PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota (9-5) at Phoenix (13-2)

ducks
12-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Now the Phoenix Suns can further prove just how good they really are.

Owners of the league's best record, the Suns face a team considered to be a top title contender as they try to stretch their win streak to 10 games in a matchup with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Following its ninth win in a row, 120-101 over Cleveland on Wednesday, at least one NBA superstar was convinced Phoenix is better than any other team in the league despite having exceeded expectations so far.

``By far, they are the best team in the NBA right now,'' Cavaliers star LeBron James said. ``Just their ability to score, that's an amazing system that their coach has got them in.''

This week presented Phoenix with some tough challenges, facing above-.500 opponents in Utah and Cleveland, but taking on Minnesota should be its biggest test.

ADVERTISEMENT
click here
The Timberwolves reached the Western Conference finals last season and they may have turned things around after a slow start by winning three straight. That run includes handing Sacramento, also among the West's elite teams, its first home loss of the season on Sunday.

Minnesota's win streak, however, doesn't compare to Phoenix's nine-game run -- the team's longest since winning 10 straight during the 1997-98 season.

``I still don't think we've done nothing yet,'' Suns guard Joe Johnson said. ``Don't get me wrong. It's fun to win. But it's a long, long season. There's a lot ahead of us and a lot more room for improvement.''

Phoenix is looking to match the best start in franchise history, 14-2 in 1980-81. The Suns didn't reach 13 wins last season until Jan. 15, 2004, in their 39th game.

The featured matchup Friday will be emerging Suns star Amare Stoudemire, second in the league at 25.9 points per game, taking on Kevin Garnett. The reigning league MVP has failed to record a double-double only once in 14 games.

Another good battle should be at point guard with Minnesota's Sam Cassell, who has scored 51 points in the last two games, facing league assists leader Steve Nash.

While Nash has been outstanding all season, fellow offseason acquisition Quentin Richardson has shaken off his slow start. Richardson scored 10.6 points per game on 29 percent shooting through his first 10 games in a Phoenix uniform, but over the last four, he's averaged 20 points while shooting 54 percent.

``To be honest, I knew we'd do better than I'd been doing, but I didn't imagine that we'd start out 13-2,'' Richardson said, referring to poor starts he endured in four seasons with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Cassell had 26 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists Wednesday as the Timberwolves rallied in the fourth quarter to beat Golden State 107-99.

``We pride ourselves in executing down the stretch, and that's what we did tonight,'' Cassell said.

ducks
12-03-2004, 11:32 PM
wolves won