marion is not worth a #5 pick. thats crazy

dg7md
06-11-2007, 03:30 AM
I'd do it. Celtics need help NOW. Their core is already young...

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2007, 07:52 AM
celtics would do it if they wanna win now, too bad they got no fuckn bench.

naico
06-11-2007, 08:10 AM
That would be a great trade for Phx and a horrible trade for the Celtics. We should all be hoping this doesn't happen.

exactly! danny ainge strikes again!!
hey why not offer cupcakes to get jefferson!

naico
06-11-2007, 08:12 AM
its not only the nr. 5 pick..Suns would have some cap space after next year..

AFBlue
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
The Celtics should ask themselves this question: Does Shawn Marion fit in with our long-term plan of growing a young team?

The next question they should ask: How old is he?

Followed by:

How many seasons has he played?
How many minutes has he played?

The answers to these are: No, 29, 8, nearly 20000.

Marion is a good catch for a veteran team looking for a missing piece to a championship, not so much for a young team. By the time the Celtics get good, Marion will be past his best and the Celtics will be missing the very depth they gave away to get him.

This is assuming that you have a team and front office commited to growing its young prospects...which is NOT the case. Right now the Celtics have a bad mixture of extremely raw, but talented young guys and extremely overpriced underacheiving veterans.

What this trade would do is announce that the Celtics are not "rebuilding" or "building for the future" and are intent on building a team that can contend now. If they can mesh veterans Paul Pierce and Shawn Marion with young talents Delonte West and Al Jefferson this can be a competitive team. What they need to do now is work on filling out that roster with the right, and APPROPRIATELY PAID, role players.

Do I think they would be able to contend after adding a guy like Shawn Marion? Probably not...but it's a start in at least one direction.

Bottom Line: They need to crap or get off the pot. This would be a move in either direction...just not sure whether it's crap or not.

O-Factor
06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Marion is a great role player, but he will never be a number 1 option on a team. He can't create his own shot. He has Joe Johnson syndrome.

Obstructed_View
06-11-2007, 02:12 PM
He has Shoot Like a Third Grader syndrome. It's hard to create your own shot when you have to clear five feet of space in front of you.

ATRAIN
06-11-2007, 02:41 PM
He has Shoot Like a Third Grader syndrome. It's hard to create your own shot when you have to clear five feet of space in front of you.

I hate his shot soooooooooo much. He will be unloaded in the off season and I would be surprised other wise. Its simple, they can't afford him and he is WAYYY overpriced.

dg7md
06-11-2007, 05:26 PM

Childress has that shot as well.

~~Ice Man 2000~~
06-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Marion was getting nearly 20/10 before Nash.
THat would be a great deal for boston. Nothing is promised from a number 5 pick.

B and P Cats
06-12-2007, 03:02 AM
They have been threatening to trade Marion for about three years now. I don't get it. I don't care what the numbers say or don't. They need him in PHX. I guess it wouldn't be the first stupid move.

Supergirl
06-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Oh, man, I would be so happy for the C's if they pulled this off. They shouldn't give up Delonte West, Al Jefferson, or Paul Pierce. Other than that - they can have anyone they want for Shawn Marion, including the #5 pick.

Marion, Pierce, Jefferson, West would be good enough to get them into the playoffs, maybe even make it out of the first and/or second round.