PDA

View Full Version : Miami likes Vaughn- Spurs want to keep him

ploto
06-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Heat could be interested in Vaughn

CLEVELAND -- The Spurs enter tonight's game with a chance to sweep the Cavaliers and claim a fourth NBA title in nine seasons.

And there's a good chance San Antonio's dynasty won't come to an end anytime soon. The Spurs have Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili under contract for the next three seasons.

Team or player options that would bring back Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley and Fabricio Oberto for next season are likely to be exercised. Which leaves backup point guard Jacque Vaughn as the lone rotation player unsigned for next season.

Vaughn's availability as free agent this summer could spark interest from the Miami Heat, which likely will be in need of a backup for Jason Williams. Gary Payton, Williams' backup the past two seasons, will be a free agent July 1, but is leaning toward retirement. Williams also is entering the final year of his contract with the Heat.

Vaughn said Wednesday he is happy in San Antonio and would like to return, and Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said the team would try to re-sign Vaughn as Parker's backup. But Vaughn said he would consider offers from other teams that are in position to contend for a title.

''I'm with a special organization, and me and my family love it here,'' Vaughn said. ``I've been in all type of positions as a starter, a second guy and a third guy. Right now, it's only about winning. It's about finding a fit, an organization that will appreciate what I bring to the table, and the chance to win a ring.''

Vaughn (http://www.miamiherald.com/593/story/139064.html)

zrinkill
06-14-2007, 09:57 AM
please let him go .....

Brutalis
06-14-2007, 10:13 AM
thanks miami, you guys wanna help the real champs then go ahead

ChumpDumper
06-14-2007, 10:21 AM
I like Vaughn as our third-stringer, but if anyone wants to pay him more than the minimum he can be replaced.

DarrinS
06-14-2007, 10:22 AM
"Miami likes Vaughn"
Why?

"Spurs want to keep him"
Why?

ChumpDumper
06-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't know why he feels like he is allowed to shoot the damn ball everytime he touches it!Pop told him to.

ChumpDumper
06-14-2007, 10:32 AM
I heard PoP also told Tony to shoot it everytime...Told Finley to shoot it everytime and now Vaughn? Is there anyone Pop doesn't tell not to shoot?How long have you watched the Spurs? When a player is open, Pop wants him to shoot. Vaughn is often open.

Budkin
06-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Bye Vaughn

CubanMustGo
06-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Interesting that the author seems sure that Fabbs (player option) isn't going to get a better offer elsewhere.

Solid D
06-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Vaughn is a leader, whether he's on the floor or not. He has helped the Spurs tremendously this year and despite his weaknesses, his role spotting TP for 8-10 minutes each game, has been invaluable. How many times has Vaughn coughed up the ball before getting it past half court this year? Not many. How many times has he been trapped or pressed and not been able to break it? None, or not many. How many times has he come in, entered the offense and gotten the ball to players in a position to score? Plenty.

I'd say sign him again. He's one of the reasons the Spurs have been able to have a 10-man rotation throughout the playoffs...and you haven't seen that in a very long time.

ChumpDumper
06-14-2007, 11:04 AM
He's shooting 50% from the floor in the finals.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-14-2007, 11:05 AM
How come no one has merged the 2 threads yet?

ChumpDumper
06-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Mods need sleep too.

Obstructed_View
06-14-2007, 11:11 AM
see the problem is I don't watch the Spurs...thank you for clarifying that for me...I guess even though he keeps throwing up bricks he should just keep shooting because he is wide open!!!!!! If his shot isn't falling rotate it to another teammate...he is a damn point guard I think he could dribble a little and find the open man!
He's shooting 39 percent for the playoffs. Manu's shooting 40 percent for the playoffs. I'm not sure what you expect from him, since his job is mainly just to allow Parker to rest, but he has to shoot when he's open.

Seriously, considering the Spurs won two of their three championships because a point guard with a suspect outside shot wasn't afraid to pull the trigger when left open, what the hell do you expect?

texasqb2
06-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Interesting that the author seems sure that Fabbs (player option) isn't going to get a better offer elsewhere.

I don't think he will leave....the spurs gave him his chance...he starts alongside Timmy....he plays with Manu....it would take a lot for him to even consider leaving

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
06-14-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't know why the Vaughn-bashing continues. Compared to van-Worthless last season, he's been a solid backup option for Parker. We're one game away from the championship, people.

Obstructed_View
06-14-2007, 11:25 AM
I don't think he will leave....the spurs gave him his chance...he starts alongside Timmy....he plays with Manu....it would take a lot for him to even consider leaving
I agree. He invested so much time learning the system, and he's now so effective in it that the starting job next year is his for the taking. The only way he leaves is if it becomes obvious someone's going to throw stupid amounts of money at him.

Real Tomato Ketchup
06-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Vaughn is a leader, whether he's on the floor or not. He has helped the Spurs tremendously this year and despite his weaknesses, his role spotting TP for 8-10 minutes each game, has been invaluable. How many times has Vaughn coughed up the ball before getting it past half court this year? Not many. How many times has he been trapped or pressed and not been able to break it? None, or not many. How many times has he come in, entered the offense and gotten the ball to players in a position to score? Plenty.

I'd say sign him again. He's one of the reasons the Spurs have been able to have a 10-man rotation throughout the playoffs...and you haven't seen that in a very long time.

This is about the only senseable post in the worthless thread. All he does is steady the ship and not make mental errors. I hope to hell we are able to keep him and if you don't understand why then you don't understand much if any basketball.

ROCK CHALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solid D
06-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Vaughn's assist/TO ratio in the playoffs is the best on the team @ 2.45.

CubanMustGo
06-14-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree. He invested so much time learning the system, and he's now so effective in it that the starting job next year is his for the taking. The only way he leaves is if it becomes obvious someone's going to throw stupid amounts of money at him.

Well, with Isiah Thomas out there ...

I hope he stays - just that the amount of useful protoplasm at the NBA center position is very low. Someone might make him a really good offer.

SenorSpur
06-14-2007, 11:32 AM
I had initial concerns about Vaughn because of his suspect shooting. I understand he's worked some with Chip Engelland and there has been a slight improvement there. He could stand to improve his shooting even more. His on-the-ball defense is superb. So that works in his favor.

I really wouldn't have an issue with Vaughn staying for the right price. However, if the $$$ don't make sense, the Spurs should go after Chris Duhon.

tsb2000
06-14-2007, 11:33 AM

It's going to take a lot to break up Fabricio and Manu as teammates, I think.

ChumpDumper
06-14-2007, 11:36 AM
In a related story, Aaron Miles confirms he'll be on the Spurs' summer league team and adds he'll be in a few minicamps, including Milwaukee's.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2007/jun/14/camping_aaron_miles_and_mike_lee/

Solid D
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
While we are on the subject of assists and TOs. Has anyone noticed Francisco Elson's A/TO for the playoffs? I'm not even going to post them...they are too embarrassing.

CubanMustGo
06-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Does he have ANY assists? LOL

Capt Bringdown
06-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Seems to me the Vaughn's just an average journeyman...but look what a difference he would have made in last year's playoffs.

Pop's love affair with NVE was a disaster.

SenorSpur
06-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Seems to me the Vaughn's just an average journeyman...but look what a difference he would have made in last year's playoffs.

NVE was indeed a nightmare. THe Spurs FO is often lauded for their brillance - well deserved. That makes me wonder how a FO group as astute as they, could have made such a poor decision.

Everybody who watches basketball knew that NVE was finished after he left Denver. His kness simply could no longer endure the NBA grind night after night. Besides that, dude was unable to work out and stay in shape.

ChumpDumper
06-14-2007, 11:52 AM
They were hoping Beno would be the backup, just like this season. But picking up vets after their expiration date isn't anything new for the Spurs.

Mr. Body
06-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Pop stuck with Nick Van Exel the way he stuck with Robert Horry in Game 5 vs. Detroit - a gut check he felt would pay off. While NVE never paid off, Horry obviously did. Win some (mightily), lose some.

AFBlue
06-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Most Spurs fans have undervalued Vaughn's contributions (myself included). He didn't get that backup job by default, he clearly outplayed and outhustled Beno...he earned it.

Having said that, he's not worth more than the vet min....

MoSpur
06-14-2007, 12:38 PM
I didn't like Fab in the beginning, but he has stepped up in the playoffs no doubt.

PM5K
06-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Vaughn is a lot better than Udrih, but is that really saying much?

703 Spurz
06-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Why would he want to leave the Spurs? Why entertain other teams offers? He says he wants to go to a team that is a title contender (if he wasn't with SA).

Ok so then why leave? Money?

T Park
06-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Name another backup point guard on the roster who was better at the time.

ploto
06-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Brent Barry

Obstructed_View
06-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Beno Udrih

T Park
06-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Beno Udrih?

Wrong try again. Beno Udrih vs the mavericks would've lost the series in 5.

Brent Barry?

That scared Bitch?

Rewatch that series and tell me again you wanted that frightened little girl running the offense.

Try again.

Obstructed_View
06-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Beno Udrih?

Wrong try again. Beno Udrih vs the mavericks would've lost the series in 5.

Brent Barry?

That scared Bitch?

Rewatch that series and tell me again you wanted that frightened little girl running the offense.

Try again.
Here we go again with the "Spurs would have lost still, but sooner" defense. :lol

itzsoweezee
06-14-2007, 02:40 PM
NVE was indeed a nightmare. THe Spurs FO is often lauded for their brillance - well deserved. That makes me wonder how a FO group as astute as they, could have made such a poor decision.

Everybody who watches basketball knew that NVE was finished after he left Denver. His kness simply could no longer endure the NBA grind night after night. Besides that, dude was unable to work out and stay in shape.

are you serious? EVERYONE was loving that signing.

Obstructed_View
06-14-2007, 03:01 PM
are you serious? EVERYONE was loving that signing.
You are correct. Everyone was happy about it and figured he'd get saved up for the playoffs and do Horry like things. Unfortunately he had nothing, and beno played badly in a meaningless regular season game at the end of the season where everyone else played badly and wasn't given a shot. Again.

FromWayDowntown
06-14-2007, 03:18 PM
I think Vaughn has fit exactly what this team needed from that role last year. I don't think Beno was a realistic option against Dallas last season, regardless of how many people suggest to me that he has great talent -- he's got some talent, but he doesn't appear to work hard and he certainly has his confidence diminished easily, neither of which is a particularly redeeming trait for an NBA point.

I've suggested here before that had the Spurs been better behind Parker against Dallas last year, they could have and probably would have won that series. Van Exel's complete inability to provide any meaningful defense against Harris and Terry, coupled with his abysmal offensive output, forced the Spurs to overcome deficits that might not have existed with a better back-up point.

Say what you will about Vaughn, but by my count he's been in the positive on the plus/minus count in 15 of 19 playoff games to this point (2 of his negatives were impacted heavily by the Suns' 20-2 run in Game 5 and the Jazz's huge second half in Game 3). He's certainly not going to challenge anyone to be a starting point on a good team anytime soon, but he's a more than steady backup who gives Pop a steady hand who can afford Parker some much-needed rest. I'm not sure that the Spurs really need much more than that.

BIG IRISH
06-14-2007, 03:50 PM
I heard PoP also told Tony to shoot it everytime...Told Finley to shoot it everytime and now Vaughn? Is there anyone Pop doesn't tell not to shoot?

If you go back a few years Pop always told AJ Don't shoot uless your

within two feet of the basket and no one else is on your end of the floor :lol

Obstructed_View
06-14-2007, 05:52 PM
If Jacque Vaughn is on this team last year, Parker doesn't get injured in garbage time of a Kings game and enters the Dallas series healthy.