PDA

View Full Version : J.R. a fool in danger of losing it all

ducks
06-13-2007, 05:27 PM
J.R. a fool in danger of losing it all
By Mark Kiszla
Denver Post Staff Columnist
Article Last Updated: 06/13/2007 12:25:01 AM MDT

The basketball career of Nuggets guard J.R. Smith is speeding down the highway to Hades.

And that's the least of his worries.

A funeral awaits a friend, while the law sifts through the wreckage of a deadly car accident.

What's infuriating is Smith tried so hard to live the lyrics of a rap song that he could now become tragic inspiration for a rhyme about a professional baller who threw it all away.

Born to a good home, raised by two loving parents and made rich as a teenager by the NBA, Smith was so desperate for the street cred glorified by hip-hop culture that he became a poseur, thinking if he wore baggy shorts half off his bum, then maybe Carmelo Anthony, Kenyon Martin and teammates who came up from mean streets would accept him.

Smith is a gangsta wannabe who got lost in a dangerous game of make-believe.

Feigning cool to hide insecurity, Smith found trouble more ways than you can count during the past nine months. He got suspended for a brawl in a game at New York. He got in a fight with teammate Jamal Sampson that the Nuggets kept hush-hush. He got booted from the playoffs by Nuggets coach George Karl.

"There are days I wake up and feel I don't understand J.R.," Karl said during the course of a season, in which a bad habit of letting trouble with players fester was never more obvious than with his mishandling of Smith. "I don't know if I'll ever get him."

Smith can be an arrogant man-child with more money than sense. But almost all his sins could be forgiven as the machismo of an adolescent acting before thinking.

Until now.

Now, a buddy is dead. And Smith must live with it.

"Basketball is not life or death. Unfortunately, this situation is. This is a tragedy for everyone involved," Nuggets vice president of player personnel Rex Chapman said.

The stupid, sad irony is 21-year-old Andre Bell died while rolling with an NBA star, but death did not find him outside a seedy strip club at 3 a.m., the way it would go down in a rap song.

The pitiful victim lost his life in the countryside during a spring Saturday, surrounded by soccer fields and horse farms, when a GMC Yukon driven by Smith allegedly ran a stop sign and collided with a Jaguar, hurling Bell from the sport utility vehicle.

"J.R. is devastated by the loss of his good friend," the Nuggets public relations department said on behalf of Smith.

But is he sorry?

Although the young player once amassed 27 points on his driving record in less than a year and a New Jersey prosecutor vows an investigation to determine whether Smith should face more serious criminal charges, there was no mention of an apology in the team statement released Tuesday.

Maybe Smith is more trouble than he is worth. Three seasons after entering the league as a first-round draft choice, the Nuggets are his third team.

Anybody who knows Smith, however, is tempted to do the same as Anthony did when the 6-foot-6 guard arrived in town. Melo threw an arm around the newcomer and protected him like a little brother, because J.R. was a small-town kid born down the clean working-class street from where Bruce Springsteen grew up, rather than in the nasty urban jungle of Jay-Z.

On the Nuggets, however, Smith was forever stuck being the li'l bro, trying to dunk louder or act crazier to prove he belonged. It was as if he needed to impress Melo, K-Mart and Allen Iverson, who all grew up earning scars from gritty existences that Smith only knew from watching "The Wire" on HBO.

Although he flashed gang signs after making 3-point shots, Smith never really knew what he was doing. There is a song by 50 Cent in which the rapper warns the life is too dangerous for a wannabe gangsta. Smith was too busy drowning in a culture bigger than himself to figure out what he wanted to be when he grew up.

"As a player coming out of high school, you're stepping into a man's world and you're not quite a man. J.R. is trying. That's the truth," Chapman said.

After a morning practice during the regular season, I remember Smith standing bare to the waist in the Pepsi Center, wearing a too-cool smirk as he watched Los Angeles players walk solemnly behind coach Phil Jackson as the Lakers took the court.

"Glad that ain't me," Smith declared. "Look at them. No singing. No smiling. Looks like they're all going to prison."

There went Smith, playing the fool again, poking fun of pros acting professional, eliciting laughter by making a joke at the expense of his life's work.

It was funny at the time.

But what will it take for the 21-year-old Nuggets guard to finally grow up?

If the loss of a friend doesn't scare him straight, then sooner or later, Smith will die a fool.

Staff writer Mark Kiszla can be reached at 303-954-1053 or [email protected].

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6125722?source=rss

twincam
06-13-2007, 06:51 PM
I didn't read any of it, but I've heard about it. If he indeed ran that stop sign at a high rate of speed, I have NO sympathy for him. None whatsoever. I guess some people simply think they're above the law and think they can go throw solid objects.

~~Ice Man 2000~~
06-13-2007, 08:53 PM
This article is a joke.
Is Hip Hop to Blame for J.R. Smith's Accident?
Posted Jun 13th 2007 1:53PM by Marcel Mutoni
Filed under: Nuggets, Western, NBA Media Watch, Denver

... According to Mark Kiszla, a Denver Post columnist, it somehow is:
What's infuriating is Smith tried so hard to live the lyrics of a rap song that he could now become tragic inspiration for a rhyme about a professional baller who threw it all away.

Born to a good home, raised by two loving parents and made rich as a teenager by the NBA, Smith was so desperate for the street cred glorified by hip-hop culture that he became a poseur, thinking if he wore baggy shorts half off his bum, then maybe Carmelo Anthony, Kenyon Martin and teammates who came up from mean streets would accept him.

The stupid, sad irony is 21-year-old Andre Bell died while rolling with an NBA star, but death did not find him outside a seedy strip club at 3 a.m., the way it would go down in a rap song.
Now, I've read a lot of stupid things from NBA columnists this season, but this one takes the cake. My favorite part of the piece is Kiszla's claim that Smith flashes gang signs after knocking down three-pointers. The reality is that dude holds up three fingers on each hand after connecting from deep (signifying, um, a three pointer).

J.R. Smith crashed his car. A friend of his died. It's a tragic accident. I fail to see how any self-respecting human being can possibly blame his lifestyle (or musical tastes) for this tragedy.

Mark Kiszla is an idiot (and quite possibly racist). If you have a bit of time on your hands today, send him an email telling him so.

Obstructed_View
06-13-2007, 09:17 PM
"When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong" By Mark Kiszla

trueD
06-13-2007, 11:41 PM
The insinuations and judgment in this piece are glaring, what a piece of trash.

Don Quixote
06-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Good article.

I feel bad for Smith and the guy who died. I don't think the writer is saying that hip-hop killed anyone. It's more the ethic of the thing that contributed to the accident. Hip-hop is a complex worldview that, among other things, values living on the edge, showing off what you have (no matter how you acquired it), and letting your responsibilities and the concerns of others be damned. Others don't like it? Tough.

(I don't suggest that all people who listen to hip-hop music are actually like this -- I am describing what I understand to be the ethic, the ideal).

It's an attractive worldview, I'll give it that. It seems to draw from a sense of entitlement and gives its adherents a feeling of power. It might explain why black kids who did not grow up on the street (like my friends growing up) and white kids everywhere, are so drawn to it.

Anyway ... good article.

resistanze
06-14-2007, 12:30 AM
I agree, rap music and the baggy pants we assume he was wearing killed JR Smith's friend.

And you KNOW he was listening to rap while he crashed, I mean come on...LOOK AT HIM.

resistanze
06-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Remember when Dany Heatley from the NHL did the exact same thing back in 2003?

What do you think he was listening to at the time of the crash?

Snoop Dogg + baggy pants = vehicular homicide.

~~Ice Man 2000~~
06-14-2007, 02:37 PM
When the young (ecspecially blacks) get in trobule it's always that damned hiphop.

Obstructed_View
06-14-2007, 02:50 PM
When the young (ecspecially blacks) get in trobule it's always that damned hiphop.
It's easy to point to something in someone's life AFTER something bad happens and just connect dots and be critical.

It's kind of stupid to point to his lifestyle when everyone would have been fine if they had been wearing seatbelts and obeying traffic laws. The more relevant fact is that it appears that JR hasn't ever been a very good driver. I doubt JR told his passenger not to wear his seatbelt because it ain't gansta'.

~~Ice Man 2000~~
06-14-2007, 02:58 PM
DIdn't he and carmelo crash earlier this season? They did. Who was driving? I blame Kurt Kobain for this shit.

Testing
06-14-2007, 04:09 PM

Feigning cool to hide insecurity, Smith found trouble more ways than you can count during the past nine months. He got suspended for a brawl in a game at New York. He got in a fight with teammate Jamal Sampson that the Nuggets kept hush-hush. He got booted from the playoffs by Nuggets coach George Karl.

This article is a joke....Smith is considered a "gangsta wannabe" for those reasons?

News flash, Carmelo was also in that brawl and got suspended, Carmelo was also booted by Karl during some regular season games and threatened to be benched, and I am sure Carmelo has gotten into some fights with teammates thats been kept hush-hush...does that make Melo also a "wannabe" gangsta? Cuz people just look at him like a regular one :)

And those troubles describe over 1/2 the players in the NBA.....

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 04:20 PM
This article is a joke....Smith is considered a "gangsta wannabe" for those reasons?

News flash, Carmelo was also in that brawl and got suspended, Carmelo was also booted by Karl during some regular season games and threatened to be benched, and I am sure Carmelo has gotten into some fights with teammates thats been kept hush-hush...does that make Melo also a "wannabe" gangsta? Cuz people just look at him like a regular one :)

And those troubles describe over 1/2 the players in the NBA.....

1/2 the players in the NBA? Please.

Anyway, the original article in this thread is trash. The worst line was the one about flashing gang signs after a 3. Umm.. those aren't gang signs.

JR didn't get in this accident because he was a nerd boy trying to fit in with the "gangsta" culture of Melo and KMart. We don't know the circumstances of the accident, but it might have been the same reason that he got the dozens of other traffic violations -- because he was being young and dumb. But that doesn't have to do with rap, gangstas, black, or whatever. There's plenty of young, dumb white, Mexican and Asian kids getting into accidents every day.

Prayers to Andre Bell's family and friends, including J.R.

BacktoBasics
06-14-2007, 04:30 PM
This article is fucking worthless. His wannabe antic have nothing to do with the wreck and even less to do with the kid not wearing his seatbelt. One of the worst articles ever written.

Its a tough call because JR broke the law and ran the stop sign. Its going to be hard to hold him accountable considering the guy wasn't wearing his seatbelt. That will be JR's out if he's lucky. Fucking shame.

MoSpur
06-14-2007, 04:35 PM
This Kizzla dude is way off. I believe that there are NBA players who try to fit in and try to obtain so-called street cred. However, is that the blame for the vehicle accident and death of that other guy Bell? I doubt it. Smith was obviously preoccupied w/something else or simpy didn't obey the traffic laws. Whatever the case, its sad. I feel bad for the family of Andre and I feel bad for Smith.

It could have been avoided w/out a doubt, but at the time for some reason it seems as though Smith was just irresponsible.