PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry on Rome Show Now

Solid D
12-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Ticket760

Rummpd
12-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Dear "Cloneheads:

Ok for us out of SA and radio voice right now = what did Rome ask him today? Px+ Rome probably sucked up to him and then dissed the Spurs as great but boring afterwards. At least SAS does his dissing up front, that is what I cannot stand about Jim Rome as much as I overall like the show.

Classic in the Jungle.

Out.
MadDoc

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Actually, Rome's been pretty supportive of the Spurs recently (including last season).

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Actually a lot of the media seem to be warming to the idea that San Antonio actually has (gasp!) a good basketball team. Barkley's been a backer for a while, I think I actually saw SAS say the Spurs were at the top of the list of title contenders earlier this year, and on ESPN's discussion shows like Around the Horn and Pardon the Interuption I've heard a few reporters from across the country acknowledge the Spurs talent. And to think, all it took was winning two championships in five years.

GoSpurs21
12-03-2004, 01:13 PM
the media is warming to the style of play that the Spurs are showing this year

but until Tim warms up to the media, those in the media will always claim the Spurs personalities are boring

I just wish they would talk to some of the other Spurs. I think Tony and Bruce are extremely funny guys

missed Barry on the Rome show, but Rome said Brent told a Tim Duncan story and that Barry would be hooking Tim up on the Rome show?

anybody got any details on the interview?

PeterBurns
12-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Barry was great. Joked with Rome.

Said that he wants to be more vocal, but has to earn the respect of everyone on the team first.

He's excited about not only this year, but the next 3.

Told a great story about going into the Spurs gym in July to talk business and he hears some sneakers on the floor. He thinks it's the Pop working out another Euro players, he stands up and sees that it's Tim Duncan working on defensive movement drills by himself. Barry then says "That's when I knew this is the place to be"

tekdragon
12-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Solid D:

Thank you very much for the heads up. I was able to run out to the car and catch the tail end of the interview.

Much appreciated.

td

Solid D
12-03-2004, 02:19 PM
No problem. I had just walked in also when he came on. I've heard that you can go to the Rome website and listen to his interviews after the fact. I've never done it so I don't know what is involved or if it's true.

Just to add to what utsagolfpb said, I also remember Brent saying he couldn't resist going to the Spurs. He could have had more money or a starting position elsewhere but he wants to win and this team (Spurs) has an opportunity with Tim, Tony, and Manu signed up long-term that with the core unit set, the Spurs will be in a position to win every year for the next 3-4 years. He jokingly said he thought he would just "Steve Kerr it" with the Spurs for the next 3-4 years.

He was asked about playing against his brother in Atlanta and how he thinks Jon likes it in ATL. He cracked Rome up when he said matter of factly that Jon is comfortable returning to the college level again, or something like that (referring to Jon's alma mater GA Tech and it's proximity and likeness to the pro team there).

Brent encouraged Jim to call him again and maybe next time Brent will slide Tim in there with him on the call. Rome seemed to like that and Rome actually thanked the Spurs organization for working with them to arrange the interview with Brent.

That's all I can remember.

Manu20
12-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks Solid D for the info.

I have seen Brent on some TV interviews and he seems very charasmatic guy. Maybe Tim can speak up a little bit more like Brent.

MannyIsGod
12-03-2004, 02:36 PM
I honestly think SA fans will always have penis envy when it comes to what they think the national media thinks of them.

whottt
12-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Rome wasn't really a Spur hater...just a Drob hater...and that pretty much says all you need to know about him...this guys rails on the lack of character in pro sports...when he has less of a character than most of them, and he trashed one of the guys with the best character in all of pro-sports.

As for his being more favorable to us...

Rome is a cheap whore...players and teams that don't give him interviews get trashed....players and teams that do give him interviews don't....

I think you'll find that Rome's more favorable view of the Spurs started around the same time Bruce Bowen started doing interviews on his show...So if you want to give him credit for his kinder view of the Spurs...you might want to give Bowen a large share of the credit for that.

I still listen to his show...because the dude is funny and it's funny to hear him trash things that happen in sports or stupid things that people do...but as far as journalistic integrity...most of his interviews are now(Maybe thanks to Chris, I mean Jim Everett :) ) an asskissing fest, and after the interview he reads emails and sucks himself off on the quality of his interview.

SPARKY
12-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Should the Spurs reel off a few titles in a row they will begin to develop a greater national (and international) following. This team doesn't offer the drama of the Shaq-Phil-Kobe Lakers or the MJ-Phil-Dennis Bulls but they do have their own style, a laid back old school approach which should appeal to both the young and the old who are fed up with disgraceful pampered prima donnas like Kobe Bryant and Ron Artest.

This edition of the Spurs is also fun to watch not only on a fundamental basketball level with their solid defensive and offensive execution but also on a casual fan level with their motion offense, crafty passers, The Flying Ginobili, and Duncan's interior dominance.

Also, the Spurs have an always attractive color scheme since they locked up the PINK in an Alamodome storage closet.

exstatic
12-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Actually, Rome's been pretty supportive of the Spurs recently

A. They are THE team now.
B. The only player on the Spurs 99 team that would talk to him was Kerr. Everyone else had heard enough of his Mermaid crap and general dissing of the Spurs.
C. The Spurs have pretty much blown a hole in the whole Jungle Karma BS.

Solid D
12-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Don't forget Elliott. I remember him talking to Rome before Kerr ever did as a Spur.

whottt
12-03-2004, 03:15 PM
He's always going to diss teams that lose like they are heartless(no different than most fans I guess)..even if he's got some of their guys on his program...but he definitely has different shades of rhetoric depending on his relations with that team and it's players...

Props to exs for noticing the Spurs destroyed the Jungle Karma myth...I hadn't actually thought about that but you are right...that and their clean image must be why he had to try a different type of approach with his anti-spurism...it wasn't so much that he bashed them daily...it's like they didn't exist to him...You couldn't even tell if LA was playing the Spurs half the time because he wouldn't even mention them...And you wouldn't even know an NBA champion had been crowned when the Spurs won because he only talked about it for like 5 minutes...but if they lost...it was Charmin city...

ALVAREZ6
12-03-2004, 04:01 PM
whoooooooooooooottttt

TMTTRIO
12-03-2004, 05:15 PM
I have to say this is the most exciting team that the Spurs have had in a long time with a couple of highlight reels every night.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-03-2004, 06:45 PM
What is the Jungle-Karma Theory?

whottt
12-03-2004, 08:16 PM
If an athlete/exec appears on Rome's show for an interview, he or his team will have good luck and success...

If an athlete/exec refuses to appear on his show, the athlete or his team will struggle and have bad luck.