PDA

View Full Version : Verlander No-no!!!!

theMUHMEshow
06-12-2007, 08:24 PM
No Hits The Brew Crew!!!!

Vizzini
06-12-2007, 08:26 PM
What an awesome game! I know a guy who got shafted from going to Saturday's game against the Mets, which is the one he really wanted to go to, and he had to go to this one instead.

JamStone
06-12-2007, 09:00 PM
beautiferous!

jochhejaam
06-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Wow! I just went to ESPN's website to see how the Tigers were doing tonight and I was greeted with this! Awesome!!

DETROIT (AP) -- Justin Verlander pitched the first no-hitter in Comerica Park history, mixing 100 mph heat with crazy curveballs to lead the Detroit Tigers over the Milwaukee Brewers 4-0 Tuesday night.

Verlander struck out a career-high 12 and got a huge assist from shortstop Neifi Perez, who turned a possible single up the middle in the eighth into an inning-ending double play.

The 2006 AL Rookie of the Year benefited from several other stellar defensive plays and worked around four walks in the Tigers' first no-hitter since Jack Morris in 1984.

Verlander trotted to the mound for the ninth to a standing ovation. He struck out Craig Counsell and Tony Graffanino before getting J.J. Hardy to fly out to the warning track in right field.

"I had way too much adrenaline, to be honest," Verlander said.

It was the second no-hitter of the season in the majors, with Mark Buehrle of the Chicago White Sox doing it against the Texas Rangers on April 18. Boston's Curt Schilling came within one out of accomplishing it at Oakland last week.

As right fielder Magglio Ordonez caught Hardy's fly ball, Verlander threw his arms in the air. Catcher Ivan Rodriguez was already at the mound and hugged Verlander as the pitcher wheeled around.

"That ninth inning was amazing," Verlander said. "It was the best thing that ever happened to me."

This was the first no-hitter in Detroit since Nolan Ryan of the Angels did it at Tiger Stadium in 1973. Comerica opened in 2000.

Milwaukee was last no-hit on April 27, 1994, by Scott Erickson at Minnesota.

Verlander (7-2) had all of his pitches working, including a tantalizing changeup, in his second career complete game and first of the season. The 24-year-old righty finished with 112 pitches in the no-hitter.

"About the fifth or sixth you can't help but think about it a little, but you have to go out and pitch," he said.

"Everyone kept giving me high fives and nobody came and sat next to me."

Among those to congratulate Verlander after it was over was teammate Kenny Rogers, who once pitched a perfect game.

Verlander himself made a sharp grab, jumping to snare Prince Fielder's one-hopper for the first out in the seventh. Corey Hart then hit a liner and Ordonez made a sliding catch while running in.

The best play belonged to Perez. After Bill Hall walked for the third time, Gabe Gross hit a hard one-out grounder up the middle. Perez skidded to his left to glove it, but the force of the ball knocked him over.

Perez managed to flip the ball to second baseman Placido Polanco, whose relay ended the eighth. Verlander pumped his fist near the mound and was one of the first to congratulate Perez in the dugout.

"Neifi was right there," he said.

Brandon Inge homered and drove in two runs. Jeff Suppan (7-7) took the loss.

Verlander was 17-9 in helping the surprising Tigers reach the World Series for the first time since 1984.

Verlander set the tone early by striking out Counsell and Graffanino to start the game.

Milwaukee didn't get its first baserunner until Hall walked with one out in the third. But Verlander then struck out Gross and got Counsell on a hard one-hopper that first baseman Sean Casey neatly handled.

Suppan almost matched Verlander pitch for pitch the first five innings. He only allowed two hits in that span and his only mistake was to Inge, who hit his 11th homer in the third.

Suppan allowed four runs and seven hits in 6 1/3 innings.

The Tigers made it 3-0 in the sixth on an RBI triple by Curtis Granderson and a sacrifice fly by Polanco. Inge hit an RBI single in the seventh.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270612106

DOMINATOR
06-12-2007, 09:58 PM
most impresive part is 102 MPH in the 9th.

UV Ray
06-13-2007, 12:37 AM

That was sweet!

RogerIsEatingASandwich
06-13-2007, 02:12 AM
Congrats. Great Performance.

jochhejaam
06-13-2007, 06:05 AM
Rookie of the Year last year, and a no hitter this year. I believe a contract extension is in order.

samikeyp
06-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Nice. :tu

sa_butta
06-13-2007, 07:18 AM
How sweet it is.

DarkReign
06-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Ive never seen a no-no before, probably never will again.

Even if I do see another, I am quite sure it will never be as dominate as this was. From the 1st inning on, the Brewers had no chance. The swings they were taking, the hook on the curve, the change, it was masterful.

One diving play from Inge, one Ordonez sliding catch and one magnificent knock-down by (of all people) Neifi Perez and an excellent turn by Polanco for a double play was all he needed.

What a game.

Melmart1
06-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Congrats, Tigers fans! :tu

theMUHMEshow
06-13-2007, 10:03 AM

Even more impressive is how they jack the guns up at Copa. you can do a quick -3 on the MPH

Its even better to be in the press box and see the FSN (tv) gun and look at the ballpark gun.

DOMINATOR
06-13-2007, 10:15 AM
ok... 99mph in the 9th is still impressive

DarkReign
06-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Even more impressive is how they jack the guns up at Copa. you can do a quick -3 on the MPH

Its even better to be in the press box and see the FSN (tv) gun and look at the ballpark gun.

You love being the cold shower dont you? Anything to make yourself look "in the know", even at the expense of peoples excitement.

"Verlander completes the no hitter! He was throwing 100+ in the 9th!!!!"

"Dude, the guns are juiced at Copa, more like 98-99 at best."

*punch in the face*

theMUHMEshow
06-13-2007, 10:51 AM
You love being the cold shower dont you? Anything to make yourself look "in the know", even at the expense of peoples excitement.

"Verlander completes the no hitter! He was throwing 100+ in the 9th!!!!"

"Dude, the guns are juiced at Copa, more like 98-99 at best."

*punch in the face*

lol...Na...I was just listening to the Brewer broadcast and they really were harping on it. This was a big deal last year and all the fans were talking about it when Zumaya was supposedly hitting 103 at copa and 99-97 at NY Stadium. Not saying I am in the know at all...and if you wanna "punch me in the face" I will gladly meet you anytime brotha...this is a message board...not the fucking octogan :downspin:

theMUHMEshow
06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
ok... 99mph in the 9th is still impressive

Very...Nolan Ryanisque

DarkReign
06-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Not saying I am in the know at all...and if you wanna "punch me in the face" I will gladly meet you anytime brotha...this is a message board...not the fucking octogan :downspin:

It was a hypothetical, tough guy. Picture the scenario in a movie and maybe it would have humor to it.

Nice comeback though, more cold shower and an e-threat. Youre on a roll.

theMUHMEshow
06-13-2007, 12:29 PM
It was a hypothetical, tough guy. Picture the scenario in a movie and maybe it would have humor to it.

Nice comeback though, more cold shower and an e-threat. Youre on a roll.

Signed,

Guy that wants to punch someone in the face over message board banter. :clap

DarkReign
06-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Signed,

Guy that wants to punch someone in the face over message board banter. :clap

I didnt threaten you. It was a hypothetical. As a member of the press, I think you know what that means. But keep railing on a point you know to be false.

jochhejaam
06-13-2007, 08:21 PM
..and if you wanna "punch me in the face" I will gladly meet you anytime brotha...

I'm your huckleberry.

love that line :toast

Marklar MM
06-13-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm your huckleberry.

love that line :toast

Dude...I watched Tombstone last night. :lol

UV Ray
06-13-2007, 11:41 PM
lol...Na...I was just listening to the Brewer broadcast and they really were harping on it. This was a big deal last year and all the fans were talking about it when Zumaya was supposedly hitting 103 at copa and 99-97 at NY Stadium. Not saying I am in the know at all...and if you wanna "punch me in the face" I will gladly meet you anytime brotha...this is a message board...not the fucking octogan :downspin:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/xuy675/DONTRUN.gif

BadBoysAreBackIn08
06-15-2007, 02:22 PM
More impressive than a no hitter? Please. Joel Zumaya can pitch 104. A no hitter is incredible.

Marklar MM
06-15-2007, 02:50 PM
More impressive than a no hitter? Please. Joel Zumaya can pitch 104. A no hitter is incredible.

There are not many pitchers who can go 9 innings and still throw as hard as they threw in the 1st inning on a consistent basis.

JROLLA
06-15-2007, 03:10 PM
And how do my wonderful Tigers carry the Momentum from the No-No? The drop the next 2 games to the brew crew. Lord help our relief pitching.