td4mvp3
06-11-2007, 02:01 AM
great line

Spurs spectacular, but Finals can't compete with 'The Sopranos'

June 11, 2007
By Tony Mejia
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer
Tell Tony your opinion!

SAN ANTONIO -- For starters, the NBA Finals should not be this easy. Nothing harboring major consequences is. Marriage isn't easy. Work is difficult. Friendships, relationships, whatever.

Things are just too easy for coach Gregg Popovich and the dynamic Spurs. (AP)
Do the Spurs even deserve a ring after this?

I guess. They did beat Phoenix.

Honestly, I heard Spurs fans bemoaning the fact that this series isn't closer. That leads me to believe that everybody wanted to see a more competitive series, but the fact of the matter is that this has become the most unwatchable NBA Finals in league history. Seriously. The Spurs won Game 2, 103-92, and the phrase "It wasn't as close as the score indicates" has never applied more.

If you read my columns on a regular basis, you understand I do my best to tell it like it is. I have told you for months that the Spurs will win this season's championship. If it wasn't for Manu Ginobili's ridiculous foul in Game 7 of last year's Western Conference semifinals, this should be San Antonio's third consecutive championship. Four in five years. Dynasty, etc.

The Spurs are great. There's a reason purists are chirping up and comparing this squad to Michael Jordan's Bulls teams. However, as good as this team is, the Cavs should be ashamed of themselves.

This isn't even LeBron James' fault. If you want to blame him, you may as well blame coffee for getting cold when it's left out, or milk expiring after its due date. You see my point? My mother, God bless her, has the perfect analogy for this series. I have a big dog, and I have a little cat. How do you expect the cat to compete? She can hiss all she wants, but if my dog wants, she can squash her. This has become the most anti-climactic championship series in recent memory, across all sports.

Mike Brown? People are going to call him an awful coach, but please, have some perspective. He's won 50 games two years in a row with the monstrosity you see here.

LeBron, call him a choker, but he's gotten the most out of a non-existent supporting cast. Clown him for air-balling a free throw, but really, could he have done anything to prevent this? No way.

So, here's what I'm going to tell you. Some of you fools call me a Spurs fan apologist, whatever. Little do you know I grew up in New York rooting for the now-hapless Knicks. I couldn't care less about this power that has come to fruition in south Texas. That said, greatness needs to be recognized. Lauded, applauded, all of that.

There's something to be said over a team that makes another champion, no matter how weak they're perceived to be, look this bad. Forget the final score. This was a 25-point blowout, and the irony is that could be seen right off the bat. In the opening minute of the game, with the score 2-2, I turned to my esteemed colleague Mike Freeman and said, "Something doesn't look right with Cleveland. I have a feeling they're going to lose by 25."

The scored at the half was 58-33.

What more do you want to see? Are the naysayers buying Tony Parker as NBA Finals MVP now? Even Cleveland's late run was laughable. It was a feeble attempt to gain some sort of momentum from a game that should have destroyed its psyche. Can the Cavs win a game at home? Sure. They will. In fact, like Utah did in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals, I would wager that the Spurs do allow Cleveland to make this somewhat of a series. However, did you pull yourself away from The Sopranos long enough to appreciate what the Spurs was able to do?

They took a Cavs squad who had gotten their feet wet on Thursday completely away from what they wanted to do and made them look feeble. San Antonio was so good it made its own crowd a non-factor. Everyone was bored. You may want to say that Spurs fans are spoiled, but how much can you cheer when a game is over by the midway point of the opening half?

Robert Horry had five blocks. The law firm of Parker, Duncan and Ginobili got off again, combining for 78 of San Antonio's 103 points. By the time it was all over, the Cavs had been tarnished as one of the worst teams ever to make an NBA Finals, which only deflects credit from San Antonio being one of the best.

"I think we relaxed a little bit," Horry said of Cleveland's late run. "We just kept playing hard and doing what we do. Defensively we just tried to clog the paint. We tried to contest all shots and keep those guys from getting inside."

Yawn.

San Antonio may be boring as far as quotes go, but where it matters most, on the floor, the franchise is the best professional sports has offered in the last 20 years. The New York Yankees spend money to be successful. San Francisco and Dallas become football powerhouses based on their personnel, but ultimately that died out. The Spurs have sustained their greatness. They've done it in a sport where parity is supposed to reign.

But these Spurs are not an equal to anyone. They're making the Cavaliers look like a joke. They're making the Eastern Conference look like a joke. Don't you dare make the mistake of saying that this series is similar to what Miami did to Dallas last season. Different teams. Different series.

Recognize what you're seeing. If you can get over yourself, appreciate that you're seeing the only dynasty going. Respect that San Antonio has taken one of the greatest individual talents in NBA history, a 22-year-old who is recognized as special, and made him a non-factor. James had 25 points, seven rebounds and six assists, and all those numbers were inconsequential.

Understand that "Here comes Manu!" off the bench is absolutely, positively absurd. What former All-Star comes off the bench in this league?

The Cavs are up against the greatest franchise in professional sports, and they're not handling it well. Jump all over James if you want, but to do so would be asinine. To blame him is akin to saying that Moses walked on water so he should, too.

You can't win a series like this by yourself. Bottom line, you can't beat San Antonio. The best part about it? They understand -- heck, overstand -- that you loathe them and find them boring. They don't care. Rings are what they care about. By this time next week, you'll be reading about what they've done to earn them. Count on it.

dbreiden83080
06-11-2007, 02:05 AM
You know what is funny if Jordan's Bulls did this tonight the media would be kissing his ass call it the best thing in the history of Sports.

rayray2k8
06-11-2007, 02:13 AM
San Antonio was so good it made its own crowd a non-factor. Everyone was bored. You may want to say that Spurs fans are spoiled, but how much can you cheer when a game is over by the midway point of the opening half?

I agree with this.

But I get what this guy was saying, hell even I got tired of seeing the spurs kick the cavs asses.
Although Im starting to notice that most journalist are praising the spurs for their success. Which is nice for a change.

judaspriestess
06-11-2007, 02:13 AM
I'm still not getting the boring stigma. Spurs are great to watch.
Even Mike Brown gives the Spurs great respect, He talks at the post game interviews like its over already.

milkyway21
06-11-2007, 02:19 AM
Mr. Tony Mejia wait til the Spurs lose a game in Cleveland. The fans will be frantic and will even tell who to trade next season... :D

But haven't you noticed the Coyote? He was all over the place. You must love him. No?:lol

ChumpDumper
06-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Moses walked on water?

Fernando TD21
06-11-2007, 04:04 AM
I saw this similar article on Yahoo Sports:

Don't call it a comeback
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
June 10, 2007

SAN ANTONIO – The Cleveland Cavaliers will try to arm themselves with the fool's gold of the final minutes, selling themselves a false prophecy that they solved something late on Sunday night. Eventually, the Hawks would've made a run on the San Antonio Spurs. The Cavs are going down in four games, and they're going down as one of the worst teams to ever reach the NBA finals.

That final, frantic spree of this 103-92 Game 2 loss was a mirage at the AT&T Center. Cleveland turned a 29-point gulf into an eight-point deficit late in the fourth, but no one bought its legitimacy as progress. That was merely human nature taking over for the Spurs.

"The one thing, our guys … didn't quit," Cavaliers coach Mike Brown said. "They didn't quit in Game 1. They didn't quit in Game 2."

Well, you'd kind of hope so, because, you know, this is the NBA finals and all.

Do the Cavs want credit for that?

To be as out-talented and out-manned and still come with such little mental toughness and tenacity? Cleveland was beaten to every rebound and loose ball and made lousy decision after lousy decision.

The Cavaliers owe the sport a complete performance in Game 3. Right now, they are so bad, there's no interest in these NBA finals. If Game 1 was the worst rated in NBA finals television history, how do you think it turned out for Game 2? When "The Sopranos" series finale had ended at 10 p.m. EDT, America would've presumably turned to find the Spurs winning 45-26 with 5½ minutes left in the second quarter.

So far, LeBron James has been completely overmatched. For him to go slapping at Tim Duncan on a double team, swinging wildly for the ball to get his second foul three minutes into the game, was beyond foolish. Yes, he's 22 years old, but he should've been smarter. Once he went to the bench for the rest of the quarter, Cleveland was reduced to mid-major talent on the floor. The Cavs would be lucky to win the Missouri Valley Conference without him.

The Cavaliers are talking about how they were down 2-0 to the Pistons in the conference finals, and everything changed when they returned home. Well, these aren't the Pistons. These are the Spurs, who probably did themselves a favor with a sluggish fourth quarter in Game 2. Now, San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich can wag that finger and remind his players that they aren't nearly as invincible against the Cavs as they would've believed.

"I do remember what happened in Games 3 and 4 (of the 2005 finals against Detroit), and it was really embarrassing," Manu Ginobili said of the Pistons' back-to-back blowouts in Auburn Hills.

In a historical context, the Spurs' legacy will pay a price for the incompetence of the Eastern Conference, and by extension, these Cavaliers. When you win championships, you want to give history unforgettable moments on the game's biggest stage. Through the years, the Spurs' championship runs included a Knicks frontline of Chris Dudley and Herb Williams, the history-less Nets, and now, these Cavaliers. Yes, the Spurs are great, but they're a June Ali without a Frazier, a Jack without an Arnie. They're kind of the NBA's Larry Holmes.

For all the great Western Conference teams and players San Antonio has had to go through to reach the finals, it is still left without epic title tests to mark it for the ages. That's not the Spurs' fault, but that's their lot. Even this season, they have been cut break after break in these playoffs.

The Spurs were the best team, but they had a fortuitous run. The Mavericks lost to the Warriors. Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw left that bench in the conference semifinals. And now, the Cavaliers.

San Antonio is trying to convince itself that it should fear these Cavs returning to Cleveland for Games 3 and 4 and maybe Game 5. Everyone else is trying to decide which of these realities is most responsible for the Cavaliers reaching the NBA finals:

Is LeBron James that good, or is the Eastern Conference that bad?

So the Cavs made a late run because that's what happens in the NBA, but they threatened nothing in Game 2. They threatened no one. Tim Duncan had it right about those final minutes, when he said, "Nothing went wrong. We won the game, right? Isn't that the point of the whole thing?"

Just two more for the Spurs, just a little longer.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the national NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports. Send Adrian a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-cavaliers061007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

greyforest
06-11-2007, 04:51 AM
yes these finals are boring, because where is the competition? suns was about 100x more entertaining to watch, those games had lead changes :spless:

polandprzem
06-11-2007, 06:20 AM
Moses walked on water?
Yup but soon after he drawn

SpursIndonesia
06-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Let's just no get ourself ahead, there's still 2 more games to win. I don't care whether it's a sweep or 7 game series, as long we get the championship.

Avitus1
06-11-2007, 07:18 AM
San Antonio is doing good but we still need a championship before we are through. Luckily the team probably realizes this and knows what must be done. I am not looking forward to Cleveland but I am looking forward to the wins.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-11-2007, 08:08 AM
man, I don't care if everyone is calling the Spurs boring... these are good times to be a Spurs fan!

ShoogarBear
06-11-2007, 08:33 AM
For all the great Western Conference teams and players San Antonio has had to go through to reach the finals, it is still left without epic title tests to mark it for the ages.

:rolleyes

Two of the three Celtic titles in the Larry Bird era were against the Houston Rockets.

BigBeezie
06-11-2007, 08:35 AM
The Spurs are making it look too easy. I hope that late run by the Cavs will keep them on their toes...

hater
06-11-2007, 09:03 AM
4th time champions coming up biatch!

that's ALL I care about

rob5
06-11-2007, 09:29 AM
I think the Cav's comeback in the 4th was due to the Spurs getting bored along with the fans. But boredom never felt so good as it did last night.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Good stuff...

Recognize what you're seeing. If you can get over yourself, appreciate that you're seeing the only dynasty going.

The Cavs are up against the greatest franchise in professional sports, and they're not handling it well.

td4mvp3
06-11-2007, 11:41 AM
For all the great Western Conference teams and players San Antonio has had to go through to reach the finals, it is still left without epic title tests to mark it for the ages. That's not the Spurs' fault, but that's their lot. Even this season, they have been cut break after break in these playoffs.

The Spurs were the best team, but they had a fortuitous run. The Mavericks lost to the Warriors. Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw left that bench in the conference semifinals. And now, the Cavaliers.

wiz down 2 players, hobbled nets, ben wallace-less pistons.

who was fortuitous?

veronicamae
06-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I was at Game 1 & Game 2 and other than the opening minutes of Game 1, it was louder at Game 2 when we were up by 29 than when the game was "close" in Game 1.

At least, that's sure what it seemed like.

ancestron
06-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I personally love watching the Spurs, especially when they are up big. It's like "oh man what are they gonna do next?!"
anyone who says the Spurs are boring obviously isnt even watching, and are just not a fan and trying to follow suit like everyone else who isnt a Spurs fan by saying "oh the Spurs, yeah man they win but they're boring"
I wonder, if the Spurs are the boring team, who is the exciting team? Do people like watching Dirk Nowitzki's goofy ass shoot free throws? Kobe score 50 in a losing effort? Shaq Dunk AGAIN? Dwyane Wade get fouled? An aging Jason Kidd and Vince Carter trying to recapture the greatness that almost was? Oh wait, i know...they want to see Steve Nash behind the back to Stoudemire over and over again in a 187-185 quadruple overtime game where the word "defense" is met with confused looks.

TampaDude
06-11-2007, 04:13 PM
I get news and scores on my pager, and this morning, I saw the following line under Sports News:

NBA - Cavs get whacked, Tony Soprano doesn't, Spurs cruise to easy victory, lead finals 2-0...

:lol