PDA

View Full Version : Effects of a series sweep

SenorSpur
06-13-2007, 05:45 PM
I've been thinking about the effects that a Spurs sweep would have on how this particular team will be viewed.

Personally, I think a sweep will validate their dominance, not only in this series, but as the playoffs wore on. It would be a fitting tribute to a team that got hot at the right time and really gelled into a cohesive unit that outplayed, outhustled and outclassed all of its' playoff opponents.

Of course, the media would probably spin it toward how the Cavs simply were the best that the competition from the "weak" Eastern Conference. I can also hear that the PHX/SA series was the "real" NBA finals.

My question to the masses, do the Spurs need a series sweep cement the greatness of this champioinship squad?

ChumpDumper
06-13-2007, 05:52 PM

twentyone
06-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Nope. It was cemented long before this series started.

ggoose25
06-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I hope it would validate the greatness of the team, but I think you're always going to have haters in the media that will continue to point at two glaring aspects unless we repeat in '08:

1) We didnt have to go through Dallas
2) The suspensions of Amare and Diaw

Its easy to say our path to the Championship was not very difficult, but that would be selling this team way short. They have played extremely good defense the entire playoffs, especially in the Finals, and have hit their outside shots consistently. Both of those factors have made our competition seem weaker than they really were.

We are just playing out of our minds right now. It's not our fault we make everyone else look like chumps. :smokin

itzsoweezee
06-13-2007, 05:54 PM
if the spurs win the next game with another performance like in game 3, it's going to be very hard to call them a dominant team.

SenorSpur
06-13-2007, 05:55 PM
I really think this team is playing better than they were when the playoffs began a couple of months ago.

ObiwanGinobili
06-13-2007, 05:59 PM
I've already been hearing on ESPN/ESPN2/3/4/The Ocho .. that the Spurs v Suns series was the "real" finals.

:jack

twentyone
06-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Great, then give us our trophy, someone slap Amare, and let's hit the bar. Oh and let Cleveland know they were runner up for the chance to be in the Finals.

gospursgooo
06-13-2007, 06:04 PM
I hope it would validate the greatness of the team, but I think you're always going to have haters in the media that will continue to point at two glaring aspects unless we repeat in '08:

How is this relevant? Didn't the Mavericks lose to the Warriors in the first-round of the playoffs?

ggoose25
06-13-2007, 06:10 PM
It doesnt matter to me. Its just what I've been hearing. Spur haters will come up with all sorts of shit to put an * on any given championship. Im just anticipating some of the arguments that people will use to detract from our run through the playoffs

easjer
06-13-2007, 06:20 PM
I actually think a sweep will enforce the doubters. The refrain will be "It's not that the Spurs are really that good, it's that Cleveland was that bad. I mean, yeah, good on the Spurs for winning those other series and all, and yeah, they play well, but there were the suspensions, and they didn't have to go through Dallas and don't forget that Derron Williams was sick and injured and Fisher missed that game."

I actually think that is/will be the case regardless, but a sweep seems only to cement failure for the Cavs, rather than greatness for the Spurs.

Which is fine by me, so long as we have the trophy.

ObiwanGinobili
06-13-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm hoping ofr a sweep so we can go to the parade on Sat.

If it's on Tuesday then it's me saving our spots all day by myself with a 3yr old and a 1.5 yr old.
I rather it's the weekend so that my husband is there to handle one of the Spawn.

Reggie Miller
06-13-2007, 06:36 PM
The Spurs won in 2005 with Timmy coming off of an ankle injury. The Pistons had beat the living snot out of the Lakers in 2004. I don't see how anyone could put an asterisk on that one.

To me, the 1999 Championship is not suspect, but somewhat removed from 2003, 2005, and 2007. That is, it doesn't deserve an asterisk, but it doesn't seem like the same team (no Ginobili or Parker). Other than the Admiral, the 2003 team had the same key players as this 2007 squad.

DDS4
06-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Personally I think a sweep is moot.

The true measuring stick will be whether the Spurs can defend their championship, (assuming we take care of business this year).

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Seriously, who gives a fuck what the haters have to say. All the Spurs can do is beat who they play.

It's not their fault the Mavs got owned by an eight seed

timvp
06-13-2007, 06:46 PM
A sweep would do nothing but help the legacy of this team. History forgets specifics but remembers championships and sweeps along the way.

:smokin

ChumpDumper
06-13-2007, 06:47 PM
This will be remembered as the summer Kobe got traded.

Switchman
06-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Spurs fans need to quit giving a damn what the national media, etc think.

Extra Stout
06-13-2007, 07:00 PM
I've been thinking about the effects that a Spurs sweep would have on how this particular team will be viewed.

Personally, I think a sweep will validate their dominance, not only in this series, but as the playoffs wore on. It would be a fitting tribute to a team that got hot at the right time and really gelled into a cohesive unit that outplayed, outhustled and outclassed all of its' playoff opponents.

Of course, the media would probably spin it toward how the Cavs simply were the best that the competition from the "weak" Eastern Conference. I can also hear that the PHX/SA series was the "real" NBA finals.

My question to the masses, do the Spurs need a series sweep cement the greatness of this champioinship squad?
A sweep makes no difference. Among those who appreciate the Spurs, their legacy is already secure. Among those who disdain the Spurs, whether they win in 4 or 7 does not matter.

UV Ray
06-13-2007, 07:09 PM

2) The suspensions of Amare and Diaw

Its easy to say our path to the Championship was not very difficult, but that would be selling this team way short. They have played extremely good defense the entire playoffs, especially in the Finals, and have hit their outside shots consistently. Both of those factors have made our competition seem weaker than they really were.

We are just playing out of our minds right now. It's not our fault we make everyone else look like chumps. :smokin

You don't have to be a "hater" to see "glaring aspects",
but it doesn't hurt.

T Park
06-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Spurs can only play the teams that are put in front of them.

They can't help it the Mavericks are the biggest chokes in history.

They also can't help the Suns are brainless fuckwits.

gtownspur
06-13-2007, 07:36 PM
You don't have to be a "hater" to see "glaring aspects",
but it doesn't hurt.

what a bitter fag..

twentyone
06-13-2007, 07:45 PM
I actually think a sweep will enforce the doubters. The refrain will be "It's not that the Spurs are really that good, it's that Cleveland was that bad. I mean, yeah, good on the Spurs for winning those other series and all, and yeah, they play well, but there were the suspensions, and they didn't have to go through Dallas and don't forget that Derron Williams was sick and injured and Fisher missed that game."

I actually think that is/will be the case regardless, but a sweep seems only to cement failure for the Cavs, rather than greatness for the Spurs.

Which is fine by me, so long as we have the trophy.

It's all about the trophy isn't it. If you look back on every championship you can asterisk something or another i'm certain. As a whole we have to look at that and laugh, they have nothing but envy.

Extra Stout
06-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Every time a Sun fan whines, David Stern's plan grows stronger.

Outside the U.S., the Spurs are viewed as ambassadors of basketball the way it is supposed to be played. This view is buttressed by America's disdain for the Spurs, because it is popular to characterize Americans as culturally shallow and foolish. The Europeans, for example, pat themselves on the back for being "cultured" enough to appreciate the Spurs.

The Suns were gaining a foreign following because of their international players, but it's more fun for the world to mock the team and its fans as stereotypical Americans who think they are entitled to everything, even when they don't follow the rules -- sort of a hoops version of Paris Hilton.

And remember, 90% of the viewers of the NBA Finals are outside the United States.