PDA

View Full Version : ABC deserves the poor ratings

Mitch Cumsteen
06-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I want to throw my remote through my TV every time they show that overhead camera angle. You can't see what's going on in the game and it makes me nauseas. Whoever is producing that giant pile of shit that they call a broadcast should be handcuffed to a chair and forced to watch the entire game from that god awful angle without the benefit of dramamine.

If they want to show a replay from that angle, fine. I'd love to see it AFTER gameplay has stopped. But they are absolutely killing me with that thing during the game. If I had no rooting interest in the game, I would've changed the channel myself. I don't understand it. Are they purposefully trying to piss off the people watching the game? Who enjoys that shit?

SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!

sanman53
06-13-2007, 11:19 AM
After watching the previews for the new Shaq reality TV show on ABC, after the Finals, I may never watch ABC again.

lebomb
06-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I want to throw my remote through my TV every time they show that overhead camera angle. You can't see what's going on in the game and it makes me nauseas. Whoever is producing that giant pile of shit that they call a broadcast should be handcuffed to a chair and forced to watch the entire game from that god awful angle without the benefit of dramamine.

If they want to show a replay from that angle, fine. I'd love to see it AFTER gameplay has stopped. But they are absolutely killing me with that thing during the game. If I had no rooting interest in the game, I would've changed the channel myself. I don't understand it. Are they purposefully trying to piss off the people watching the game? Who enjoys that shit?

NO SHIT!!!!! I HATE that stupid camera.......its irritating.

Pretend this is my television............ :pctoss

Fouled Out
06-13-2007, 11:23 AM
After watching the previews for the new Shaq reality TV show on ABC, after the Finals, I may never watch ABC again.

Yep! Yep! that is stupid, Shaq will do anything to distract the attention the Spurs are getting!

MadDog73
06-13-2007, 11:23 AM
But... but... CAVEMEN

coopdogg3
06-13-2007, 11:26 AM
But... but... CAVEMEN

I have to admit, I'm gonna give that show a chance. It could be funny.

I really hate that camera when there's a fast break, and it just can't keep up. So you have no idea what's going on.

Creation88
06-13-2007, 11:30 AM
the crew for ABC really sucks, TNT is WAAAAAAAY better but i do like their introductions to the Finals. it makes it seems more important and i'm always for more montages.

they pump me up! ha ha.

Spurminator
06-13-2007, 11:33 AM
I have to admit, I'm gonna give that show a chance. It could be funny.

I've seen the pilot. It's not.

I give it 3 episodes before it's canned.

joeyjfive
06-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Anyone I watch the games with seems to hate that damn camera angle, me too.

coopdogg3
06-13-2007, 11:36 AM
I've seen the pilot. It's not.

I give it 3 episodes before it's canned.

Blast.

FromWayDowntown
06-13-2007, 11:44 AM
I dislike the camera angle, but I absolutely can't stand this crew. Breen is milquetoast as far as I'm concerned, but he's hardly the most difficult listen on the ABC crew. I don't need a homeristic take on things -- I understand the need to pay some extra attention to one team at certain points in time -- but I absolutely cannot stand Mark Jackson's takes on the game.

Aside from being completely wed to hyperbole, Jackson is ridiculously inconsistent with his explanation of things. I'm glad that Van Gundy is willing to call him (and Breen) out on those things from time-to-time, but color commentary should never get to that point -- particularly not with a crew calling a league's championship series.

At this point, I'd rather listen to Hubie Brown.

MadDog73
06-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Jackson's idiocy is almost worth it to hear Van Gundy own him.

Van Gundy rocks this clubhouse.

Fouled Out
06-13-2007, 11:48 AM
TNT's crew is better than ABC's anyday. TNT makes it more exciting and they know drama!!!

Creation88
06-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Van Gundy is the only guy worth keeping. and i actually like the camera-angle.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-13-2007, 11:50 AM

Now you're Mark Jackson. Your commentary is correct a low percentage of the time and you're making incorrect calls on plays in the painted area. If I'm ABC I want to go out and hire someone with a high basketball IQ who hustles to the call.

MadDog73
06-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Van Gundy is the only guy worth keeping. and i actually like the camera-angle.

My wife likes it. I hate it...

Is it better in high-def?

Maybe 3-D?

Strike
06-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I hate the camera as well. I also hate Mark Jackson. Honestly, I don't understand how he is able to talk, what with the Cavs' cock rammed down his throat.

I used to think Tom Tolbert was a fucking moron, but that dude don't hold a stupid candle to Mark Jackson.

I think I'd rather listen to Mike Tyson explain quantum physics over a bullhorn in a fucking wind tunnel.

Thunder Dan
06-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Your 100% right. I hate that angle you can't follow the game at all! Plus, they have a Cavs cheerleader in Mark Jackson, which is annoying to me, and I'm a Cavs fan! Plus, It should be Breen and Hubie Brown, why would you have 2 rookies doing color of the Finals? I love Huebie though, he is the most professional, non-biased guy in the NBA.

bigfan
06-13-2007, 12:12 PM
I wish all NBA games were done by TNT period. Also, I got tired of seeing how close all those people were sitting and standing on the playing floor last night. They even blocked the TV field of view. They are almost on the court and somebody will get injured someday because of it.

nkdlunch
06-13-2007, 12:13 PM
The Cavaliers play so horribly, anything ABC does is not even comparably.

you thought SPurs play ugly? Cavs are murdering the NBA.

Thunder Dan
06-13-2007, 12:13 PM
I wish all NBA games were done by TNT period. Also, I got tired of seeing how close all those people were sitting and standing on the playing floor last night. They even blocked the TV field of view. They are almost on the court and somebody will get injured someday because of it.

I was thinking that on some of the close-outs on 3 pointers, they could turn an ankle

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2007, 12:47 PM
I dislike the camera angle, but I absolutely can't stand this crew. Breen is milquetoast as far as I'm concerned, but he's hardly the most difficult listen on the ABC crew. I don't need a homeristic take on things -- I understand the need to pay some extra attention to one team at certain points in time -- but I absolutely cannot stand Mark Jackson's takes on the game.

Aside from being completely wed to hyperbole, Jackson is ridiculously inconsistent with his explanation of things. I'm glad that Van Gundy is willing to call him (and Breen) out on those things from time-to-time, but color commentary should never get to that point -- particularly not with a crew calling a league's championship series.

Yep. People want to blame it all on the Spurs, but the fact of the matter is the ABC production sucks. From Jackson and Breen talking out of their ass from tip to buzzer to the choir sound effects bullshit (whoever thought of that should be canned, tarred and feathered), to Michael Wilbon being a pansy ass Lebron nutsack rider instead of impartial analyst, to that horrible overhead motion camera, their whole production sucks donkey balls.

I'd watch the games on mute if it weren't for the fact it's fun listening to Van Gundy own those two clowns every time they open their mouths.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2007, 12:48 PM

When Bowen wiped out and they had to stop play, it was because he took one step backwards after he shot his three and stepped on someone's drink in the first row. It was literally inches from the out of bounds line.

Extra Stout
06-13-2007, 12:49 PM
ABC/ESPN basically mails it in on these telecasts. Why should they put a ton of effort into broadcasting to the country that makes up only 10% of its audience?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2007, 12:56 PM
ABC/ESPN basically mails it in on these telecasts. Why should they put a ton of effort into broadcasting to the country that makes up only 10% of its audience?

Not to mention they already have the ad revenue lined up far in advance.

Thunder Dan
06-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Why is it called ESPN on ABC anyway? Whats wrong with just ABC, I mean it is on ABC afterall

MadDog73
06-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Shit, maybe they should sell the commentator's seats for $20,000 a piece.

They'd get more money, and we'd get better commentators. Win-win.

Extra Stout
06-13-2007, 01:11 PM
It looks like Game 3 will break Game 2's record as lowest-rated Finals broadcast ever.

dknights411
Why is it called ESPN on ABC anyway? Whats wrong with just ABC, I mean it is on ABC afterall

Apparantly, Disney thought that using the ESPN brand for ABC Sports would be a good idea. Why? I dunno.

Besides, ABC hasn't been cool since they canceled Family Matters.

Spurminator
Not to mention they already have the ad revenue lined up far in advance.

While the commercial inventory is sold in advance, if ABC does not achieve the ratings they estimated before the series (and they are normally estimated high vs. low), they are responsible for making up those lost ratings points for the advertiser by giving the "make good" spots in other programs. So they are forced to give away inventory that they would have sold to another advertiser.

I think ABC most certainly cares about ratings in America, but to ES' point, a good chunk of their money comes from selling the production to international broadcasters. Still, for a lot of people who work at ABC and its affiliates, that chunk doesn't mean anything.

Extra Stout
06-13-2007, 01:13 PM
While the commercial inventory is sold in advance, if ABC does not achieve the ratings they estimated before the series (and they are normally estimated high vs. low), they are responsible for making up those lost ratings points for the advertiser by giving the "make good" spots in other programs. So they are forced to give away inventory that they would have sold to another advertiser.
Luckily, the NBA Finals air during the summer, rather than during May sweeps.

dbreiden83080
06-13-2007, 01:15 PM
2 things killed these ratings, The Spurs being so much better than the Cavs and the League has to change their TV deal. They are promoting these games like shit. They need to go back to the old format where the network promoted these games through their primetime shows and stop showing big games in networks like TNT and ESPN, they need to be on ABC. Given these ratings does anyone really believe that if the Suns were in the finals that the ratings would be huge. These were suppossed to be good and look what happened.

sa_butta
06-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Apparantly, Disney thought that using the ESPN brand for ABC Sports would be a good idea. Why? I dunno.

Besides, ABC hasn't been cool since they canceled Family Matters.Probably because ESPN is a pioneer for sporting events, and could be used to attract more viewers than just a regular network. Just my bullshit opinion.

Thunder Dan
06-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I wonder if Geico is gonna get royalties from it ?

Just to make Warren Buffet a little more richer

ChumpDumper
06-13-2007, 01:27 PM
These were suppossed to be good and look what happened.No they weren't.

The Spurs are playing.

Rynospursfan
06-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Hopefully the low ratings make ABC not get a new contract and the NBA is moved back to NBC or to Fox.

I hate the floating camera too, makes everyone ill and you can't see anything that is going on on the other side of the court, even on my 50".

Did anyone else notice the quality of the broadcast was extreemly poor last night? I don't know if it was ABC, Direct TV or what but my picture really sucked. Guess it might be time to spring for an HD Tivo and pay yet another monthy service charge.

LilMissSPURfect
06-13-2007, 01:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv

express yourself......let it be known

MAKE a difference make it matter.....

If my husband wouldn't have held me back....i woulda gone right through the tv to choke that loser! jackson! how sickening that fool izzz

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv

AnotherArgie
06-13-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm ok with that camera angle, but only for a couple of possesions early in the game.

romad_20
06-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Everything is wrong with their broadcast, from the promos being on ESPN instead of the actual network they'll be on to the camera angle. When games are on TNT they barely have time to break down the first half in the halftime show, on ESPN/ABC they spend about 4 sec on the first half and then run some fluff piece on bullshit for 10 mins. The choir crap appeals to no one. They break down absolutely no X's and O's and their studio crew is the worst. Not one of them is a marquee player, have any of them ever won anything? Allen Houston, Dee Brown, Jon Barry, Jamal Magloire?SP and Grant Hill. Not to mention Micheal Wilboune, who sounds like he's never watched pro bball in his life.

It's sad to say but even the NBA TV crew makes this crew look like crap.