December 3, 2004

SAN ANTONIO -- Big Brother is back.

BIG BEN: TOWER OF POWER
Matchup: Pistons vs. San Antonio Spurs.

When: 8 tonight.

Where: SBC Center, San Antonio.

TV: Channel 20, ESPN.

LIFE WITH AND WITHOUT BEN

Ben Wallace will return for the Pistons tonight after a six-game suspension. He also missed two games because of the death of a brother. Some numbers without Wallace:

3-5: Pistons' record when he doesn't play.

3-3: Record during his suspension.

4-2: Record with Wallace.

96.3: Opponents' scoring average with Wallace out.

91.5: Opponents' scoring average when Wallace plays.

47.5: Opponents' shooting percentage with Wallace out.

41.9: Opponents' shooting percentage when Wallace plays.

WALLACE'S STATISTICS

G FG% FT% REB BLK PTS
6 48.3 50.0 11.8 2.83 11.8

The Pistons have Ben Wallace in their lineup again, and it sounds like music to them.

While reporters interviewed Wallace after Thursday's practice at the SBC Center, Chauncey Billups strolled by and sang: "Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back."

During practice, Wallace blocked a Darko Milicic shot and told him to go stronger to the basket the next time.

At another point, the second unit was getting the best of the starters before Wallace hit a shot in the lane.

"Yeah, Body, yeah, Body," Rasheed Wallace screamed at his frontcourt mate.

After a six-game suspension, Wallace will start for the Pistons tonight against the Spurs. Wallace, a two-time NBA defensive player of the year, was suspended after he shoved the Pacers' Ron Artest and threw a wristband at him Nov. 19 at the Palace.

Artest, who had fouled Wallace hard on a lay-up, later went into the stands and fought with fans, touching off a brawl seen around the world.

The Pistons went 3-3 without Wallace. They also lost two earlier games when he didn't play because of the death of a brother.

The defending NBA champs take a 7-7 record into tonight's game, and all their problems can't be attributed to Wallace's absence. But his presence, energy and unselfish play go a long way toward healing some of their early-season wounds.

"It has affected our team a lot," coach Larry Brown said of Wallace's absence. "He's the heart and soul of our team. He's the best defensive player in the league, and he probably plays harder than anybody in the league. He's a great guy.

"Since I've been here and since I've watched him play, he has always picked everybody up. That has been great, but it's not fair. We have to all bring it and not just expect because he's back that'll change. That's the way he plays."

Wallace, a 6-foot-9 center, contributes more than the 11.8 points, 11.8 rebounds and 2.83 blocked shots he's averaging. He's the team's defensive security blanket. When a Pistons guard gets beat on a drive, he knows Wallace can block the shot with a quick swat.

"He's a pretty terrific player," Brown said. "He plays the right way, and he makes everybody on our team better. I don't know if it's going to happen overnight. He has been out a lot this season, so we'll see. It's fun to have him back."

It has been difficult for Wallace to watch his teammates play without him. He watched Tuesday's victory at Houston in the team hotel. The Pistons picked him up on their way to the airport.

"It's tough anytime somebody takes something away from you that you love so much," said Wallace, 30. "You're anxious to get back out there. It was tough being in Houston and watching the game from down the street knowing you want to be out there helping.

"You hate to see your team struggle. It's like the big brother watching your little brother getting beat up on the playground; there's nothing you can do about it. It's a tough thing to deal with. It leaves you with a bitter feeling in your mouth. It's unfortunate, but it helps you rekindle your love for the game."

Wallace is unfazed that his return comes against All-Star Tim Duncan and perhaps the best team in the league right now. The Spurs have a 20-game home winning streak dating to last March. They have won five straight overall.

"Good teams protect their home court, so I'm looking forward to the challenge," Wallace said "There are no easy nights in the NBA."

Antonio McDyess replaced Wallace during his absence, and although McDyess played well, he realizes he's not Ben Wallace.

"He brings energy to the team," McDyess said. "He's the guy with the high energy, and everybody feeds off of him. When he's in the game or at practice, we seem to be a totally different team.

"I hope this is a new beginning. No more problems, no more bumps in the road. We can just keep going from here. We have Ben and Coach and everybody else back. Hopefully, we can take it from here."

Brown missed six games while he recovered from hip surgery.

Billups was the most valuable player in the NBA Finals last season, but he knows the role Big Ben plays on the Pistons.

"Everybody knows that Ben is the heart and soul of this team," Billups said. "We can't get where we want to go without him. He's our leader, but we all have to step up and play better. We just can't depend on him to do it all at both ends. Hopefully, now we can get on a little bit of a roll."

Contact PERRY A. FARRELL at 313-222-2555 or [email protected].

SPARKY
12-03-2004, 12:20 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/images/basketball/nba/players/3260.jpg

"He have go through me. Bitch."

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-03-2004, 12:22 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/images/basketball/nba/players/3260.jpg

"He have go through me. Bitch."

:lmao

SLOVENIAN 8
12-03-2004, 12:32 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/images/basketball/nba/players/3260.jpg "Tonight we will destroy them! Ha! HA! HA!"

bigzak25
12-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Championship Preview. I'm glad Ben is back in the lineup. Finally a true test for our Spurs. :smokin

ducks
12-03-2004, 02:51 PM
I would die laughing if tony masserburg and wallace get tossed

Dario
12-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Exactly my thinking, masserburg is something like artest in fighting spirit, but i think ben had enough for 1 season and if something similar would happen with masserburg ben would step down. I kinda hope for rasho to put a block or 2 on ben or make a monster dunk over him, but that are only wishes i guess, nothing more :|

ALVAREZ6
12-03-2004, 03:15 PM
i wanna see Delfino and Ginobili on the court at the same time...

tekdragon
12-03-2004, 03:19 PM
BY PERRY A. FARRELL

???

Who knew Perry had a middle name?

"Three days was the morning.
My focus three days old.
My head, it landed
To the sounds of cricket bows...

I am proud man anyway...
Covered now by three days...

Three ways was the morning.
Three lovers, in three ways.
We knew when she landed,
Three days she'd stay.

I am a proud man anyway...
Covered now by three days...

We saw shadows of the morning light
the shadows of the evening sun
till the shadows and the light were one.

Shadows of the morning light
the shadows of the evening sun
till the shadows and the light were one...

True hunting is over.
No herds to follow.
Without game, men prey on each other.
The family weakens by the bite we swallow...

True leaders gone,
Of land and people.
We choose no kin but adopted strangers.
The family weakens by the length we travel...

All of us with wings...
All of us with wings...
All of us with wings!
All of us with wings!
All of us with wings!
All of us with wings!

Erotic Jesus lays with his Marys.
Loves his Marys.
Bits of puzzle,
Fitting each other.

All now with wings!

Oh my Marys!