PDA

View Full Version : Heat could be interested in Vaughn

Bruno
06-14-2007, 03:55 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/story/139064.html

Posted on Thu, Jun. 14, 2007
BY MICHAEL WALLACE

CLEVELAND --
The Spurs enter tonight's game with a chance to sweep the Cavaliers and claim a fourth NBA title in nine seasons.

And there's a good chance San Antonio's dynasty won't come to an end anytime soon. The Spurs have Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili under contract for the next three seasons.

Team or player options that would bring back Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley and Fabricio Oberto for next season are likely to be exercised. Which leaves backup point guard Jacque Vaughn as the lone rotation player unsigned for next season.

Vaughn's availability as free agent this summer could spark interest from the Miami Heat, which likely will be in need of a backup for Jason Williams. Gary Payton, Williams' backup the past two seasons, will be a free agent July 1, but is leaning toward retirement. Williams also is entering the final year of his contract with the Heat.

Vaughn said Wednesday he is happy in San Antonio and would like to return, and Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said the team would try to re-sign Vaughn as Parker's backup. But Vaughn said he would consider offers from other teams that are in position to contend for a title.

''I'm with a special organization, and me and my family love it here,'' Vaughn said. ``I've been in all type of positions as a starter, a second guy and a third guy. Right now, it's only about winning. It's about finding a fit, an organization that will appreciate what I bring to the table, and the chance to win a ring.''

The Heat, a year removed from a title and with Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O'Neal under contract for three more seasons, would qualify.

Vaughn, 32, earns just less than $1.1 million this season, his second with the Spurs, and averages 3.0 points and 2.0 assists in 12 minutes. He has played in 58 playoff games in 11 seasons.

His defensive ability and playoff experience -- and the relatively low salary he likely would command -- could generate interest from salary cap-strapped teams like the Heat. But Vaughn's limited offense could be a deterrent. Miami owns picks No. 20 and 39 in the June 28 draft and could address its need there.

But the more likely option would be to acquire veteran help through a trade or free agency. Among the more expensive options available this summer are Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Milwaukee's Maurice Williams and Sacramento's Mike Bibby. Vaughn is among low-cost backup options with playoff experience that include Denver's Steve Blake, Memphis' Chucky Atkins, the Lakers' Smush Parker and Orlando's Keyon Dooling.

whottt
06-14-2007, 04:04 AM
Adios Jacque. You aren't that good...

Supreme_Being
06-14-2007, 04:07 AM
Yeah. Arrividerci.

T Park
06-14-2007, 04:10 AM
But Vaughn said he would consider offers from other teams that are in position to contend for a title.

CYA.

timvp
06-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Paying more than a minimum salary to retain Vaughn would be tough to swallow. If he comes back for the minimum, he's a good bench asset.

But multi-year, multi-million? Uh, no thanks.

Bruno
06-14-2007, 04:45 AM
Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said the team would try to re-sign Vaughn as Parker's backup

IMO, that's the biggest information of this article. Miami interest for Vaughn seems to be only the writer speculation.

Vaughn is a 10 years vet. When he is paid the minimum, he earns more than $1.2M but Spurs give him less than $800K. The rest is paid by the league. Paying old vets to a minimum salary is very interesting for the team.
I can see Spurs offering Vaughn a 2 years minimum contract with the second year being a player option. It's $2.5M guaranteed for Vaughn. If he plays well next year, he can opt out and Spurs can give him a bigger contract with the early bird rights rule.

Admidave50
06-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Au revoir!

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2007, 05:10 AM
sayonara vaughn :D:D:D

milkyway21
06-14-2007, 05:13 AM
Paalam sa 'yo JV!

timvp
06-14-2007, 06:06 AM
If he plays well next year, he can opt out and Spurs can give him a bigger contract with the early bird rights rule.

:td

You want to give a "bigger contract" to a 34-year-old Jacque Vaughn? If Vaughn wants to win and play for a coach who believes in him when nobody else ever has, he'd re-sign for the Spurs for the league minimum. If he wants more money, he can go elsewhere.

Especially since the $1.2M the Spurs can offer will be relatively close to whatever anyone else would offer. No one is going to pay more than $2M/year for Vaughn.

Darkwaters
06-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Heat Could Be Interested In Vaughn
14th June, 2007 - 4:19 am
Miami Herald - Spurs' backup guard Jacque Vaughn's availability as free agent this summer could spark interest from the Miami Heat , which likely will be in need of a backup for Jason Williams. Gary Payton, Williams' backup the past two seasons, will be a free agent July 1, but is leaning toward retirement. Williams also is entering the final year of his contract with the Heat.

Vaughn said Wednesday he is happy in San Antonio and would like to return, and Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said the team would try to re-sign Vaughn as Parker's backup. But Vaughn said he would consider offers from other teams that are in position to contend for a title.

''I'm with a special organization, and me and my family love it here,'' Vaughn said. ``I've been in all type of positions as a starter, a second guy and a third guy. Right now, it's only about winning. It's about finding a fit, an organization that will appreciate what I bring to the table, and the chance to win a ring.''

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46499/20070614/heat_could_be_interested_in_vaughn/

Bruno
06-14-2007, 10:54 AM
:td

You want to give a "bigger contract" to a 34-year-old Jacque Vaughn?

If :
- Vaughn is solid next year.
- Spurs don't have luxury tax troubles, that is to say they don't have to chose between Vaughn and another player for financial reasons.
- Spurs don't have a better PG available
then I would have nothing against giving Vaughn a 1 year/$3M contract in 08.

Players and their agents really like player option because they have the feeling to be in the driver seat :
- If Vaughn is injured he will have two years of salaries guaranteed.
- If Vaughn plays well he will have the oportunity to get a better contract from Spurs or another team after one year.

Miami has too big Luxury tax troubles. I don't think they will give him more than the min if they are interested in him.

ChumpDumper
06-14-2007, 11:02 AM
We could actually pay Vaughn about $150k over the minimum next year if we really wanted to keep him, but there's no reason to go above that and no reason to give him more than a one-year deal.

Obstructed_View
06-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Vaughn has been good because Beno has been so dismal. If JV wants to get paid, he needs to look elsewhere. The Spurs will certainly wait until the end of July to do anything with him so he has plenty of time to find somebody stupid enough to throw money at him.

coopdogg3
06-14-2007, 11:09 AM
I seem to remember a lot of talk about Oberto and Elson and how it takes at least 1 year to figure out the system. Now Vaughn is not getting that same leniency. He's played good D, good enough passer, needs to work on his shot more - but that's what Chip is for. I wouldn't pay him much over the minumum (I like Chumps idea of 150k over minumum but no more), but I hope he comes back next year.