ducks
06-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Spurs fully expect Ginobili to rebound

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...i.2aa2681.html

Web Posted: 06/14/2007 12:21 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News

CLEVELAND — Manu Ginobili's poor play in Game 3 of the NBA Finals was one of the reasons the Cavaliers had a chance to get back into the series.
It might also be one of the reasons the Spurs complete a sweep tonight.

"I don't want to be smug about it," Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo said Wednesday, "but Manu not having a good game is almost a good thing, because that means a monster game is coming. Maybe it won't come tomorrow, but it's coming. Manu is definitely going to bounce back with something big."

The Spurs, of course, hope it happens tonight. After taking a commanding 3-0 lead in the best-of-7 series with a 75-72 victory over the Cavaliers on Tuesday, the Spurs have a chance to record the first Finals sweep since the Los Angeles Lakers ran over the New Jersey Nets in 2002.

A victory would give the Spurs their fourth title in nine seasons.

"Winning the next game means a sweep," Ginobili said, "but we will try to play as if it was Game 7."

Ginobili accounted for the Spurs' final three points in Game 3 by hitting three-straight free throws in a span of 10 seconds. The last two foul shots, which came with 5.5 seconds left, gave the Spurs the lead by the final score.

Although he finished with a team-high five assists, Ginobili had little to be proud of until he hit those free throws. In one of his worst playoff performances, he missed all seven of his shots from the field, committed three turnovers and scored just three points after entering the game with a 16.8 average.

"It was really a tough night for me," said Ginobili, who played 27 minutes. "I was not feeling good at all. I started to lose confidence, and the game didn't come to me. But I went to the line and made those last three (free throws). I was not in a great situation there because of my (lack of) confidence. But they went in, so it really helped."

Ginobili, who missed two shots in each of the first three periods, said a lack of spacing on the floor might have played a role in his sub-par outing.

"It was tight," he said. "Nothing seemed to be easy for either team. We were not making shots, and there was a lot of pushing and shoving and going to the boards really hard."

The clutch shooting from the free-throw line helped Ginobili avoid references to the game-turning foul he committed against Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki late in Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinals last year.

Ginobili blamed himself for the Mavericks' victory, which cost the Spurs a chance at repeating as champions. Although Ginobili says he hasn't thought about the foul all season, Carlesimo offered a different story.

"(The loss to Dallas) fueled Manu all year and will continue to fuel him until we get a championship," Carlesimo said. "It's never going to make up for that because we didn't get one last year. But I think what he went through last year helped him, helped all of us this year."

Fabbs
06-14-2007, 10:38 AM

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...i.2aa2681.html

Ginobili, who missed two shots in each of the first three periods, said a lack of spacing on the floor might have played a role in his sub-par outing.

"It was tight," he said. "Nothing seemed to be easy for either team. We were not making shots, and there was a lot of pushing and shoving and going to the boards really hard."
Hopefully the Spurs will open up more like Gm 1 and 2.
Less 4 Dumb ad nauseum like Gm 3.

CubanMustGo
06-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Although he finished with a team-high five assists

There's your problem in a nutshell. Spurs need to swing the ball and find the open man much better tonight.

And hitting some open shots would help the assist #s too.

samikeyp
06-14-2007, 10:44 AM
I agree. I think Manu goes off tonight.

Avitus1
06-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Manu will def have a better game, as will all of the Spurs.

Budkin
06-14-2007, 11:14 AM
I agree. I think Manu goes off tonight.

Totally.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Manu will def have a better game, as will all of the Spurs.:lol yeah, that's a given, wouldn't you say? I mean, he damn sure can't play any worst

efrem1
06-14-2007, 12:04 PM
:lol yeah, that's a given, wouldn't you say? I mean, he damn sure can't play any worst

only if he goes butterfingers and turns the ball over more.