PDA

View Full Version : ratings still tanking

td4mvp3
06-13-2007, 08:40 PM
NBA finals ratings decline continues

/ Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago
NEW YORK (AP) - The NBA finals continue to draw far fewer viewers than last year.
The San Antonio Spurs' 75-72 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday night received a 6.4 national rating and an 11 share on ABC, down 20 percent from the 8.0/14 for last year's Game 3 between the Dallas Mavericks and the Miami Heat.
The Game 3 drop follows a 30 percent plunge for Game 2 and a 19 percent decline for Game 1.

The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned in to a broadcast among those households with televisions on at the time. A ratings point represents 1,114,000 households.

koopa
06-13-2007, 08:42 PM
well they missed out on my rating lol, i couldn't watch the game cause i had to study for a test that i had today

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-13-2007, 08:42 PM
One more page in the history books that the Spurs own. BOOYAH!

T Park
06-13-2007, 08:44 PM
ratings still tanking.

still dont give a shit.

~~Ice Man 2000~~
06-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Is there a way to measure like international ratings?

ClingingMars
06-13-2007, 08:46 PM
still not caring

this is sterns business not ours

-Mars

ClingingMars
06-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Is there a way to measure like international ratings?

if there was, they'd probably be raving about it by now.

-Mars

Clutch20
06-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Here's an interesting position that David Stern takes concerning the low and declining ratings issue:

'We're totally prepared'
Stern looking to new media to combat low TV ratings
Posted: Tuesday June 12, 2007 11:51PM; Updated: Tuesday June 12, 2007 11:51PM
David Stern remains optimistic despite these Finals being down from previous seasons.

By Ian Thomsen, SI.com

CLEVELAND -- Commissioner David Stern responded to the record-low TV ratings for the NBA Finals by saying that they were a sign of the changing media times.

"What it means to us is that we had two very bad games, and you would expect bad ratings,'' Stern told SI.com during halftime of Game 3 Tuesday. "But what it also means is that we led the night in the key demographic on our network, and increasingly it's not about how you did last year. It's about how you did against your competition. And against our competition we're doing great.''

The 6.3 rating for Game 1 of the Cleveland Cavaliers against the San Antonio Spurs on ABC amounted to a 19 percent drop from last year, setting a record low for an NBA Finals opening game in prime time. They fell even further for Game 2, earning a 5.6 national rating and a 10 share on Sunday night -- plummeting 30 percent from the numbers of 8.0 and 14 drawn by the Miami Heat and the Dallas Mavericks in the Finals last year.

An NBA official said that the ratings were affected by the competition in the East and Midwest against the finale of The Sopranos,' which was watched by an estimated 11.9 million people on HBO.

In addition, the Spurs have historically drawn small numbers on network television.

Stern's emphasis was that the ratings fail to reflect a new audience that is consuming his league via NBA.com and other internet sites.

"Thirty million people visited streamed highlights on NBA.com [in February of this season],'' Stern said. "Our fans, like so many other fans, are beginning to consume their sports in a completely different way and we're totally prepared for that consumption.''

Stern said he never agreed with predictions that ratings would climb in anticipation of LeBron James' debut in the NBA Finals, adding that the 22-year-old star was too young to carry the audience on his own.

"Michael didn't do it at this point in his career,'' said Stern, noting that Jordan didn't reach the NBA Finals until his seventh BA season.

~~Ice Man 2000~~
06-13-2007, 08:57 PM
if there was, they'd probably be raving about it by now.

-Mars
That's what I figured. If anyone has this informations please post it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Here in A.D.D. America, the ratings are down, which the league doesn't give a damn about because it's getting paid the same whether 5 people or 50 million people here in the U.S. are watching.

Internationally, more people are tuned in. Who gives a fuck about what the fickle minded folks here in America think? Half of them tune into Entertainment Tonight every night to hear about Paris, Lindsay, and Britney.

Fuck 'em.

twincam
06-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Are YOU losing money from this?
Are YOU tuning out from the games?
If you answered no to the questions above...
then all I can say is to HELL with the ratings.

What effect will that put on the Spurs winning their 4th NBA title?

Nothing....absolutely NOTHING.

dbestpro
06-13-2007, 09:56 PM
I get a kick out of all the people who complain about the Spurs games and the ratings and how they can't stand to watch and then proceed to complain about every play they saw go the wrong way.

duncan228
06-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Ratings don't bother me.

Watching the Spurs in the Finals thrills me.

td4mvp3
06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
geez people, i'm the messenger. and i think ratings do matter. how many times do you here the spurs are boring? how annoying is that whole asterisk thing? the luck this team had getting by phoenix with the help of the league because if amare and diaw were in they woulda yadda yadda? if the nba opts not to provide a special edition boxed set for the spurs a la the heat, bet the ratings played some role? tired of seeing every lakerss-cavs game on abc but having to wait months before the spurs show up on tnt? i think the ratings play some role.

Extra Stout
06-13-2007, 11:34 PM
geez people, i'm the messenger. and i think ratings do matter. how many times do you here the spurs are boring? how annoying is that whole asterisk thing? the luck this team had getting by phoenix with the help of the league because if amare and diaw were in they woulda yadda yadda? if the nba opts not to provide a special edition boxed set for the spurs a la the heat, bet the ratings played some role? tired of seeing every lakerss-cavs game on abc but having to wait months before the spurs show up on tnt? i think the ratings play some role.
The asterisk thing is annoying to you because you are insecure. Every champion has haters who diminish their accomplishments. When the Lakers were winning, we used to do it. Do you think Laker fan was concerned about what Spurs fans, Blazers fans, and Kings fans thought? No. When the Bulls won titles, fans all along the East Coast tried to diminish it. Did Bulls fans care? No.

One reason fans persist in casting aspersions upon the Spurs is because Spurs fans are affected by it more than any other group of fans in the history of the universe. I can create a troll, make a two-sentence post bashing the Spurs, and get two dozen responses in under an hour. It's like clockwork. It is absolutely hilarious. Nobody has thinner skins than San Antonians.

The Spurs are a small-market team, with zero drama, several foreign stars, but no charismatic characters, who have been involved in several of the lowest-scoring Finals games in history. American fans like big-market teams, with off-court soap operas, larger-than-life all-American superstars, that score a lot of points. Meanwhile, foreign fans think the Spurs are great ambassadors of the game, and enjoy the Spurs all the more because most American fans piss and moan about how "boring" they are.

Enjoy the championships, stop being such a wuss, and tell America to kiss your ass.

TampaDude
06-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Fuck the ratings. GO SPURS GO!!!!!

Strike
06-14-2007, 12:10 AM
The asterisk thing is annoying to you because you are insecure. Every champion has haters who diminish their accomplishments. When the Lakers were winning, we used to do it. Do you think Laker fan was concerned about what Spurs fans, Blazers fans, and Kings fans thought? No. When the Bulls won titles, fans all along the East Coast tried to diminish it. Did Bulls fans care? No.

One reason fans persist in casting aspersions upon the Spurs is because Spurs fans are affected by it more than any other group of fans in the history of the universe. I can create a troll, make a two-sentence post bashing the Spurs, and get two dozen responses in under an hour. It's like clockwork. It is absolutely hilarious. Nobody has thinner skins than San Antonians.

The Spurs are a small-market team, with zero drama, several foreign stars, but no charismatic characters, who have been involved in several of the lowest-scoring Finals games in history. American fans like big-market teams, with off-court soap operas, larger-than-life all-American superstars, that score a lot of points. Meanwhile, foreign fans think the Spurs are great ambassadors of the game, and enjoy the Spurs all the more because most American fans piss and moan about how "boring" they are.

Enjoy the championships, stop being such a wuss, and tell America to kiss your ass.

Well said.

Anytime someone says to me "How can you be a Spurs fan? Tjhey're so boring?"

ME: "Simple. I've been a Spurs fan for 20 years and I'm not gonna change. And because they play the style of basketball I like to watch."

THEM: "But they're so boring!"

ME: "I'm not bored watching them win championships. How many championships has your team won?"

BLAZER FAN "One, in '77."
KINGS FAN "None"
MAVS FAN "None"
CAVS FAN "None"
JAZZ FAN "None"
NUGGETS FAN "None"

ME: "Ok. You call my team boring, and that's ok. I guess you like the excitement of losing every year."

dknights411
06-14-2007, 12:14 AM
I think the low rating is more of a testament to how much ABC sucks.

rob5
06-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Who gives a shit about national ratings. Not us. Spurs play for and represent San Antonio. That's it. Besides, we are playing for an NBA Championship not a ratings contest. They are all just fucking pissed off and jealous that their teams are too sorry ass to be there instead

UV Ray
06-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Here's an interesting position that David Stern takes concerning the low and declining ratings issue:

'We're totally prepared'
Stern looking to new media to combat low TV ratings
Posted: Tuesday June 12, 2007 11:51PM; Updated: Tuesday June 12, 2007 11:51PM
David Stern remains optimistic despite these Finals being down from previous seasons.

By Ian Thomsen, SI.com

CLEVELAND -- Commissioner David Stern responded to the record-low TV ratings for the NBA Finals by saying that they were a sign of the changing media times.

He went on to say, "What it means to us is that we now have a new marketing demographic,"

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/xuy675/deliverance.jpg
"Manu's got a real purty mouth."

redskinfan
06-14-2007, 01:46 AM
I dont they account for the growing popularity of sports bars and restaurants who are grabbing the fans with big screens and plasmas and atmosphere.

carina_gino20
06-14-2007, 01:48 AM
tell me again, why should we care?

Roxsfan
06-14-2007, 03:02 AM
maybe if the cavs were worth a dammned, they could actually make a series out of it :hungry:

milkyway21
06-14-2007, 03:19 AM
Americans are killing their own league because they refuse to watch a team with most international players-Duncan(V.I.),TP(France), Manu & Oberto (Argentina), Beno(Slovenia), Elson(Holland), in the finals because they dominate over the rest of the 29 teams with their favorite superstars endorsing products,s shoes, energy drinks like Gatorade, left & right. :p:

actually it's your loss.

cole
06-14-2007, 03:56 AM
nelson ratings system as a whole is horribly flawed to begin with, especially in this more modern era of media. regardless, i could still care less about the ratings.