PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Bombings in Spain

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-03-2004, 01:03 PM
No link yet, turn on Fox or CNN.

JoeChalupa
12-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Is there another election coming up in Spain?

whottt
12-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Further proof that these guys and France have their finger on the pulse of terror. Appeasement and capitulation are obviously the way to go.

Kori Ellis
12-03-2004, 02:58 PM
MADRID, Spain (CNN) -- Five explosions hit Madrid petrol stations as residents streamed out of the city for a holiday weekend, following a warning in the name of the Basque separatist group ETA.

Six people, including two police officers, were slightly injured by blasts at two locations, Alfredo Prada, the top justice official for the Madrid regional government, told the regional network Tele Madrid.

The Friday evening blasts went off in the northern and western sides of the city, not in the center.

Police described the bombs as low-potency and said they apparently were stashed in trash cans or other containers. The explosions caused massive traffic jams ahead of the Constitution Day holiday and a Roman Catholic holy day.

A caller to the Basque newspaper Gara issued a warning in the name of ETA about an hour before the explosions, Gara said on its Web site.

ETA has made claims of responsibility to Gara previously.

The caller said the bombs were set to explode at 1730 GMT, Gara reported, according to Reuters.

The gas stations were evacuated before the blasts, The Associated Press quoted the news agency Efe as reporting.

Spain's traffic department said four major roads out of Madrid were blocked. "We recommend not leaving Madrid for now if it is not strictly necessary," Reuters quoted department spokesman as saying.

ETA, which has been blamed for hundreds of deaths in Spain over the past several decades, is considered a terrorist group by the United States and the European Union.

Authorities recently arrested top ETA leaders in France and seized large amounts of weapons and ammunition in raids. Because of the crackdown, the Spanish government had led the public to believe that ETA was weakening.

MannyIsGod
12-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Not the same terrorists as Al Queda. You can't paint all these guys with the same brush even though these fuckers use the same methods.

Hook Dem
12-03-2004, 03:06 PM
The people of Spain signalled a weakness in their election. ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION AMERICA?????

12-03-2004, 03:08 PM
But Manny, hasn't it been proven before that these guys (ETA/IRA/FARC/Al Queda/Etc.) have used the same training facilities in the past and do have some loose ties?

I could swear that I have read in the past where this has taken place.

MannyIsGod
12-03-2004, 03:22 PM
The people of Spain signalled a weakness in their election. ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION AMERICA?????

Wrong, this is a conflict that has been long in place before any election and will be there afterwords.

This is a totaly different group from those who perpetrated the train bombings and has different motivations.

whottt
12-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Not the same terrorists as Al Queda. You can't paint all these guys with the same brush even though these fuckers use the same methods.

There have been reports of links and cooperation between ETA and Al-Qaeda.

Even if what you say is true...to the majority of people terror is terror...and most people do paint it with a sweeping brush...do you care about the differences in the people trying to kill you? I don't....so even if what you say is true...the message sent when they capitulated to Al-Qaeda only gave the ETA even more incentive to conduct acts of terror to try and get their aims met.

GoldToe
12-03-2004, 03:30 PM
There will be another terrorist attack in the U.S. and it has nothing to do with who is president or the election.

And the finger pointing begin will begin the minute after it occurs.

If Bush is in office he'll claim it was still Clinton's fault and if it happens after Bush leaves office it will be because he is no longer in office.

Terrorism will never be defeated.

MannyIsGod
12-03-2004, 03:33 PM
There have been reports of links and cooperation between ETA and Al-Qaeda.

Even if what you say is true...to the majority of people terror is terror...and most people do paint it with a sweeping brush...do you care about the differences in the people trying to kill you? I don't....so even if what you say is true...the message sent when they capitulated to Al-Qaeda only gave the ETA even more incentive to conduct acts of terror to try and get their aims met.

ETA wasn't going and isn't going to stop.

Bottom Line.

you can't just bludgeon these groups into submission.

I'm too tired to argue though.

exstatic
12-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Don't waste your bandwidth, Manny. Some Basque separatist bombings somehow justify the Iraq invasion, the election of Bush, and any other ol' thing they want.

spurster
12-03-2004, 05:02 PM
I think the logic is that Spain staying in Iraq would have convinced the Basque ETA to give up.

whottt
12-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Believe it or not Spurster, that is pretty close to the logic....

The logic is that you aren't going to allow acts of terrorism to interfere with the governments stance on issues...Whether Spain was right or wrong to be in Iraq was irrelevant...but there is no estimation to the damage done to Spain's security by allowing terrorist actions to totally alter the face of the government...incidentally, I don't hold the Spanish government responsible for this...I hold the people of Spain responsible. Was they that encouraged terrorists and gave them hope that terrorism could influence the actions of the government...they did it by voting in an opposition party with a pro terrorist stance after a terrorist attack.

Now, whenever there are potential terrorist that have a problem with the government...terrorism will be the first option they consider....because they've seen it work before. You must think they are so stupid that they wouldn't try what has had success before....as their first option.

Intimidation works in Spain and that going to be the first option of the radicals in that country for the forseeable future. Bullys don't go away by you being nice to them.

E20
12-03-2004, 07:17 PM
OK, If AQ is cooperating with ETA. Then it just blows the whole idea that AQ wants to kill everyone who isn't non muslim.

Hook Dem
12-03-2004, 07:34 PM
ETA wasn't going and isn't going to stop.

Bottom Line.

you can't just bludgeon these groups into submission.

I'm too tired to argue though.
I did not say you could bludgeon them into submission. I agree that you can't. Those people don't have any reasoning power. The only options left to us is to submit to them(and probably be killed anyway) or kill them first. Do you see any other solution? I would be glad to listen with an open mind.

MannyIsGod
12-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Believe it or not Spurster, that is pretty close to the logic....

The logic is that you aren't going to allow acts of terrorism to interfere with the governments stance on issues...Whether Spain was right or wrong to be in Iraq was irrelevant...but there is no estimation to the damage done to Spain's security by allowing terrorist actions to totally alter the face of the government...incidentally, I don't hold the Spanish government responsible for this...I hold the people of Spain responsible. Was they that encouraged terrorists and gave them hope that terrorism could influence the actions of the government...they did it by voting in an opposition party with a pro terrorist stance after a terrorist attack.

Actually, believing that terrorist acts can somehow NOT effect the government is so damn flawed. You know why terrorism persists? Because it WORKS. It does garner a response in some manner, and for you to sit there and say that a government can in essence ignore the acts is so flawed and downright oblivious.

You don't hold the government responsible? Last time I checked government was meant to be an extension of the people, and the people of Spain in an overwhelming majority did NOT want to be part of the Iraq conflict. Their government, against the wishes of the people, involved them in it. Then, when the people had a chance to get what they wanted, they DID. How can you NOT blame the government? You blame the people because democracy actually worked the way it's meant to work?

Now, whenever there are potential terrorist that have a problem with the government...terrorism will be the first option they consider....because they've seen it work before. You must think they are so stupid that they wouldn't try what has had success before....as their first option.

What other options woudl terorrists consider before terror? Last time I checked Al Queda and the like don't circulate pettitions.

Intimidation works in Spain and that going to be the first option of the radicals in that country for the forseeable future. Bullys don't go away by you being nice to them.

LMAO. This is just nuts. THE TERROR WAS ALREADY ON GOING. This is akin with blaming a person who tosses a cigarette into a bonfire for starting a fire.

Hook Dem
12-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Seven more bombings being reported all over Spain. Appeasing the terrorists sure did work for the liberals in Spain. You would think they would have learned from France's mistake. Well hell....France didn't learn from it's own mistake so forget that. I guess we'll have to bail them out again so they can hate on us some more. Fuck that!!!!!!!

JoeChalupa
12-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Terrorism is here to stay.

Kori Ellis
12-06-2004, 04:49 PM
:( We have family in Madrid.