PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Rockets agree to trade Howard to Wolves for James

zekes
06-13-2007, 08:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2903593

The Minnesota Timberwolves and Houston Rockets, who have been discussing a Mike James-for-Juwan Howard swap in one form or another since the February trade deadline, have agreed in principle to finally complete that deal this month, ESPN.com has learned.

James

Howard

An announcement of the trade's completion could be made as early as this week, according to NBA front-office sources.

The holdup stems from the possibility that another player or two could be added to the deal, sources say. The teams, though, have verbally agreed to a straight-up exchange of James for Howard at the very least.

The Timberwolves beat out Houston for James' free-agent signature last summer because of their willingness to include a trade kicker in the well-traveled point guard's four-year, $23.4 million contract, but the acquisition was questioned from the start after Minnesota landed Randy Foye in the 2006 draft.

James then struggled to make an impact with his new team, averaging just 10.1 points in 25.3 minutes per game and eventually losing his starting spot after enjoying a breakout season in Toronto in 2005-06.

A strong recruiting pitch from Wolves forward Kevin Garnett -- along with the trade bonus he held out for in negotiations -- convinced James to spurn similar financial offers from the Dallas Mavericks and the Rockets, even though he maintains an offseason home in Houston. But the intense Garnett and the chatty James clashed almost from the start, according to club sources, adding to the Wolves' remorse after it quickly became apparent that there wasn't rotation room for James and Foye.

So the Wolves decided by midseason that they would try to move their lone significant offseason acquisition and were on the verge of sending James to Houston for Howard when the deal fell through on Feb. 22, in part because the Rockets were reluctant to change the chemistry on a team that wound up overcoming numerous injuries to win 52 games.

But Houston's interest in James and adding depth to its backcourt under new coach Rick Adelman hasn't wavered, thanks to the 31-year-old's successful stint with the Rockets in the second half of the 2004-05 season.

"This has been difficult," James told ESPN.com in late March when asked to describe his debut season with the Wolves. "Physically, mentally, emotionally … all of the above."

Garnett, meanwhile, is expected to welcome the arrival of Howard, a 34-year-old former All-Star, after publicly calling -- repeatedly -- for more size in the Wolves' frontcourt and more of a veteran presence in the locker room.

Howard averaged 9.7 points and 5.9 rebounds in 26.6 minutes per game last season. His contract is one year shorter than James' deal, with just two seasons to run at $14.3 million.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Extra Stout
06-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Mike James is a talented locker room cancer.

With these kind of personnel moves, and the replacement of Jeff Van Gundy with Rick Adelman, Rocket fans will be scratching their heads as their team goes 38-44 despite a relatively healthy Yao and McGrady.

resistanze
06-13-2007, 08:47 PM
:lmao @ Mike James making a ton of cheddar based on his year with the shitty Raptors.

I mean did the GMs even watch the games he played in before trying to sign him? He would get hot once or twice during the game, then he'd jack up every shot in the 4th without even thinking about passing to eventually cause the Raptors to lose an otherwise close game. But I guess to 20PPG stat was too good to pass up.

I'm sure Bosh could've averaged ~25-27 PPG that year since the team had no offensive options, if Mike James would've passed him the ball a little more.

Obstructed_View
06-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Didn't James play for the Rockettes when they should have beaten the Mavs in seven games a couple of years ago, or am I thinking of someone else?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Yea he did play for them at the time.

sribb43
06-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Darrell Armstrong was used to come in a shut down James

trueD
06-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Mike James may do well under Adelman, who has a "way" with talented malcontents (Artest & Bonzi, most recently). The reverse-trade idea is a good one for both teams imo, but hopefully this isn't the beginning and the end for Minne trades this year. :lol

Findog
06-13-2007, 11:06 PM
I like this deal for both teams. James gives them another desperately needed scoring option and is better than Alston. Howard simply helps Minnesota by having an expiring deal, regardless of his X's and O's "impact."

DOMINATOR
06-13-2007, 11:17 PM
hopefully skip to my missed shot... will be traded too.

trueD
06-13-2007, 11:29 PM
I like this deal for both teams. James gives them another desperately needed scoring option and is better than Alston. Howard simply helps Minnesota by having an expiring deal, regardless of his X's and O's "impact."
Howard seems like a lockerroom guy. James fits in nicely with Adelman's mantra of run then score from the backcourt. Watch as Yao learns the fine art of dishing from the elbow to quick guards who catch & shoot and who can penetrate. For Adelman, it's all about the backcourt. It will be interesting to see what he does with the big man. I used to love watching Vlade pass around defenders and play pic and roll, even Brad got into the action in 2004. Yao is a prime candidate to learn the Princeton, it should be fun to watch.

Trainwreck2100
06-13-2007, 11:52 PM
who?

leemajors
06-13-2007, 11:52 PM
i thought the rockets were looking for a pg who could get to the rim.

zekes
06-13-2007, 11:55 PM
hopefully skip to my missed shot... will be traded too.

:lol

Roxsfan
06-14-2007, 03:04 AM
skip to my poo is gone :dizzy

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2007, 05:03 AM
i thought the rockets were looking for a pg who could get to the rim.

beno right?

flipcritic
06-14-2007, 05:42 AM
What on earth possessed McHale to get Howard? The guy is as tough as tissue paper on the low block. Even more incentive for KG to get out while he can.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-14-2007, 03:04 PM
The deal reportedly also includes Justin Reed going to Houston along with Mike James for just Juwan Howard.

mardigan
06-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Good trade for the Rockets, gives them the best 3rd scoring option they have had since.....Mike James

Bruno
06-14-2007, 05:15 PM
I don't get at all why Minny do this deal. Juwan Howard is crappy.
And they don't save a lot of money.
Would you rather pay $14M for 2 years of Howard or $21M for 2 years of Reed and 3 years of James ?

Obstructed_View
06-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Would you rather pay $14M for 2 years of Howard or $21M for 2 years of Reed and 3 years of James ?
You dare to question the best GM in all of pro sports?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-14-2007, 05:51 PM

NBA Junkie
06-14-2007, 06:47 PM

It's actually a good deal for the Wolves since Howard could opt out after next season and trading Reed opens up a roster spot and saves the Wolves a little money since a Howard for James swap would have lost money since Howard makes slightly more. May not seem like a big deal, but it is when the team is near the luxury tax threshold.

More importantly, it gets a locker room cancer in James out of Minny, where he wasn't a good fit since day one. It also gives the Wolves frontcourt help and relieves them of one less guard in their crowded backcourt.

Interestingly enough, it seems him and Garnett didn't coexist that well which was surprising since Garnett was the one who made the big pitch to get him there in the first place.

BacktoBasics
06-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Neither of these guys will do anything for their new teams. Just seems like needless slave trading to me.

dallaskd
06-16-2007, 11:25 PM
IMO its a good move by houston

Roxsfan
06-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Howard seems like a lockerroom guy. James fits in nicely with Adelman's mantra of run then score from the backcourt. Watch as Yao learns the fine art of dishing from the elbow to quick guards who catch & shoot and who can penetrate. For Adelman, it's all about the backcourt. It will be interesting to see what he does with the big man. I used to love watching Vlade pass around defenders and play pic and roll, even Brad got into the action in 2004. Yao is a prime candidate to learn the Princeton, it should be fun to watch.

sounds good to me brotha :elephant

medstudent
06-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Good trade for the Rockets, gives them the best 3rd scoring option they have had since.....Mike James