PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown: a worthy nba headcoach?

naico
06-14-2007, 05:56 AM
Well i sure don't think so. At least not for now..As much as i loved him as an assistent coach on the spurs, he doesn' have the tools to be a successfull coach right now. He is an average decision maker and doesn't know how to handle things. Anybody watched those all-access vids? You really couldn't tell if he's a coach or not during time-outs..

I certainly do not want to diss him in any way but i think he took the head coaching job much too early in his career..

Anywayz he was great when he was here, especially working with the players individually..But overall he's got a long way to go..Hopefully he'll be recognised as a good coach, and i do believe he's got talent, but right now it's kinda sad watching him.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/DimeMagazine/2007/06/12/Brick_City (http://)

timvp
06-14-2007, 06:02 AM
He has a team of bad defensive players playing great defense. That alone should validate his credentials as a head coach.

Mike Brown >> Mike D'Antoni >>>>>>>>>>>>> Flip Saunders

naico
06-14-2007, 06:11 AM
everybody's better than Saunders and we all know D'Antoni doesn't need coaching talents to coach his team..So maybe i have to agree with you..But still, his poor decision making is hurting his team....euh i mean LeBrons team

ArgSpursFan
06-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Brown has still a long way to go as far as coaching carreer,no doubt.But if he learned something while working for Pop(and I´m sure He did)He can defenetly become a great coach.
He just needs to put a TEAM together,not a one man orchestra,Once He does that Lebron will play much more confortable,and they will be a scary team.

Agloco
06-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Well i sure don't think so. At least not for now..As much as i loved him as an assistent coach on the spurs, he doesn' have the tools to be a successfull coach right now. He is an average decision maker and doesn't know how to handle things. Anybody watched those all-access vids? You really couldn't tell if he's a coach or not during time-outs..

I certainly do not want to diss him in any way but i think he took the head coaching job much too early in his career..

Anywayz he was great when he was here, especially working with the players individually..But overall he's got a long way to go..Hopefully he'll be recognised as a good coach, and i do believe he's got talent, but right now it's kinda sad watching him.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/DimeMagazine/2007/06/12/Brick_City (http://)

Did I miss something? How could you possibly argue that a finals appearance after a three year buildup is an indicator of his lack of coaching skills?

Don't forget who his team is playing. They just aren't as good as the Spurs, end of story. Red Auerbach himself doesn't get the win in this series.

tmtcsc
06-14-2007, 08:27 AM
He's a good coach making bad decisions. I think that's a fair statement. He has made some questionable moves (timeouts, substitutions, etc).

He does have scoreboard on the Eastern Conference though.

Soul_Patch
06-14-2007, 08:30 AM
I personally think brown would be a MUCH better assistant coach.

He is a break even head coach.

twentyone
06-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Wow that's pretty brutal, and only one series away from a Detroit team that Brown barely lost the first 2 to, and then went 4 to close it. Unbelievable what someone would expect out of a 3rd year coach.

MarCowMar
06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Definitely. All said he's doing a decent job. That Cavs team is really really bad (I would consider only four of their players even deserving of playoff roster spots) and it's amazing they've made it as far as they have.

Writers were cussing him out for not playing a 2nd round rookie over a significantly injured All-Star, but the fact is if he had played Boobie they would be cussing him out for the opposite (see results of game 3). He took a gamble on Hughes having something to contribute and it didn't pay off. Some of his end-game handling has been shaky but no worse than other coaches outside the upper-echelon.

Brown reminds me of Pop in the early years running four down all the time. Yeah he makes mistakes, and watching the team is frustrating at times, but he does a good job considering the limitations of his roster.

Thunder Dan
06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
As a Cavs fan I will tell you that he is not a head coach he is a assistant coach who looked good this year becuase of Lebron. He has set a ton of franchise records for wins in the playoffs which overshadow his inability to make decisions during important games. If he didn't have Lebron on the team he would have won about 25-30 games this year.

Don't get me wrong, he has turned Cleveland into a pretty good defensive team, but our offense is horrible. He fails to come up with plays to get good looks at the basket out of time outs, which is normally put right onto the coach. Of all the teams that have made it to the finals, how many of them have had more than 4 5-second violations during the playoffs to get there? If he were a NBA coach, he would have something on offense, just anything.

Soul_Patch
06-14-2007, 08:41 AM
I just think he makes bad decisions as a head coach. Case in point, and not that it really mattered much, but it could have.

Cavs are down 3 in the final seconds of game 3. He was out of timeouts, pop still had 1 full and 2 20's i think.

Another example is i think his inbounds plays are usually crap. Either he is making them and the players arent executing, or he isnt making them.

I think he is a top tier assistant in a head coach role.

Thunder Dan
06-14-2007, 08:43 AM
I just think he makes bad decisions as a head coach. Case in point, and not that it really mattered much, but it could have.

Cavs are down 3 in the final seconds of game 3. He was out of timeouts, pop still had 1 full and 2 20's i think.

Another example is i think his inbounds plays are usually crap. Either he is making them and the players arent executing, or he isnt making them.

I think he is a top tier assistant in a head coach role.

He doesn't even talk to the team during time outs when the Cavs get posession, and if he does it's sure as hell not about basketball. I've never seen a elite team have a 15 foot fade away drawn up for a inbound play. The Cavs did that all season.

ducks
06-14-2007, 09:35 AM
mike brown just needs experience he is learning with his team

zrinkill
06-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Yes

2centsworth
06-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Mike Brown is about as good as Pop was in '99.

BlackFlagg
06-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Did I miss something? How could you possibly argue that a finals appearance after a three year buildup is an indicator of his lack of coaching skills?

No kidding. Sure, he's made some mistakes, but look what the guy's accomplished.

michaelwcho
06-14-2007, 10:00 AM
He doesn't even talk to the team during time outs when the Cavs get posession, and if he does it's sure as hell not about basketball. I've never seen a elite team have a 15 foot fade away drawn up for a inbound play. The Cavs did that all season.

In his defense, it is NOT easy to impose your will on modern NBA players. The Spurs beat teams who are arguably more talented them because of their teamwork and discipline. LeBron's statement that Brown "lets them do what they want on offense" as long as they play defense is damning. Brown has been forced to loosen the reins on them in order to get them to play defense.

Is that an indictment of him as a coach? Not really. If he were PJ or Riley, maybe he could come in and get what he wanted. But when you are making $10 mil a year, you don't necessarily listen to authority figures like you once did. And Riley wore out his welcome in LA and perhaps NY, despite his incredible success.

Perhaps after watching the putrid state of their offense, the Cavs players will realize that they need to follow his orders not only on D, but also O.

Thunder Dan
06-14-2007, 10:04 AM
In his defense, it is NOT easy to impose your will on modern NBA players. The Spurs beat teams who are arguably more talented them because of their teamwork and discipline. LeBron's statement that Brown "lets them do what they want on offense" as long as they play defense is damning. Brown has been forced to loosen the reins on them in order to get them to play defense.

Is that an indictment of him as a coach? Not really. If he were PJ or Riley, maybe he could come in and get what he wanted. But when you are making $10 mil a year, you don't necessarily listen to authority figures like you once did. And Riley wore out his welcome in LA and perhaps NY, despite his incredible success.

Perhaps after watching the putrid state of their offense, the Cavs players will realize that they need to follow his orders not only on D, but also O.

I'm hoping either that, or they bring in a guy to help them out with it. I don't really see Lebron as a cancer that would disobey his coach, but I think that Brown's resposibility to create an offense that best suits his players, and right now he hasn't done that. Now that's not to say that with a PG he could do some more things, but only time will tell. And if players hit outside shows his offense looks pretty good.

ChumpDumper
06-14-2007, 10:25 AM
on't get me wrong, he has turned Cleveland into a pretty good defensive team, but our offense is horrible.That's because you only have two guys who can score on that team. The Cavs have overachieved under Brown.

Obstructed_View
06-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Given his improvement as a coach since he took over, I'd say he's going to be fine. He was really bad his first year, and the team is starting to follow his identity. James is improving as a leader, as well, and that's due to Mike.