PDA

View Full Version : NBA Finals notebook: Horry provides blocks, boards and ... oops

THE SIXTH MAN
06-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061107.05S.BKNspurs.notebook.3cd3eb0.html)

NBA Final notebook: Horry provides blocks, boards and ... oops

Web Posted: 06/11/2007 01:04 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News

Robert Horry had quite a night — doing everything from leading his team in blocks (five) to tying Tim Duncan for the team lead in rebounds (nine) to ramming Gregg Popovich into the scorer's table.
The Spurs coach went down hard after Horry ran into him late in the fourth quarter.

"I was so scared because I knew I had pinched his leg up against the (scorer's table) and I was like, 'Please don't be hurt. Please don't be hurt,'" Horry said. "But he jumped up fast. That shows you how tough he is."

Popovich said the incident reminded him of his playing days at the Air Force Academy.

"That's the best thing I could do as a player — fall down," Popovich said.

Horry finished with only 5 points on 1-of-3 shooting from the field, but Popovich credited the 36-year-old's play with helping the Spurs lead by as many as 29 points in the second half.

"When somebody comes off the bench and does what Robert did at both ends of the floor, it's fantastic," Popovich said. "His blocks were just as big as any points he scored, any rebounds he got. Great momentum builders that really gives the defense a kick in the butt."

Cowboys in the house: Dallas Cowboys stars Terrell Owens and Roy Williams, who completed a minicamp earlier in the day at team headquarters in Irving, watched Game 2 from courtside seats across the Spurs bench.

"I got T.O. the ticket," said Williams, a Pro Bowl safety. "I'm a basketball fan, so this is great. The Spurs are a great team. There are no individuals. It's all about team. They're a great role model for the NBA."

Owens, who sported designer sunglasses, wasn't as cordial as his teammate.

"I'm not doing any interviews," the mercurial receiver said tersely. "No interviews. No pictures."

Other celebrities in attendance included Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Academy Award-winning actor Tommy Lee Jones, a San Saba native and San Antonio resident, and Academy Award-nominated actor Terrence Howard, who starred in "Hustle and Flow" and "Crash."

Howard, who wore a Tony Parker jersey and sat with Parker's fiancée "Desperate Housewives" star Eva Longoria, had a long chat outside the locker room after the game with the Spurs' Bruce Bowen.

Gibson OK off bench: Cleveland guard Daniel Gibson said he doesn't believe he should be placed in the starting lineup, despite having some offensive success against the Spurs while starter Larry Hughes continues to be hobbled by a foot injury.

"Nah, I'm just going to try to continue to play," Gibson said. "Whatever happens, happens."

Gibson has averaged 15.5 points in the first two games.

Comeback Cavs: Cleveland battled back from a 29-point deficit to twice cut the margin to eight points before the Spurs iced the victory.

"The one thing is that our guys never quit," Cleveland coach Mike Brown said. "They didn't quit in Game 1 and they didn't quit tonight. But we're not in it for moral victories. The bottom line is that we lost the ballgame."

The Cavs have outscored the Spurs by 20 points in the fourth quarter of the first two games.

Cleveland rocks: The Cavaliers lost the first two games of their Eastern Conference finals series against Detroit before rebounding for four-straight victories.

Gibson said he can't wait to get back home for Game 3.

"I think we can use the home crowd behind us and the atmosphere," he said. "It should help us provide that boost and that energy that we need."

Bowens go home: Bowen's wife, Yardley, and their newborn son, Ozmel, returned home Sunday.

Ozmel was born Saturday morning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
Staff writer Tim Griffin contributed to this report.

Extra Stout
06-11-2007, 08:04 AM
When Horry ran into Popovich, Amare Stoudemire, almost instinctively, tried to run onto the floor.

maxpower
06-11-2007, 08:20 AM
calls for a photoshop.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-11-2007, 08:21 AM
When Horry ran into Popovich, Amare Stoudemire, almost instinctively, tried to run onto the floor.:lol Yeah, I can just picture Suns fans saying

"SEEEEE!! I told you he was dirty, he even tried to take out his coach! This merits a suspension!! Come on Stern!! BE CONSISTENT!!"