PDA

View Full Version : Spurs finally repeat in '08?

ancestron
06-13-2007, 10:48 AM
I know its pre-mature but since no team has ever come back from 3-0, and I really dont see the biggest comeback in NBA finals history being pulled off by this Cavs team, I think its safe to speculate about next year.
Almost everyone is returning, can the Spurs finally go back to back?

Switchman
06-13-2007, 10:48 AM
It's going to be a lot tougher than this year imo.

lefty
06-13-2007, 10:49 AM
If we stay healthy and develop young players, yes. Also, we must wait the all-star break to win more games.

Mr. Body
06-13-2007, 10:50 AM
There's a pretty good shot at it. They need to make some good decisions this off-season and should be highly competitive.

fuckespn
06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
If we get Pietrus or Noc than yeah definatly

CosmicCowboy
06-13-2007, 10:56 AM
No guarantees that we even win the West. Spurs have a bullseye on their back and every team in the West will be re-evaluating and re-structuring to beat the Spurs.

td4mvp21
06-13-2007, 10:59 AM
We can't keep all the same players. We need upgrades. Hopefully Butler is ready to go next year because I see him being a perfect fit for the Spurs- a good rebounder, shot blocker, and decent scorer at the 5 spot. If he's not, we really should get someone like that. Oberto had an excellent Jazz series, but he still can't create his own shot and even when he is wide open, he still misses. Plus, he's not that great of a rebounder/shotblocker. Elson must go, Bonner must go, Barry must go, Beno must go. If James White won't be ready, then get a Pietrus type player, or Pietrus himself :lol. If we can upgrade I think we can. Remember, other teams this offseason will improve their rosters even more, including the Mavs/Suns. The Spurs must make some moves this offseason in order for them to repeat.

SAGambler
06-13-2007, 11:07 AM
I think the Spurs have to make a couple of moves this offseason. West is probably going to just get tougher next year. Think Beno goes along with Brent. Not so sure they won't keep Bonner. He was showing pretty well before the injury.

As long as the core 3 are playing well, we always have a shot at winning it all.

Actually we have been pretty lucky to not have any serious injuries to contend with this year. Let's hope that luck holds next year too.

CubanMustGo
06-13-2007, 11:11 AM
And we got REALLY lucky with injuries, or lack thereof, this year. With the team aging that is not a given in '08.

Utah: will be better
Denver: will be better
Dallas: will at least learn not to let teams that can beat them into the playoffs
Phoenix: this year may have been their best shot
Houston: meh but if Yao can stay healthy a whole year ...
Lakers: God only knows
Golden State: Phoenix-lite
Clippers: slight improvement

Seattle: getting better
Portland: getting better
Minny: another frustrating year for KG

BUT FIRST WE NEED ONE MORE "W"

ancestron
06-13-2007, 11:13 AM
And we got REALLY lucky with injuries, or lack thereof, this year. With the team aging that is not a given in '08.

Dallas: will at least learn not to let teams that can beat them into the playoffs

Phoenix-lite :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
06-13-2007, 11:24 AM
:lol we haven't won this one yet, and you already talking about repeating?

703 Spurz
06-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Yeah bro, need to actually win that 4th game first

coopdogg3
06-13-2007, 11:29 AM
We can't keep all the same players. We need upgrades. Hopefully Butler is ready to go next year because I see him being a perfect fit for the Spurs- a good rebounder, shot blocker, and decent scorer at the 5 spot. If he's not, we really should get someone like that. Oberto had an excellent Jazz series, but he still can't create his own shot and even when he is wide open, he still misses. Plus, he's not that great of a rebounder/shotblocker. Elson must go, Bonner must go, Barry must go, Beno must go. If James White won't be ready, then get a Pietrus type player, or Pietrus himself :lol. If we can upgrade I think we can. Remember, other teams this offseason will improve their rosters even more, including the Mavs/Suns. The Spurs must make some moves this offseason in order for them to repeat.

I doubt that the Mavs or Suns will be much improved. The Suns are trying to drop pay-roll, and they may have a mini-blow up. While the Mavs may completely blow the whole thing up. Taking 1 step back to take 2 steps forward I guess.

Guess we'll see, but it should be a fun off-season to see what all these teams do.

SA210
06-13-2007, 11:44 AM
the NBA has a history of not letting small markets repeat as champs.
This should be 5 straight.

ancestron
06-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Yeah bro, need to actually win that 4th game first

I understand this, but do you really think the Cavs are going to win 4 straight against the Spurs?

101A
06-13-2007, 12:11 PM
IF Spurs keep the same starting 5; and don't have to fill in a spot. It takes two years for rotation players to get comfortable enough to contribute, and nail the defensive assignments - look at Oberto, Finley, etc....

Parker is going to be even better next year, meaning the Spurs will be better; neither Manu or Tim is going to decline at current ages; add another year of chemistry (or corporate knowledge in Spurs speak), and with other powerhouses potentially questioning their own direction,and changing it (meaning LESS chemistry), should allow the Spurs a GREAT opportunity at a repeat.

Extra Stout
06-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Repeating will be unlikely, but possible. The Spurs would need a lot of things to go their way, just as they did this season.

MadDog73
06-13-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm just gonna enjoy this one for a little while longer...

Every year after we win, I expect a repeat. Spurs have never repeated.

I'm not going to expect anything for 2008. :oops

Marcus Bryant
06-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Um, let them close this one out first. You'll have the entire summer to pontificate about next season.

nkdlunch
06-13-2007, 12:24 PM
it is not premature. Spurs could repeat, not only repeat they could 3-peat!!!!

get Nocioni or sign scola or both get it done!

RobinsontoDuncan
06-13-2007, 12:27 PM
no, not with the roster as presently constituted. The Spurs need to add a long 3 to be able to play small ball with dallas, i suppose it is possible that either elson or oberto continue to improve and could be factors against the mavs. I think denver dallas and phoenix will be the most dangerous western conference teams next year assuming the jazz, rockets, and lakers stay the same and of the three i am most concerned with dallas.

SpursFanInCO
06-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Yesterday on ROme is Burning, Jim picked the Spurs to repeat in '08

MadDog73
06-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Yesterday on ROme is Burning, Jim picked the Spurs to repeat in '08

Great, our first jinx.

AnotherArgie
06-13-2007, 01:40 PM
It's not only a question of a long 3. If Barry leaves, and if Finley leaves too, we'll also need another SG (who will likely start).

CubanMustGo
06-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Barry is locked up and I don't see anyone really wanting to trade for him and his $5.5M salary.

Finley COULD go elsewhere, true, but if he wins a ring with SA why would he want to leave? He's not going to be a starter anywhere (except some suck-ass team) and I doubt he's going to be offered much more money. Fer cryin' out loud he'll make nearly $22M by staying put.

AnotherArgie
06-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Barry is locked up and I don't see anyone really wanting to trade for him and his $5.5M salary.

Finley COULD go elsewhere, true, but if he wins a ring with SA why would he want to leave? He's not going to be a starter anywhere (except some suck-ass team) and I doubt he's going to be offered much more money. Fer cryin' out loud he'll make nearly $22M by staying put.

Cuban might want Finley back in the Mavs. And the ring could be the precise reason for him to leave: he wanted a ring, he got it.

I don't see Barry starting next year and playing 20 mpg. If Finley leaves, the Spurs will likely hire a veteran SG. But who is available this off-season?

Bruno
06-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Cuban might want Finley back in the Mavs.

Finley can't sign with Mavs this summer. It's forbidden by the CBA.

ploto
06-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Spurs won't make trades because they want all those contracts to come off the books in 2008 and the team will look old.

BUMP
06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Spurs need more beef inside.

a player that i know would make them even better is Tyson Chandler. im not sure what his situation is, but i know if either Dallas or San Antonio can take a look at him or acquire him, he'd make either squad better

ancestron
06-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Finley isnt gonna go back and play for Dallas are you guys nuts??

CubanMustGo
06-13-2007, 02:40 PM
We know Cuban wants Fin back, he said so about two or three weeks ago and somehow did not get fined for tampering.

Fin's basic response was "blow me, white boy".

As for Chandler, he's signed for the next three years at $10-11M and has a player option the year after that.

Mixability
06-13-2007, 03:54 PM
premature ejac.

Fast Dunk
06-13-2007, 04:19 PM
I know its pre-mature but since no team has ever come back from 3-0, and I really dont see the biggest comeback in NBA finals history being pulled off by this Cavs team, I think its safe to speculate about next year.
Almost everyone is returning, can the Spurs finally go back to back?

NOPE!!

After this years Finals ratings, Stern will make sure the Spurs will not be back to the big stage...

Sorry, the Spurs still will be known as the "No repeaters"

CosmicCowboy
06-13-2007, 04:35 PM
NOPE!!

After this years Finals ratings, Stern will make sure the Spurs will not be back to the big stage...

Sorry, the Spurs still will be known as the "No repeaters"

Coming from someone in Cleveland thats damn funny!

SenorSpur
06-13-2007, 05:35 PM
it is not premature. Spurs could repeat, not only repeat they could 3-peat!!!!

get Nocioni or sign scola or both get it done!

I like those two potential acquisitions. I would actually prefer Gerald Wallace over Pietrus, but he'll do as a Plan B.

Fast Dunk
06-14-2007, 02:26 AM
Coming from someone in Cleveland thats damn funny!

Oh Boy, Cleveland will be back...

The Spurs won't (as usual)

WalterBenitez
06-14-2007, 06:21 AM

We are bad in pair years, as we suck in back-to-back nigths ... it is in our very nature ... we can't do that.

But 2009 :toast

WalterBenitez
06-14-2007, 06:22 AM
the NBA has a history of not letting small markets repeat as champs.

And Spurs has a history of playing like a crap in pair years :lol

ATXSPUR
06-14-2007, 06:28 AM
No way! Stern will do everything in his power to make sure we dont repeat.

The_Worlds_finest
06-14-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't think you guys need to preach getting one more win,Spurs will do that. The repeat question, thats a good one. Spurs chances of repeats since 2003 have been riddle with one of a kind events. Lets not make any excuses, spurs were out coached and under prepared in 04 and in 2006 where mavs put together a great team to match up against the spurs.

Are the spurs going to use, butler, ely, and bonner as players on next years team? One thing is for certain Winning the title is a total different breed of animal then defending it. With the arrival of a Allstar in Tony Parker and the presence of a well rounded backup point guard maybe it will happen only time will tell.

Darkwaters
06-14-2007, 09:04 AM
As for Chandler, he's signed for the next three years at $10-11M and has a player option the year after that.

You would have to offer at least one of the big 3 to pry Chandler away from the Hornets. Chandler is considered one of the cornerstones of the Hornets rebuilding efforts. Their big 3 is Chris Paul, David West and Tyson Chandler (with Peja Stojakovic along for the ride). Chandler was .1 rebounds per game shy of leading the league, blocked multiple shots per game, and ended the season averaging about 12 points a game through his final 20 games or so. The kid is figuring it out finally and the Spurs would have to give a lot to pry that away.

tlongII
06-14-2007, 09:22 AM
No effing way! We will take you out.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v513/tlongII/th_avatar10359_38.jpg

ThomasGranger
06-14-2007, 11:43 AM
No effing way! We will take you out.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v513/tlongII/th_avatar10359_38.jpg

Maybe in a few years, but don't count on more than a first or second round exit next year. The rest of the West is just too strong and too experienced to be taken out by a team that is still so green.