PDA

View Full Version : Screw Carmelo

Kori Ellis
12-03-2004, 02:53 AM
Associated Press

DENVER -- A homemade DVD shows Denver Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony with a man who warns that people who tip police about drug deals "get a hole in their head."

The remark was apparently made in a conversation on a street in Baltimore, where Anthony grew up. In excerpts broadcast on television stations in Denver and Baltimore Thursday, Anthony does not appear to be participating in that part of the discussion.

Anthony's agent, Calvin Andrews, said Anthony "did not knowingly participate in the production of this DVD and does not approve of its message or content."

In a written statement, Andrews said Anthony visited with people from his old neighborhood in Baltimore last summer.

"Carmelo has never denied the fact that he comes from a tough neighborhood. He does not condone some of the things that happen there and has worked very hard to rise above that difficult environment," Andrews said.

The DVD was shown just hours before the Nuggets were to play the Cleveland Cavaliers in Anthony's highly anticipated matchup with LeBron James.

Anthony did not meet with reporters before the game.

The DVD is the latest in a series of off-the-court distractions for the Nuggets star.

He got into a bar fight in New York in September, and police arrested two men on extortion charges for allegedly trying to sell him a videotape of the fight for $3 million.

Airport inspectors found marijuana in Anthony's backpack in October, but prosecutors dropped a drug charge after a friend said the marijuana was his and Anthony didn't know about it. The friend, James Cunningham of St. Louis, now faces a charge of possessing less than an ounce of marijuana.

Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik said he knew nothing about the video but said distractions like this can hurt the team.

"Let's put it this way: This is their job," Bzdelik said. "I'm speaking generally now. In order to perform their job well, you have to have a concentrated effort, 24-7, on your job. When something affects one player, it can trickle down and I think that's just a general statement for all of us, whether it be a coach, an assistant coach, or a player."

The DVD also shows a laughing Anthony saying his Olympic bronze medal "is in a lake somewhere," KMGH-TV in Denver reported, but it wasn't clear whether he was joking. :flipoff Anthony was unhappy with his playing time at the Athens Games, and U.S. coach Larry Brown called him lazy.

TMTTRIO
12-03-2004, 03:43 AM
The DVD also shows a laughing Anthony saying his Olympic bronze medal "is in a lake somewhere," KMGH-TV in Denver reported, but it wasn't clear whether he was joking. Anthony was unhappy with his playing time at the Athens Games, and U.S. coach Larry Brown called him lazy.

That's just plain sad.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-03-2004, 03:45 AM
Very disappointing.

boutons
12-03-2004, 04:04 AM
wow, AP carrying that story should mean widespread coverage. Just what the NBA needs after Ron Artest and friends.

T Park
12-03-2004, 04:07 AM
Another great and wonderfull addition to the NBA.

Yup, lets promote these sleezebag some more Mr Stern....

Along with the great AI and Olowakandi and Artest.

whottt
12-03-2004, 04:18 AM
And somewhere ducks weeps.

whottt
12-03-2004, 04:19 AM
wow, AP carrying that story should mean widespread coverage. Just what the NBA needs after Ron Artest and friends.

It's called freedom of the press? Besides...he needs his ass busted if he's this much of a punk.

iminlakerland
12-03-2004, 05:18 AM
Yup Trash.

ducks
12-03-2004, 08:46 AM
whoot if you recall I picked darko to be better then either on of them

if larry would play darko he may
darko deserves a shot

detroit has a front line
they should trade him or play him

IcemanCometh
12-03-2004, 09:30 AM
he stole tparks lunch money and broke his heart.

ZStomp
12-03-2004, 09:58 AM

You're putting Olowakandi's name with AI and Artest? WTF I don't think Olowaandi is 'advertised' like AI & Artest.

Rummpd
12-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Nice appropriate title = well done. Boy did Denver look sad and pathetic including him last night early at least. Sad for the NBA this marketing dream seems to have a future at some point down the road behind bars - something seems just not right about him. There have been several troubling stories about him in the press over the past year and a half etc. Therefore, I would take James/Wade right now forever and in a few years maybe even Marko over Carmelo = who I originally thought > James, Wade etc. as a winner.

The sage was wrong about this kid.

MadDoc

Kori Ellis
12-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Get back to the subject of the thread please.

MannyIsGod
12-03-2004, 02:33 PM

lmao, you realize that the AP carries EVERYTHING??

boutons
12-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Sir Charles after the game was typically unvarnished about the Miller/Bzdelik/Miller/Kiki, situaiton but TNT also showed Carmelo and others on the DEN bench in garbage time relaxed, smiling, apparently totally disconnected from the dogsh!t game they left on the court.

The "problem" with Charles is that he was a winner committed to his personal and team best, how he/team played was a matter of pride, respect for the game, his team, the other team. Charles, a huge fan favorite, with enough heart and hustle to career avg 12 RB/G with only 6ft5in, gets his Jersey retired and and HoF. Carmelo is soft, heartless, classless punk.

ducks
12-03-2004, 02:49 PM
it is time for a coaching change in denver

melo will get his wish

tekdragon
12-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Don't write off Carmelo just yet. He's young and immature. It's going to be a tough year for him, obviously. The true test of his character will be how he responds over the next year or two. All the bad pub might break him, or it might make him stronger. I'm putting my chips on the latter, but that's just speculation. He's definitely got the game to succeed, we'll just have to see if he has game above the shoulders. Nothing in the article was really that big a deal. It's not like he made the "hole in the head" comment. There's no way to know if there's any truth to the bronze medal comment yet. I'm guessing it's just a case of a young man talking shit, standing next to a young man talking shit. No big deal. That's all we do here, isn't it? Talk shit?

ALVAREZ6
12-03-2004, 03:18 PM

Don't diss AI

TMTTRIO
12-03-2004, 03:19 PM
I bet Manu's glad he's not playing over there with the cry baby and someone who's too immature to really care about winning.