PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Master Plan

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Who are we hoping to sign in 2008 when we have all of that cap room? There really aren't going to be too many big names available. Here is what I found.

Kevin Garnett - player option
- While I love the idea of picking him up, the guy is going to be over 30 himself at that point. We probably are hoping to sign somebody for the future and not simply a few good years.

Dwight Howard - Restricted free agent
- This is probably the ideal signing for the Spurs. Howard will be a highly competant player that would be absolutely vicious alongside Tim Duncan. But with Orlando on the up and up it is unclear whether Howard will even be interested in leaving. Also, the Magic will be able to extend his contract well before the Spurs can even make a bid.

Emeka Okafor - Restricted free agent
- Much like the 04 draft, Okafor is probably the runner up to Howard. Hes probably not going to be as good of a player, but hes a beast none the less. The Bobcats don't look like they're going to be in a position to contend anytime soon and Emeka might enjoy the prospect of a few good years with Timmy and then a future as the face of a franchise. But again, Charlotte can extend him well before the Spurs have a shot at him.

Kevin Garnett is probably the easiest to obtain of this list, but hes also a player for the short-term and won't be as long-lasting as Howard. Who do we sign?

Now, we could always use our cap room to facilitate a sign and trade as well...which means that lots of other options open up. But those 3 are the only real options via free agency.

fuckespn
06-11-2007, 07:09 PM
If we got Dwight Howard no lie I would cream my pants, not in a gay way, just out of excitement

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 07:09 PM
If we got Dwight Howard no lie I would cream my pants, not in a gay way, just out of excitement

I think Howard is the obvious first choice of this crew.

Mr. Body
06-11-2007, 07:17 PM
I believe Elton Brand has a player option that summer, too.

exstatic
06-11-2007, 07:22 PM
I think Howard or Okafor are pipe dreams. Howard WILL be extended this summer, Okafor probably not. Charlotte will have the option to match in 2008, though.

I think one of the Josh's in ATL could be pilfered.

Extra Stout
06-11-2007, 07:23 PM
The Spurs are not going to sign a big-name free agent in 2008, nor should they try to do so.

They should use the flexibility created by multiple expiring contracts to acquire role players who can replace those on the current roster fading due to age, or soon to do so, such as:

Robert Horry
Brent Barry
Michael Finley
Bruce Bowen

They already have arguably the best nucleus in the league.

The kind of players I would hope for, would be in the class of a Primo Brezec or Mickael Pietrus.

Mr. Body
06-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, the big players are hugely unlikely. We won't have a full roster and will need to get other players.

The real key to cap room is the ability to absorb salary outright, so we could pry away a moderate-priced younger player or two.

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 07:30 PM
You're right, I believe that Elton Brand has an option as well as both of the Joshs in Atlanta. For that matter, Antawn Jamison should be available.

greens
06-11-2007, 08:14 PM
The Spurs are not going to sign a big-name free agent in 2008, nor should they try to do so.

They should use the flexibility created by multiple expiring contracts to acquire role players who can replace those on the current roster fading due to age, or soon to do so, such as:

Robert Horry
Brent Barry
Michael Finley
Bruce Bowen

The kind of players I would hope for, would be in the class of a Primo Brezec or Mickael Pietrus.

Still don't wanna give up Bruce, Robert, or Mike.

Bruce=best defensive player in the league...period. Plus, the dude agreed to like three paycuts..so that the Spurs were able to sign Manu, etc...back then. It would be a shame to trade him. And he had a big shot three in Game 5 of Suns/Spurs. (those corner threes are a bonus...)
Robert=big shots, and the recent defensive performance, blocks...etc...and I want him to retire a Spur!
Mike=the dude was awesome in the Denver series, had a playoff high of 3 pointers! Not to mention good in other aspects.

We've got Beno, Brent, possibly Elson, Jackie Butler, Matt Bonner, James White, Eric Williams, etc...all those players...we can trade, honestly.

ClingingMars
06-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Keep Bowen for sure.

-Mars

bigdog
06-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Still don't wanna give up Bruce, Robert, or Mike.

Bruce=best defensive player in the league...period. Plus, the dude agreed to like three paycuts..so that the Spurs were able to sign Manu, etc...back then. It would be a shame to trade him. And he had a big shot three in Game 5 of Suns/Spurs. (those corner threes are a bonus...)
Robert=big shots, and the recent defensive performance, blocks...etc...and I want him to retire a Spur!
Mike=the dude was awesome in the Denver series, had a playoff high of 3 pointers! Not to mention good in other aspects.

We've got Beno, Brent, possibly Elson, Jackie Butler, Matt Bonner, James White, Eric Williams, etc...all those players...we can trade, honestly.

actually we traded Eric Williams

johngateswhiteley
06-11-2007, 08:26 PM
this thread is funny...

Kobulingam
06-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Let me reiterate:

Barry better not be a fucking spur come next fucking season.

TampaDude
06-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Keep Bowen for sure.

-Mars

Hell yeah...for defense, Bowen >>>>> all :toast

Sam
06-11-2007, 08:42 PM

Robert Horry
Brent Barry
Michael Finley
Bruce Bowen

They are keeping Horry and Bowen and resigning Bonner. Possible sign and trades with Barry.

greens
06-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Keep Bowen for sure.

-Mars

I totally agree...I don't get why people keep putting him in the trade scenarios!

I'd say keep the core four players at the very least: Tony/Manu/Tim/Bruce.

That's the heart of the team, in my view.

And whoops about Eric Williams...I was just looking at this site, with the contracts, and his name is still on it:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/salaries/spurs.html

I guess it hasn't been updated...

greens
06-11-2007, 08:46 PM
They are keeping Horry and Bowen and resigning Bonner. Possible sign and trades with Barry.

I heard the Horry is a free agent this summer...and doesn't Bowen have a team option or something like that?

Anyway, I want the Spurs to keep both Horry and Bowen. Those guys are great.

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 08:48 PM
This thread wasn't intended to be about what we do THIS offseason...but more importantly TWO offseasons from now.

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 08:48 PM
I heard the Horry is a free agent this summer...and doesn't Bowen have a team option or something like that?

Anyway, I want the Spurs to keep both Horry and Bowen. Those guys are great.

Horry is under contract for next year but he could always retire and therefore void that last year. Horry won't be traded.

Bowen has a team option this year and there is no way they don't pick it up.

greens
06-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Horry is under contract for next year but he could always retire and therefore void that last year. Horry won't be traded.

Bowen has a team option this year and there is no way they don't pick it up.

You're right, I found another site:
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

It is indeed a team option for Bowen for this year...Let's hope the Spurs pick it up! They won't do anything crazy and not pick it up, right?

I don't get then why Horry was talking about hoping to stay in San Antonio this year, when it says he has a contract...

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Unless Bowen wants to play in this league until hes like 47 then I doubt he'll ever leave the Spurs. He has a place on this team as long as hes effective. But seeing as he just had another kid I imagine he'll want to retire soon enough and be with his children rather than at 41 road games (plus playoffs) a year.

greens
06-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Unless Bowen wants to play in this league until hes like 47 then I doubt he'll ever leave the Spurs. He has a place on this team as long as hes effective. But seeing as he just had another kid I imagine he'll want to retire soon enough and be with his children rather than at 41 road games (plus playoffs) a year.

I'm sure he'd want to play for two more years. And, whenever he wants to retire, then he should. But I just don't think it would ever be right to trade him...so I'm all for him choosing whatever he wants to do, play or retire. As long as he is not traded...he deserves respect from the Spurs organization...The guy has done so much for the Spurs.

But yeah, I realize this is a thread for 08. It's just too far to think about the future. No one knows how any player will play in a year or two. We can easily predict for this season coming up. But for two years in advance, that's a bit of a stretch. We'll see...though.

Anyone have any thoughts on what will happen to Oberto and Fin, since they both have player options for this season?

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 09:19 PM
But yeah, I realize this is a thread for 08. It's just too far to think about the future. No one knows how any player will play in a year or two. We can easily predict for this season coming up. But for two years in advance, that's a bit of a stretch. We'll see...though.

Thats the thing. I don't want to pick up that player that just had a "breakout" season. Chances are that he won't be able to reproduce it. Mike James didn't. Boris Diaw didn't. Who is to say that the "next best thing" will be able to replicate that? If we have big money we better be sure this guy is the real deal. Otherwise we're locked into a long financial agreement that might be foolhardy (see Nazr Mohammed in Detroit, or Marko Jaric in Minnesota).

greens
06-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Thats the thing. I don't want to pick up that player that just had a "breakout" season. Chances are that he won't be able to reproduce it. Mike James didn't. Boris Diaw didn't. Who is to say that the "next best thing" will be able to replicate that? If we have big money we better be sure this guy is the real deal. Otherwise we're locked into a long financial agreement that might be foolhardy (see Nazr Mohammed in Detroit, or Marko Jaric in Minnesota).

Very true. We've gotta be careful with our choices. I remember Rasho's contract did not help us much, either. The Spurs were stuck with it until finally they were able to get rid of it. I hope it won't be a disaster like this the next time the Spurs decided to sign someone...

Extra Stout
06-11-2007, 10:20 PM
The Spurs don't need to jettison Bowen, but they are overdue for finding a replacement to groom.

2centsworth
06-11-2007, 10:39 PM

Robert Horry
Brent Barry
Michael Finley
Bruce Bowen

I'm a huge Gino fan, but he only has 2 to 3 years left in him. He's already turning into more of a jumpshooter.

Spurs16212
06-11-2007, 10:46 PM
James White will need a new contract.....

Spurs16212
06-11-2007, 10:47 PM
KG will be a good pick up as well......

makedamnsure
06-12-2007, 01:55 AM
Howard would be insane to get...

TDMVPDPOY
06-12-2007, 02:16 AM
howard just offer him max and see magic counter and see them financially unstable for the future with no prospects
omeka his not known to be offensive stopper, but we need someone to play against the 07 draft class big men
KG give him a short deal, is he willing to accept to play small role for chance to win a ring

whottt
06-12-2007, 02:35 AM
I've got an idea...

Why don't we sign KG, Horward and Okafor? Hell, might as well get Kobe while we are at it. This stuff is really pretty simple.

TDMVPDPOY
06-12-2007, 02:39 AM
I've got an idea...

Why don't we sign KG, Horward and Okafor? Hell, might as well get Kobe while we are at it. This stuff is really pretty simple.

i can see it workn out

KG signs for veteran
throw max at howard and oka4
gino and duncans contraxt expires teh following year, resign them to vet min
then wtf is next on our hitlist?

rayray2k8
06-12-2007, 03:02 AM
What the hell?
Feels like the season ended with all these wet dreams being thrown around.
Get real.

Supergirl
06-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Spurs main needs are a back up PG (Vaughn's not getting any younger, and I think Pop has given up on Beno) and a long 3. But we're not going to get that in a big name signing. Our best bet is to pull off another draft steal, or look to sign someone who's available for the midlevel exception.

Our core of Duncan, Manu, and Parker is solid for another few years. Finley should also be with us at least another 1-3 years, at least as a role player if not as a starter.

Bowen has at least another 1-3 years in him, given how fit and strong he's proven himself to be. I think the hope is to mold White into his successor.

Oberto and Elson give us depth at center for the next 1-2 years anyway. If Ely can come in and be a good fit, and if Horry decides to stay another year, we're all set at the 4/5 position.

sa_butta
06-12-2007, 09:06 AM
I've got an idea...

Why don't we sign KG, Horward and Okafor? Hell, might as well get Kobe while we are at it. This stuff is really pretty simple.Look no further than the Spurs when selecting the All-Star roster.

Soul_Patch
06-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Horry needs to retire this year. He still has great flashes of brilliance, but is not the contributor we are going to need to stay competitive. I love the guy, and am so glad he was here and helped us when we needed him, but its time for him to go get a seat along side david as a spectator.

Darkwaters
06-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Spurs main needs are a back up PG (Vaughn's not getting any younger, and I think Pop has given up on Beno) and a long 3. But we're not going to get that in a big name signing. Our best bet is to pull off another draft steal, or look to sign someone who's available for the midlevel exception.

Our core of Duncan, Manu, and Parker is solid for another few years. Finley should also be with us at least another 1-3 years, at least as a role player if not as a starter.

Bowen has at least another 1-3 years in him, given how fit and strong he's proven himself to be. I think the hope is to mold White into his successor.

Oberto and Elson give us depth at center for the next 1-2 years anyway. If Ely can come in and be a good fit, and if Horry decides to stay another year, we're all set at the 4/5 position.

Do you not even read the title of the thread? This is the 2008 master plan. Not this offseason...but the NEXT one.

Extra Stout
06-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Do you not even read the title of the thread? This is the 2008 master plan. Not this offseason...but the NEXT one.
The Spurs have as much flexibility this offseason, because of all the expiring contracts, as they do next offseason, when the contracts actually expire.

So, a thread title that would more accurately demonstrate an apprehension of the situation would be "2007-2008 Master Plan."

In any event, dreams of superstars joining the Spurs as free agents are silly.