PDA

View Full Version : P.J. Carlesimo: "One moment in time does not define me"

ducks
06-11-2007, 05:03 PM
P.J. Carlesimo: "One moment in time does not define me"

By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter

SAN ANTONIO -- To listen to San Antonio assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo, it's as if Golden State, Latrell Sprewell and the choking incident that derailed his professional career never happened.

When Carlesimo, a possible candidate to be the Sonics' coach, talks about his NBA coaching experience, he refers to his three-year stint with Portland. Always Portland.

Golden State gets mentioned only when he's asked about it. And when he's asked about Golden State, Carlesimo has a well-rehearsed reply that he gives partly because it seems he has been asked about the 1997 incident a million times.

"It is what it is," he said recently. "Not to sound trite or anything, but everybody knows the history. One moment in time does not define me. I won't let it. I've been doing this for 25 years and to define anyone, good or bad, on one moment in their life wouldn't be fair."

So what's fair for Carlesimo? Does five years and possibly three NBA championships with the Spurs erase his failures in Golden State, where he compiled a 46-113 record and his fiery demeanor caused a mini-mutiny among players?

"I don't know if he's concerned with erasing the past and I don't think that's his responsibility," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "All I know is that since P.J. has been a part of our organization, he's been an integral part of our success. He's a bright man. His relationships with our players is second to none."

Does Carlesimo want to coach again? Absolutely.

Has he been contacted by the Sonics or Sacramento Kings? Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean there's not mutual interest.

"It's real easy to not focus on it because we've got games to play, but if they're interested when we're done, then great," Carlesimo said. "Out of respect for this organization and Pop [Spurs coach Gregg Popovich], I won't talk to another team until we're finished. They've been good to me here. That's not a team thing as much as it's my thing."

Being associated with the Spurs has its advantages. In the past three years, as many as four coaches and front-office personnel have landed with other teams in high-ranking positions.

"That's as much organizational as the Xs and Os," Carlesimo said. "I don't think we're doing cutting-edge basketball stuff that hasn't been done before. It's basketball. It's more how this franchise is set up, the organization and the emphasis on character and some of the intangibles. I think that's what people are taking from here."

Being with the Spurs also has its disadvantages.

"When there's five or six openings out there then you're feeling pretty good, but as they start to get filled you get a little worried," Carlesimo said. "But there's nothing you can do about that. Hopefully I get another chance, but I have one of the best jobs in the league right now. We'll see what happens."

Carlesimo understands that he's being linked to the Sonics' opening because former Spurs assistant general manager Sam Presti was hired to be Seattle's GM. Still, the speculation is premature, he said.

"Sam has a great opportunity and he's going to do a great job," Carlesimo said. "Him and Clay [Sonics owner Clay Bennett] will figure out what kind of guy they're looking for."

To be clear, Carlesimo has yet to receive any offers to become an NBA head coach again, but if he did, he said he wouldn't take just any job. Not anymore. Maybe he would have several years ago, but not now. Not after watching how Popovich enjoys autonomy to build his vision in San Antonio.

"The match will either be right or it won't," he said. "If not, I got a great job here. If it works out, then it will be great and I'll be happy."

Anyone wondering if Carlesimo is still the same fiery coach should watch him during the NBA Finals. Five years as a Spurs assistant hasn't quelled his passion. He's as loud and explosive as ever. The veins bulge in his neck, his eyebrows slope downward and he cups his hands around his mouth when he yells from the bench.

"P.J. has got nothing on Pop, but he's close," Spurs forward Robert Horry said. "Those two, they're old-school coaches. They're cut from the same cloth. They get after you no matter if you're the best or worst player."

Five years sitting next to Popovich have taught him that his style can be effective.

"There's people that see Pop going nuts sometimes and they don't see him pat a guy on the back and doing the other side of it," Carlesimo said. "That was my perception and that still is my perception. I believe that players want to be pushed. They want to be disciplined, but you have to treat different players in different ways. That's one of the biggest lessons I learned here."

Percy Allen: 206-464-2278 or [email protected]
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2003742812&zsection_id=2003016528&slug=soni11&date=20070611

Rynospursfan
06-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't see PJ taking the Seattle job even if it is offered. He has too good of a situation in SA to leave for the #2 draft pick and to re-unite with Presti.

ploto
06-11-2007, 05:47 PM
PJ will never find a situation where he has the kind of autonomy that Pop has. If that is the criteria, then he will never be a head coach again in the NBA.

michaelwcho
06-11-2007, 06:17 PM
If you think about it, most coaching openings in the NBA suck! Usually when a coach is fired, it's a bad team--there are other problems. Once inawhile you'll get one of those "can't get over the hump" firings, but I don't think PJ Carlisimo is exactly the type of person you think about if you're the Suns and you want someone to take Steve Nash to the finals.

If he wants a head coaching gig, and I would assume they all do, it might be something like the Bobcats.

Or heck, maybe the Cavs in a year or two. Brown doesn't look like much so far.

dbreiden83080
06-11-2007, 08:08 PM
PJ will never find a situation where he has the kind of autonomy that Pop has. If that is the criteria, then he will never be a head coach again in the NBA.

Biggest reason Pop is still in SA is he and Duncan clicked right away. They are very close and had Pop's hard ass style wore on Duncan over the years the Spurs certainly would have chose Duncan over Pop. Duncan's willingness to be coached and not step out of line is a big factor in Pop's tenure with the Spurs.

lordswing
06-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Give Flip one more year, and if the Pistons don't make the Finals, I'm sure he'll be fired, thus creating an opening for P.J.

dbreiden83080
06-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Give Flip one more year, and if the Pistons don't make the Finals, I'm sure he'll be fired, thus creating an opening for P.J.

Rasheed Wallace had better be gone by then. Those two would be as bad a mix as i can think of.

Marcus Bryant
06-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Why have the Suns not let D'Antoni go?

Not that I am complaining...

timvp
06-11-2007, 10:58 PM
"Out of respect for this organization and Pop [Spurs coach Gregg Popovich], I won't talk to another team until we're finished. They've been good to me here."

Class move :tu

T Park
06-11-2007, 11:02 PM
quite the contrary of Presti.