PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Finals: Quick Hits

kris
06-13-2007, 07:06 AM
What in the world was Anderson Varejao doing on that post up flip with 10 seconds to go? Lebron handed that ball off to him to reset, not so the NBA’s resident Side Show Bob test the backboard.

The first two games weren’t that bad, but this game was so ugly it could have been mistaken for a hotly contested preaseason game. The only reason it wasn’t totally boring was because the Spurs played down to the Cavaliers level and never took ahold of the game down the stretch

Lebron did get fouled. Was he in the act of shooting? It’s close, but the fact that it wasn’t called really goes against the whole NBA conspiracy theory. I don’t think the NBA would want the Spurs to go up 3-0 instead of being 2-1 ever. But, maybe the NBA wanted to have the Spurs sweep the Cavs so it could prove their was no conspiracy theory, right? (However, I still think the refs were up to some chicanery in last year’s WCFs.)

Jeff Van Gundy is a very refreshing change of pace. Between hall monitor Mike Breen and bad take Mark Jackson, its good to have Van Gundy break up the monotony and question the groupthink.

Tony Parker is worthy of the mention, but no way he should get Finals MVP over Duncan. I think even Tony knows this. Speaking of Duncan, he deceptively had a horrible outing after the first quarter.

Is Mike Brown a bad coach or are the Cavs horrible? I think this one has got to be a mixture. Why did the Cavs stop posting up Lebron? I heard that question on the radio and its a good point. On the other hand, what are you going to do if Varejao decides to scrap the Cavaliers season plan of ”pass to Lebron” and tries to play hero?

Its good to see Michael Finley on the verge of accomplishing something neither Dirk, Steve Nash, nor any of his former Maverick teammates have done. Thanks to Mark Cuban for keeping him exceedingly rich while he helped the Spurs on this title run.

How over is this series? It’s pretty over. The Spurs have already requested permission to bypass Game 4 so Pop can start mapping out the river parade route with his assistants.

The Cleveland basketball goals look harder to make then other places and not just because Game 3 turned very defensive. The rims and glass appear extra tight.

Congratulations to the Spurs for playing the right way, without having major negativity, drama, sideshows, or distractions which is apparently what those not watching need. The Spurs have bored themselves right into the brink of their 4th NBA championship and the yawn couldn’t be much louder.

Now that the Spurs have won another odd yeared title, what new rule changes will David Stern think about? The sanctity of the game needs to be messed with again for what Stern thinks will increase the league’s profitability.

sa_butta
06-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Noone outside of San Antonio is happy right now. Especially Cleveland. Does the rest of the world even realize we are about to get our 4th NBA title.

MajorMike
06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Agree with Van Gundy. He says it like it is, not like how everyone wants to hear it.

I thought the refs were bad both ways. Bruce was throw to the floor by Bron with no call, and on the next possession Bron barely bumps Bruce and then they call the charge. The charge on Manu was laughable (as Van Gundy pointed out) and Manu clearly mugged Gibson on a 3 attempt late in the game. Not to mention that last call of the game. What's most humorous about that call is that the Spurs didn't get the call we wanted, either.

Mike Brown is a bad coach. I'm sorry, the guy has awful plays, terrible leadership, crappy subs and just plain bad decisions. However, as bad as the coach has been, the team around Bron is awful. I would like to have MAYBE 3 players other than Bron on this team (Z, Andy, Sasha) and all 3 would ride the pine here (altho you can debate Fab vs Z). 2 of them start for that team. They have no true PG. They make bad decisions all over the floor. They are young and green. Bad shooting is catchy on their team. Even their superstar has been seriously plagued by turnovers (17 in 3 games?).

Do you realize that in the playoffs, the Cavs have shot under 40% 5 times (one of which was the Game 6 win against Detroit) and under 35% twice? When you think about that stat, erase the fact that they shot over 50% as a team in the series against the hapless Wiz. So in the 2 series wins over he Nets and Pistons and in the 3 FInals games (16 games) they have shot 30-something % 5 times. 3 other times they have shot under 42%. If they are off - the whole team is off. Only once in the playoffs (the historical 48 point 2OT win) has Bron been good enough to overcome his teams poor shooting. Even that was just barely.

Seriously here, the Cavs are not a great team. They swept an awful Wiz team without their 2 superstars (and the 4th game they only won due to a frantic 31-point quarter). They beat a Nets team on their last go around that shouldn't have even been IN the playoffs, and most likely wouldn't have advanced if TJ Ford hadn't gotten his flu/food poisoning/dehydration bout. They beat a Pistons team in complete chaos that totally imploded when faced with the 1st sign of adversity.

samikeyp
06-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Noone outside of San Antonio is happy right now.

Speak for yourself, my friend! :)

The fact that the Pistons are out and the Spurs are close to #4...being in Pistons country is fun right now. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Now that the Spurs have won another odd yeared title, what new rule changes will David Stern think about? The sanctity of the game needs to be messed with again for what Stern thinks will increase the league’s profitability.

Teams that play defensive stoppers more than 20 minutes a game will be forced to spot the other team 10 points to start the game.

sa_butta
06-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Speak for yourself, my friend! :)

The fact that the Pistons are out and the Spurs are close to #4...being in Pistons country is fun right now. :lolI meant the general consensus. I know we some Spurs fans scattered around but the majority are not happy campers.

samikeyp
06-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Oh I know that bro. Its all good.

When I first got my Ginobili jersey, the Pistons were still alive and I got looks of contempt, now I get looks of envy or sadness. :)

sa_butta
06-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Oh I know that bro. Its all good.

When I first got my Ginobili jersey, the Pistons were still alive and I got looks of contempt, now I get looks of envy or sadness. :)when I was a kid, I walked all over the campus of MSU with UM gear. I was visiting family and I didnt even realize how serious the rivalry was. They actually have a very nice campus. And speaking of Ginobili jersey a buddy of mine is headed up there and will be un full Spurs gear.