View Full Version : i hope this doesnt happen

kontrolheat
06-14-2007, 12:06 PM
ROUNDUP
Heat could be interested in Vaughn
BY MICHAEL WALLACE
[email protected]
Related Content
With another title, would Duncan surpass Shaq?
Bowen could be Spurs' MVP

CLEVELAND -- The Spurs enter tonight's game with a chance to sweep the Cavaliers and claim a fourth NBA title in nine seasons.

And there's a good chance San Antonio's dynasty won't come to an end anytime soon. The Spurs have Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili under contract for the next three seasons.

Team or player options that would bring back Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley and Fabricio Oberto for next season are likely to be exercised. Which leaves backup point guard Jacque Vaughn as the lone rotation player unsigned for next season.

Vaughn's availability as free agent this summer could spark interest from the Miami Heat, which likely will be in need of a backup for Jason Williams. Gary Payton, Williams' backup the past two seasons, will be a free agent July 1, but is leaning toward retirement. Williams also is entering the final year of his contract with the Heat.

Vaughn said Wednesday he is happy in San Antonio and would like to return, and Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said the team would try to re-sign Vaughn as Parker's backup. But Vaughn said he would consider offers from other teams that are in position to contend for a title.

''I'm with a special organization, and me and my family love it here,'' Vaughn said. ``I've been in all type of positions as a starter, a second guy and a third guy. Right now, it's only about winning. It's about finding a fit, an organization that will appreciate what I bring to the table, and the chance to win a ring.''

The Heat, a year removed from a title and with Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O'Neal under contract for three more seasons, would qualify.

Vaughn, 32, earns just less than $1.1 million this season, his second with the Spurs, and averages 3.0 points and 2.0 assists in 12 minutes. He has played in 58 playoff games in 11 seasons.

His defensive ability and playoff experience -- and the relatively low salary he likely would command -- could generate interest from salary cap-strapped teams like the Heat. But Vaughn's limited offense could be a deterrent. Miami owns picks No. 20 and 39 in the June 28 draft and could address its need there.

But the more likely option would be to acquire veteran help through a trade or free agency. Among the more expensive options available this summer are Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Milwaukee's Maurice Williams and Sacramento's Mike Bibby. Vaughn is among low-cost backup options with playoff experience that include Denver's Steve Blake, Memphis' Chucky Atkins, the Lakers' Smush Parker and Orlando's Keyon Dooling.

HARD TO WATCH

With TV ratings on pace to be among the worst in Finals history, Tuesday's defensive slugfest between the Spurs and Cavs did little to keep fans interested in the series.

The 75-72 final score was tied for the second-lowest combined point total in Finals history.

Game 3 received a 6.4 national TV rating and an 11 share on ABC, down 20 percent from the 8.0/14 for last year's Game 3 between the Dallas Mavericks and the Heat.

Cavs forward Drew Gooden was asked Wednesday if the games are as difficult to play in as they have been for fans to watch.

''It was fun competing,'' Gooden said. ``At the end of the day, it wasn't fun to lose. We gave everything we had. I watched the tape and there's nothing I would take back.''

AROUND THE LEAGUE

• Timberwolves: Minnesota reached an agreement to trade point guard Mike James to Houston for power forward Juwan Howard, James' agent, Bill Duffy, said Wednesday night. The Timberwolves and the Rockets declined to comment about the trade Wednesday night.

• Pacers: Dick Harter was hired as an assistant to new coach Jim O'Brien. Harter was an assistant in Indiana from 1986-88 and 1997-2000.

• Bobcats: Coach Sam Vincent completed his staff by hiring former NBA center Paul Mokeski as an assistant coach.

This report was supplemented with material from Miami Herald Wire

monosylab1k
06-14-2007, 12:06 PM
P-O-Z?

kontrolheat
06-14-2007, 12:07 PM
yes its me P-O-Z