PDA

View Full Version : Marion offered to Detroit: Dumars confirms

theMUHMEshow
06-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Check the podcast from 6/12 (http://www.1270sports.com/pages/115419.php?contentType=34&contentId=1467)

Marklar MM
06-12-2007, 04:40 PM
2 starters, 2 first round picks for Marion.

MrChug
06-12-2007, 04:45 PM
So who was it dammit?????

picnroll
06-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Let Sarver pay a little luxury tax and he'll be offering two first round picks to dump Marion.

ducks
06-12-2007, 06:24 PM
suns want 2 starters and 15 and 27 picks for marion
kerr wants it all
he is a greedy sob

Extra Stout
06-12-2007, 06:28 PM
That's a lot to ask for a guy who can't create his own shot.

ChumpDumper
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
:lmao @ Kerr.

He's going to have a steep learning curve.

Vinnie_Johnson
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
That's a lot to ask for a guy who can't create his own shot.

Steve Kerr is high he is not worth more then one starter.

jacobdrj
06-12-2007, 06:34 PM
He had to try: and he doesn't want to be accused of undervaluing Marion, lest he can't trade him...

I DESPERATELY want Marion and Prince on the same team...

Vinnie_Johnson
06-12-2007, 06:38 PM
He had to try: and he doesn't want to be accused of undervaluing Marion, lest he can't trade him...

I DESPERATELY want Marion and Prince on the same team...

That would give us the top three ugly jump shooters. Prince, Marion and Amir. Marion is a waste to have on a team that doesn't run.

Leetonidas
06-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Sheed would be a yes but they probably want Prince or Hamilton too. Besides, Marion won't be that great in Detroit.

Obstructed_View
06-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I think if Rasheed ever puts on a Suns uniform, his head will explode. It's the perfect storm of whining.

ABDENOUR POWER
06-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I think if Rasheed ever puts on a Suns uniform, his head will explode. It's the perfect storm of whining.

Rasheed would help them in their search for more defense and toughness to help with playoff basketball, though. Plus, with Amare roaming the paint on offense, Sheed would be able to float at the 3 point line as much as he pleases. He seems like he'd be a pretty good fit.

Honestly, though, what is Steve Kerr smoking? Rasheed + Tayshaun/Rip + 15th pick + 27th pick for just Marion? :dizzy

I wouldn't touch that deal with a 10 foot stick. Even Dumars was kind of laughing about it during the interview.

picnroll
06-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Sheed goes and he takes the last vestiges of Pistons interior defense with him.

baseline bum
06-12-2007, 07:27 PM
I'd hate to see Rasheed in Phoenix for just Marion.

picnroll
06-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Then again what are the chances Amare and Sheed can both stay on the bench? Wouldn't that give the Suns the top two in Ts?

Xylus
06-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Rasheed would be a great fit in Phoenix. The pace slows down in the playoffs, anyway, and the Suns have proven that they can compete at a slower pace. Rasheed adds championship experience, low-post defense, 3-point shooting, and more attitude. Everything the Suns need. :)

G-Money
06-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Rasheed would be a great fit in Phoenix. The pace slows down in the playoffs, anyway, and the Suns have proven that they can compete at a slower pace. Rasheed adds championship experience, low-post defense, 3-point shooting, and more attitude. Everything the Suns need. :)

To bad your not getting him huh?

Xylus
06-12-2007, 08:40 PM
To bad your not getting him huh?
Well not at the price that Kerr is asking for.

And it's still very possible to get him, otherwise there wouldn't be trade talk about it at all.

johngateswhiteley
06-12-2007, 09:15 PM
i think Kerr will do a great job in Phx. its just a starting point, and yes its crazy, but you gotta start somewhere...

Johnny RIngo
06-12-2007, 09:22 PM
The Suns implosion continues!

Bob Lanier
06-12-2007, 09:34 PM
2 starters, 2 first round picks for Marion.
:lmao

~~Ice Man 2000~~
06-12-2007, 09:39 PM
The suns need someone who isn't a bitch.

ABDENOUR POWER
06-12-2007, 10:00 PM

Well said. If Kerr could convince Dumars to do even just a simple Marion for Rasheed swap (plus salary fillers), Phoenix would become my pick to win it all.

Unless Amare was involved, though, which will never happen, I want to keep Rasheed.

G-Money
06-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Well not at the price that Kerr is asking for.

And it's still very possible to get him, otherwise there wouldn't be trade talk about it at all.

Odds of that happening are very slim though but as a Piston fan I rather get Sheed for someone better. Marion is good but I rather have somthing better and anyways I don't know if Marion would be good for Detroit anyways.

Xylus
06-12-2007, 10:07 PM
The Suns implosion continues!
Huh? There has been talk of trading Marion since before this season began. The Suns knew they'd probably have to get rid of him because of cap issues. If they could afford him, they'd keep him.

confined
06-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Sheed and Amare on the same team?...way too much domination there

Xylus
06-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Odds of that happening are very slim though but as a Piston fan I rather get Sheed for someone better. Marion is good but I rather have somthing better and anyways I don't know if Marion would be good for Detroit anyways.
Marion would be good for anyone.

The guy's all hustle. He's one of the best rebounders in the league for his size, he can guard guys at every position (from Yao Ming to Tony Parker), he has long arms, fills up the stat sheet with every imaginable stat, he averages close to 20 and 10 every season.

Marion isn't a team's first option, but he's easily one of the best role players in the league.

picnroll
06-12-2007, 10:13 PM

The guy's all hustle. He's one of the best rebounders in the league for his size, he can guard guys at every position (from Yao Ming to Tony Parker), he has long arms, fills up the stat sheet with every imaginable stat, he averages close to 20 and 10 every season.

Marion isn't a team's first option, but he's easily one of the best role players in the league.
So keep him.

confined
06-12-2007, 10:15 PM

Dead on :tu

Xylus
06-12-2007, 10:41 PM
So keep him.
Uhh...we can't. That's the whole point of this.

The Suns need to shave some money off the payroll.

picnroll
06-12-2007, 10:45 PM

Trade Amare if Marion can average 20 - 10 and guard everyone.

Xylus
06-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Trade Amare if Marion can average 20 - 10 and guard everyone.
Amare makes like 4 million less than Marion. How would that help the salary problem?

Or are you just trying to be antagonistic?

ABDENOUR POWER
06-12-2007, 11:07 PM

Reading between the lines, though, its not entirely about payroll. Think about it - Kerr is asking for two starters along with the draft picks. Along with those two starters would come a pretty large chunk of salary - all Detroit's starters are tied down with pretty sizeable contracts. A combo of Rasheed (roughly 12 million) and Tayshaun (roughly 8 million) or Rip (9 mill) would actually take up MORE payroll than Marion.

Xylus
06-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Reading between the lines, though, its not entirely about payroll. Think about it - Kerr is asking for two starters along with the draft picks. Along with those two starters would come a pretty large chunk of salary - all Detroit's starters are tied down with pretty sizeable contracts. A combo of Rasheed (roughly 12 million) and Tayshaun (roughly 8 million) or Rip (9 mill) would actually take up MORE payroll than Marion.
The deal will eventually include fewer players, though. If a deal like this did go through, it would likely just involve Marion and Sheed/bench player or Sheed/draft pick.

Kerr is just fishing. Hell, if you can get Prince/Hamilton, Sheed, and two draft picks for Marion, you do it regardless of payroll. Obviously Dumars won't go for it.

picnroll
06-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Pistons would be stupid to trade Sheed for Marion. Contrary to some misguided opinions Marion can't guard Yao, Duncan, Shaq, etc.. He is nowhere close to the man on post defender Sheed is.

Obstructed_View
06-12-2007, 11:50 PM
As someone who hates the Suns, I'd love to see them trade for Rasheed. His team won't win when he's camped out at the three point line. Marion's just as good a weak side defender, and is a better individual defender. I think I mentioned before that the crowd and overall whiny attitude in Phoenix is really bad for someone that bitches as much as Rasheed does. He'll definitely set a record for technicals and will probably serve a number of suspensions, too.

picnroll
06-12-2007, 11:54 PM
As someone who hates the Suns, I'd love to see them trade for Rasheed. His team won't win when he's camped out at the three point line. Marion's just as good a weak side defender, and is a better individual defender. I think I mentioned before that the crowd and overall whiny attitude in Phoenix is really bad for someone that bitches as much as Rasheed does. He'll definitely set a record for technicals and will probably serve a number of suspensions, too.
Totally disagree. Unlike Marion who can be counted on to disappear in the playoffs, particularly against the Spurs, Sheed is probably the best defender of Duncan in the league.

LavaLamp
06-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Sheed is probably the best defender of Duncan in the league.

Is that still true today?

Lp26
06-13-2007, 04:22 AM
If the Suns get Sheed, they'll wil the title. Book it.

Nash/Amare/Sheed would be deadly

And PHO would actually have post defense, and someone who's fantastic under post-season pressure.

I would have to become a Suns fan as much as that would pain me . . .

Thank god it most likely won't happen

spurscenter
06-13-2007, 05:01 AM
MARION for DARKO, oops

Armando
06-13-2007, 08:07 AM
I dont't know if Kerr will get that trade but he has to start somewhere.

MrChug
06-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Is that still true today?

Yes.

RonMexico
06-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Marion to Celtics for Corey Brewer and Sebastian Telfair on draft day... and the Tim Duncan Celtics jersey that had to immediately put into storage in '97

RonMexico
06-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Along with the Len Bias jersey... which they can trade to get Sheed.

Armando
06-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Marion to Celtics for Corey Brewer and Sebastian Telfair on draft day... and the Tim Duncan Celtics jersey that had to immediately put into storage in '97

Telfair? I rather they trade for Tony Allen.

dickface
06-13-2007, 09:13 AM
If the Suns get Sheed, they'll wil the title. Book it.

If the Suns get Sheed the whining will be 100x worse when they lose yet again in the playoffs next year.

RonMexico
06-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Telfair? I rather they trade for Tony Allen.

It was a joke. Although Sebastian Telfair and Amare's mom could probably form a sweet gang together...

Supergirl
06-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Interesting...
Pistons would be stupid to take it. Wallace is incredibly valuable, and while Marion is excellent - one of my favorite players - he plays SF so losing Wallace would give them two SFs and no PF.

Billups would make no sense to offer up - the Suns have Nash - and Prince is the Pistons Bowen, the one guy who can shut down a team's leading scorer.

The Pistons need to re-sign Chauncey and McDyess, and start looking within themselves for where their heart went, which is a coaching issue more than anything. They should have defeated the Cavs this year. They have the talent.

Obstructed_View
06-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Totally disagree. Unlike Marion who can be counted on to disappear in the playoffs, particularly against the Spurs, Sheed is probably the best defender of Duncan in the league.
Funny that Marion "disappears" in the playoffs yet still averaged three points and three rebounds per game more than Rasheed did in this year's postseason.

Best defender of Duncan in the league. I hear that a lot from people. Commentators repeat it when Rasheed has a good defensive play against Duncan. The most effective play 'sheed had against Duncan was when Timmy stepped on his foot and sprained his ankle in '05. Timmy did just fine against him this season in two wins as I recall. On a team with coaches, players, and a fanbase that is so quick to blame the officials for their ills, Rasheed will shatter the record for technicals and get kicked out of big games. I personally look forward to the train wreck.

theMUHMEshow
06-13-2007, 10:07 AM
And PHO would actually have post defense, and someone who's fantastic under post-season pressure.

:dizzy

Im not feelin Sheed at the end of games ever.

The games he guarantees he plays like hell. He has mental lapses at the end of games in key spots more than any of Detroit's big 4.

Sure he had a great run this year, but was missing at the END of games and still...cost the Pistons are REALLY good shot at the title in '05.

JMarkJohns
06-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Like Xylus said, this is a starting point. I believe Kerr will settle for Rasheed/filler/#15 for Marion.

Rasheed is coming off one of his worst overall seasons and showings in the playoffs. Marion is coming off of one of his better overall seasons, and, despite another fade vs. San Antonio, he's a career 18 ppg, 9 rpg per in the playoffs. Rasheed is going to be sold low if traded this summer and Marion will be sold high, or at the very least, sold higher than Rasheed.

I like the idea Kerr has. See how desperate for change Dumars is. Obviously his product isn't working right now, and Rasheed's fade/implosion makes it tough to do nothing. Maybe the other "starter" was Nazr Mohammed? Wasn't he the starter early on in the year? Perhaps Dumars statement of "two starters" is spin to imply to the fans that it was others and therefore way too steep? Dumars isn't dumb. If the fans don't want Rasheed and do want Marion, then implying a package included two of your yester-year All-Stars is a pretty good way to let your fans down easy.

Eitherway, it does work finacially. Even Maxiell would go along way in making this work.

Rasheed/Nazr or Maxiell/#15 for Marion?

Where does that leave Detroit for big men? Marion? McDyess? Maxiell or Nazr? Webber? Davis? Amir?

Detroit could probably use their MLE on another big if they weren't comfortable with this as their big-man rotation.

monosylab1k
06-13-2007, 11:48 AM
This is one of those trades that will be bad for both teams.

Marion won't be able to run like he did in Phoenix, and he doesn't have a PG in Detroit who can dish it to him effectively enough. I see him being a 15/8 guy outside of Phoenix. Maybe that's an improvement over Sheed, but it's hardly what you'd expect.

And Rasheed will be disastrous in Phoenix. You think there's ego issues between Marion and Amare? How about turning Marion into a big loudmouthed hothead who loves chucking ill-advised three pointers.

bdubya
06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Like Xylus said, this is a starting point. I believe Kerr will settle for Rasheed/filler/#15 for Marion.

That's still insulting Joe D's intelligence. Pistons+Marion-Sheed = second-round exit if we're lucky.

DarkReign
06-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Joe Dumars was on the radio yesterday and commented on what the new GM Steve Kerr wanted for "The Matrix" without naming names.

Sheed + Tay + 15th + 27th pick next year.

For Marion. For fucking Shawn Marion. Obviously, JoeD told him where to stick that deal.

All that for Marion...what a joke. JoeD was like "Lakers didnt get that much for Shaq and you think youre going to get that for Marion?"

Phoenix is in a pinch if they think for a second that Marion is worth that much. I wouldnt do that deal for Amare, nonetheless Marion.

picnroll
06-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Suns think everyone is as stupid as Atlanta. GMs should just sit tight and see how badly Sarver wants to swallow the luxury tax.

theMUHMEshow
06-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Suns think everyone is as stupid as Atlanta *and Boston*. GMs should just sit tight and see how badly Sarver wants to swallow the luxury tax.

fixed :spin