PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the 3rd swingman?

spursfaninla
12-03-2004, 12:10 AM
We can continue to split the minutes fairly evenly between brown and Barry( if manu and bowen get 30 each), 18 mpg.

Or, we can give one guy 25-28mpg and the other 11-8 . Eventually it is better, I think, to have solid roles and expectations about when and how much you play, obviously determined by your performance and the teams need. So I'm not asking for what is justified by the evidence to date, because the year is too early; I'm asking for a prediction.

Who will be the 3rd swingman?

Will it be Barry, who has great handles and basketball knowledge, is taller, and has more experience,

Or Brown, who can use the experience to fulfill his potential, is youthful and thus the future, and who has shown the ability to be (in the least) a streaky shooter who can put up more serious points on the board.

Both can finish at the rim and run the fast break. Brown has been hitting the 3 better than Barry lately, though I think Barry comes back to lead the team in that category.

timvp
12-03-2004, 12:14 AM
Everything points to it being Barry, but Devin has played damn well in the last three games. I don't know how the world would react to Pop playing Barry in a Steve Kerr type role ... I'm guessing Spurs fans would start proliferating weapons of mass destruction.

Manu20
12-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Barry should get the bulk of the minutes behind Manu and Bowen (depending on the matchups) I love the way Brown plays but he is not proven enough as a reliable scorer yet. On the other hand, Barry will score on most nights or create for his teamates.

SPARKY
12-03-2004, 12:30 AM
If Brown continues to produce as he has lately you can't justify not giving him a solid 20 minutes a night. As for Barry his versatility and playmaking are certainly an asset on the court and his shooting should improve.

The way I look at it, it is difficult to justify either player not getting quality time. Honestly I think Bowen's minutes should decrease a little to about 25 minutes a night. You still need Bruce to set the defensive tone and start against the better swingmen in the league but the Spurs offense has a certain fluidity when Barry gets his minutes, along with Beno. Devin's game certainly is solid offensively and he's done a decent job defensively. But defense is what the Spurs are about so Bowen's going nowhere.

Basically I feel that it's not that significant who comes off the bench first.

conversekid
12-03-2004, 01:29 AM
Don't get too hyped with Devin. I love him and think he is great; however, the minutes belong to Barry.

Barry has the 3pt threat we need in the playoffs when the game becomes half court – not to mention his passing and overall basketball IQ. And, with this fact, he needs to keep (or get) his rhythm and be in playoff form at the end of the season.

Devin needs to continue to get minutes, when available or when match-ups call for it, to keep him ready in case someone goes down. But the minutes should be for Barry.

T Park
12-03-2004, 02:09 AM
decrease Bowen's

split it between Barry and Brown.

Brown is shooting just as good threes as Barry.

Barry cant hit shit right now.

conversekid
12-03-2004, 10:40 AM

Key word = "now"

You can't believe this will continue. Barry is one of the best and is in a funk; his history and rep define his minutes. You KNOW he will come out of it and will be needed in the playoffs.

ducks
12-03-2004, 10:44 AM
you decrease bowen's minutes and give them to brown and decrease barry minutes and give them to brown

when brown starts sucking again you bench him
not a hard concept

you go with the hot hand
it is not like dec is the playoffs

Jimcs50
12-03-2004, 11:11 AM
decrease Bowen's

split it between Barry and Brown.

Yeah, we should decrease Bowen's minutes because the Spurs never need to worry about defense on the opponent's best player. :rolleyes

ducks
12-03-2004, 11:44 AM
with tp's improvement on d
and duncan's improvement on blocks
they do not need bowen's d as much

conversekid
12-03-2004, 11:56 AM
they do not need bowen's d as much
OMG! did you really say that?

What good are duncans blocks on the perimeter? Defense is our staple, thus bowen isn't going anywhere. You don't bench barry because devin is hot right now. Barry is a proven basketball player and is just in a "3pt" shooting funk - his passing and other apsects of bball are NOT in a funk - repeat, just his 3pt shooting..

we need barry to be 100% comfortable come playoff time... we can't do that by taking away his minutes now and expecting him to find his shot later.

boutons
12-03-2004, 12:00 PM
"don't need bowen's d as much"

but I don't want Tony put on the toughest perimiter threat and run his legs offs the way Bruce does. Tony's main value is running the offense and scoring, while whatever improvements in his defense are welcome but always secondary.

Bruce's calling card is defense in his quite unbalanced repertoire, and if he no-shows on offense as he frequently does, it hurts but it's not catastrophic.

Tony no-shows on offense (eg, while spending his energy great D) is often a loss, or close to it.

Useruser666
12-03-2004, 12:14 PM
I think this is a game by game senario based decision. It should typically be Barry. If we need more defense we would bring Brown in more. Bowen's minutes can be reduced if there isn't a scoring threat for him to guard on the floor. I think the order of the subs should remain the same, just their time on the floor be altered. It keeps a rhythm for the players yet utilizes them in the best ways.

GoSpurs21
12-03-2004, 12:50 PM
my vote would be Bowen but that wasnt an option above

Rummpd
12-03-2004, 01:02 PM
This is a nice problem to have but Pop probably not losing sleep on this = Mr. Cia will keep it quiet and change slowly. Nevertheless, I argue why not this starting line up only if Brown has 3-4 more great games in the next 10-12 and then give him 10 full games to see if it works or not = (Bowen enough of a pro to sit on bench and will not sulk).

Rasho
TD
Brown
Manu
Parker
Bowen first off the bench for 20-25 backs up Brown

Then play Barry,Rose, Beno 20/20/15 (Beno may be tough not to justify 20 = what a stud last few games but will see) a game and divide the rest 10 or so Horry, Massenburg and change.

MadDoc

Spurminator
12-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Competition will be good for Barry, Bowen and Brown.

ducks
12-03-2004, 02:45 PM
dude barry will get hot
then he will have cold streak

we are starting in dec
now you could worry about his cold shooting and want him to keep shooting to shot out of it if this was feb but dec is a different story

ALVAREZ6
12-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Devin is the man, and hes gonna continue to improve

but for now, barry deserves more because of his experience and he started in Seattle last year after all.

spursfaninla
12-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Spurs vs. Bulls 6th - Grades

Devin Brown
Once again, Brown was the spark off the bench. Since regaining his confidence and a spot in the regular rotation, Brown has taken off running. As it stands now, it’s hard to imagine him not getting quality time for the rest of the season.

Gosh, maybe this poll would come out differently just 1 or 2 games since I posted it...

:king

Solid D
12-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Send 'em in waves. Keep 'em guessing.
Barry, Bowen and Brown + Beno = Killer B's