PDA

View Full Version : Why It's Not Over

ducks
06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Why It's Not Over

The series resumes Tuesday night in Cleveland, the same place where just two weeks ago we saw the Cavs enter a Game 3 down 2-0.

They didn't look quite anywhere near as dead at that point against the Pistons as they do right now, but the important thing to remember is this:

They weren't dead then, and they're not dead now. They may be on life support with a pulse rate of 30 and a respirator hooked up to their lungs, but they ain't dead.

And the coroner really can't be put on full alert until Tuesday night has come and gone and we know whether this thing stands 3-0 or 2-1.

"It's hard to eliminate anybody in any round of the playoffs, and I think as each round continues it's progressively tougher," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said afterward. "We don't think about sweeps or anything like that. We always plan for a long, drawn-out seven-game series. If a series ends up not being that, that's great. But we plan for seven all the time."

Not to rain on the Spurs' parade (has it been tentatively scheduled for Friday yet?) too much, but a little history lesson is in order here.

It was only two years ago that the NBA Finals were this much of a mismatch after only two games, San Antonio having beaten the Detroit Pistons by 15 points in Game 1 and 21 points in Game 2. But when the series shifted to Detroit and the Pistons were surrounded by the comforts of home, they rallied in a huge way, winning Game 3 by 17 and Game 4 by 31, and it finally became a compelling series in Games 5, 6 and 7.

So although it seems like this series is done -- and boy did it look done after LeBron James went to the bench less than 3 minutes in Sunday and Tony Parker kept getting into the lane and converting (30 points on 13-for-20 shooting) _ no series is ever done after just two games.

You probably missed it if you turned this one off before the fourth quarter began, but Cleveland outscored San Antonio 30-14 over the final 12 minutes, cutting a deficit that was as large as 29 all the way down to eight behind nine points from Daniel Gibson and eight from James.

So there was a pulse beating there, no matter how faint it seemed in the first three quarters. And there was a surge by the Cavs, never mind it was the textbook definition of too little, too late.

So there may just be some life left in the team from Cleveland, and again, one game is only one game, which is why the NBA does not have a mercy rule. They're going to keep playing this thing until it's done.

"The bottom line," Cavs coach Mike Brown said, "is one game and one day at a time."

Nothing absurd about that. But let's wait and see if the Cavs are mentally tough enough to realize that a title is still within their reach, no matter how unlikely that prospect seemed Sunday night. This version of the NBA Finals will not be a laughing matter if Cleveland can do in 2007 what Detroit did in 2005.

-- Chris Sheridan in San Antonio

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...t&lid=tab2pos1

BUMP
06-11-2007, 04:55 PM
i didnt read a single word of that

its over congrats on #4

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Yea but we beat them by double digits both times and if it weren't for a little slacking off we would've won both games by 20+points. Cavs lost both of the 1st 2 games against Detroit by last second shots.

SequSpur
06-11-2007, 05:01 PM
:flipoff

It's over.

Obstructed_View
06-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Why it's not over: The Spurs have only won two games. This series could not be over too soon for me.

Extra Stout
06-11-2007, 05:09 PM
It's not over.

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili could all unexpectedly die in their sleep.

Bruno
06-11-2007, 05:09 PM
It's not over before 4 wins.
Saying that, Spurs are in a better position than Cavs : Spurs ae up 2-0 and they are the better team.

ClingingMars
06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
As SAS would say, IT'S OVAH!

Detroit > Cavs except when Flip is coaching.

-Mars

Marcus Bryant
06-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Cavs have to win 4 of the next 5 to take the series. The Spurs have to win 2 of those 5.

The only time the Cavs have been able to do anything is when the Spurs are coasting with TD and TP on the bench.

bdubya
06-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Why It's Not Over

Umm....'cause they've only played 2 games so far? (Just a guess....)

dknights411
06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
We're not the Pistons.

judaspriestess
06-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Well I'm hoping for a six game series because I cannot make it to SA next weekend for the festivities. Next week would be much better dang it :pctoss

SA210
06-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Salvitore awaits the Spurs.

Rynospursfan
06-11-2007, 05:28 PM
You guys that think this is over sound like the dallas fans did last year. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. This thing is at best only half way over.

Obstructed_View
06-11-2007, 05:35 PM
For those that don't live up here in Dallas, this time last year the radio stations were talking about wrapping up the championship before the weekend and having the parade by Tuesday.

Whups.

ForeignFan
06-11-2007, 05:43 PM
This thing is at best only half way over.

Well, considering Spurs won two games and need to win two more, your statement is ... true :lol

Obstructed_View
06-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Well, considering Spurs won two games and need to win two more, your statement is ... true :lol
At best it's halfway over. At worst the Cavs have to win four so it's not halfway over.

Dirk Nowitzki
06-11-2007, 06:41 PM
For those that don't live up here in Dallas, this time last year the radio stations were talking about wrapping up the championship before the weekend and having the parade by Tuesday.

Whups.

Karma is a bitch. MARK MY WORDS!! THE CAVS WILL WIN THE NEXT 3 GAMES BY SUNDAY NIGHT AND THEY WILL BE UP 3-2 HEADING BACK TO THAT BARN OF A STADIUM!! I PROMISE YOU THAT WILL HAPPEN! :clap :clap

Obstructed_View
06-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Karma is a bitch. MARK MY WORDS!! THE CAVS WILL WIN THE NEXT 3 GAMES BY SUNDAY NIGHT AND THEY WILL BE UP 3-2 HEADING BACK TO THAT BARN OF A STADIUM!! I PROMISE YOU THAT WILL HAPPEN! :clap :clap
Karma is a bitch to you, which is why the Spurs will win.

Fast Dunk
06-11-2007, 06:48 PM
This series is far from over...

Don't fool yourselves.

Didn't you learn your lesson in 2005?

Fast Dunk
06-11-2007, 06:49 PM

Yep!

Obstructed_View
06-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Don't fool yourselves.

I'm sure the Spurs did. It doesn't exactly reinforce your argument.

ChumpDumper
06-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Didn't you and Dirk guarantee Cleveland wins in both games 1 and 2?

DieMrBond
06-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I dont get this argument with the whole, the cavs game back against the pistons when being down 0-2... werent those games lost by 1 or 2 points, and really close the entire time and not a blowout in the first quarter?

It's hardly the same...

TampaDude
06-11-2007, 08:35 PM

Don't fool yourselves.

Except for two things....

2007 Spurs > 2005 Spurs

2005 Pistons >>>>> 2007 Cavs

ClingingMars
06-11-2007, 08:38 PM
IT'S OVER

http://www.forumspile.com/Thread-End_of.gif

-Mars

TampaDude
06-11-2007, 08:54 PM
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/300px-Stephen_A_Smith.jpg
Quite frankly...IT'S OVAH!!! :lol

Russ
06-11-2007, 08:59 PM
All of the same arguments could have been made in favor of Utah. They were down 2-0 to Houston (a team probably as good as this year's Detroit) and came back, etc., etc.

The problem is, like Utah, Cleveland is a young, inexperienced team that exceeded expectations to get this far -- the Spurs destroy young teams. Period. :)

Pop sent a signal with a minute left in Game 2 when he pulled the starters. It was a victory lap (although he would never acknowledge that, even to them.)

He was telling the crowd to give the big three one last big ovation as they left the game. The unspoken message was that they won't be back this year to be saluted by the fans -- at least not in the heat of battle.

Stephen A.Smith
06-11-2007, 09:59 PM
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/300px-Stephen_A_Smith.jpg
Quite frankly...IT'S OVAH!!! :lol

now im not hatin' on the QUICKEN LOANS ARENA or anything, but instead of wasting their time on Tuesday by continuing this series, they should find a good time slot for a concert or something. maybe the Rolling Stones, Lynrd Skynrd, or even Ozzy for that matter, cause Ladies and Gentlemen QUITE FRANKLY

IT'S OVA!

for you Cleveland faithful, just save yourself some time right now. i hear the Indians are playing some good baseball, i know da Browns are headed in the right direction with my man Brady Quinn, Ohio State is destined for big things next year. i hope they made some Eastern Conference T-shirts for you guys, cause DIS IS AS FAR AS YOU GONNA GO!

dav4463
06-11-2007, 10:44 PM
You guys that think this is over sound like the dallas fans did last year. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. This thing is at best only half way over.

Exactly right. Mavs fans had it won and the team planned the infamous parade while Cuban went on Letterman. Thanks for the reality check. There are still two games to be won and the fourth quarter of game two did not inspire me very much.

caŽlo
06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
if we go 3-0 then its over.

but right now.. everythings possible