PDA

View Full Version : Spurs/ABC/ratings

ratm1221
06-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Funny... ABC trying to defend the Spurs in the pre-game by saying "If anyone thinks the Spurs are a boring team, they don't know much about basketball" and "I don't see how anyone can call the Spurs boring"....

Followed by the most boring game in Finals history...

Ironic...

If you ask me it was a bad excuse for the horrible ratings for the Finals this year.

NBA Junkie
06-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Unlike the Mavs, they didn't blow a game 3 late and are now in the drivers seat.

Xylus
06-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah, that was definitely the most boring Finals game I've ever seen.

That's more of a slight to the Cavs, because the Spurs can play just about any style successfully.

twincam
06-13-2007, 12:11 AM
I agree with Xylus....it's not the Spurs...it's the Cavs.

Besides why do people post about ratings? Who really gives a flying fuck about ratings. It's all about the big prize that counts. I don't work for the network, therefore I could care less.

Go Spurs Go.

my personal quote : Hated by many, envied by all !

baseline bum
06-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Yeah, it wasn't like game 5 last year when the whole world tuned in to see the Mavs choke the series away. :lol

violentkitten
06-13-2007, 12:13 AM
ratings matter if your team is home fucking one of their 200 bitches in one of their 10 houses

judaspriestess
06-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Its not the Spurs its the calves, they are awful

leroyjenkins
06-13-2007, 12:58 AM
reminded me of the nets/cavs games

Shaolin-Style
06-13-2007, 01:08 AM
Spurs had one of the most exciting series in the playoffs with the Suns, and a decent matchup with Denver, so clearly something is up with Utah and Cleveland.

jn77
06-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Why talk about ratings? We don't have any "High Ratings" banners in the rafters do we. I only see Championship banners, that's all I care about. Let the network worry about ratings.

Leetonidas
06-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Cleveland is the most boring basketball team I've ever seen in my life. It's boring because of them. If it was SA vs. Miami or even SA vs. Chicago, there'd be way more viewers. Cleveland sucks ass.

ChumpDumper
06-13-2007, 02:22 AM
:lmao

Cleveland's brand of basketball is modeled after ours, that's why they are boring.

They also have only two guys who can score instead of three, that's why they are slightly more boring than the Spurs.

Fillmoe
06-13-2007, 02:34 AM
http://www.mycomfortmyway.com/img/product_floam_pillow.jpg

greyforest
06-13-2007, 04:22 AM
the real money comes from endorsements...

not that winning has anything to do with who sponsors you in the nba. it usually does in most other sports.

RonMexico
06-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Let's admit - it's never boring when Anderson Varejao loses the ball out of bounds and then tries a spin move with 10-seconds left against an All-NBA 1st team defender... if we ignore the other 47 minutes and 30 seconds of the game, then that makes for some exciting basketball.

Don Quixote
06-13-2007, 09:29 AM
It's not our fault the League's playoff format sucks, or that the East in a JV conference. And it's certainly not our fault that Dallas sucked a fat one against GS, thus eliminating one more good team.

We just play, and beat, any and all comers. And despite the low score, I thought last night's game was good.

I'm all for a different playoff format. Us beating Phoenix in the Finals would be even better than beating them in the semis.

CubanMustGo
06-13-2007, 09:35 AM
http://www.mycomfortmyway.com/img/product_floam_pillow.jpg
http://www.pet-rageous.com/shop/images/TissueLong.JPG

Spurminator
06-13-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm glad people aren't jumping on the Spurs bandwagon around the country, pretending to be hardcore Spurs fans like everyone who claimed to be a Lakers fan earlier in the decade. I'd prefer those people watch something else.

Here's hoping Game 3 set a new low.

zrinkill
06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Maybe if the Suns or Mavs were a little more "boring" you would have some banners hanging in your arenas .....

Bunch of crybaby bitches

theMUHMEshow
06-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Maybe if the Suns or Mavs were a little more "boring" you would have some banners hanging in your arenas .....

Bunch of crybaby bitches

Signed,

Sprus fans

agreed upon by Heat and Piston fans. :toast

peskypesky
06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Spurs and their fans (and real basketball fans everywhere) think winning Championships is what the game is all about. Mavs and Suns fans only care about ratings, apparently, which is good, because their teams have ZERO Championships.

Mavs and Suns fans can go jerk off to their ratings while the Spurs go shine their 4th Championship Tropy.

Maybe the Mavs and Suns can convince Stern to change the rules so that the trophy goes to not the best team, but the team with the highest ratings. Then, and only then, will they have a chance to feel what it feels like to be a Champion.

Reggie Miller
06-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Some points:

1. The ratings went down when ESPN/ABC took over from NBC. Obviously, the Disney conglomerate will never even examine the possibility that the real problem could be that ABC coverage blows monkey chunks. Honestly, I didn't think that ithe coverage could be any worse than 2005, until the cameras followed Bowen into the john WHILE THE GAME WAS STILL IN PROGRESS.

2. In his book "I May Be Wrong...But I Doubt It," Charles Barkley discusses NBA ratings. To sum up his position, he believes that the ratings are completely bogus for several reasons. Barkley comments that none of the hundreds of people he has asked have ever participated in the Nielsen program (black or white). Several studies have proven that blacks are underepresented in the Nielsen ratings. Theoretically, black Americans are more likely to watch the NBA than white or hispanic Americans. All this adds up to artifically low estimated ratings for the games.

To go along with that, I have lived in several different states, and I have never met anyone (or even known of anyone) who had a Nielsen box in their home. I did a quick poll at the office when I read Barkley's book in 2003, and no one in my workplace had ever known anyone with a Nielsen box. Maybe it's time to realize that the Emperor has no clothes?

3. Nothing gets good ratings anymore. There are too many options within the realm of television (cable, PPV, etc.), not to mention all of the other media options that exist today (DVD/VHS, computers, etc.).

4. The NBA is wasting too much money and effort to appeal to the "casual fan." First, I would argue that such a creature doesn't even exist. (A casual fanatic?) Second, the result is to hype a player, who has a finite career, rather than a team or the league itself. Third, the individualistic approach is doomed to failure and disappointed expectations. If the "next Jordan" was really that easy to find or manufacture, then he really isn't THAT special, right? People eventually tune out when the "next Jordan" plays like the next Juwan Howard.

5. Many people only watch the playoffs. This creates image problems for the league. Too many people watching the NBA for a few weeks out of the year have no real understanding or appreciation for the game. They buy what the WWL and Nike feeds them. For example, officiating in the NBA always sucks. There really is no overarching conspiracy; the officials just continue to suck in the postseason just like they did in the regular season.

K-State Spur
06-13-2007, 06:38 PM
I love it how some fans of other teams take joy in the low ratings this year. It's really doesn't say much for this sport that we are all fans of when any finals match-up can't garner good numbers.

Johnny RIngo
06-13-2007, 06:40 PM
The Nielsen ratings system is an outdated concept. Maybe in 1973, when most American households had ONE television set and there were only three networks (plus PBS), that system made sense and the data was probably more or less accurate.

But in 2007--13 years after the Internet hit the mainstream and well into the digitization of American culture and media, with hundreds of cable and satellite channels available to millions of households that have (in most cases) more than one television--not to mention the ability to download and view content via the Internet on computers and handheld devices--it's nothing more than ossified dinosaur bones in terms of its relevance to the reality of media consumption. If a homemade video can be created, posted online and draw millions of viewers--or even a few hundred thousand--how on earth can they think that a random sampling of households is going to provide an accurate picture of what people are watching on TV?

ratm1221
06-13-2007, 08:47 PM
I think some of you missed the point. You're right, no one cares about ratings except the stations. That's what made it so funny to me that ABC was commenting on how Spurs were not a boring team. The only way it could have been less pathetic is if they said "It's going to be a good game, please watch! Please don't turn the station"! As much as everyone knows how silly ratings are, TV programming still lives and dies by it.

If they were trying to change peoples perspective, insulting viewers by saying they don't know anything about basketball isn't the way to do it.

~~Ice Man 2000~~
06-13-2007, 08:54 PM
You see, you have to respect the Mavs, the lost games 2-6 on purpose in a effort to get the casual fans back into the series. Damn were selfish.

ChumpDumper
06-13-2007, 08:55 PM
I think some of you missed the point. You're right, no one cares about ratings except the stations. That's what made it so funny to me that ABC was commenting on how Spurs were not a boring team. The only way it could have been less pathetic is if they said "It's going to be a good game, please watch! Please don't turn the station"! As much as everyone knows how silly ratings are, TV programming still lives and dies by it.Not if you can charge to put it on the internets and on televisions in other countries.

Soul_Patch
06-14-2007, 08:32 AM
I will ask this here again.

WHAT REAL SPORTS FAN GIVES A FLYING FUCK ABOUT RATINGS?

Seriously, why is this always such a big topic. I could give a shit less if i was the only person watchign the spurs on tv...i enjoy them, just about the entire population of san antonio enjoys them, fuck the rest.

Reggie Miller
06-14-2007, 08:37 AM
If like me, you don't live anywhere near Texas, then ratings are extremely important, becuase they affect how often I can watch the Spurs without buying some sort of expensive cable or satellite package.

In terms of what Spurs' fans should be worrying about RIGHT NOW, then no, they don't mean diddley.

Don Quixote
06-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Some points:

1. The ratings went down when ESPN/ABC took over from NBC. Obviously, the Disney conglomerate will never even examine the possibility that the real problem could be that ABC coverage blows monkey chunks. Honestly, I didn't think that ithe coverage could be any worse than 2005, until the cameras followed Bowen into the john WHILE THE GAME WAS STILL IN PROGRESS.

Mostly agree with Reg except for this point. I liked the fact that the cameras followed Bowen into the bathroom. Thought it was funny. But why didn't they follow up on this important story? Did he go #1 or #2? Did he use more than one sheet of toilet paper, because if he did, that makes him a bad person. We need to know these things.

The whole point of sideline reporters is to give us insight that we wouldn't be able to figure out on our own, things that have nothing to do with the game itself. We need cameras to show us the hot chicks in attendance, the celebrities, the wiggers.

Don Quixote
06-14-2007, 09:37 AM
If like me, you don't live anywhere near Texas, then ratings are extremely important, becuase they affect how often I can watch the Spurs without buying some sort of expensive cable or satellite package.

Another good point. In New Orleans, it is next to impossible to catch a Spurs game on the tube, unless they happen to be playing the Hornets in town (their games are not all televised), or playing the Cavs/Heat/Lakers/Mavs/Suns, in which case it might be on nationally. I do have the fortune of being able to get WOAI all the way out here at night. I've been able to catch almost every game over the years, in weird, distant, faraway places like rural Oklahoma, Shreveport, and now New Orleans because of WOAI's strong signal.

But I do wish they were on TV more.

Tobias
06-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Hey, is the boob-cam gone this year? just realized I don't think ive seen any gratuitous boobage before commercial break

Reggie Miller
06-14-2007, 02:01 PM
In SW Indiana, you can usually pick up WOAI 1200 AM if the game is in the Pacific Time Zone or starts later for tv reasons. Earlier in the day, all you get is interstatial interference. I went to Atlanta for the Braves-Cubs series over the weekend, and we were picking up WOAI near Calhoun, Georgia at 1:00 a.m. Once we headed into the Resaca/Dalton area, the mountains blocked the signal.

Don Quixote
06-14-2007, 11:53 PM
When I wrote Commissioner Stern and asked him to bring back the Boobie Cam, I didn't mean more Daniel Gibson.

jbspurs
06-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Funny... ABC trying to defend the Spurs in the pre-game by saying "If anyone thinks the Spurs are a boring team, they don't know much about basketball" and "I don't see how anyone can call the Spurs boring"....

Ironic...

If you ask me it was a bad excuse for the horrible ratings for the Finals this year.

No wonder you guys don't win Championship.....

DDS4
06-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Yeah, that was definitely the most boring Finals game I've ever seen.

That's more of a slight to the Cavs, because the Spurs can play just about any style successfully.

Wow. A Suns fan setting the record straight on a Mavs fan.

SpursDynasty
06-15-2007, 02:39 PM

Ironic...

Translation = My team isn't in the Finals so let's hope the ratings are bad or something so I can talk about how the Spurs suck. :stfu