PDA

View Full Version : Papaloukas

picnroll
06-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Interview today..

"I wanna go to NBA,but this is not enough for me.I wanna be in the top ,not going home after losing 50 games per year.I want to win badly.Im talking with 12 teams right now but i can't reveal anything cauz my contract wit CSKA is still running.

I want to go somewhere that the GM and the coach want me.I have no problem taking a paycut(In europe he is earning somewhere between 5-6 million dollars ) or a small cut in my playing time.

As you know things in NBA are pretty weird.For instance,at the moment i am waiting to see if Kobe Bryant gets traded(Hint for Lakers?).At this moment,my main concern is the NBA cauz im not that young to go later.I would be interested mostly in playing in teams that fit me :San Antonio, Detroit , Miami ,Clevelant or Dallas."

Leetonidas
06-11-2007, 11:37 AM
What's with all the spelling errors? Clevelant?

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2007, 11:41 AM
thats the thing with europe league

top players earn more then MLE over there, and when you divide it by the number of games they play, cash per game > nba dude on MLE or earnin 10-12million a year.

fuck this, why bring him in when you can bring in scola? at least give the dude a chance, see wtf he has, invite him to summer camp see how he goes....

ploto
06-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Just what the Spurs need- another 30-something guard.

BeerIsGood!
06-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm not missing Rasho yet.

timvp
06-11-2007, 02:34 PM
In the World Championships, this guy was awesome and was the reason the Greek team won it all. He has a high basketball IQ and really knows how to run the show. Anytime I've seen him play, he's always been pretty damn good. I've been a fan of him for a couple years now.

That said, he might have too much Antoine Rigaudeau in him ... meaning that his big and slow pace might get eaten alive in the NBA. He's a 6-foot-7 point guard and he doesn't have much speed or jumping ability. I'm not sure that will work in the NBA.

For a cheap contract, I'd give him a shot though. He's smart, he plays tough and he's clutch.

hater
06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
he is fucking clutch. drop beno and add papafrita

velik_m
06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
He was awesome in this year's Euroleague finals too.

timvp
06-11-2007, 02:40 PM
A nice thing about him is he does his damage from off the bench in Euroleague so that could ease his transition to the NBA.

michaelwcho
06-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Are European bball games televised here in the States at all? It sounds like they might be fun to check out...

Mr. Body
06-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Word is Miami has a sizeable offer for him on the table. He's said to have a defensive focus, in addition to his playmaking abilities, although like everyone I'm worried about his speed and quickness. Jasikevicius is still eating up about $4M a year.

I could see a minor bidding war on the part of desperate teams. There's a suggestion he likes motion offenses more than the isos of some NBA teams (makes sense), but I can see Miami going to extremes in order to make a final push with Shaq.

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Are European bball games televised here in the States at all? It sounds like they might be fun to check out...

ESPN de Portes shows some of the games during the Euroleague. I caught a Tau Ceramica game. Pretty cool to see Scola.

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 03:12 PM
For a cheap contract, I'd give him a shot though. He's smart, he plays tough and he's clutch.

He knows that this is basically his last shot to play in the NBA so he might accept a cheap offer. The Spurs are in a good position to get him too. They have a good core of foreign talent and have an obvious need for a backup PG. What would be a realistic offer for him to come over though?

I've heard that Vassillis Spanoulis is wanting to opt out of his contract with Houston. Any chance we nab this guy? He'd be awesome.

picnroll
06-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plrxg2AvXvs)

This guy and Manu together could drive Pop nuts.

Mr. Body
06-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Spanoulis doesn't look like an NBA player - hurting Papaloukas a bit, too.

I'd be cautious about replacing Vaughn with this guy... and I'm convinced the Spurs are going for a PG in the draft, so would they have 4 PGs on roster?

MadDog73
06-11-2007, 03:59 PM

Looks nice!

hater
06-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Greece ownage of the US: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgMS3GI_rfc

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Spanoulis doesn't look like an NBA player - hurting Papaloukas a bit, too.

I'd be cautious about replacing Vaughn with this guy... and I'm convinced the Spurs are going for a PG in the draft, so would they have 4 PGs on roster?

Unless Papaloukas can legitimately play some shooting guard then "no".

Mr. Body
06-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't think so, either...

ploto
06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
I do not see him giving up what he has in Europe to back up Parker for 10 minutes a game.

Bruno
06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm convinced the Spurs are going for a PG in the draft, so would they have 4 PGs on roster?

If Mr. Body is convinced that Spurs will draft a PG, Spurs will draft a PG for sure. ;)

Bruno
06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Papaloukas will have a lot of dificulties to defend quick PGs.
IMO, he can be valuable for a team with an undersized SG. Papoulakas will hide the SG lack of size by defending the opposite SG and the undersized SG will hide Papoulakas lack of speed by defending the opposite PG.

Mr. Body
If Mr. Body is convinced that Spurs will draft a PG, Spurs will draft a PG for sure. ;)

C'mon, man.

Mr. Body
Papaloukas will have a lot of dificulties to defend quick PGs.
IMO, he can be valuable for a team with an undersized SG. Papoulakas will hide the SG lack of size by defending the opposite SG and the undersized SG will hide Papoulakas lack of speed by defending the opposite PG.

I can see him getting creamed by Kobe and the better SGs.

Bruno
06-11-2007, 05:07 PM
C'mon, man.

I just find the "I've decided that Spurs will draft a PG so they can't go after Papaloukas" argument kinda strange.

picnroll
06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Spurs may draft a PG but that means that there is a high probablity they haven't addressed their backup PG situation next year unless it's Vaughn for another year or money spent to get the guy who can play the backup position. Any PG they draft at 28 is likley a project.

ploto
06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Spurs have to figure out about finding roster spots because there are, I believe, 12 players under contract for next year-- many of whom will be on the last year of their contracts. Will the Spurs hold fast mostly and go for cap space in 2008 like they did in 2003 or will they take on any contracts for these expiring ones? If you consider guys like Scola and Ian- and add in a possible guaranteed contract from a first round draft pick- there is no room at the inn. And what about Bonner?

smrattler
06-11-2007, 05:40 PM
So, basically any team that is a realistic possibility to make it to the Finals is a "good fit" for him. Who is this guy and why is everyone (not just this board, others too) so interested in what he says?

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 05:57 PM
So, basically any team that is a realistic possibility to make it to the Finals is a "good fit" for him. Who is this guy and why is everyone (not just this board, others too) so interested in what he says?

Perenial winner over in Europe. Multiple league MVP. 6'7 playmaking PG with amazing vision and solid defense. Clutch. Also an aging PG (30 I believe) that wants to make a run at a title instead of helping a team develop. He has earned that right with his play in Europe and will go where he wants.

Mr. Body
06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I just find the "I've decided that Spurs will draft a PG so they can't go after Papaloukas" argument kinda strange.

Did I say I 'decided' they were going to draft a PG?

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Spurs have to figure out about finding roster spots because there are, I believe, 12 players under contract for next year-- many of whom will be on the last year of their contracts. Will the Spurs hold fast mostly and go for cap space in 2008 like they did in 2003 or will they take on any contracts for these expiring ones? If you consider guys like Scola and Ian- and add in a possible guaranteed contract from a first round draft pick- there is no room at the inn. And what about Bonner?

Roster issues are clearly the name of the game this year. But the team will likely be able to make enough room:

Brent Barry and Beno Udrih will be traded. Maybe they are sent for draft picks but hopefully it's in a sign and trade for Andres Nocioni instead.

Fabricio Oberto could opt out of his contract and return to Europe.

James White has a team option and could be let go (if not easily traded for a future 2nd round pick) if the team does not feel he is right for the team.

Jackie Butler could be moved, maybe in a larger trade to include Barry and Beno as well.

Scola's rights are definitely on the block.

Ian Mahinmi does not have to, by any means, come over this season and could spend another year across the pond.

Two of the draft picks will probably be spent on draft and stash players while only one of the three is most likely to play next season.

Matt Bonner won't be resigned unless other plans backfire.

Jacque Vaughn does not have to be brought back either.

The roster spots are there...it's just a matter of "how do you want to get them?"

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-11-2007, 06:03 PM
who is this guy?

link? stats? pics?

timvp
06-11-2007, 06:04 PM

It's a bad sign for your quickness when they have to put your highlight reel in fast motion.

This guy will either be the point guard version of Toni Kukoc or the second coming of Antoine Rigaudeau.

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 06:09 PM
who is this guy?

link? stats? pics?

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/General/1179058989.jpg

Looking for an unusual player? What about a 6-7 point guard? What about a Euroleague MVP that comes off the bench? What about a guy who almost always displays his best level in important and meaningful games? That’s Theodoros Papaloukas, arguably the reigning best player in Europe, the direct heir of guys such as Dejan Bodiroga and Sarunas Jasikevicius, a fierce and insatiable competitor, a winner, a perennial hero for his team. Papaloukas was coming back to Athens, his hometown, to try and win back-to-back Euroleague titles for CSKA Moscow. It just happened that he couldn’t get it done this time despite putting one of the best shows of his life in the final against Panathinaikos.

Right after the semifinal win over Tau Vitoria, CSKA coach Ettore Messina showed his concern about Papaloukas taking too much responsibility for this event in his homeland (he joked about Theo organizing travel, tickets, practice, the hotel…), but it was what actually happened in the final, as a huge amount of his team’s offensive load went through his hands, either with points directly scored by him, creating spaces for his teammates with his aggressive playing style or passing the ball to an open man.

Papaloukas is a difficult player to contest. He’s tall and quite strong for a guard, enjoying very good ball-handling skills to protect the ball despite his size, and displays decent quickness. Theo can drive and dribble in traffic, even with contact, which helps him overpower his match-ups. He perfectly uses his size to post up his defender, even beating guys as tall as him (like Siskauskas in the final). And then, it’s a matter of his great ability to finish near the basket (partially thanks to his size), magnificent court vision and an impressive mind to take decisions. The guy always knows when to push the ball and run (either because of a certain play situation or what the game demands), when to stop and play a more drawn out sequence, and when to resolve with a pick and roll play or an individual effort.

Actually we’re talking about a master of the pick and roll, a playmaker that perfectly feeds the teammate setting the pick and rolling towards the basket, often with high passes where he takes advantage of his size. If the defense doesn’t stay honest, he will either go all the way to the basket to score himself or shoot the ball off the dribble. Here we find his main weakness in terms of offensive game though: he’s not much of a shooter, although he will punish you if he’s left wide open. His passing game is not only about two-on-two situations, but he finds his teammates on the weak side extremely easily, he’s very dangerous distributing the ball from the low post (especially because he usually attracts defensive helps), and generally speaking, if there’s any defensive mistake, chances are he will make pay by sending the ball instantaneously to the appropriate place. It’s also interesting to note how he often passes while in the air, a high risk proposition, but he rarely turns the ball over, as his mind offers him quick solutions.

Theo helps in the rebounding department, usually igniting the fastbreak (also if he receives a quick outlet pass) to look for easy baskets. He’s an unspectacular, but solid defender; let’s say he fills the bill. Obviously he’s not the quickest guy around when it comes to moving laterally, which would hurt him in the NBA matching-up against point guards. Neither is he very athletic for a wing. But there aren’t many guys around with his combination of character and skills. In a world increasingly starving for true playmakers, he’s the answer. Will the NBA feel the same way? We’ll find out this summer.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2047

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-11-2007, 06:11 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2047

thanks

a 6-7 PG would be awesome to have, maybe the Spurs wining the chip this year will make his decision earsier to come to SA

Spurs CAN'T rely on Beno and Vaughn in 08 as backups

after reading that, him coming to the Spurs is too good to be true

not happening

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Frankly, I think I'd rather have Dimitrios Diamantidis. But I don't think he has any desire whatsoever to come over to the NBA. Pity.

Solid D
06-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Papaloukas is an extremely strong offensive player. Very strong with the ball. He can drive and create on anyone, one-on-one. Some people, he overpowers...and he can finish. He's an erratic outside scorer, however. I'd love to see the Spurs get sign him and use him in screen/roll scenarios to get extra scoring punch and ball distribution.

Nikos
06-11-2007, 11:15 PM
I would like to see him here as well. I don't think he would help a borderline to above average playoff contender at all. Because he doesn't really stand out at anything, and I could see him being like Rigadeu if he went to a team that had young and solid guards and swingmen. He is not the type to beat out young talent or established talent. I think SA would be a great fit for him because he could be a backup PG that could really run the offense well, and even defend the 2-3 reasonably. He would improve the Spurs offense a little bit because of the type of the players the Spurs have and the way they play. With guys like Ginobili, Duncan, Parker -- he could run pick and rolls or find the open guards all day.

He would be an excellent addition and player to take a chance on. Not that he would be awesome or Manu like off the bench -- but he could carve his own niche and be a very useful offensive player and help defender with his steals.

Not a bad International player to take a chance on if the money and opportunity is right.

xamila rey
06-11-2007, 11:16 PM
he is fucking clutch. drop beno and add papafrita

papafrita, u got me a good laugh,,

spyros1973
06-19-2007, 06:32 AM
BTW, you should check how Papaloukas fared against Parker in the last 5 or 6 games Greece faced France (Greece won them all). Of particular note is the Eurobasket 2005 semi-final, when France was leading by 9 points 55'' before the end and Greece won, with a buzze beater by Diamantidis. Papaloukas showed enormous clutch in this game, scoring 6 points in the last minute by driving against Parker. No desperate three point shots, no throwing-up prayers... just calm and cool basketball decisions.

I don't know if Papaloukas is a seemless fit-in NBA-material, but given the right circumstances, he can shine and help a team win.

Darkwaters
06-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Reportedly, the Cavs are interested in bringing in Papaloukas as well (maybe Ferry is coming to his senses on that whole Beno udrih thing). Theodoras would likely start or at least get the lions share of the minutes in Cleveland.

TDMVPDPOY
06-19-2007, 08:43 AM
dont be suprised if he doesnt come to the spurs

i have learnt over the years which ever FA opens his mouth and mentions about the spurs, is just marketing themselves and suckpunchin the other teams thinkn we are interested, usin the spurs as leverage for a payrise.

gtownspur
06-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Paploukas, hmmm is that a tasty greek dish. Zorbas in austin anyone??

thousandth
06-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Paploukas, hmmm is that a tasty greek dish. Zorbas in austin anyone??

C'mon... :rolleyes

drclic
06-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Spurs allready have Manu and Tony ... so Papaloukas is just a bench player for spurs ... this guy need to own the team ... He needs to play minutes, to get involved .... Miami or Cleveland are the team he needs ... dallas ? why not, if they get rid of Jason Terry. Phoenix ...

Papaloukas is not a defender ... PG in NBA will rules him ... he has to play SG (alongside a true PG). He's great (the best) in clutch plays in Europ but in NBA, referee and rules won't make it easy for him ...

Else, he will be the next Jasikivicius .. best player in Europ, never get a chance in NBA ... By the way, Cleveland still don't want to try him ?
Bye,
Drclic.

drclic
06-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Bye the way, for the spurs, look after Diamantidis. Great defender, great shooter, clutch ... best way to replace Bowen and/or Ginobili in a few years ... He's way more a NBA player profile than Papaloukas.

joeyjfive
06-19-2007, 01:36 PM
In that vid, IMO he doesnt look like he'd be quick enough in the NBA, not to mention all those crazy passes hes throwing. I'd like to know what his assist to turnover ratio is. Maybe I was expecting too much when I heard 6'7 point guard but hey hes still better than Beno.

Vito Corleone
06-19-2007, 02:54 PM
I would rather roll the dice with Beno developing into a quality PG then go after this guy.

Ellinaras
06-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Bring him over, the guy is a winner, clutch as hell and a solid citizen. Was Kukoc fast? Is Dirk that freak of an athlete? Beno is a slow mothasucka. For the right price definitely yes.

BeerIsGood!
06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
I would rather roll the dice with Beno developing into a quality PG then go after this guy.

That will never happen with the Spurs. Pop's system works because the players the Spurs have are tough skinned and can take a straight forward, no bullshit coaching style. Beno has shown that he cannot play in that kind of system with this kind of coach.

As for the Greek - would be nice as a backup combo guard but would have to be hidden on defense against the opposing team's 2nd string shooters who don't drive well. At this point, the Spurs need the roster slot for Oberto and others more than they need this guy.

ChumpDumper
06-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Is he white?

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-19-2007, 05:52 PM
we can dream Spurs fans......................we can only dream

K-State Spur
06-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Does he lack quickness overall, or just by a PG standards? Most reports give him a good jumpshot, would he work as a wing who can spell tony's ballhandling for stretches? Or now am I talking about getting him out of his comfort zone and his competitive advantage as a player? What's the record for most questions posed in succession?

Magic_Johnson
06-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Bring him over, the guy is a winner, clutch as hell and a solid citizen. Was Kukoc fast? Is Dirk that freak of an athlete? Beno is a slow mothasucka. For the right price definitely yes.

he's 30, he's a superstar in europe and I don't think he'd like to be on the bench (there's only one manu). So I don't think he'll come.

Darkwaters
06-19-2007, 07:54 PM
he's 30, he's a superstar in europe and I don't think he'd like to be on the bench (there's only one manu). So I don't think he'll come.

Why not? He comes off the bench on his current team in Europe. Even when he was winning the MVP he was coming off the bench. I fail to see why that would stop him from coming to the NBA.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-19-2007, 10:45 PM
He's an awesome player, probably one of the top 3 playing in Europe. However, some Europeans with those credentials that made the jump across the Atlantic failed to impress in the NBA. Jasikevicius is the best example, absolutely dominating in Europe, failure in the NBA. Except for having a better 3 point shot but not as strong as Papaloukas, they are the same kind of player. A slow (for NBA standards), playmaking point guard.

The bright side is that Papaloukas is used to come from the bench, and that the Spurs and Pop handle international players much better than most of the NBA teams. If he accepts a low contract and adapts well, could be a major signing.

Darkwaters
06-19-2007, 10:56 PM
I still am intrigued by the prospect of playing Tony at the 2 and having Papaloukas run the point (much like how Allen Iverson played the 2 and Blake ran the point this season for Denver). With a playmaker at the helm Tony would be free to make cuts and work off the ball. With his jumpshot only getting better and better I think we would quickly realize Tony can be effective in that role. It wouldn't be something we ran with huge minutes, but it would change the pace of the game and offer us a new look while not sacrificing much defensively (Tony D's up their PG and Papaloukas their SG).

mountainballer
06-20-2007, 02:52 AM
the Jasikevicius comparison is somehow misleading.
Papaloukas is his successor as the best player in Europe, but their stiles are quite different.
IMO Jasikevicius would fit the Spurs system better than Papaloukas, even considering Papaloukas is the much better defender.
Marko Jaric would probably be a more accurate comparison.

spyros1973
06-20-2007, 03:24 AM
In that vid, IMO he doesnt look like he'd be quick enough in the NBA, not to mention all those crazy passes hes throwing. I'd like to know what his assist to turnover ratio is.

His Euroleage stats this year for your reference:

25 games
3 games started
24:22 mins per game
9.8 ppg
66.4% 2p !!!
34.1% 3p
71.6% ft
3.2 rebounds
5.4 assists (the definition of an "assist" is stricter in Euroleague)
1.7 steals
2.4 turnovers
0.2 blocks
1.9 fouls commited
2.9 fouls received

naico
06-20-2007, 03:48 AM
good player but sooooo OVERRATED..i wouldnt want him on the team..

fonzy16
06-20-2007, 06:30 AM
papaloukas is the best player in europe right now... it would be great to have him on the bench. Compared to Jasikevicius he is bigger, stronger and much more team oriented, great with assists

Magic_Johnson
06-20-2007, 06:41 AM
the Jasikevicius comparison is somehow misleading.
Papaloukas is his successor as the best player in Europe, but their stiles are quite different.
IMO Jasikevicius would fit the Spurs system better than Papaloukas, even considering Papaloukas is the much better defender.
Marko Jaric would probably be a more accurate comparison.

I agree
I saw Jasikevicius when he played in europe and he was better than papaloukas. he just went in the wrong team (indiana with no passing game)
but he would fit the spurs system.

RADECK
06-20-2007, 06:49 AM
What about PAPALOUKAS's teammate:

SMODIS, MATJAZ
Team: CSKA
Height: 2.05
Born: 1979
Nationality: Slovenia
Number: 8

Min - 24:34
Pts - 12.9
2FG - 55.6%
3FG - 42%
RPG - 3.8

Plays both forward positions in Europe, but prefers playing small forward on offense and power forward on defense.

http://www.euroleague.net/resourceserver/4700/2e901457-cc65-4a5f-8d15-da9440dc8a03/1b7bed401df60e6b2bf0db396c777476/cl/en-US/filename/2e901457-cc65-4a5f-8d15-da9440dc8a03.jpgMATJAZ SMODIS (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/9025/180/euroleague-basketball-february-mvp-matjaz-smodis-cska?smid=277)

Could fit to Spurs and his price is much lower than Scola's, and they are both top forwards in the leagu.

RADECK
06-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Wanted to put in Scolas thread - my mistake sorry:):)!!!

souriciergris
06-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Papaloukas is a stud with a killer instinct. He would be a definitive improvement at the back up PG spot.

But I don't know if the Spurs can offer him the playing time he is looking for.

mountainballer
06-20-2007, 07:40 AM
I agree
I saw Jasikevicius when he played in europe and he was better than papaloukas. he just went in the wrong team (indiana with no passing game)
but he would fit the spurs system.

right. Carlisle also never found out how to use him. he is just to stubborn with his system and forces players into it.
(that's why Pop is so great and Carlisle is average. Spurs also have a very ingenious and strict system, but Pop has the ability to also adjust the system to the qualities of a player.)
and that Saras can't succeed in a Nelson system is just logical.

I always hoped to see Saras at the Spurs (who know him well and always liked him), where he should be able to shine.
(last deadline I claimed that a deal of Barry for Saras would create a win win situation for both teams). IMO this is still the case.
Warriors will hope that he opts. out this summer and takes an european offer (Real Madrid is very interested), because this would help them to stay under the threshold, but if he doesn't opt out, a deal for Barry would be a good move for them.
they have become a PO team and a veteran with championship expirience, who upgrades their not so great shooter department, should fit in quite well.
the expiring contracts makes it a low risk for both teams.

of course there is no guarrantee that Saras would fit in well. maybe he in fact can't translate his game to NBA.
but if it works, this deal could have a huge upside for the Spurs.