PDA

View Full Version : Big 3 in good company

Jimcs50
06-12-2007, 09:10 AM
TP, TD and Manu are averaging 20 pt/game. This is the first time in 20 years that 3 teammates have done that in the Finals. Last threesome to do so? Bird McHale, and Parrish in 1987 along with Worthy Kareem and Magic, also in 87.

Yet this team is not "sexy" and are boring.

:rolleyes

texasqb2
06-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I think the boring title is quickly fading....you never see any more media articles talking about how boring they are, they all say how exciting Spur basketball is right now. I also like Sean Elliott's column today talking about how the success of LeBron and how he is in the finals is making people tune in and realize just how exciting this Spur team is.

RubiconTX
06-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Go! Spurs! Go!

degenerate_gambler
06-12-2007, 09:15 AM
that's a damn exclusive club to belong to.

props to the boys as they roll on to their 4th ring..

sa_butta
06-12-2007, 09:17 AM
this has got to be one of the most exciting Spurs teams we have ever had. Anybody who calls us boring is just not watching the games.

Supreme_Being
06-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I honestly don't find the Spurs boring eversince.

tlongII
06-12-2007, 09:21 AM
The Spurs are boring. Why do you think the TV ratings are so low?

Jimcs50
06-12-2007, 09:23 AM
I think the boring title is quickly fading....you never see any more media articles talking about how boring they are, they all say how exciting Spur basketball is right now. I also like Sean Elliott's column today talking about how the success of LeBron and how he is in the finals is making people tune in and realize just how exciting this Spur team is.

Just this morning, Mike and Mike called them boring when they were interviewing Mike Wilbon, when asking why nobody watches this team. Wilbon went on to say that the Spurs were 22nd in the league in road attendence even behind the Washington Wizzards. He blames Tim Duncan's lack of charisma and he continued shunning of media and of Madison Ave. He said Manu and Parker are very "sexy" and marketable, but since TD is the leader, the Spurs take on his personality. I think he nailed it right there. If TD had Magic's smile, the Spurs would be off the charts in popularity.

Too bad

Jimcs50
06-12-2007, 09:24 AM
this has got to be one of the most exciting Spurs teams we have ever had. Anybody who calls us boring is just not watching the games.

Correct, and they are imbeciles

sa_butta
06-12-2007, 09:25 AM
The Spurs are boring. Why do you think the TV ratings are so low?Because we are not in a major US market. BTW, how many Spurs fans really care about how many other people watch?

sa_butta
06-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Just this morning, Mike and Mike called them boring when they were interviewing Mike Wilbon, when asking why nobody watches this team. Wilbon went on to say that the Spurs were 22nd in the league in road attendence even behind the Washington Wizzards. He blames Tim Duncan's lack of charisma and he continued shunning of media and of Madison Ave. He said Manu and Parker are very "sexy" and marketable, but since TD is the leader, the Spurs take on his personality. I think he nailed it right there. If TD had Magic's smile, the Spurs would be off the charts in popularity.

Too badpopularity doesnt win Championships. If the road attendance was last in the league that is just fine with me, just less crowd noise we have to deal with.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I think the low ratings are good for Spurs fans. It's good fodder for conspiracy theories whenever we lose a close game. Can you imagine if we were stuck in a position like Suns fans, knowing that you lost to an opponent that no commissioner in his right mind would try to rig a series for?

degenerate_gambler
06-12-2007, 09:33 AM

why do you think we give a rat's ass about TV ratings?

i don't work for or have a vested interest in ABC/ESPN other than my shit better be in HD.

RubiconTX
06-12-2007, 09:34 AM
I think when your a Spurs fan you don't see them as boring, just fundamentally sound. For the other folks who watch the NBA, they see them as boring because they tend to loose to them a lot.

A friend here at work is a Dallas M fan and thats all he keeps talking about! Spurs are boring this and boring that! He is just furious that his team got eliminated in the first round!

michaelwcho
06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
why do you think we give a rat's ass about TV ratings?

i don't work for or have a vested interest in ABC/ESPN other than my shit better be in HD.

Exactly--what is it to us if we don't draw ratings? We're not making money off of advertising. Heck, if the NBA were a little less popular maybe TNT could get the WCF and Finals and we wouldn't have to put up with the damn seasick-cam.

twentyone
06-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Speaking seasick cam, isn't there some kind of crusade we can start decrying the barf-o-vision camera? i noticed they tried to raise the level of the camera to get better height but it still felt like I was on a boat.

kskonn
06-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Exactly--what is it to us if we don't draw ratings? We're not making money off of advertising. Heck, if the NBA were a little less popular maybe TNT could get the WCF and Finals and we wouldn't have to put up with the damn seasick-cam.

Personally I think the ratings would be better if the TNT crew was covering the Finals. People enjoy barkley and crew more than anyone on ABC/ESPN plus I think that TNT does a good job advertising for the game, I have not seen much advertising by ABC or ESPN for this series.

Supergirl
06-12-2007, 09:51 AM

link? I'd like to read that article.

MajorMike
06-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Do you watch TV shows when you already know the ending?

manubili
06-12-2007, 10:04 AM
It's very boring not to have your team at the finals. Yep.

MajorMike
06-12-2007, 10:12 AM
TP, TD and Manu are averaging 20 pt/game. This is the first time in 20 years that 3 teammates have done that in the Finals. Last threesome to do so? Bird McHale, and Parrish in 1987 along with Worthy Kareem and Magic, also in 87.

Worthy , Kareem and Magic won 3 Rings (85, 87, 88) and had one other Finals show in 89, when they were swept by the Pistons.

Larry Legend, McHale and the Chief won 3 Rings (81, 84, 86-best NBA team in history) and lost in the 85 and 87 Finals.

Timmy, Tony and Manu have 3 Rings. If they win a 4th, they will become the most decorated Triad.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Worthy , Kareem and Magic won 3 Rings (85, 87, 88) and had one other Finals show in 89, when they were swept by the Pistons.

Larry Legend, McHale and the Chief won 3 Rings (81, 84, 86-best NBA team in history) and lost in the 85 and 87 Finals.

Timmy, Tony and Manu have 3 Rings. If they win a 4th, they will become the most decorated Triad.
Actually Tim has 3, but Tony and Manu still only have the 2. But you are absolutely right. If they win a championship they deserve to be mentioned as an all time great trio. And if they can win this year and one or two more after that? Greatest ever?

td4mvp21
06-12-2007, 10:15 AM

Tony and Manu only have 2 rings.

hater
06-12-2007, 10:16 AM

there was a poll asking if SPurs were boring on ESPN a couple of days ago. anybody knows what the final results were. I beleive it was 60% not boring.

MajorMike
06-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Ah, touche... good call.

I guess you will at the very least have to put them on level ground if the win this one?

MrChug
06-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Personally I think the ratings would be better if the TNT crew was covering the Finals.

I agree 101%. Greg Anthony, Tim Legler, and SAS are tools, and this aint no woodshop.

BigBeezie
06-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Because we are not in a major US market. BTW, how many Spurs fans really care about how many other people watch?

I really don't care. I root for a team because I enjoy watching them....not because I care what other people like about them.

nkdlunch
06-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Personally I think the ratings would be better if the TNT crew was covering the Finals.

I agree 101%. Greg Anthony, Tim Legler, and SAS are tools, and this aint no woodshop.

don't forget wilbon. he fucking sucks!

Jimcs50
06-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Greg Anthony has been saying nothing but great things about the Spurs for the last 3 years. I like Greg Anthony just fine. He also said that the Spurs were very sexy, when he was responding to the criticism of the Spurs not being sexy and boring. If you remember, Greg was know for great defense.

dknights411
06-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Why do people want to turn the NBA into a personality contest? Ratings and attendence don't mean jack. Wins and losses do.

Jimcs50
06-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Why do people want to turn the NBA into a personality contest? Ratings and attendence don't mean jack. Wins and losses do.

Alas, this is the way Americans think nowadays. Do we put people on the front page and on magizine covers if they work tirelessly to find cures for diseases and solutions for global warming and prevention for Malaria in Africa(Nothing but Nets-Rick Reily)? No. We put Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan and their drunken and drug induced escapades on the covers and front pages.

People doing things the right way is boring and Americans could care less about those people, they want chest bumping, primal screaming, pointing at oneself, lifting their jerseys and such whenever an athlete does his his job(dunks a ball, makes a tackle, blocks a shot)

The Spurs will never do that crap, so they will never be popular. They can win 4 more championships and still nobody would care but us.

itzsoweezee
06-12-2007, 01:02 PM
has more than one player ever won finals mvp?

Jimcs50
06-12-2007, 01:05 PM
has more than one player ever won finals mvp?

No, but there can be a first time.

:)

miss paxton
06-12-2007, 01:20 PM
No, but there can be a first time.

:)

Aren't there an odd number of voters for Finals MVP? I seem to remember hearing that, which should preclude co-MVPs, although I suppose a majority of voters could write in two names.

Jimcs50, I also heard Wilbon this morning and thought his comments were interesting, particularly that the Spurs' marketing department is somewhat at odds with Duncan in terms of the extent of his willingness to market the team.

The one question I would like answered, and that I haven't heard anyone from the media answer yet, is whether the Spurs/Cavs series has the two smallest television markets ever represented in the Finals. I'm not surprised the ratings are down from last years', if for no other reason than that I assume Dallas and Miami are each larger television markets than San Antonio and Cleveland. Without an LA, Boston, New York, Miami, etc. in the Finals, it makes sense there would be a lower number of viewers.

As for whether Spurs fans should care about low ratings, I only care if continued low ratings contribute to the death of the league. It would also be nice if some other team could get pointed at as being a ratings-killer, though.

Jimcs50
06-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Aren't there an odd number of voters for Finals MVP? I seem to remember hearing that, which should preclude co-MVPs, although I suppose a majority of voters could write in two names.

Jimcs50, I also heard Wilbon this morning and thought his comments were interesting, particularly that the Spurs' marketing department is somewhat at odds with Duncan in terms of the extent of his willingness to market the team.

The one question I would like answered, and that I haven't heard anyone from the media answer yet, is whether the Spurs/Cavs series has the two smallest television markets ever represented in the Finals. I'm not surprised the ratings are down from last years', if for no other reason than that I assume Dallas and Miami are each larger television markets than San Antonio and Cleveland. Without an LA, Boston, New York, Miami, etc. in the Finals, it makes sense there would be a lower number of viewers.

As for whether Spurs fans should care about low ratings, I only care if continued low ratings contribute to the death of the league. It would also be nice if some other team could get pointed at as being a ratings-killer, though.

If SA makes the Finals next year against either Chicago or Boston, then the ratings will be pretty good, but other than those 2 teams, I see a continuation of low interest. We need TD to hire a PR guy, because for someone as good as he, his following is horrible. His jersey sales in the US rank 15, and that just weird for a 5 time MVP.(2 reg season, 3 Finals)

smeagol
06-12-2007, 01:39 PM

You forgot to say they don't deserve to be in the Finals because the bookies had odds favoring the Suns until Stern siglehandedly gave that series to the Spurs. That is a big * in my book !

smeagol
06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
If SA makes the Finals next year against either Chicago or Boston, then the ratings will be pretty good, but other than those 2 teams, I see a continuation of low interest. We need TD to hire a PR guy, because for someone as good as he, his following is horrible. His jersey sales in the US rank 15, and that just weird for a 5 time MVP.(2 reg season, 3 Finals)
Timmy needs Manu's hair.

smeagol
06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
And Tony's girlfriend.

ambchang
06-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Theorhetically, it is possible to have Co-Finals MVP, even with an odd number of voters.
Say there are 7 voters:
3 votes for Duncan, 3 for Parker, 1 for Manu.
But this is unlikely.

miss paxton
06-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Theorhetically, it is possible to have Co-Finals MVP, even with an odd number of voters.
Say there are 7 voters:
3 votes for Duncan, 3 for Parker, 1 for Manu.
But this is unlikely.

Yes, you're right; I didn't think about that possibility.

greens
06-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Yes, you're right; I didn't think about that possibility.

As long as the Spurs win, I don't think it really matters who the MVP will be...whether Tim or Tony...although at this time, it's unlikely that Manu will get even one vote. So it would be between Tim/Tony. So that cancels out the Co-mvp stuff...

But as I say, I HOPE that is the only problem we'll be facing. First Spurs have to WIN. So let's focus on that. Then when it comes to MVP, I don't think the guys really care about who gets it. It is a very selfless team. Plus, Tony said in the postgame interview that "Timmy is the leader. Timmy is the man." When he was asked about a possible MVP award for him...

Anyway, it's way too early to think about that. Spurs so far only won 2 games in their own homecourt. That's what they were supposed to do. The big challange awaits on the road. Once they get one win at the road, then it looks better. So let's hold our horses. The challange is still ahead.

Jimcs50
06-13-2007, 11:00 AM

My jinxing powers amaze and befuddle me.....

:depressed

colargol
06-13-2007, 12:56 PM
ok for the US rating .....
With this international combo the Spurs are doing well for D.Stern.....It's all about "mondialisation".....
And Dirk, first non US born to have the MVP, is doing the same...
NBA is growing outside US and that ouside is really big...........

Strike
06-13-2007, 01:00 PM

And the Trail Blazers suck. Why do you think they won the Greg Oden sweepstakes.

Get the fuck out of here, dipshit. You're a fucking moron and you know as well as I do that Blazers management will find a way to fuck this up. They always do.

I've lived in Portland almost 30 years. I've been witness to everything the Blazers have done since 1984. It all amounts to JACK SHIT!!!

Trust me, they'll find a way to fuck this up just like always.

Jimcs50
06-13-2007, 06:37 PM
And the Trail Blazers suck. Why do you think they won the Greg Oden sweepstakes.

Get the fuck out of here, dipshit. You're a fucking moron and you know as well as I do that Blazers management will find a way to fuck this up. They always do.

I've lived in Portland almost 30 years. I've been witness to everything the Blazers have done since 1984. It all amounts to JACK SHIT!!!

Trust me, they'll find a way to fuck this up just like always.

tlong has underware older than that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2007, 06:45 PM

Because we don't play on the northeast coast or in LA.

That was an easy one.