PDA

View Full Version : Mike and Mike on espn are idiots

dav4463
06-13-2007, 06:08 AM
All they are talking about is how they think Delaney blew the call and LeBron should be on the line for 3 free throws. What a couple of asswipes! They just hate the Spurs so they are grasping for anything to make the Spurs look bad.

kris
06-13-2007, 07:05 AM
That does sound pretty desperate. Even if Lebron goes to the line, he isn't making all 3 of those shots. Then, even if he somehow did, Cavs still aren't winning the series (and probably the game itself.) Lebron did the best thing by downplaying it because the result is going to be the same and if you bitch in the post game, you end up looking like Steve Nash.

milkyway21
06-13-2007, 07:08 AM
They think LeBroom can make ALL those 3 FTs?

Because I think he'd miss ONE. And it would only embarrass the king :oops

kris
06-13-2007, 07:10 AM
They think LeBroom can make ALL those 3 FTs?

Because I think he'd miss ONE. And it would only embarrass the king :oops

Haha - Lebroom. Nice one.

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 07:11 AM
I'm just glad Verlander threw the no-no last night, or this would be ALL the talk on sports radio.

It was a completely unwatchable game and I feel bad for the LeBrons, especially after how they handled the issue post-game (with class). A win is a win, but that one was crappy all-around.

On M&M, they just report the "big" news and neither are basketball enthusiasts...so of course they glaze over the mediocrity of the entire game and about how the Cavs missed open shot after open shot that would've kept them from being in that position at game's end.

twentyone
06-13-2007, 07:12 AM
All they are talking about is how they think Delaney blew the call and LeBron should be on the line for 3 free throws. What a couple of asswipes! They just hate the Spurs so they are grasping for anything to make the Spurs look bad.

EVeryones taking SVG's take that it was in the act because he was making a shooting motion. But if you watch where the whistle should have been blown it was too early. SVG is .4ing us on that play, he never started the clock from the time the whistle should have blown.

That ref was trying to save Lebron by giving him the shot at a 3 instead of blowing the whistle for 2 FT's. Mark the tape.

And yah I agree with the title: They are idiots, for a whole multitude of reasons.

kris
06-13-2007, 07:13 AM
In two years, none of this will matter anyway. All anyone will know is the Spurs have the paper weights to back up their fat fans overconfidence.

Oberto #1 Fan
06-13-2007, 07:14 AM
cavs fans should be glad that a whistle wasn't blown, because if so it would have been before the shot and 2 free throws, not 3.

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 07:16 AM
EVeryones taking SVG's take that it was in the act because he was making a shooting motion. But if you watch where the whistle should have been blown it was too early. SVG is .4ing us on that play, he never started the clock from the time the whistle should have blown.

That ref was trying to save Lebron by giving him the shot at a 3 instead of blowing the whistle for 2 FT's. Mark the tape.

And yah I agree with the title: They are idiots, for a whole multitude of reasons.

LeBron didn't put the ball back on the floor after the contact. Continuation has been called for a whole hell of a lot more ambiguous plays....that would've been a fairly easy call if it was made.

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 07:18 AM
lebron should be happy he didn't HAVE to make those free throws.......he would not have been the next MJ, instead he would have become the new Nick Anderson.

I'll agree with this....the talk would've been "choke" if the foul got called and he didn't nail all three. That's not a way LeBron or Nike would've like to go out either.

Armando
06-13-2007, 07:42 AM
It was before the attempt so it would have been 2 and not 3 free throws. Besides given James's history of choking at the line did Cavs fans really want him to take game tying free throws?

fyatuk
06-13-2007, 07:49 AM
LeBron didn't put the ball back on the floor after the contact. Continuation has been called for a whole hell of a lot more ambiguous plays....that would've been a fairly easy call if it was made.

Yep. I agree it would have been continuation and he would have gotten 3. The refs weren't expecting him to get the shot up that quickly, which is why they let it go (though I'm suprised they didn't blow the late whistle).

It's what Lebron gets for jacking up a horrid shot because of contact without a whistle when he had time to get up at the line and try a decent shot at 3.

Avitus1
06-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Probably would of hit a nice air ball, anyways.

spurtime
06-13-2007, 07:57 AM
I'm amazed that Bruce made such a stupid play...We're very fortunate #1 That it wasn't called and #2 (even worse) that it wasn't called and the subsequent shot didn't go in. Bruce would really have been a goat. I wonder what the hell was going through Bruce's mind?

lebomb
06-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Lebron admitted he wasnt fouled in the post game interview..........

/THREAD

possessed
06-13-2007, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't listen to Mangirl and Meatball in the Morning's take on basketball. Neither one of them has a clue. Meatball usually has a good take on things during football season, Mangirl is useless, I'm sure when they were picking teams as a kid he was usually the last kid picked.

Spurminator
06-13-2007, 08:41 AM
I'm amazed that Bruce made such a stupid play...We're very fortunate #1 That it wasn't called and #2 (even worse) that it wasn't called and the subsequent shot didn't go in. Bruce would really have been a goat. I wonder what the hell was going through Bruce's mind?

What was going through his mind was foul LeBron before he could take a shot, which he did. It just wasn't called.

But there would have been no continuation given to LeBron.

samikeyp
06-13-2007, 08:46 AM
:lmao @ "mangirl and meatball"

spurtime
06-13-2007, 08:52 AM
What was going through his mind was foul LeBron before he could take a shot, which he did. It just wasn't called.

But there would have been no continuation given to LeBron.

It looked to me like a continuation play. There was no dribble and he had already started making his move for the ultimate shot. Whatever...I'm glad they didn't call it and we won.

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 09:20 AM

Don Quixote
I like Mike & Mike, always have. Even if they saw a foul on the last play (which is true, there was), that does not make them tools. They're only journalists. Personally, I like them to take an opinion, makes life more interesting.

AFBlue
Lebron admitted he wasnt fouled in the post game interview..........

/THREAD

LeBron argued the call when it happened. In the interview he was being professional and not putting the blame on the last play for losing the game. He did the right thing in that respect, because they missed too many open opportunities and it shouldn't have come down to that last play....but LeBron thought he was fouled, don't let the post-game fool you.

dmac
06-13-2007, 09:21 AM

The best way to handle sports talk radio is to turn it off. It's like old cheese, it stinks and it should be ignored.

Don Quixote
06-13-2007, 09:23 AM
LeBrick was fouled, no question. But that's not why they lost. They had a golden opportunity to take last night's game -- all they had to do was make a couple of shots. But they didn't. In fact, they were worse. Therefore, they lost.

M&M, like most of the media, just want to see a well-played, interesting series.

Don Quixote
Let's not get a persecution complex. The world is not out to get us.

ALVAREZ6
Mike and Mike are always idiots about everything...especially the Mike Greenberg or whatever the other Mike is, not Mike Golic. That guy is such a pussy-faced cunt, he couldn't get enough bitching out of the result of the Spurs-Suns series.

coopdogg3
06-13-2007, 09:24 AM
LeBron argued the call when it happened. In the interview he was being professional and not putting the blame on the last play for losing the game. He did the right thing in that respect, because they missed too many open opportunities and it shouldn't have come down to that last play....but LeBron thought he was fouled, don't let the post-game fool you.

Well LeBron should think he was fouled - because he was. I was surprised about the non-call as well. I was really expecting a whiny, excuse-ridden post-game (thanks Phoenix) - I was impressed that LeBron handled it so well. That speaks well of him.

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 09:30 AM
I really prefer Colin Cowherd to M&M, because he makes sensational claims but then allows people to call in and dispute....to which he distorts their arguments and makes them look like idiots, but still, it makes for good radio.

M&M are "general" sports fans and they're going to chase the big headlines and talk about the controversy...it's what they do.

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Well LeBron should think he was fouled - because he was. I was surprised about the non-call as well. I was really expecting a whiny, excuse-ridden post-game (thanks Phoenix) - I was impressed that LeBron handled it so well. That speaks well of him.

Agreed on all counts...

DarkReign
06-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Fine, be blind homers.

It was a foul, and it was a blown call. The issue isnt whether he would have made all 3 shots (doubt it), the issue is he should have had the chance to.

All in all, that game was butt ugly. I expect a very friendly whistle for the Cavs next game.

Spurminator
06-13-2007, 09:34 AM
They never give a continuation call when the player throws up a shot after contact, especially when it's near the end of the game and the shot is taken 5 feet behind the 3-point line.

Kobe tries that stuff all the time and he never gets it.

Dave McNulla
06-13-2007, 09:35 AM
it was a bad call, but there were so many bad calls.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Lebron wasn't going up to shoot until AFTER the foul occurred. Mike Brown even admitted as much in the post-game, he said he told James to look for the foul and James told him that if Bowen fouled him on the floor he was going to go up immediately and try and get the refs to call it a shooting foul.

Woulda been two on the floor if they called it. LeBron didn't get screwed, the refs were trying to let him get a shot at a clean three instead of sending him to the line for two.

Fouled Out
06-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Yeah, that idiot saying the Finals are not like the bulls atmosphere with flash and highlights. If that is the case get the hell off that seat go home and pop in the DVD of the 90's NBA finals with the bulls. His show on ESPN sucks that idiot does not belong there with barry's brother and grant hill.

MadDog73
06-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Again, it's not the Spurs fault the refs didn't call the foul. As Aggie says, they were probably doing LeBron a favor (letting him shoot a 3 rather than lose the game with 2 FTs).

NoMoneyDown
06-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Didn't the Spurs have a foul to give? If so, and it was not a continuation play, there would have been no FT's anyway.

Obstructed_View
06-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Didn't the Spurs have a foul to give? If so, and it was not a continuation play, there would have been no FT's anyway.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I've slept since then. Can you imagine James hitting the three and the officials waving it off to give them the ball out of bounds? No win situation for the zebras.

MadDog73
06-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I've slept since then. Can you imagine James hitting the three and the officials waving it off to give them the ball out of bounds? No win situation for the zebras.

:lol

Oh, man. No wonder they didn't call it, I forgot they had a foul to give as well.

Man, Spurs played terrific D last night, and all we hear about is what a boring game it was and... oh, so-and-so had a no-hitter in baseball.

Why is it so impressive to have a no-hitter, but when we hold the Cavs to 72, it's just boring?

Obstructed_View
06-13-2007, 10:04 AM
That was an exciting game, but it was incredibly bad basketball on both ends.

texasqb2
06-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Come on guys, it's media....they HAVE to say this stuff to fill newspapers or radio segments, who cares?

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 10:25 AM
They never give a continuation call when the player throws up a shot after contact, especially when it's near the end of the game and the shot is taken 5 feet behind the 3-point line.

Kobe tries that stuff all the time and he never gets it.

Are you kidding me? Ginobili gets that call all the time, and so do alot of other players.

Having said that, I don't think he should've expected the call as it was the waning moments in a playoff game...refs hardly call anything in that situation.

Spurminator
06-13-2007, 10:28 AM
They don't get those calls at the end of games when they throw up a three pointer 5 feet behind the basket after the foul. Ginobili gets continuation when he's driving towards the basket.

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Have any of you seen some of the rediculous continuation fouls refs have given?!?! I've seen guys get hacked at the three point line, keep the dribble alive, then put the ball in for the layup after the whistle had been blown and STILL get continuation.

James got hit as the ball was coming up, so he decided to shoot figuring that he'd get the call. He didn't put the ball back on the floor....it would've been continuation.

Budkin
06-13-2007, 10:33 AM
The foul was before the shot anyway so the whole fucking argument (hey Wilbon I'm talking to you too) is irrelevant.

MisterWhodat
06-13-2007, 10:35 AM
lol

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 10:36 AM
They don't get those calls at the end of games when they throw up a three pointer 5 feet behind the basket after the foul. Ginobili gets continuation when he's driving towards the basket.

Wrong. One of Ginobili's pattented moves is to pick up his dribble, pump fake, get the defender to commit in the air, wait until the contact is created, then jack up a shot.

Listen, I'm not complaining about it...it's a savvy veteran move and I love it when Gino puts it on guys. But it's the same thing.....wait until contact is initiated and throw up a shot to get continuation.

But, I agree with your point about the ref's no-call in the last seconds of an NBA Finals game.

greywheel
06-13-2007, 10:37 AM

No, Manu fouled at the 1:55 mark.

Ginobili Foul:Shooting (2 PF) 1:55
1:55
[CLE 64-67] James Free Throw 1 of 2 (20 PTS)
1:55
[CLE 65-67] James Free Throw 2 of 2 (21 PTS)

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 10:39 AM
The foul was before the shot anyway so the whole fucking argument (hey Wilbon I'm talking to you too) is irrelevant.

The ball was off the floor, he never put it back down, and he immediately went into the shooting motion once the contact was created....

IF it was a foul, it was a continuation foul.

Spurminator
06-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Wrong. One of Ginobili's pattented moves is to pick up his dribble, pump fake, get the defender to commit in the air, wait until the contact is created, then jack up a shot.

Listen, I'm not complaining about it...it's a savvy veteran move and I love it when Gino puts it on guys. But it's the same thing.....wait until contact is initiated and throw up a shot to get continuation.

But, I agree with your point about the ref's no-call in the last seconds of an NBA Finals game.

How is Ginobili's pump fake shot anything like what I described? When has he ever done that 5 feet behind the three point line in an instance where everybody knows he had no intention of shooting from there?

A pump fake, usually, is part of a shooting motion. It's a whole lot different from being fouled behind the line and turning to launch a shot after contact was made.

Spurminator
06-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Regarding the Larry Johnson shot, that was clearly a bad call, but not because they gave him continuation... based on when they called the foul, he was in the act of shooting. That said, they called a foul when there was no contact, and they should have called it earlier when Davis hit LJ with his body.

Go For Tree
06-13-2007, 10:48 AM

what was going through bruces head was that his head coach told him to foul on the inbound to put them on the line for two when trailing by 3. although the spurs never use it, its a strategy many teams use when clinging to a 3 put lead in the final seconds. lebron felt contact and jacked up a ridiculous 3 before hearing a whistle. the fact is theres almost always a foul on a last second shot but the reds seem to swallow their whistles unless its a bone crushing play. furthermore when they blow the whistle on a last second shot, unless the shooter is in the air when the foul is called they 100% of the time call it "on the floor" to prevent superstars from jacking up 28 foot fade away threes.........

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 10:48 AM
How is Ginobili's pump fake shot anything like what I described? When has he ever done that 5 feet behind the three point line in an instance where everybody knows he had no intention of shooting from there?

A pump fake, usually, is part of a shooting motion. It's a whole lot different from being fouled behind the line and turning to launch a shot after contact was made.

Most of the time when Ginobili gets the contact, he throws up a wild shot that he has no intention, and no chance for that matter, of making....so that's a moot point.

The difference between Manu's shot is that he clearly has the defender jumping into him before he shoots...with this situation LeBron is moving away from Bruce when contact is initiated.

Look, it's a smart play and it gets called alot....a player hears a whistle or feels significant contact and jacks up a shot to get continuation. Sometimes the gamble pays off and the foul is called.....and sometimes it doesn't. But IF that foul is called, it's continuation.

Obstructed_View
06-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Regarding the Larry Johnson shot, that was clearly a bad call, but not because they gave him continuation... based on when they called the foul, he was in the act of shooting. That said, they called a foul when there was no contact, and they should have called it earlier when Davis hit LJ with his body.
They called the hack on his wrist, but the whistle was late. He took the same step and the same shot as Lebron did.

Spurminator
06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
The difference between Manu's shot is that he clearly has the defender jumping into him before he shoots...with this situation LeBron is moving away from Bruce when contact is initiated.

Exactly.

I wish I had video, but Kobe tries this all the time and he never gets continuation. I've even seen him do it when he arguably SHOULD have been awarded continuation, but the refs didn't give it to him because they felt he was throwing up a wild shot in anticipation of the foul.

Obstructed_View
06-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Exactly.

I wish I had video, but Kobe tries this all the time and he never gets continuation. I've even seen him do it when he arguably SHOULD have been awarded continuation, but the refs didn't give it to him because they felt he was throwing up a wild shot in anticipation of the foul.
The refs don't like it when players play them instead of thinking about the game situation.

AFBlue
06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Exactly.

I've seen it go both ways when a player intentionally "jacks up" a shot....I can even recall Finley getting it called at one point this season. Again, it's a gamble and one that obviously didn't pay off...but it's been called before.

Same deal with "flops"....Varajao ends up on the floor seemingly after every possession. Sometimes the opposing player gets a charge, sometimes he gets a blocking foul, and sometimes the refs play on.

You might be right in assuming that the refs didn't want to call a foul because they knew the angle James was playing...but IF they called the foul, I find it hard to believe it wouldn't have been continuation.

703 Spurz
06-13-2007, 11:28 AM
I like Mike & Mike, always have. Even if they saw a foul on the last play (which is true, there was), that does not make them tools. They're only journalists. Personally, I like them to take an opinion, makes life more interesting.

Basically. But don't tell anyone in here that. If they disagree with the fans here, they're automatically assholes

Spurminator
06-13-2007, 11:31 AM
To each his own, but I find them to be almost unlistenable. Regardless of their take on my teams. he only reason I occasionally catch them is because I still prefer them to a ten minute commercial break on my preferred sports talk station.

SA210
06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Mike and Mike on espn are idiots

Agreed