View Full Version : Holt receives praise from fellow investors

ducks
06-12-2007, 08:53 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...k.32ef345.html

Holt receives praise from fellow investors

Web Posted: 06/11/2007 11:34 PM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News

Spurs chairman Peter Holt, much like Tim Duncan, never imagined that his team would be playing for a fourth NBA title.
With that in mind, Holt says he's trying as much as possible to enjoy the moment this time around.

"We have been blessed," Holt said. "That's what I like about dealing with the guys who are doing this. There is nobody here taking this for granted. We get it. That's what I've always enjoyed about Pop (coach Gregg Popovich) and Tim and Tony (Parker) and Manu (Ginobili). We understand how many variables you don't control and that to get here is tough."

The Spurs have prospered under Holt's leadership, a fact the team's other investors appreciate.

"He's shown tremendous leadership," investor Charlie Amato said. "He's a great guy. He's never shoved anything down our throats. He and (Holt's wife) Julianna have control, but they treated all of us as equal partners, and I've always been very appreciative of that. There is not an arrogant bone in their bodies."

Asked for an example of Holt's down-to-earth ways, Amato said, "When we are together, he introduces me as a partner, and what an honor that is coming from Peter Holt. He treats everyone with the utmost respect."

Holt says he's fond of all his fellow investors.

"We like our partnership," he said. "We've got 20 member, and it's a good group. David (Robinson) came in a couple of years ago. It makes it fun. It makes it fun to be a part of."

Fourth-quarter blues: The Spurs shouldn't have been too surprised by Cleveland's 30-point fourth quarter Sunday.

The Cavaliers have hurt the Spurs in the fourth quarter of all four meetings this season, averaging 30.3 points to the Spurs' 22.

"They've scored somewhere between 25 and 30 every fourth quarter," Popovich said. "That was disappointing."

The Cavaliers actually scored 38 in the fourth quarter of their Jan. 2 victory in Cleveland. It was the most the Spurs allowed in any quarter this season.

The problem?

"They've done it four times in a row," Popovich said. "So obviously I haven't figured it out yet."

Three shining stars: Parker and Ginobili have both said how it can be difficult for both of them and Duncan to have big scoring games on the same night.

That wasn't the case Sunday, when the three each scored at least 23 points.

It was the fifth time this season all three players reached 20 points in the same game. Parker said they have had an easier time finding their rhythm during the playoffs, possibly because Ginobili is coming off the bench.

"He gets a lot of plays when me and Timmy are sitting down," Parker said. "I think everybody just gets offense. I don't know why. We're not doing anything special."

Teasing time: The Spurs took pleasure in needling Robert Horry about his collision with Popovich on Sunday.

"I think it was a playing-time thing, honestly," Duncan said. "I'm not really sure. Maybe he was thinking he's the defensive player of the year, diving for a ball he has no chance at."

Moving up: After recording five blocks in Game 2, Horry ranks fifth all-time in the postseason with 220, trailing Shaquille O'Neal (433), Duncan (376), Dikembe Mutombo (238) and Ben Wallace (232).